(Topic ID: 81852)

Announcement: Used games not covered under warranty even if warranty period.

By Benepinballs

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 181 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by ignusfast
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

used-101.jpg
There are 181 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 10 years ago

The "official" policy is one thing, and for legal reasons probably needs to be as stated, but has anyone had an experience yet where JJP did not try to take care of a problem they were having with WOZ?

#102 10 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

The problem from my perspective is that (and somebody correct me if I'm wrong) you can only legitimately buy a WOZ by pre-ordering years in advance. There doesn't appear to be any stock of brand new WOZ machines sold by authorized destributors. So, if you want to buy a WOZ and actually GET IT simultaniously, you have to give up your warranty rights. This puts Jersey Jack in a substantially different position than a company like Rolex, or Pioneer, where you are able to get a product pretty much immediately upon payment (or within a reasonable time after you pay).
In other words, by refusing to honor warranties due to a sale by the original owner to a 3rd party, Jersey Jack is basically preventing buyers who aren't willing to preorder from safely buying games on the secondary market. The ultimate message being sent is, "you better pre-order otherwise your warranty is questionable." As a potential purchaser, it's a little annoying because, if I want to buy a WOZ with a warranty, I have to wait for some indefinate period of time and I'm not comforatable with that business model. If I send $8000 to Jersey Jack, I have no true guaranty I'll get my money back if the company goes under. So, it's either, risk my funds by sending them to Jersey Jack and wait for an indefinate period so that I get a warranty, or, I buy one on the secondary market, get my game immediately, but risk having no warranty at all. I don't really like either of those options.
It seems to me that, because WOZ is not available to purchase on the primary market under normal terms (i.e. you get the product shortly after ordering) the reasonable thing to do would be to honor warranties for the first year regardless of transfer of ownership, so long as the transfer of ownership is registered with Jersey Jack. Or, in the alternative, make sure that there is stock available for the general public to buy. This whole "preoder" thing just causes a mess for so many reasons. Hopefully we'll see a move away from that model.

Wrong. Distributors have games to sell, I have a WOZ LE that I am selling. There are other WOZ LE's from distributors that I expect will come up as well. Not all distributors go and find a buyer in order to commit to games ... I didn't and there are many others who didn't as well, so when they get theirs there will likely be some popping up for sale.

#103 10 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

It's a very easy move for a company that is confident in their product and market to say "Warranty is 1 year from date of manufacture" and not give two sh!ts about how it ended up in the customers hands.
In my opinion, there are very few reasons not to do that from a customer service standpoint.
I guess Jack can't have people cancelling their pre-order when they figure out they can get the same thing for less, and right now to boot.

So is this a question of confidence in their product or a question of business model/process? Seems to me like it could be the latter. Bene wants to seem to bypass the business model set up by jjp

#104 10 years ago
Quoted from flecom:

so if I buy something with a 1 year warranty at best buy and it breaks 6 months later best buy is going to help me? no way man it falls on the manufacturer... resellers are just that, resellers, some might be nice enough to give you a 30 day return policy, but how does the *manufacturer* warranty fall on the reseller? it's called a manufacturer warranty for a reason...

Ok, let's use this example. You buy your "something" from Best Buy and register the warrantee. Then you sell it to me. I contact the manufacturer with a problem. What does the manufacturer do?

Everyone will have opinions on the answer to that question. They will range from what they "should" do, to what they have to do by law. But in the end I have heard of exactly one example of someone not getting a board they needed, and it was because the manufacturer was currently out of stock.

#105 10 years ago

Which part didn't you understand?

#106 10 years ago
Quoted from Benepinballs:

Jack himself has announced that if you are the original owner and bought your game from the JJP or an authorized distro, and you sell it within the 1 year warranty period, the warranty is void. Even if you have waited 3 years for your game and get it and decide you don't want it anymore.
That simple.

This is NOT true, spoke with JJP 2 days ago regarding this very topic and they claim that even after the 1 year they will take care of all known issues, WOZ light boards etc.

#107 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

The game has a warranty - to the first person that bought it. That person is Bene, and the person providing support would be the distributor that sold it to Bene. That distributor will not support Bene's buyer, as there is no relationship between them.
This is not rocket science, folks.. industry standard practices here. Jack was being nicer than standard by going above and beyond for repairs, and Bene is trying to take advantage of that by acting as a distributor when he most certainly is not. Jack is simply warning potential purchasers of this.

What if the original buyer did not register the warranty? than anyone who owns said item is entitled to repairs within the warranty period.

