Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 129 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Mr_Tantrum
  • Topic is favorited by 38 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
    screenshot_01 (resized).png
    pinsound_plus_with_package.1200 (resized).png
    There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 6 years ago

Hello everyone!

We are excited to reveal the new PinSound sound card:
    PinSound Plus

Take a look at the specification, we've been working on it for the last 18 months!
    Discover PinSound+ features: https://www.pinsound.org/pinsound-plus/

We hope you'll enjoy this new upgrade for your pinball machine!

pinsound_plus_with_package.1200 (resized).pngpinsound_plus_with_package.1200 (resized).png

February 12th, 2018 – Today, PinSound is excited to reveal its new sound board for pinball machine: the “PinSound +”. With the best technology, this new generation sound board will completely change the game-play experience.

“When we designed the first PinSound board, 6 years ago, the pinball collectors were over enthusiastic”, said Nicolas MANAUD, co-director of the PinSound company. “We wanted to continue to improve the pinball player experience and to deliver the best possible product to our supportive customers”.

That’s why, with the help of hardware and sound engineers, we started from a clean-slate and made no compromise on a new version of the PinSound sound board. We kept the best and we added more features: premium noise isolation, 4 bands digital tone control equalizer, gold-plated RCA output connectors, …

This new ultimate sound card for pinball machines is compatible with more than 100 different pinball machines and allow pinball collectors to play with enhanced sound packages. The music is loud and clear and completely changes the player experience.

Pinsound is globally recognized as the best sound upgrade for pinball machines. The proprietary sound engine allows a perfect retro-compatibility with all the supported machines and lets musician’s creativity explodes.

This new PinSound + sound board is available right now on www.pinsound.org at a fantastic and competitive price of less than 0.044 BTC.

PinSound is a company based in Grenoble – France (near the Alps) – by the PinSound brothers, Nicolas & Timothée MANAUD. The company is driven by providing amazing products such as sound board, speakers kits and others pinball machines upgrades.

#2 6 years ago

Congratulations! Looks awesome!!

#3 6 years ago

Is this the model that you can add a programmable shaker motor to?
    Pinsound shaker motor available yet?

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

From the list of features:
    Shaker extension port *

*available soon

#5 6 years ago

"Soon" must mean something different in French.

#6 6 years ago

Congrats

Now please get going for SAM support!

#7 6 years ago

Some of the new features are nice, but....

As someone that owns 6 pinsound boards, I can say with certainty that what will sell more Pinsound boards is content.

According to your website - a full 75% of the games that you support only have the original ROM content available. While it does sound a little better on the Pinsound board, it's not enough to justify spending $400 on.

Then you have 22% of the games with "Community Remixes" - these are extremely hit or miss (ie, I don't really want to replace TFTC music with random heavy metal tracks).

That leaves us with *3* games with "Enhanced" mixes - Funhouse, MM and TZ. *THESE* are the reason people will buy a board from you. Make many more of these and you'll sell many more boards. Even at a minimum, if you just went and cleaned up the noisy/compressed sounds/music/voices from many of the 90's games, you'd sell a ton of boards.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

As someone that owns 6 pinsound boards, I can say with certainty that what will sell more Pinsound boards is content.
    According to your website - a full 75% of the games that you support only have the original ROM content available. While it does sound a little better on the Pinsound board, it's not enough to justify spending $400 on.
    Then you have 22% of the games with "Community Remixes" - these are extremely hit or miss (ie, I don't really want to replace TFTC music with random heavy metal tracks).
    That leaves us with *3* games with "Enhanced" mixes - Funhouse, MM and TZ. *THESE* are the reason people will buy a board from you. Make many more of these and you'll sell many more boards. Even at a minimum, if you just went and cleaned up the noisy/compressed sounds/music/voices from many of the 90's games, you'd sell a ton of boards.

Great points, analogous to ColorDMD, as they fly off of the shelf everytime a new game gets converted. Yes, you can buy a ColorDMD to replace your standard DMD and get multiple single color functionality, but it really shines when the game is fully converted and enhanced to multicolor....

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

I agree with all your points. I just wanted to point out that endprodukt and wooly both made good mixes for Jurassic park and lotr respectively. I bought because I had those two games, and I wouldn't have if it weren't for those mixes.

#10 6 years ago

I would like the control pots, and volume nobs on a remote board by coin door. Is that an aftermarket item? Or is there a remote control device?
    I know it's another board and wires, but the ability to have full control remotely or wired without pulling backglass would be nice. Might as well make the usb port down on remote board to. On second thought, why not mount pinsound down at coin door. Just sell the wire harness!

