1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 108 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Rdoyle1978
  • Topic is favorited by 40 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpeg
    screenshot_01 (resized).png
    pinsound_plus_with_package.1200 (resized).png

There are 108 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 6 months ago

Are there any plans to emulate the YM2151 sound chip on older games rather than rely on sample playback for everything? I ask because of the incalculable amount of "on the fly" dynamic programming tricks the sound designers used in these games is simply impossible to recreate faithfully through samples. For example, on Rollergames, they actually wrote into the code what chord was playing during each measure of music and almost all of the sound effects play "in key" with that chord (meaning if you were to hit the same target twice during two different measures of music with different chords, the sound you hear is slightly different to match the underlying music track).

YM2151 emulation has been pretty perfectly achieved in PinMAME, so I'm curious if this emulation would be ever be ported over to Pinsound for more faithful recreation of the original sound packages. I realize Pinsound's primary goal is to replace the old audio with custom audio, but for those that prefer the original, emulation really is the optimal way to go with the older games that use the YM2151.

#102 6 months ago
    Quoted from Pinwizkid:

Are there any plans to emulate the YM2151 sound chip on older games rather than rely on sample playback for everything? I ask because of the incalculable amount of "on the fly" dynamic programming tricks the sound designers used in these games is simply impossible to recreate faithfully through samples. For example, on Rollergames, they actually wrote into the code what chord was playing during each measure of music and almost all of the sound effects play "in key" with that chord (meaning if you were to hit the same target twice during two different measures of music with different chords, the sound you hear is slightly different to match the underlying music track).
    YM2151 emulation has been pretty perfectly achieved in PinMAME, so I'm curious if this emulation would be ever be ported over to Pinsound for more faithful recreation of the original sound packages. I realize Pinsound's primary goal is to replace the old audio with custom audio, but for those that prefer the original, emulation really is the optimal way to go with the older games that use the YM2151.

A PinSound product that was a synthesizer instead of a sampler would be amazing! Come on France! You won the World Cup! Now is the time!

#103 6 months ago
    Quoted from Pinwizkid:

Chris Granner was on here a little while ago talking about this in relation to Twilight Zone (a bit), and Whitewater in particular - he talked about how on WW the music will speed up in certain multi alls, and that this couldn’t be replicated in the current Pinsound

It seems a big stretch to be able to emulate the synthesiser chips - at that point, why use PinSound at all? It would be prohibitively time consuming to somehow re-map all the sounds to higher-quality synth patches, and I don’t know if it would ever be possible to get every combination of sound and settings

But the brothers could implement a speed-up and a key change aspect to the playback, which would roughly emulate what you are referring to

#104 6 months ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

A PinSound product that was a synthesizer instead of a sampler would be amazing! Come on France! You won the World Cup! Now is the time!

XLOL!

#105 6 months ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It seems a big stretch to be able to emulate the synthesiser chips - at that point, why use PinSound at all? It would be prohibitively time consuming to somehow re-map all the sounds to higher-quality synth patches, and I don’t know if it would ever be possible to get every combination of sound and settings

I was talking more about the original YM2151 audio rather than any upgraded audio. YM2151 emulation has existed for over a decade and I feel as though if it could be implemented, it would save a TON of time on Pinsound's end due to not having to sample every sound effect and music track from the games that use this chip. This would also turn Pinsound into a plug and play repro sound board for pretty much every system 11 game, early WPC game, and even a few Gottlieb and Data East titles (not to mention you'd get 100% accuracy in all the dynamic programmed based sound alterations that simply cannot be accurately sampled).

#106 6 months ago
    Quoted from Pinwizkid:

I was talking more about the original YM2151 audio rather than any upgraded audio. YM2151 emulation has existed for over a decade and I feel as though if it could be implemented, it would save a TON of time on Pinsound's end due to not having to sample every sound effect and music track from the games that use this chip. This would also turn Pinsound into a plug and play repro sound board for pretty much every system 11 game, early WPC game, and even a few Gottlieb and Data East titles (not to mention you'd get 100% accuracy in all the dynamic programmed based sound alterations that simply cannot be accurately sampled).

I see - perhaps that will make its way into a Pinsound 2.0!

1 month later
    #107 5 months ago

I want to bump this for anyone that has one. If I put this on a doctor who, what ELSE must I buy besides the board? Do I HAVE to make this stereo? Do I need the 40 dollar wpc"reset board" thing from their website? How easy/hard is this to install? Does it use the same connections that the old board uses?

#108 5 months ago
    Quoted from jorant:

I want to bump this for anyone that has one. If I put this on a doctor who, what ELSE must I buy besides the board? Do I HAVE to make this stereo? Do I need the 40 dollar wpc"reset board" thing from their website? How easy/hard is this to install? Does it use the same connections that the old board uses?

All those answers are “depends” - do you need stereo? No. Do you want it? Yes. You may not need Rob Kahr’s reset board - My game did not, and I had every mod conceivable on it. ColorDMD, pinsound, lit speaker panel, moving Dalek, etc.

Yes it uses the same connections. From your questions though I STRONGLY encourage you to read the install instructions and download and play around with pinsound studio. It can be a lot to deal with the first time you install one. Installation is easy as far as the hardware, the sounds can be complicated to install the first time

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 159.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 50.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    $ 25.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 17.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 10.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 90.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    $ 1,000.00
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    There are 108 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside