By TwistedPins

4 years ago

Stats

• 827 posts
  • 192 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Crash
  • Topic is favorited by 53 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 25 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
3fdc_(resized).jpg
PPS_(resized).jpg
PPS_(resized).jpg
shame.jpeg
image.jpg
image-395.jpg
giphy[1].gif
cantwealljustgetalong.jpg
PopcornSmilee.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_0225.jpg

There are 830 posts in topic. You are on page 17 of 17.
#801 1 year ago
Quoted from Barron:

Holy smokes. That's a lot of words.
Note to self: Never buy a Whitewater missing its topper with the hopes finding one on the used market.

You can find the toppers easily, once you throw out at least 600 bucks as bait

#802 1 year ago
Quoted from Barron:

Holy smokes. That's a lot of words.
Note to self: Never buy a Whitewater missing its topper with the hopes finding one on the used market.

Holy Multiple posts! Please delete

3 weeks later
#803 1 year ago

Has anyone seen this scum bag yet ?

#804 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Somebody just needs to find the factory in China that make those tacky little "motion waterfall" pictures

Seems like a lot of these are kind of like those setups you find underneath a Fire playfield ... a rolling drum that has art that's backlit that gives a 'front' layer of art a motion effect. I highly doubt it'd have the same impact as a real Whitewater topper, but it wouldn't look all that bad.

Something like that could be made around $200 I think ... the WW topper art would become a translite of sort ... the foil would be replaced with a semi-transparent layer ... The drum art would create the motion effect. The white plastic could house the motor/drum as well as act as a mount for the front translite layer. Just slide the front translite layer onto the front of the mount and you're done! It'd be just that easy (sarcasm implied).

#805 1 year ago

Anyone willing to sell their original topper?

#806 1 year ago

I just found a buddy a true to life NOS

Cost him 800$

And he was happy as hell to grab it at that price

Good luck on your quest

I know of used ones but there faded on the graphics

#807 1 year ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

I know of used ones but there faded on the graphics

The Treasure cove graphics with the cut out for the foil looks very nice when installed.

#808 1 year ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

The Treasure cove graphics with the cut out for the foil looks very nice when installed.

Yes they do, and I have thought about going that route myself, but I SUCK at decal installs. A buddy of mine touched his up, and have thought about going that route.

#809 1 year ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Yes they do, and I have thought about going that route myself, but I SUCK at decal installs. A buddy of mine touched his up, and have thought about going that route.

The decal from Treasure cove is very thick so it makes putting it on pretty easy. I would think it is easier than touching it up.

#810 1 year ago

I have an original with some typical bubbling and the treasure cove decal uninstalled for 500 if anyone is interested. Can bring to Allentown pinfest.

Bought them for more on but sold my WH20 before I got to I stalling them.

1 week later
#811 1 year ago

Is it just me or has http://www.twistedpins.com dropped off the Internet?

#812 1 year ago

not just you.. it may be temporary (domain name is still valid, website pages/server seems offline)

1 week later
#813 1 year ago

So I picked up a White Water over the weekend, and the first thing that really drew me to the one I bought was that the topper was nearly flawless.

When I showed my dad, and explained to him that these things sell for hundreds and hundreds of dollars, and told him the sad tale of the failed reproductions, he said "huh." (As he looked at it closer) "This doesn't look like it'd be terribly difficult to reproduce. It's definitely doable."

"Well, yea. It's basically a metallic version of those weird 3D things that have a pseudo-holographic effect to them--like those rulers we'd get in elementary school that when you move it, the picture animated itself. Or the hologram in Creature from the Black Lagoon." I exclaimed.

He goes, "No, this is different. This is a special printing technique. I used to have a colleague who's specialty was this. We would do almost the same thing for book covers and magazines. There's a moving light source that gives the effect of the waterfall, right?"

(This was before he saw the topper attached to the game)

Anyway, long story longer, my dad works for a book publishing company. He knows all the special printing techniques that are used for all sorts of printing--including special custom projects. He used to know a guy who ran a business that would produce prints of things that did exactly what the White Water topper does. Unfortunately, the company went out of business a few years ago, but he seems confident enough to be able to find this mysterious guy who might hold the secret to making a repro. He said he might even have a contact in the publishing company that might be able to make a functioning example.