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

The exact reason why I never purchased one. I suppose the issue they would run into is licensing?

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

The exact reason why I never purchased one. I suppose the issue they would run into is licensing?

I think that was the case initially, but I believe they worked out an agreement with Rick @ PPS.

#13 6 years ago

"competitive price of less than 0.044 BTC."

What the f...k.......we can't list anything in actual money? Really? Price is listed on the site, why on earth the thing about bitcoin lol..

I guess this week it's 370 bucks, next week, it's going to be 900?

#14 6 years ago

I would like the control pots, and volume nobs on a remote board by coin door. Is that an aftermarket item? Or is there a remote control device?
    I know it's another board and wires, but the ability to have full control remotely or wired without pulling backglass would be nice. Might as well make the usb port down on remote board to. On second thought, why not mount pinsound down at coin door. Just sell the wire harness!

This is a fantastic idea! Guess it's time for PinSound ++

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

This is a fantastic idea! Guess it's time for PinSound ++

Quick research. It's the ribbon cable... need really long ones from head to coin door. Humm. I think I know that guy! Now i just mount to vertical board just inside coin door. Now I have full control when I want it, much faster and cleaner without bumping my backglasses and translites placing on other machines. Just clumsy.

#16 6 years ago

Is the PinSound Stereo 2.1 harness still needed for STTNG with the plus?

#17 6 years ago

$10 USB cable and $10 headphone cable and my USB port and headphone jack are at the coin door. Once initial setup is done you shouldn't need to tweak the on-board knobs much, I use the stock volume pot at the coin door for volume adjustments.

This board looks like it has a cat5 jack for a connection to the "Headphones Station" which I can only assume is a volume knob/headphone jack plate you can mount on the front of the machine. Wonder if that costs extra.

RCA outputs are neat if want to hook it up to your home theater system or something.

The original boards support a shaker correct? It's just not implemented in the software?

PinStudio update to 1.0 coming soon?

#18 6 years ago

The upcoming shaker kit will be compatible with PinSound + and also the PinSound 1 board.

Quoted from Blackjacker:

"Soon" must mean something different in French.

Bientôt

Quoted from alveolus:

Congrats
    Now please get going for SAM support!

Bientôt too

Quoted from Frax:

"competitive price of less than 0.044 BTC."
    What the f...k.......we can't list anything in actual money? Really? Price is listed on the site, why on earth the thing about bitcoin lol..

Just wanted to know who read the press release till the end, congrats

Quoted from JimB:

Is the PinSound Stereo 2.1 harness still needed for STTNG with the plus?

Yes, it's still recommended to rewire your speakers from mono to stereo.

Quoted from cabuford:

This board looks like it has a cat5 jack for a connection to the "Headphones Station" which I can only assume is a volume knob/headphone jack plate you can mount on the front of the machine.

The prototype of the Headphones Station is now finished, more information in the following weeks.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

I think that was the case initially, but I believe they worked out an agreement with Rick @ PPS.

Why isn't the Indiana Jones remix on there?

#20 6 years ago

What is the difference between the old board and the new?

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

Why isn't the Indiana Jones remix on there?

Licensing

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from Axl:

What is the difference between the old board and the new?

The main differences are:

- 4 bands digital tone control equalizer
    - sub booster control with a dedicated potentiometer: more precise than an simple on/off switch
    - dedicated line-out RCA gold-plated connectors (for an external subwoofer for example)
    - dedicated PinSound Headphone Station connector (this is a new accessory coming soon)
    - double extension ports (shaker, LED strip, custom mod/device activated on sound events, ...)
    - noise isolation improved
    - faster boot
    - RGBW backlit potentiometers
    - status & diagnostics LEDs
    - resettable fuses

The complete list of features is available here:
    https://www.pinsound.org/pinsound-plus/

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinSound:

- sub booster control with a dedicated potentiometer: more precise than an simple on/off switch
    - dedicated line-out RCA gold-plated connectors (for an external subwoofer for example)
    - dedicated PinSound Headphone Station connector (this is a new accessory coming soon)
    - double extension ports (shaker, LED strip, custom mod/device activated on sound events, ...)
    - faster boot
    - resettable fuses

And same price! The best feature on that list is the faster boot.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinSound:

- faster boot
    - resettable fuses

AMAZING!

#25 6 years ago

Any chance of supporting the CGC remakes? I'd buy today for headphone support on MMr, there doeant seem to be any solution there.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinSound:

Are these relaly effin' necessary? I mean, can we save $50 by not having them? How many people play with the backbox open to admire them? And now, admire them *with color*!

