Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 146 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by arcademojo
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

U8 RAM replacement (resized).png
    IMG_6867 (resized).JPG
    wpc.jpg
    u25.jpg
    soldered.jpg
    resistors.jpg
    pins2.jpg
    pins1.jpg
    ohmy.jpg
    last_step.jpg
    holder_removal.jpg
    great_success.jpg
    empty_socket.jpg
    desoldering.jpg
    IMG_1488.jpg
    anyPIN DMD+.JPG

There are 146 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 9 years ago

Now live, in stock, and shipping from Pinball Life...

www.PinballLife.com

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#102 9 years ago

Ultimately my goal is no more batteries on boards, ever. I've been asked a couple of times for stickers for games that use other brands of NVRAM. I think it's a good idea to help keep boards battery free.

So, free stickers for all!! Available to anyone that wants them, NO BATTERIES NEEDED! stickers. Doesn't matter where you got your NVRAM. Just send a self-addressed, stamped envelope, how many you'd like, and the type of NVRAM, to the address on my site, and I'll send you however many you need.

The non-anyPin version of course won't say anyPin on it.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#103 9 years ago

Here are my pins...I'd like to order this for all of them...Two questions so I know what to order, 1) which NVRAM do I need and 2) do I need to add a socket to make this work? Thanks

WhiteWater
    Metallica LE
    BTTF
    DE SW
    Roadshow
    Funhouse
    Dr. Dude
    F14

#104 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Here are my pins...I'd like to order this for all of them...Two questions so I know what to order, 1) which NVRAM do I need and 2) do I need to add a socket to make this work? Thanks
    WhiteWater
    Metallica LE
    BTTF
    DE SW
    roadshow
    Funhouse
    Dr. Dude
    F14

Any of the versions of anyPin will work in all of your games (except Metallica, it's not needed), except the 5101 version.

BttF and SW will be socketed from the factory, quick install. The Williams games didn't have their RAM socketed from the factory, but could have been done their life. You'll need to check the RAM in those, U8 in the WPC, and U25 in the System 11 games.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#105 9 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

Any of the versions of anyPin will work in all of your games (except Metallica, it's not needed), except the 5101 version.
    BttF and SW will be socketed from the factory, quick install. The Williams games didn't have their RAM socketed from the factory, but could have been done their life. You'll need to check the RAM in those, U8 in the WPC, and U25 in the System 11 games.
    --
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

Great, thanks! So can I order the DMD+ which I believe is the least expensive option? Thanks again

#106 9 years ago

Yes, anyPin DMD+ will work in all of those. Shoot a photo of U25 in the F14, or send me the numbers on the chip and I'll set up anyPin for that game before it ships.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#107 9 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

Any of the versions of anyPin will work in all of your games (except Metallica, it's not needed), ...
    --
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

I'm curious.. why is not needed? Is that on any new-ish Sterns?

#108 9 years ago

New/sam stern games use a coin style battery. Those batteries have longer life and are less likely/don't leak.

#109 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rickwh:

New/sam stern games use a coin style battery. Those batteries have longer life and are less likely/don't leak.

Exactly. I can likely swap the RAM on a SAM board with NVRAM for anyone interested, but really don't see the need.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

1 week later
    #110 8 years ago

@Rob:
    Is there something to observe in a Rottendog WPC98 CPU Board (Part Number MPU089). In U8 there is a U62256ADC07LLG1. I have no experience with the RD-CPU-Boards. Are there jumpers to be changed?

#111 8 years ago

Another positive review for anyPin DMD. Bought it from Rob at TPF for my DE SW. Took about 2 minutes to swap. Best money i have spent in a while.

#112 8 years ago
    Quoted from german-pinball:

@Rob:
    Is there something to observe in a Rottendog WPC98 CPU Board (Part Number MPU089). In U8 there is a U62256ADC07LLG1. I have no experience with the RD-CPU-Boards. Are there jumpers to be changed?

The Rottendog MPU089 uses a socketed RAM at U8 and needs nothing more than to install the anyPin. The 62256 at U8 comes out, anyPin set as 6264 goes in, done.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#113 8 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

Rob, can you install whatever part is needed in my MM and Banzai Run at the TPF? I'll have them there and it would be way easier if you help.

