PPS_(resized).jpg
PPS_(resized).jpg
shame.jpeg
image.jpg
image-395.jpg
giphy[1].gif
cantwealljustgetalong.jpg
PopcornSmilee.jpg
There are 847 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 17.
#151 10 years ago

Long way to go yet but hey there trying so in time I'm sure it'll be perfect thanks for doing this its badly needed.

#152 10 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Time to judge for yourselves ...

Wow! The falling water effect is practically non-existant on the repro!

#153 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

It really depends on how the topper sits but regardless it is still not like the original. We are working on a new die that will be deeper on the micro-embossing and that is what gives it the effect.

We appreciate all of the PM and emails with the support as we are very frustrated after spending all of the money at this point. Regardless though we won't give up till it is fixed.

#154 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Well, I am relieved to know that it wasn't just me not seeing the waterfall, but I am sad to see this not going well. I hope they can figure out what is not quite right and get it corrected.

#155 10 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Time to judge for yourselves
original:
» YouTube video
repro:
» YouTube video
Scott

The repro looks too smooth around the waterfall. The light can't refract/reflect giving the effect.

#156 10 years ago

Has anyone considered a different animation technique altogether? There IS the scanimation (bars hide sections of a special photo, then as you scroll it along you see the animation). Would likely have to have a transparent roll with the bars spinning slowly on motorized rollers running in front of the printout instead of using flashing LED's (so it wouldn't be the same), but it would be quite effective
http://blogs.howstuffworks.com/2009/12/15/amazing-animated-optical-illusions-plus-how-to-make-your-own

Maybe if flexible LCD's (better yet color e-ink) gets reasonably cheap (and cheap), someone can just run a slideshow program and playback frames taken from photos of the original?

#157 10 years ago

We all are rooting for you to make this work. Please keep at it.

#158 10 years ago

What is the recommended action for those of us that purchased version 1?

1) Return it for a full refund?
2) Wait patiently for version 2?
3) ?????

Please advise. Thanks.

#159 10 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

3) ?????

Please advise. Thanks.

i would also like the answer to this.

#160 10 years ago

I got an email asking me to hold on to them as they produce a new foil decal...

Scott

Just keep the one we sent you for now. We are working to get this correct and will update you as soon as we get the embossing corrected. Once we get the deeper embossed decal we will send you one. Sorry for the hassle and thanks or your patience.

Dave

#161 10 years ago

I bought one from them 2 weeks ago. I sent an email asking if mine has been sent and if there was a tracking number and I still haven't heard anything back. I also would love to know the situation if they are holding mine back until they correct things or if they are sending/sent it out and will fix the decal situation later?

#162 10 years ago

The good thing is that it looks like they either got the embossing pattern exactly the same or very close to the original. Looking at the repop vs the original I couldn't see any difference in the PATTERN. As long as the effect gets straightened out I would probably buy one as a backup even though my original is really nice.

#163 10 years ago

What I can't figure out it why so many of the original ones got fu**ed up when they were protected under a plastic dome. Perhaps I'm just looking at it from a collector's mentality. I guess a lot of crazy shit happened out in the field over the years.

#164 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

What I can't figure out it why so many of the original ones got fu**ed up when they were protected under a plastic dome. Perhaps I'm just looking at it from a collector's mentality. I guess a lot of crazy shit happened out in the field over the years.

I think it is because between the bulbs in the dome being HOT and the game itself giving off heat, the temperature in the dome topper gets and stays very hot. So most toppers have decals with wrinkles or worse.

It is very common to see the topper have wrinkles in the decal.

#165 10 years ago

I am sure once they get this all figured out and it looks good, there will be a flood of orders for them.

I too have a WH20 and probably will buy a new topper (mine has the wrinkles) once they get the kinks worked out.

#166 10 years ago
Quoted from dankme:

I think it is because between the bulbs in the dome being HOT and the game itself giving off heat, the temperature in the dome topper gets and stays very hot. So most toppers have decals with wrinkles or worse.

Ah, so the dome kind of acted like an EZ-Bake oven trapping the heat? That makes sense. What can be done to prevent damage to the repro? I thought I read that you can't use LEDs because they are special bulbs.

#167 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Ah, so the dome kind of acted like an EZ-Bake oven trapping the heat? That makes sense. What can be done to prevent damage to the repro? I thought I read that you can't use LEDs because they are special bulbs.

Remember that out in wild, the machine is on ALL DAY LONG, DAY AFTER DAY. In a home environment, I doubt it will be much of a problem. I guess you could always drill some holes in the top of the dome to vent though.

#168 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I read that you can't use LEDs

I have Cointaker LEDs in mine.

#169 10 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I have Cointaker LEDs in mine.

Is the cascading effect the same?

#170 10 years ago

Are you selling the plastic dome yet?

#171 10 years ago

The LEDs do not look as good as the incandescent, I tried it.

#172 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The LEDs do not look as good as the incandescent, I tried it.

+ 1 on that. I had blue LED's in for about a week and replaced them with incandescent bulbs which highlight the waterfall effect much more vividly.

Gord

#173 10 years ago

Why was this product put on sale when it was pretty clear it doesn't work in its current state? Should've posted the video before taking orders at least.

#174 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Is the cascading effect the same?

Yes. I didn't like the blues but the whites look and work just fine. The only reason I can see why anyone would complain is that they are brighter. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

#175 10 years ago

Little bit of work to do it appears, but I support the effort and hope the next batch will be better. If it was done once, it can be done again.