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

And same price! The best feature on that list is the faster boot.

This is always the problem when trying to release an updated version of a product that is already nearly perfect! Nice to see the product evolving, regardless. Congrats!

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mocean:

This is always the problem when trying to release an updated version of a product that is already nearly perfect! Nice to see the product evolving, regardless. Congrats!

You misunderstand, I think the update is great (PLEASE RELEASE THE SHAKER ADAPTER), I just meant that the faster boot is critically important to the board. If it can be fast enough to boot as soon as the game is ready, they will have achieved a perfect replacement. I do think they should have considered moving to an SDcard data source instead of USB, USB can be very slow and the board needs to scan hundreds of files
    Very quickly. Anyway, still kicking ass in my games!

#29 6 years ago

Will there be a solution for SAM Games in the Future?

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Are these relaly effin' necessary? I mean, can we save $50 by not having them? How many people play with the backbox open to admire them? And now, admire them *with color*!

You're right, if we had to do it again, we wouldn't add these LED, it has been a PITA to integrate them... We hope you'll still enjoy the product

Quoted from AbeVigoda:

Any chance of supporting the CGC remakes? I'd buy today for headphone support on MMr, there doeant seem to be any solution there.

I thought there was a headphone connector on MMr?

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

You misunderstand, I think the update is great (PLEASE RELEASE THE SHAKER ADAPTER), I just meant that the faster boot is critically important to the board. If it can be fast enough to boot as soon as the game is ready, they will have achieved a perfect replacement.

Depend on the game & CPU but on some pinball machine, the PinSound+ board is ready when the CPU boot sequence is finished.
    The shaker adapter is coming, we are working on it every week.

Quoted from Asael:

Will there be a solution for SAM Games in the Future?

Yes, it's on our roadmap.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

Has anyone installed the MM Enhanced sound packet BTW? I tried it with Pinsound and the song during the trolls remained looping in the background - it was annoying as hell and I had to remove the Pinsound altogether. I would like to hear if its working for someone and did they do something to the enhanced sounds to get it working? PM works too.

#32 6 years ago

I hope they redid TAFG sound card!The one out now IS better than stock,But,its in bad need of tuning! Some callouts come on top of another,2 at a time,gets sounding amateurish! IMHO!!!

#33 6 years ago

huh, I actually like that, because you know what you’re hitting. Or maybe you’re referring to another phenomenon?

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinSound:

Yes, it's on our roadmap.

#35 6 years ago

Any discount on the old boards?

#36 6 years ago

If anyone is considering a Pinsound board and wants one sooner than later, PM me. I have one coming on Saturday or Monday. Something came up and I need to get money back. I can ship immediately if you want one next week. Let me know if anyone is interested otherwise I'll probably start an ad when I get it. It will be brand new, untouched. Thanks.

1 week later
    #37 6 years ago

Do these work in Gottlieb system 80's? I saw a thread a while back about modding out the sound in a Haunted House but can't seem to find it.

#38 6 years ago

I have 4 pinsound boards for TAF, DW, STTNG and TZ, including upgraded Pinsound stereo speakers and wiring. My main reason for installing in these machines was the number and variety of great soundtracks on the pinsound community forum e.g. STTNG is incredible. My main reason for not buying more is- NO soundtracks (beyond original).

If anything, the last year has seen a reduction in soundtracks e.g. the funky 70s Doctor Who soundtrack is gone. Presumably C&D letters. If nothing is done to improve the software AS WELL AS the awesome hardware, then Pinsound will die IMO, and none of us want to see that!

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinSound:

I thought there was a headphone connector on MMr?

Nope, not that I've been able to find, and I've seen several requests here for one.

1 week later
    #40 6 years ago

Hey PinSound will you be at TPF? I'm bringing my PinSound card for @tctx02's Getaway machine which will be in free play.

#41 6 years ago

PinSound
    It would be great to read a statement on content from your side. Features are nice, BUT, as you can see in this thread, NOT the main concern of your customers.

My personal take is: you might be over engineering the product at expense of something much more important.

#42 6 years ago

I just installed the new board along with a 12" Menace subwoofer on a Batman Data East last night. Mind blown! The sound quality is outstanding, giving you a true cinema-like experience. I had to play the machine for a couple of hours after installing just to let the new experience sink in.

The new board can take a table which has an OK sound mix and elevate it to a completely different level (by a factor of 10x - I'm really not exaggerating here guys). The on-board eq makes sound tweaks simple and customization easy.