I'm not trying to get anyone's hopes up, as I doubt any of our contacts will come to fruition, but he claimes that if anyone is going to be able to make a reproduction topper, we (as in people in the pinball community) should find a "book cover printer/designer." And that style of printing would create the desired effect.

I'm going to keep my ears on the ground and try to dig up some more information from my dad. He's going to make a few calls to see what could be done.

#814 1 year ago

Very cool. At this point every time this thread gets bumped it is disappointing. This is at least some hope.

#815 1 year ago

That would be awesome. Bought mine without the topper and have been holding out for a repro option ever since. It's not that important to me but I would definitely be in on one at a sub-$400 price point.

#816 1 year ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

So I picked up a White Water over the weekend, and the first thing that really drew me to the one I bought was that the topper was nearly flawless.
When I showed my dad, and explained to him that these things sell for hundreds and hundreds of dollars, and told him the sad tale of the failed reproductions, he said "huh." (As he looked at it closer) "This doesn't look like it'd be terribly difficult to reproduce. It's definitely doable."
"Well, yea. It's basically a metallic version of those weird 3D things that have a pseudo-holographic effect to them--like those rulers we'd get in elementary school that when you move it, the picture animated itself. Or the hologram in Creature from the Black Lagoon." I exclaimed.
He goes, "No, this is different. This is a special printing technique. I used to have a colleague who's specialty was this. We would do almost the same thing for book covers and magazines. There's a moving light source that gives the effect of the waterfall, right?"
Anyway, long story longer, my dad works for a book publishing company. He knows all the special printing techniques that are used for all sorts of printing--including special custom projects. He used to know a guy who ran a business that would produce prints of things that did exactly what the White Water topper does. Unfortunately, the company went out of business a few years ago, but he seems confident enough to be able to find this mysterious guy who might hold the secret to making a repro. He said he might even have a contact in the publishing company that might be able to make a functioning example.
I'm not trying to get anyone's hopes up, as I doubt any of our contacts will come to fruition, but he claimes that if anyone is going to be able to make a reproduction topper, we (as in people in the pinball community) should find a "book cover printer/designer." And that style of printing would create the desired effect.
I'm going to keep my ears on the ground and try to dig up some more information from my dad. He's going to make a few calls to see what could be done.

I hope you find the contacts that can help. I have a commercial printing company. I have also looked into this and while at first glance it appears simple and in technique it is but this project is dead. I have many contacts and no one wants to mess with it. Twisted failed and it cost them a ton of money. Our only hope for a nice alternative white water topper is back alley and laseriffic when the get around to it.

#817 1 year ago
Quoted from Taxman:

At this point every time this thread gets bumped it is disappointing.

I agree. That's why I want to preface everything by saying that my attempts to find a solution shouldn't be assumed to be successful at all. Finding a cover designer in the book publishing field is the best way at it, he believes.

I was amazed at his nonchalance while looking at the topper though. He said "oh, we do stuff like this all the time for books. This is nothing. I just bet you pinheads just didn't look in the right direction."

#818 1 year ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

"This doesn't look like it'd be terribly difficult to reproduce. It's definitely doable."

This has been said many, many, many times before, but you never know, someday, maybe . . .

#819 1 year ago
Quoted from nman:

That would be awesome. Bought mine without the topper and have been holding out for a repro option ever since. It's not that important to me but I would definitely be in on one at a sub-$400 price point.

Better grab Joejet's before its gone, i really dont think you will find an original any cheaper.

#820 1 year ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

When I showed my dad, and explained to him that these things sell for hundreds and hundreds of dollars, and told him the sad tale of the failed reproductions, he said "huh." (As he looked at it closer) "This doesn't look like it'd be terribly difficult to reproduce. It's definitely doable." .

Have him read this, too:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announce-whitewater-foil-topper-decal-reproduction/page/16#post-3033973

#821 1 year ago
Quoted from pinbum:

Better grab Joejet's before its gone, i really dont think you will find an original any cheaper.

Too late.

#822 1 year ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Too late.