#108 10 years ago
Quoted from Hobbypinball:

So is this a question of confidence in their product or a question of business model/process? Seems to me like it could be the latter. Bene wants to seem to bypass the business model set up by jjp

My post sounds harder on JJP than I would have liked, because I think both of them are probably right in their own ways. JJP's post got under my skin a little to be honest.

In this specific example of Bene's game, a buyer would have to weigh the lower price with a 90 day warranty vs. a higher priced one with a year warranty. I think Jack purposely exploited that fact to make it harder for bene to sell the game. I don't think that's a cool move if that was in fact his motive.

#109 10 years ago

Misfitdart are your reading the thread ???
Read what Jack posted.

#110 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Wait, I thought this was already known? For any manufacturer, Stern included? PPS MM remake too. Warranty doesn't transfer. Any service you get is because they want to, not because they have to.

is must be kindof obvious to the group here that if the warranty transferred then there would be ALOT of people flipping the games, speculating on games, not charging sales tax (where distributors have to), making it hard for the manufacturer to know the history and situation with a product that they are trying to maintain ... put yourself in the situation of a product which readily gets passed around (unlike a stove or refridgerator), and can you imagine the mess that a mfg would have to deal with ... there are usually reasons why things are the way they are.

#111 10 years ago

"Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me." -Tommy Boy

#112 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

there are usually reasons why things are the way they are.

Agreed, you're just following standard industry practice here. I do think you're going to have some of the same concerns as JJP, simply because your tech is new, and the "well just fix it yourself" attitude that would apply to old MMs won't be the same with your MMrs. But you're using standard hardware, like the BeagleBoard, so that will probably help.

#113 10 years ago

JJP should sell a warranty to second owners if they prove they are the ones opening the pin.

#114 10 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

JJP should sell a warranty to second owners if they prove they are the ones opening the pin.

That would REALLY get the poopnado winds flying. Can't you hear the screams from the usual suspects? They would go I to a tizzy.

#115 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

is must be kindof obvious to the group here that if the warranty transferred then there would be ALOT of people flipping the games, speculating on games, not charging sales tax (where distributors have to), making it hard for the manufacturer to know the history and situation with a product that they are trying to maintain ...

Yeah, that policy has *really* prevented people from speculating on Stern LE's in the past few years.

#116 10 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

If I was a Stern shill, this is exactly what I would post here.

Derek is the biggest Stern fan ever, he gets excited about every new game coming out. You can't begin to understand the passion he has for Stern largely because without them JJP wouldn't even exist and we would most likely have no new pinball right now. He is not a shill however, he doesn't get a dime from stern. They should probably hire him as a PR man though, no one has the passion for Stern that he does.

#117 10 years ago

I like turtles.

Post edited by Joshmx19 : Meh I have no dog in this fight! Why bother...

#118 10 years ago

There were a lot of individuals that proclaimed WoZ was the "best built, highest quality pinball machine ever". This was before any were delivered to cash paying customers. Can anoyone out there still say this with a straight face?

Not imho, by the way.

#119 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The Pioneer is a different issue altogether.
When you buy a Pioneer product in the USA, you are being supported by a company called "Pioneer Electronics USA". This is a totally different company than the Pioneer located in Japan.
Pioneer Electronics USA buys receivers from Pioneer and distributes them in America. They make a profit on each one they sell, and offer warranty service on each one they sell.
If you buy a Pioneer receiver that is sold outside of the USA (the so called "grey market"), Pioneer Electronics USA never made any profit on it. Since they never made any money on it, they are not going to warranty it.
The actual Pioneer company in Japan WILL warranty their products, no matter where you bought them - but you have to send the receiver to Japan for service.

Soo....I have to send my woz to Japan.....faq...

#120 10 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Now that's interesting. Wonder what a warranty would look like that someone could buy at any time similar to apple care. Maybe exclude routed games.......based on number of plays or something. Would have to expire at some point, but wonder if something could be slipped into the code to track overall games played and total powered on time. As long as the game is under certain thresholds, someone could buy in on a warranty. This would be more for electrical components vs broken plastics and playfield wear - electrical vs mechanical. Not sure if thats feasable, but kinda interesting. Like pinball owner insurance. Lower monthly rates to defer the one time big cost of something major going? eh actually sounds like a crappy idea.

#121 10 years ago

How much do the common failures like light boards and the computer cost? It would be good to know this to decide if buying used is worth the gamble and to negotiate prices. Seems to me that it would be more wise to buy used but open and played because if any problems were to come up they would have hopefully happened already and would have been fixed under warranty.

#122 10 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

The "official" policy is one thing, and for legal reasons probably needs to be as stated, but has anyone had an experience yet where JJP did not try to take care of a problem they were having with WOZ?

See my story about LTG giving out a Williams part number and saying It could be purchased online from pinball life or marco. JJP wouldn't even sell a replacement one! And that's on a one-owner game purchased directly from JJP!

Something's up.

IMHO.

#123 10 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

There were a lot of individuals that proclaimed WoZ was the "best built, highest quality pinball machine ever". This was before any were delivered to cash paying customers. Can anoyone out there still say this with a straight face?
Not imho, by the way.

I have only had my game for 3 days, but after opening, inspecting, and playing mine, I can confidently say that it is the "best built, highest quality pinball machine ever" I say this with a straight face, and with a history of owning dozens of games from many companies. You are more than welcome to come by my place and inspect the difference yourself.

No hate or spin intended.

#124 10 years ago
Quoted from Joshmx19:

Derek is the biggest Stern fan ever, he gets excited about every new game coming out. You can't begin to understand the passion he has for Stern largely because without them JJP wouldn't even exist and we would most likely have no new pinball right now. He is not a shill however, he doesn't get a dime from stern. They should probably hire him as a PR man though, no one has the passion for Stern that he does.

Yawn....I like turtles.

#125 10 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

Yawn....I like turtles.

Good one dude! Shouldn't you be asleep though? Wouldn't want to be late to work tomorrow, Jack hates that.

#126 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

That really worked for the Bumper buyers...

They never ever received them in the first place to need warranty, Phoenixing companies is definitely something that needs to be tightened up here.

#127 10 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

See my story about LTG giving out a Williams part number and saying It could be purchased online from pinball life or marco. JJP wouldn't even sell a replacement one! And that's on a one-owner game purchased directly from JJP!
Something's up.
IMHO.

Where can I see this story?

#128 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

is must be kindof obvious to the group here that if the warranty transferred then there would be ALOT of people flipping the games, speculating on games, not charging sales tax (where distributors have to), making it hard for the manufacturer to know the history and situation with a product that they are trying to maintain ... put yourself in the situation of a product which readily gets passed around (unlike a stove or refridgerator), and can you imagine the mess that a mfg would have to deal with ... there are usually reasons why things are the way they are.

Quality products from quality companies should have quality service and warranty policies. Warranty should be at least one year from date of manufacture regardless of where you bought it. There is not a problem with transferring warranty when buying a used car. And pinball prices are approaching that category. Perhaps the FTC should get involved and protect pinball consumers from manufacturers that cannot deliver a reliable product.

This eye opening warranty issue might have lost both JJP and PPS some pre-order sales.

#129 10 years ago

Jack's message says the warranty is not transferable. No warranty service from a game bought from an unauthorized seller. That game must have originally come from an authorized seller, so he is very clearly saying non transferable. If I'm an owner who bought nib, I'd be very upset with this as no warranty means the value of my game just fell in the secondary market. What they do in practice may be different, but I dont know that jack should have suggested the warranty is nott transferrable.

They should honor the warranty regardless of owner.

I know from experience that stern provides free parts regardless of owner even beyond the warranty period. I was the third owner of an xmen and was able to get parts, had to go through the original distributor, but no questions asked beyond that and part showed up in a matter or days, and it was an expensive part (DMD).

#130 10 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

If I'm an owner who bought nib, I'd be very upset with this as no warranty means the value of my game just fell in the secondary market.

I didn't buy one on the secondary market not because of the warranty but because there is only one source for parts and if that source decides not to sell you a part then out here that is what they call electronic waste and you have to pay to dump it.
Pinchroma says that you will be taken care of, Jack says you won't.
All games get old and resold so you can get a fresh title, I didn't buy it simply because I didn't want to get stuck with a broken white elephant nobody wants.
I run a biz that depends on repeat customers, if I blew off old money while chasing new money I would be out of business.
Customer service is job #1 that is how I put my competitors out of business.

#131 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

It wouldnt get flipped around if it was a keeper to many...

#132 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Okay, I looked into buying a new WOZ from an authorized dealer.

They are available at basically $8,500 for a standard and $9,500 for an LE. With that type of markup, I don't see the difference between what "flippers" are doing and what "authorized dealers" are doing except that buying from the authorized dealer means no risk of the warranty being voided. Both the authorized dealers and flippers are playing the market and it seems like the flippers are simply more able to react to the market and this is reflected in lower prices. As a customer, if I buy from an authorized dealer I'd be paying $2000 to $3000 extra for a 1-year warranty.

Something about the entire business model seems off to me. If customers are expected to capitalize the business then it's natural for them to want special treatement and this causes a whole host of problems which we continue to see played out here. The better model would be traditional capitalization but I presume that's not available for one reason or the other.