Nicolas and Timothee you have an amazing product! The quality is beyond compare.

Also, huge shout out to Baptiste Serais! You have to check out the mix he created for Batman to see what's possible with the new board. The time, effort, and love really show through. Be sure to check his youtube channel out.

IMHO the first Batman '91 Data East table, with the Pinsound board and Baptiste's mix, is now the table to beat (of the available Batman tables).

I'm now on the lookout for other machines which the new board supports and also ready to jump into engineering some custom sound mixes.

Cheers!

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from djmoab:

I just installed the new board along with a 12" Menace subwoofer on a Batman Data East last night. Mind blown! The sound quality is outstanding, giving you a true cinema-like experience. I had to play the machine for a couple of hours after installing just to let the new experience sink in.
    The new board can take a table which has an OK sound mix and elevate it to a completely different level (by a factor of 10x - I'm really not exaggerating here guys). The on-board eq makes sound tweaks simple and customization easy.
    Nicolas and Timothee you have an amazing product! The quality is beyond compare.
    Also, huge shout out to Baptiste Serais! You have to check out the mix he created for Batman to see what's possible with the new board. The time, effort, and love really show through. Be sure to check his youtube channel out.
    IMHO the first Batman '91 Data East table, with the Pinsound board and Baptiste's mix, is now the table to beat (of the available Batman tables).
    I'm now on the lookout for other machines which the new board supports and also ready to jump into engineering some custom sound mixes.
    Cheers!

Welcome to the club, djmoab!

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from Kobaja:

pinsound
    It would be great to read a statement on content from your side. Features are nice, BUT, as you can see in this thread, NOT the main concern of your customers.

Im sure it’s licensing/copyright issues. They’ve only released one official soundtrack (funhouse) and i think they said it was all re-recorded.

I’ve had a blast creating the mixes for my Lethal Weapon 3 and I know I probably can’t post them due to copyright/licensing issues. If you want a plug n play sound set with a bunch of material they dont have the rights to use you’ve just got to create it yourself. I guess that’s the reality of this hobby. I still don’t understand how CPR gets the rights to a plastics set and then does a limited amount of runs. Anyway, back on topic.

The original mixes already sound better due to the quality of the card and amps. I (and my wife) love the headphone jack and I’m eager to see what they incorporate into the new headphone station.

It’s a great replacement if you want better quality and it’s also a tinkerers dream.

Here’s my Total Lethal Nuclear Weapon Annihilaton. Needs a bit of work but I hope TheNoTrashCougar would approve. I did buy the soundtrack directly from him.

#45 6 years ago

Question. On a Wpc 95 game, what part of the original sound board is still used. Just the dmd driver section? Or sound and dmd on original? Trying to figure out if the Pinsound board would work with a Wpc 95 game I'm having a sound issue with.

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from pin-pimp:

Question. On a Wpc 95 game, what part of the original sound board is still used. Just the dmd driver section? Or sound and dmd on original? Trying to figure out if the Pinsound board would work with a Wpc 95 game I'm having a sound issue with.

If you're adding a pinsound to a WPC95 game, it's a really good idea to add a standard DMD board (as in from a WPC89/DCS game - rottendog or originals both fine). This future-proofs your game since the WPC95 A/V board does not have replacements available

#47 6 years ago

The dmd side of the AV board works fine. Just a sound issue. So that was my question, will the Pinsound boards still work in a Wpc 95 game with existing sound issues on the original AV board

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from pin-pimp:

The dmd side of the AV board works fine. Just a sound issue. So that was my question, will the Pinsound boards still work in a Wpc 95 game with existing sound issues on the original AV board

You have to try it out. It -should- but if it doesn’t, just pull the A/V board and get the dmd board, bob’s your uncle.

#49 6 years ago

Is the enhanced TZ sound package the same as Chris Granner's mix used own the original board, or was this something specifically created for use with the Plus version? Just a bit confused.

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from jints56:

Is the enhanced TZ sound package the same as Chris Granner's mix used own the original board, or was this something specifically created for use with the Plus version? Just a bit confused.

Not sure which mix is the 'enhanced' mix ( did you see that term used somewhere?) but Granner's DCS mix is available for use with both boards. There are several other mixes available as well. The available Granner mix is all the original stuff Granner had done which was finished. There are a couple music tracks that were pulled from the music as-released because they weren't done on the DCS mix

There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announcement-pinsound-reveals-the-pinsound?hl=bkbirge and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.