I figured this, you have to be ready to jump right away on something like a Whitewater topper. You sold it at a great price IMO.

#823 1 year ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

You're on a mission. Get er done!

#824 1 year ago
Quoted from pinbum:

I figured this, you have to be ready to jump right away on something like a Whitewater topper. You sold it at a great price IMO.

Yes thanks Joe for the topper! I live about 3 miles from Joe so this really worked out for me. I wanted to comment that Joe's topper had 2 nice sized bubbles in it. I until now had no experience with these toppers so I took a chance and heated up a pin and poked or melted a hole carefully through the back plastic where the bubble was and basically sucked the air out causing the bubble to disappear. Just wondering if I'm the only one that has tried that? Also wanted to say that I put the Treasure Cove decal with the cut-out for the foil on with no issues, I had to peel up a few times and held my breath but there was no damage to the original decal. One more thing I have a brand new back with the complete Treasure Cove decal (without foil) which I no longer have any use for if anyone is interested.

#825 1 year ago
Quoted from bonzo442:

I took a chance and heated up a pin and poked or melted a hole carefully through the back plastic where the bubble was and basically sucked the air out causing the bubble to disappear. Just wondering if I'm the only one that has tried that?

Wow, that's a great idea. Why didn't I think of going through the back before? That way you avoid having to put a hole in the decal. Obvious really, once someone points it out. I'm going to try this - thanks for the idea!

#826 1 year ago
Quoted from mfresh:

Wow, that's a great idea. Why didn't I think of going through the back before? That way you avoid having to put a hole in the decal. Obvious really, once someone points it out. I'm going to try this - thanks for the idea!

I've removed numerous bubbles in the foil part. What I do is make a small slit in the foil running parallel with the lines. I've found pin holes aren't enough. Use a little heat and smooth down with a cotton rag. Works perfect and you won't see the slit.

1 month later
#827 1 year ago

Hey everyone, I just picked up a White Water project machine a couple months back and ended up installing one of the reproduction toppers from Twisted Pins. I bought this unused from another pinball collector for cheap as he found an original. To get the maximized waterfall effect on this reproduction foil I installed some washers in the back to mount it so it tilts forward. I played around with it until I got the effect I liked. I also installed the whitewater mirror decal that's sold on ebay for $9.99 to reflect more light. It didn't make too much difference but it helped a little. Since my Whitewater pinball machine didn't come with the topper, the topper wiring harness, light boards or chase board, I bought the full Topper hardware set from Great Lakes Modular. I set the chase board to the Dark water falls setting as that seemed to work the best, and installed 555 bulbs as the GLM board has a setting for these. I figured this topper is better than no topper. I don't have an original to compare it to but here is a video of how mine turned out when tilted forward. It looks better in person, but it turned out with a pretty good effect:

[youtube]» YouTube video
]

Here is another video:
» YouTube video

Here are a couple pics of the angle I mounted it at:

image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg

#828 1 year ago

Based solely on the video, that shows absolutely none of the water flow effect seen on the original topper. It just looks like a serious of lights flashing across a static image.

#829 1 year ago

You can see it in the original White Water promo video and others, so it's not the camera.

#830 1 year ago

Here is a quick video of my WH2O and the waterfall topper to give you an idea of the waterfall effect.

Gord

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140469729@N02/27023360533/in/album-72157669681596585/

1 month later
#831 1 year ago

You still walking around Travis with our $$$$.
I hope someone sees you soon and kicks you good and hard in the balls mate!

2 months later
#832 1 year ago
Quoted from Gorgonzola:

Based solely on the video, that shows absolutely none of the water flow effect seen on the original topper. It just looks like a serious of lights flashing across a static image.

Sorry for the resurrection, but this made me LOL.

#833 1 year ago
Quoted from hardware:

Sorry for the resurrection, but this made me LOL.

Made me laugh too. I mean how does he think this is going to pass off as a real product?

There are 830 posts in topic. You are on page 17 of 17.

Note: This is an old thread. The last post was made to it 418 days ago. Resurrecting old threads is not necessarily a bad thing, if you think the topic is still relevant and/or your post is beneficial to it (e.g. following up on something). In other cases, it might be better to create a new topic.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside