Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Zitt
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-410.jpg
    image-379.jpg
    image-590.jpg
    image.jpg
    Stern Pinball Armor-256.PNG
    There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

Just in time for two weeks after Expo 2013

#3 10 years ago

Stern Pinball Armor-256.PNGStern Pinball Armor-256.PNG

#4 10 years ago

$349 bucks bundle for a few buckles, blankets......what am I missing here? The backbox cover $100 ????, the leg protectors $60 and the pinball cover $160..... Someone fell off the money tree.... Don't get me wrong cool product...pricing not so much.

#5 10 years ago

Couple of shipping blankets and stretch wrap = around $20 bucks

#6 10 years ago

Order now!

In 6 months we'll send ya the blanket
    4 months later the logos arrive
    5 months after that...the buckles show up

In about a year and a half you'll have your almost complete Pinball Armor (maybe)!!!

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Order now!
    In 6 months we'll send ya the blanket4 months later the logos arrive5 months after that...the buckles show up
    In about a year and a half you'll have your almost complete Pinball Armor (maybe)!!!

LOL

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Order now!
    In 6 months we'll send ya the blanket
    4 months later the logos arrive
    5 months after that...the buckles show up

LMAO!

#9 10 years ago

$349 is not a bad price....the way people buy mods here on Pinside, thats a drop in the bucket

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

$349 bucks for a few buckles, blankets......what am I missing here?

The "high quality exclusive Stern™ logo" (according to Marco.)

#11 10 years ago

I think that WOF has finished code ! Why else would they go to that much trouble to protect it !

#12 10 years ago

Expect more and more of this.

I've been saying it forever, but WAY TOO MANY guys in this hobby are entirely too eager to "make it rain" at folks selling ANYTHING pin-related at massively inflated prices.

With the kind of money being unabashedly thrown around in this hobby these days, every Tom, Dick and Harry is going to come out of the woodwork, peddling all sorts of pin-crap to the hopelessly addicted masses.

"There's a sucker born every minute."

#13 10 years ago

Man, I was hoping for something cool.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

$349 is not a bad price....the way people buy mods here on Pinside, thats a drop in the bucket

I talked to the guy and girl in the booth at Expo, I told them its a very nice product but way overpriced and Id never consider buying a set.

#15 10 years ago

I clicked through the email thinking 'ok, they'll be $79, but inflated to $150, but I'm ready to see a $199 price tag on it.' I can't believe I missed the mark by NEARLY HALF.

We need to start a poll to see how many guys have dust covers, and to see how many guys throw old comforters on their games when they're not being played. I see that constantly in photos of collections.

#16 10 years ago

I have dust covers and rarely use them. Bought them for my move from Alaska. Didn't realize moving blankets were so cheap.

#17 10 years ago

Is this a ripoff of
    http://pinballarmor.com/ ?
    Or licensed?

I bought the orginal at expo... waiting on my stidle to use

#18 10 years ago

Stern thinks about us! While waiting for new code our unplayed Stern games need a dust cover. Or something to hide them.

#19 10 years ago

Companies used to pay 10's of thousands of dollars to try and get the feedback about their products and services. Now, with the interweb, its all sitting there, open to the public in places like Pinside.

How can a company like Stern not make changes to their model based upon the feedback being posted by their loyal customers?

Just baffles me.

#20 10 years ago

We use ours and I love the product. It keeps the pins protected when being shipped or moved.
    At least this product protects your investment. I do understand that a route operator might pass on theses. After all I have seen some pins that should have had theses years ago and they might not look like they are ready for the dump. This is a great investment with moving your $8000 JJP or $8000 Stern pin that you bought and want to protect. I think this product comes down to what is the condition of the game and how bad you want to keep it that way. Also, the product installs in 10 minutes and you do not get dizzy wrapping the darn thing in cardboard and saran wrap. It's much fast. I have had games delivered to me from trucking companies that have said they like them and they have no clue about pinball. I love the art work of WOZ and the art work is amazing and the powder coating is done well. Why damage it? Yes, if you do not ship games or buy games and they just sit there in the game room this product is not for you. I do feel that this company is working in the right direction to get cost down. They are made in the USA and not brought in from China. So, I am sure that has allot to do with pricing. Hey pinballsidearmor I love your product!

