Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 146 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by arcademojo
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

U8 RAM replacement (resized).png
    IMG_6867 (resized).JPG
    wpc.jpg
    u25.jpg
    soldered.jpg
    resistors.jpg
    pins2.jpg
    pins1.jpg
    ohmy.jpg
    last_step.jpg
    holder_removal.jpg
    great_success.jpg
    empty_socket.jpg
    desoldering.jpg
    IMG_1488.jpg
    anyPIN DMD+.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider epthegeek.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#117 8 years ago

Installed my first AnypinDMD+ today in a Cyclone (System 11b) - Figured I'd document it. Maybe give somebody else on the fence enough courage to do their pins, and do away with evil batteries.

Even though the batteries in the game now are good - at some point, something leaked on it a bit and the connector is corroded. It hadn't crawled down the leg to get to anything else yet though. At least, not that I could tell anywhere.

ohmy.jpgohmy.jpg

Since that thing is infected, it's got to go. I don't have a big enough tip for my Hakko 808 to do the legs on that mother, so I snipped them and then just heated each one to remove.

holder_removal.jpgholder_removal.jpg

Since I'm putting it in a System 11, there was a little prep work to the any pin. It came set for 6264, so I had to desolder that jumper and connect the one for 6116. Then I had to add the 2 - 10k resistors to the bottom. I only had through hole resistors, but they worked fine and weren't too much of a pain. Hardest part was bending the legs to line up nice.

resistors.jpgresistors.jpg

Since I'm using it as a 6116, I removed the extra 4 pins from the socket while I was at it. Just cut the socket strip and used the hakko desolder gun to get them loose.

pins1.jpgpins1.jpg
    pins2.jpgpins2.jpg

Then On to the board! The victim:

u25.jpgu25.jpg

Note how it sits back in the board away from the marked #1 pin - don't be fooled!
    The desolder gun makes removing junk from boards SO easy. Really glad I picked that thing up from the pinside group buy thread.

desoldering.jpgdesoldering.jpg

Nice and tidy. Also empty.

empty_socket.jpgempty_socket.jpg

Soldered in the new one as cleanly as my inexperienced self could.

soldered.jpgsoldered.jpg

Great Success!

great_success.jpggreat_success.jpg

Just one more thing to do ...

last_step.jpglast_step.jpg

#118 8 years ago

Did my two actual DMD pins that needed it today too (TOM & CFTBL). More straightforward on those, just desolder and plop it in.

wpc.jpgwpc.jpg

1 year later
    #137 6 years ago
    Quoted from billsfanmd:

How hard is this to do on scared stiff? Is chip socketed? A little nervous trying this on a friends pin

Williams stuff is not socketed. It's a soldering job.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider epthegeek.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announcement-introducing-anypin-dmd-nvram-battery-eliminator?tu=epthegeek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.