Follow up post

I purchased this for my MM and Banzai Run at the Texas Pinball Festival. Rob installed them for no charge and they worked perfectly. This is a great product!

#114 8 years ago

Thanks guys!! Great to see batteries being eliminated!

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#115 8 years ago

I bought a DMD+ at MGC last weekend and installed it in my T2, works great. Thanks Rob!

2 weeks later
    #116 8 years ago

Just a reminder for anyone going to an upcoming show I'll be set up at. If you bring a game to the show for others to enjoy on free play, I'll install your anyPin for free. Just bring me the CPU from the game and your anyPin and I'll give it back to you with a new socket and anyPin installed so no batteries are even needed again.

Also, I'm offering any anyPin install special at shows. Bring me your boards and your anyPin, and I'll install a socket for the anyPin for only $15. This special is good on any version of anyPin, not just the anyPin DMD+.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

1 month later
    #117 8 years ago

Installed my first AnypinDMD+ today in a Cyclone (System 11b) - Figured I'd document it. Maybe give somebody else on the fence enough courage to do their pins, and do away with evil batteries.

Even though the batteries in the game now are good - at some point, something leaked on it a bit and the connector is corroded. It hadn't crawled down the leg to get to anything else yet though. At least, not that I could tell anywhere.

ohmy.jpgohmy.jpg

Since that thing is infected, it's got to go. I don't have a big enough tip for my Hakko 808 to do the legs on that mother, so I snipped them and then just heated each one to remove.

holder_removal.jpgholder_removal.jpg

Since I'm putting it in a System 11, there was a little prep work to the any pin. It came set for 6264, so I had to desolder that jumper and connect the one for 6116. Then I had to add the 2 - 10k resistors to the bottom. I only had through hole resistors, but they worked fine and weren't too much of a pain. Hardest part was bending the legs to line up nice.

resistors.jpgresistors.jpg

Since I'm using it as a 6116, I removed the extra 4 pins from the socket while I was at it. Just cut the socket strip and used the hakko desolder gun to get them loose.

pins1.jpgpins1.jpg
    pins2.jpgpins2.jpg

Then On to the board! The victim:

u25.jpgu25.jpg

Note how it sits back in the board away from the marked #1 pin - don't be fooled!
    The desolder gun makes removing junk from boards SO easy. Really glad I picked that thing up from the pinside group buy thread.

desoldering.jpgdesoldering.jpg

Nice and tidy. Also empty.

empty_socket.jpgempty_socket.jpg

Soldered in the new one as cleanly as my inexperienced self could.

soldered.jpgsoldered.jpg

Great Success!

great_success.jpggreat_success.jpg

Just one more thing to do ...

last_step.jpglast_step.jpg

#118 8 years ago

Did my two actual DMD pins that needed it today too (TOM & CFTBL). More straightforward on those, just desolder and plop it in.

wpc.jpgwpc.jpg

#119 8 years ago

Eventually I will have these on all my games, sooner or later - except older SS, I'll just stick with memory caps for those but get rid of batteries!

#120 8 years ago

i bought my R&B at PATZ, and before i even loaded it up, i had one of these installed. Great product.

#121 8 years ago

You're awesome man!

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#122 8 years ago

I just installed 8 of them in all my B/W machines, they are great!
    After doing all of these, I just put one in my Stern without looking and used the same orientation...
    Stupid me, on whitestar they are upside down...gave a nice puf of smoke

#123 8 years ago
    Quoted from lyzanxia:

...whitestar they are upside down...gave a nice puf of smoke...

They are guaranteed for life. Send it back to the address on my site for a replacement.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#124 8 years ago

Thank you kindly for the offer, but I am in Europe and the shipment would be more than it's worth
    Great product at a great price, I love it!

#125 8 years ago

Great product Rob! Just installed it to my Simpsons Pinball Party. Works great and yeah, the notch faces down on that board layout.

Sidenote: Rob was super nice in person when I bought it from him at Pin-A-Go-Go.

#126 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinbob:

Great product Rob! Just installed it to my Simpsons Pinball Party. Works great and yeah, the notch faces down on that board layout.
    Sidenote: Rob was super nice in person when I bought it from him at Pin-A-Go-Go.