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from Fatsquatch:

Expect more and more of this.
    I've been saying it forever, but WAY TOO MANY guys in this hobby are entirely too eager to "make it rain" at folks selling ANYTHING pin-related at massively inflated prices.
    With the kind of money being unabashedly thrown around in this hobby these days, every Tom, Dick and Harry is going to come out of the woodwork, peddling all sorts of pin-crap to the hopelessly addicted masses.
    "There's a sucker born every minute."

I don't think this is a crap product, it looks really nice but it is more than I would want to spend.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from wdpvideo:

We use ours and I love the product. It keeps the pins protected when being shipped or moved.
    At least this product protects your investment. I do understand that a route operator might pass on theses. After all I have seen some pins that should have had theses years ago and they might not look like they are ready for the dump. This is a great investment with moving your $8000 JJP or $8000 Stern pin that you bought and want to protect. I think this product comes down to what is the condition of the game and how bad you want to keep it that way. Also, the product installs in 10 minutes and you do not get dizzy wrapping the darn thing in cardboard and saran wrap. It's much fast. I have had games delivered to me from trucking companies that have said they like them and they have no clue about pinball. I love the art work of WOZ and the art work is amazing and the powder coating is done well. Why damage it? Yes, if you do not ship games or buy games and they just sit there in the game room this product is not for you. I do feel that this company is working in the right direction to get cost down. They are made in the USA and not brought in from China. So, I am sure that has allot to do with pricing. Hey pinballsidearmor I love your product!

I bought Marty's POTC at Expo. I didn't have any stretch wrap, cardboard, moving blankets, etc. with me and I was taking home a beauty of a HUO fully modded machine. I went ahead and took the plunge and bought Pinball Armor. It did a wonderful job getting my machine home. It was easy to work with and I had confidence that my pin was going to make it home safe and sound even though it was in the back of a pickup truck and it might sprinkle a bit on the way home. Would I buy it for a $1,000 machine, no. Would I buy it to ship a $7,000 to $8,000 machine around, yes. Pinball Armor is well constructed and easy to use. I see pinball folks spend crazy money on all kinds of pinball stuff. Given a small amount of damage can devalue a collector quality machine, it's not a terrible investment if you are moving those machines around. You are paying for convenience/ease of use and confidence that the machine is well protected. I may be moving next year. It's not out of the realm of possibility that I may buy more Pinball Armor to have uber confidence that the movers don't damage my higher-end machines.

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from tbanthony:

I may be moving next year. It's not out of the realm of possibility that I may buy more Pinball Armor to have uber confidence that the movers don't damage my higher-end machines.

You know I thought of a idea. What if they rented them out for like $40.00 for a set with a refundable deposit that way you could make the move with the protection and not have to invest a tone of money in them just sitting in a closet? Just an idea. FYI: they are water proof!

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from tbanthony:

I bought Marty's POTC at Expo. I didn't have any stretch wrap, cardboard, moving blankets, etc. with me and I was taking home a beauty of a HUO fully modded machine. I went ahead and took the plunge and bought Pinball Armor. It did a wonderful job getting my machine home. It was easy to work with and I had confidence that my pin was going to make it home safe and sound even though it was in the back of a pickup truck and it might sprinkle a bit on the way home. Would I buy it for a $1,000 machine, no. Would I buy it to ship a $7,000 to $8,000 machine around, yes. Pinball Armor is well constructed and easy to use. I see pinball folks spend crazy money on all kinds of pinball stuff. Given a small amount of damage can devalue a collector quality machine, it's not a terrible investment if you are moving those machines around. You are paying for convenience/ease of use and confidence that the machine is well protected. I may be moving next year. It's not out of the realm of possibility that I may buy more Pinball Armor to have uber confidence that the movers don't damage my higher-end machines.