#134 10 years ago

Haven't read much post the opening thread so pardon if this had been repeated before. In aus if you buy a car from the show room and on sell the warranty is still valid and so it is with the woz if it ever arrived. Is the case the same car wise in the land of the free?

#135 10 years ago

This great news should result in a significant discount in the secondary market. Even so, future availability of replacement parts makes WOZ ownership a risk not worth taking to me.

http://www.villagebbs.com/forum/index.php/topic,23691.msg196922.html#msg196922

#136 10 years ago

People w

Quoted from SadSack:This great news should result in a significant discount in the secondary market. Even so, future availability of replacement parts makes WOZ ownership a risk not worth taking to me.
http://www.villagebbs.com/forum/index.php/topic,23691.msg196922.html#msg196922

People will continue to buy WOZ it's a great game and not because of a warranty so don't expect a big price dip because of this although there probably will be a dip because there are simply more of them out there. I didn't buy a Ford over a Lotus because Ford has a nicer warranty. Likewise if a potential parts problem scares you then I'd move on to something where it's not a problem.

#137 10 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

People w

People will continue to buy WOZ it's a great game and not because of a warranty so don't expect a big price dip because of this although there probably will be a dip because there are simply more of them out there. I didn't buy a Ford over a Lotus because Ford has a nicer warranty. Likewise if a potential parts problem scares you then I'd move on to something where it's not a problem.

Like a stern, bally or williams? Is that what you mean? I know a guy who used to buy Yugos. He doesn't buy them anymore.

#138 10 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

People w

I wouldn't have a problem buying a WOZ without a warranty IF most of the game specific/high fail parts like light boards/power supplies/Crystal ball screen, gear motors, etc. were readily available to purchase from parts stores such as Pinball Life or Bay Area at a reasonable price. I would also be concerned that if there was a shortage of parts that priority might be given to warrantied customers over non- warranteed customers if there weren't enough parts to go around. Single source vendor stuff like this scares me as I wouldn't want to end up with a 350 lb paperweight.

If any of my Bally/Williams/Stern games go down with a problem I just order the parts and fix it myself since parts are available. - There's really no need for a warranty in that case.

#139 10 years ago

You won't end up with a paperweight, but your concern is legit. Maybe it's time to price some of these high fault items like light boards just to see what you're in for.

Quoted from MikeS:

Single source vendor stuff like this scares me as I wouldn't want to end up with a 350 lb paperweight.

#140 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

You won't end up with a paperweight, but your concern is legit. Maybe it's time to price some of these high fault items like light boards just to see what you're in for.

How/Where are you going to price them from? They aren't available anywhere.

#141 10 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

Correct. People have tried to buy a set and JJP refuses to sell them.

#142 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Really . JJP wont sell replacement parts, but will only warranty the part, but if you don't qualify for the warranty you don't get the part?

Is that a hidden way to discourage reselling and grey market sales? Kind of like, I guarantee your machine will break down, but if you didn't purchase it from an approved source, you have a paper weight?

#143 10 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

Really . JJP wont sell replacement parts, but will only warranty the part, but if you don't qualify for the warranty you don't get the part?
Is that a hidden way to discourage reselling and grey market sales? Kind of like, I guarantee your machine will break down, but if you didn't purchase it from an approved source, you have a paper weight?

I have no idea and couldn't get a straight answer, all I could do was check for parts availability and couldn't find them or any idea what the boards would cost if I could.
I passed on the game, not worth the headaches with so many other titles out there.

#144 10 years ago

Gee, did anyone pick up the phone and ask Jack direct? (I hear he's not that hard to get a hold of)

#145 10 years ago

Unauthorized sales... Black market pinball machines lulz...

#146 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Gee, did anyone pick up the phone and ask Jack direct? (I hear he's not that hard to get a hold of)

ted, did you see vid's post about three up from you?

#147 10 years ago

I don't know ANYONE who has had a problem getting parts. Do you?

#148 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Quoted from MrDo:

Quoted from vid1900:

Quoted from tracelifter:

I have no idea and couldn't get a straight answer, all I could do was check for parts availability and couldn't find them or any idea what the boards would cost if I could.

Quoted from spfxted:

I don't know ANYONE who has had a problem getting parts. Do you?

Maybe you and I just interpret things a little differently.

#149 10 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

Maybe you and I just interpret things a little differently.

How? Find ONE person to post here that could not get a part and their machine is a paperweight.

#150 10 years ago

Your right ted.

I will disregard mr do's earlier post about a switch, here in this thread, vid's post confirming mr do's last post, and heck I will even disregard tracelifter's post.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

There are 181 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announcement-used-games-not-covered-under-warranty-even-if-warranty-period/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.