^^^^ Well said! ^^^^ Rob's the best! He's been over a number of times when passing through after PAGG. Finally have all my pins NVRAM'd out, Great product and a terrific guy too!!

2 months later
    #127 8 years ago

Just dropped one into my Rottendog MPU089 in Funhouse, took about 20 seconds. Glad to get batteries out of yet another machine!

#128 8 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

Just dropped one into my Rottendog MPU089 in Funhouse, took about 20 seconds. Glad to get batteries out of yet another machine!

Yeah, Rottendog boards are easy-as-pie, the RAM is always socketed.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#129 8 years ago

Rob has great customer service! He got my rollergames fixed up nice and it's playing great. I will be switch all of my games to the anypin as I go through them. Can't wait to get my firepower back and working!

1 week later
    #130 8 years ago

I may have missed it, does this work in Gameplan?

#131 8 years ago

Game Plan games used different RAM for settings than any other manufacturer. So unfortunately anyPin NVRAM Battery Eliminators don't currently support Game Plan games.

A solution is being worked on though, so hopefully soon we can announce support for Game Plan games.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

1 year later
    #132 7 years ago
    Quoted from lyzanxia:

After doing all of these, I just put one in my Stern without looking and used the same orientation...
    Stupid me, on whitestar they are upside down...gave a nice puf of smoke

It really should be noted more clearly on the lockwhenlit website where to install the RAM and what orientation it should be when installing. I had a super hard time finding this tiny bit of information on what orientation to install the Anypin DMD+ on a Stern Whitestar.

#133 7 years ago

Both issues you state are clearly addressed on the lockwhenlit website. There are links to installation location and type of NVRAM used on the website (Stern WhiteStar(U212)[6264] for example) as well as configuration/installation instructions.

Even if you don't read his links, you match the orientation of the chip you are replacing. Even if you've removed the old chip and it's gone, you can use the surrounding chips and/or PCB screen to determine proper orientation.

#134 7 years ago

Rob Borygard - are you going to be at the Cleveland show this year?

1 week later
    #135 7 years ago

Sorry jkyeakley for the delayed reply. I've taken a PinSide sabbatical over the last couple of months.

I currently have no plans to be at the Cleveland Show.

My current show schedule for this year can be found here...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/borygards-2017-show-schedule#post-3412822

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

3 months later
    #136 6 years ago

How hard is this to do on scared stiff? Is chip socketed? A little nervous trying this on a friends pin

#137 6 years ago
    Quoted from billsfanmd:

How hard is this to do on scared stiff? Is chip socketed? A little nervous trying this on a friends pin

Williams stuff is not socketed. It's a soldering job.

#138 6 years ago
    Quoted from billsfanmd:

Needs to be soldered. If you have not done it before dont practice on your friends game if you want to stay friends.

#139 6 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

Needs to be soldered. If you have not done it before dont practice on your friends game if you want to stay friends.

Thx. That's what I figured

#140 6 years ago

Which chip am I replacing

IMG_6867 (resized).JPGIMG_6867 (resized).JPG

#141 6 years ago
    Quoted from billsfanmd:

Which chip am I replacing

U8 U8 RAM replacement (resized).pngU8 RAM replacement (resized).png

#142 6 years ago

thx..was hoping it was socketed

#143 6 years ago

Interesting looking RAM there, never saw one with a groove running the length of the RAM, without any standard notch. But I'm not working with 100s of WPC machines or MPUs, so maybe it's normalish?

#144 6 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

Interesting looking RAM there, never saw one with a groove running the length of the RAM, without any standard notch. But I'm not working with 100s of WPC machines or MPUs, so maybe it's normalish?

Yes. I see that 62256 in many WPC95 boards and even pulled out one of the Sharkey's Shootout.

#145 6 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

It's a Fujitsu thing.

#146 6 years ago
    Quoted from billsfanmd:

Those are some tiny, tiny solder pads and traces. Even with sniping all the legs and unsoldering one pin at a time it's still walking on egg shells. I've done 3 WPC boards and that way and still pulled two pads. If your running to hot it will melt the adhesive right off the pad. Have him send it out.

There are 146 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announcement-introducing-anypin-dmd-nvram-battery-eliminator/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.