Just so others know buying pinball armor will not suffice for professional movers (I am going through a long distance move now). You have to crate them for the moving company to insure them for full value.

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from metahugh:

Just so others know buying pinball armor will not suffice for professional movers (I am going through a long distance move now). You have to crate them for the moving company to insure them for full value.

I didn't have any issues the last time I moved. They were insured by both the mover and my own personal umbrella policy. There were no specific conditions placed on how anything was packed. I confirmed everything with my insurance company. Perhaps that is not the case with all movers or all insurance companies. Like always, check with your insurance company and never rely upon the insurance provided by the mover.

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from tbanthony:

I didn't have any issues the last time I moved. They were insured by both the mover and my own personal umbrella policy. There were no specific conditions placed on how anything was packed. I confirmed everything with my insurance company. Perhaps that is not the case with all movers or all insurance companies. Like always, check with your insurance company and never rely upon the insurance provided by the mover.

Yes, I think you right about this. I mean I have that POTC on my insurance policy. Which I guess, I need to pull off of there. However as silly as this sounds. My pinball have their own policy. Why? well if the house burns to the ground or a thief breaks in or even a flood happens then I want to replace my collection. My wife would spend all the cash rebuilding and I wouldn't own anymore pins Also keep in mind if that pin would have fallen out of your truck my insurance would have covered it. See I take care of my buyers! I just do not disclose that up front. I am sure you understand why.

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Is this a ripoff of
    http://pinballarmor.com/ ?
    Or licensed?

Hi, to clarify, this is licensed. We manufactured this version to specifically fit Stern machines.

Best,

Darren

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from callmesteam:

I clicked through the email thinking 'ok, they'll be $79, but inflated to $150, but I'm ready to see a $199 price tag on it.' I can't believe I missed the mark by NEARLY HALF.

Hi,

I recognize that $349 for our set is an investment. Our product is a complex item to sew which we consciously chose to manufacture in the US using quality materials. We can't even produce a set for under $199. As pinball collectors ourselves, we refuse to compromise on quality.

Best,

Darren

#29 10 years ago

Pretty simple really. Buy one if you want and don't if you don't, but why do we need to hear why you think its overpriced?

#30 10 years ago

It must be the rich Corinthian leather or the Saskatchewan seal skin bindings that add to the cost....

(rolling eyes)

#31 10 years ago

I bet most of the people that said $349 is too much to protect your $6000 machine are the same guys who have a small $250 arcade machine that does nothing sitting inside their Tron.

rd.

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

I bet most of the people that said $349 is too much to protect your $6000 machine are the same guys who have a small $250 arcade machine that does nothing sitting inside their Tron.

rd.

LOL...nope but I wish I had TRON. Considering you can buy a roll of duct tape and blankets for less than $50. And reuse them many times. I don't see the $349 price tag anymore inviting unless you have money to burn and less time on your hands to do the work.

#33 10 years ago

I think Stern isn't going to get any love from my wallet for anything in the foreseeable future.

I see this as more time and treasure from them wasted in poor product marketing, and the price is insulting, as many quality covers are available at half the price. We are just consuming blindly to Stern?

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from cal50:

Saskatchewan seal skin bindings

Ha. That got a laugh from me.

It's almost clubbing season ...

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from pauloz:

Pretty simple really. Buy one if you want and don't if you don't, but why do we need to hear why you think its overpriced?

hmm...because He posted it on a forum? A place where opinions are expressed...
    If your not interested in peoples opinion's put it in the Marketplace.. What do I win Johnny?

#36 10 years ago

At least the code is finished

Chris

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from pauloz:

Oh, that's right. I forget that on Pinside there is no room for debate or discourse. My bad.

Everybody should get a trophy, right?!

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-Armor:

I recognize that $349 for our set is an investment.

So used sets will sell for more than $349? Otherwise its not a good investment.

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Good catch CF. Investment my tookus. Covers look nice, but Take some of your QC and lend it to Stern, ok?

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

So if its an investment what happens if my armor splits , like my stock shares ???

Someone should armor up a mystery game and raffle it off (game & armor)
    It would be like the unknown comic on the gong show.

#41 10 years ago

If you bring your machines to shows, it gets old fast having to wrap, un-wrap, re-wrap and un-wrap quality machines. If you don't move your machines you obviously don't need to be concerned about protection.

If you are buying a machine with shipping involved, do you expect your seller or shipper to shrink wrap, then blanket wrap and shrink wrap the blankets? An easy solution is to send a set of Pinball Armor to the seller. It helps with reducing your concerns associated with shipping.

If you have high dollar machines in storage, as in a non-climate controlled garage, it is a good idea to keep them insulated either via Pinball Armor or blanket wrapped. Rapid changes in temperature and humidity are detrimental to cabinets, playfields, plastics, connectors and electronics. With the game properly insulated the changes are gradual to the machine.

At the recent Chicago Expo there where numerous examples of games sporting Pinball Armor as the owners loaded out.

Pinball clubs could buy a set or sets and loan them out. Maybe rent them out at say $40 per week or month.

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from minnesota13:

If you are buying a machine with shipping involved, do you expect your seller or shipper to shrink wrap, then blanket wrap and shrink wrap the blankets?

Yep

#43 10 years ago

OH! CF beat me to it!

Btw, I've brought pins to shows, and shipped quite a few. Heck, I almost bought a couple of pin covers once a few years ago, but hand down with my choice of colors would have been half this cost, and I DID wrap my pins in uhaul blankets for the trip. One was a CQ Safecracker and the other was an Alvin G mystery castle. Odd how neither got a scratch, even with the comparable horse blankets I was using. :-/

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from cal50:

It must be the rich Corinthian leather or the Saskatchewan seal skin bindings that add to the cost....
    (rolling eyes)

Fun fact I learned in a marketing class in the mid-1980's:
    There is no such thing as Corinthian Leather. It was a marketing term dreamed up by Chrysler or a hired marketing agency. Chrysler sourced all of their leather at the time of the Cordoba & Imperials (when Ricardo Montalban was their spokesperson) from New Jersey. Cornthian sounds more exotic than "Fine Seacaucus Leather" doesn't it?

#45 10 years ago

I agree you can best vote with your dollars and spend your time instead.

It depends how you value your time because as you age you will find your time becomes more valuable regardless of your earning power past or present, then you die.

As some enjoy adding mods to their pins, fixing their pins, many playing, obviously there are some who enjoy wrapping them up for shipment, or moving. It's a hobby that suits all.

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

There is no such thing as Corinthian Leather. It was a marketing term dreamed up by Chrysler or a hired marketing agency. Chrysler sourced all of their leather at the time of the Cordoba & Imperials (when Ricardo Montalban was their spokesperson) from New Jersey. Cornthian sounds more exotic than "Fine Seacaucus Leather" doesn't it?

You nailed it and that was the commercial I was thinking about.

Cordoba.....!

#47 10 years ago

I bought 3 of these used from Kim/Mr 68. This is a set without the leg covers. It's really nice and leaves no corners exposed. Here are a few pics from me giving it a try on my MM yesterday. This will be rally helpful for bringing my nicer games to the local shows.image-410.jpgimage-410.jpgimage-590.jpgimage-590.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage-379.jpgimage-379.jpg

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I believe that corinthian leather is a man made substitute and also at the time burreled walnut is a plastic substitute.

#49 10 years ago

And you have a patent pending on it.

#50 10 years ago

The facts, just the facts.

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announce-stern-pinball-armor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.