#176 10 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

Why was this product put on sale when it was pretty clear it doesn't work in its current state? Should've posted the video before taking orders at least

A bit perplexing and reasonably noteworthy (especially factoring in the numerous requests for videos by potential buyers).

In any case, pretty much just water around boulders at this juncture--all that matters now is a quality repro.

Good luck to the OP in his efforts on Round Deux.

#177 10 years ago
Quoted from Bay78:

3) ?????

Please advise. Thanks.

Plus one also,
what do I do too

#179 10 years ago

I'm in the same boat; has anyone had any recent contact with them?

#180 10 years ago

They are working on it - I ordered but believe they held off some shipments until they get it right.

#181 10 years ago
Quoted from OldSchoolNeo:

I'm in the same boat; has anyone had any recent contact with them?

I had the following correspondence via PM with Travis on Wednesday, May 29.

Gordon,

We will just have you return the topper only as the tub does not need to be returned. When we send you the new topper we will include a pre-paid return shipping label. Right now we believe that we will have the new ones in 2-3 weeks max. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me at any time in regards to this. Thanks for your patience during this process.

Travis

#182 10 years ago

We are getting very close! We thought that we would have it in our hands by now but the foil embosser has had to remake the sample as it wasn't quite right. With the high cost of running these we need to make sure the new one is 100% correct.

We do appreciate all of the supportive emails from the people who bought it and are working hard on getting these finished ASAP and getting them out.

#183 10 years ago

Keep trying! There will be a lot of appreciative customers when you get it right.

1 week later
#184 10 years ago

Time for an update?

#185 10 years ago
Quoted from TwistedPins:

We are getting very close! We thought that we would have it in our hands by now but the foil embosser has had to remake the sample as it wasn't quite right. With the high cost of running these we need to make sure the new one is 100% correct.
We do appreciate all of the supportive emails from the people who bought it and are working hard on getting these finished ASAP and getting them out.

I would rather it take some time and get it done right.

3 weeks later
#186 10 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I would rather it take some time and get it done right.

I would rather they did it right before taking money and shipping it out as it was.

#187 10 years ago
Quoted from Tortelvis:

Well, I am relieved to know that it wasn't just me not seeing the waterfall, but I am sad to see this not going well. I hope they can figure out what is not quite right and get it corrected.

Same here, Could not see a thing. even adjusting it forward and backwards.
Looking forward to the newly reproduced arrival.
BTW is there any new news regarding these?
Thanks

#188 10 years ago

Here is an update on where we are at right now.

The issue we are having is getting the multi-level layers into the die for the waterfall. The company we are working with is trying a new die out of a different material right now as we speak. Hopefully this will give us the effect needed.

That is the only hold up right now and hopefully it is resolved quickly. Thanks to everybody who has hung in with us on this project!

#189 10 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

Why was this product put on sale when it was pretty clear it doesn't work in its current state? Should've posted the video before taking orders at least.

This is the truth.....You sell a unfinished Produkt....Whats up if you did not get the effect....

3 weeks later
#190 10 years ago

Update?

#191 10 years ago

I hope this project isn't dead in the water and is still a go. I'd love to have a spiffy new foil topper on my machine.

#192 10 years ago

I gave up and got a refund, they were prompt in doing it so I give them props for that. I hope they figure it out someday but I have been hearing for a few months now it would be soon and still nothing.

#194 10 years ago
Quoted from Fatsquatch:

I hope this project isn't dead in the water and is still a go. I'd love to have a spiffy new foil topper on my machine.

No this project isn't dead in the water. We thought we had it figured out but now have ran into another hurdle. We finally got the artwork for the waterfall correct but still couldn't get the correct waterfall effect once installed into a machine. Then it hit us that the foil board we had them made on is WAY glossier than an original topper. We sanded the glossy board with a piece of 320 grit sandpaper that was laying around and the results were improved. But still not what they should be. Right now we are testing out some different foil boards and we hope that will give us the original results.

#195 10 years ago
Quoted from TwistedPins:

No this project isn't dead in the water. We thought we had it figured out but now have ran into another hurdle. We finally got the artwork for the waterfall correct but still couldn't get the correct waterfall effect once installed into a machine. Then it hit us that the foil board we had them made on is WAY glossier than an original topper. We sanded the glossy board with a piece of 320 grit sandpaper that was laying around and the results were improved. But still not what they should be. Right now we are testing out some different foil boards and we hope that will give us the original results.

Thank you for the update! I am waiting patiently for you guys to get all the bugs figured out and fixed, but will be buying one for sure!

#196 10 years ago

Still possible to order?
does it come with electronic part?
thanks

#197 10 years ago

Thanks for the update
always appreciated!

3 weeks later
#198 10 years ago

Any updates on this item?

#199 10 years ago

I emailed about a month ago and never got a response. I still have my original topper in the box. Any update would be awesome. Thanks.

Brian

#200 10 years ago

I applaud Twisted Pins for offering what they do. Since I have been in the hobby there have been great small companies that keep the hobby alive.
So glad Twisted Pins is doing this and other stuff! Love the stencils (ordered 2 yesterday).

Thanks for doing what you do. We can deal with trial and error on the foil. I’m sure Williams went through some hurdles also back in the day!

There are 847 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announce-whitewater-foil-topper-decal-reproduction/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.