Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by j_m_
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinside ads (resized).png
    27299CC5-F019-441E-9178-8FEF6B24FB86 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 8.58.52 PM (resized).png

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

Hi Pinside!

The past few years, Pinside has seen some pretty amazing growth in traffic. That's awesome and I thank all of you for that!

But it also means that our old server was running to its limits in terms of speed, memory and disk space.

Today, after a few months of (preparation) work, Pinside has moved to a new home. We've got a brand new server which is a whole lot more powerful and should keep all of you happy for the years to come!

This is no small operation. Things may catch fire and explode. I will be monitoring everything in the coming days to make sure everything works properly. There may be some issues, bugs, hiccups and whatnot as Pinside settles in. I hope to keep any downtime to a minimum.

If you do run into issues, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Wanna say thanks? Support Pinside and become a Pinside+ member

Thank you,
    Robin

#2 5 years ago

Congratulations and great job with the conversion. This is a great site!

#3 5 years ago

Thanks Robin

#4 5 years ago

Yay. We’re back up an running again.

Well done, same as always.

#5 5 years ago

Congrats!! That was a fast transition! Thanks for your dedication to making this site awesome!

#6 5 years ago

Thanks... @robin, I do believe that the list of topics that i had marked as Favorites are amongst the items that caught fire and exploded. There are many ways to view the forum, but this is my personal method and works best for me. Any way to recover this?

Also just noticed that topics I’ve posted in and topics I viewed are also empty. Bummer.

Edit: it gets worse... I scrolled through the topics with recent activity and loaded up the last 24 hrs of posts and none of the topics I’m interested in (favorites, posted in, etc) are showing up. It’s like they’ve disappeared into the twilight zone.

#7 5 years ago

OK, I noticed that I have to turn my Topics to show all the topics (not Hiding Idle) for everything to show, including the ones that have had activity. Hopefully that'll get shaken loose.

#8 5 years ago

LynnInDenver ... you saved the day!! That worked and I have my threads back for now. Seems that this bug should be easy enough to fix.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

Thanks... robin, I do believe that the list of topics that i had marked as Favorites are amongst the items that caught fire and exploded. There are many ways to view the forum, but this is my personal method and works best for me. Any way to recover this?
    Also just noticed that topics I’ve posted in and topics I viewed are also empty. Bummer.
    Edit: it gets worse... I scrolled through the topics with recent activity and loaded up the last 24 hrs of posts and none of the topics I’m interested in (favorites, posted in, etc) are showing up. It’s like they’ve disappeared into the twilight zone.

The problem should be fixed. There was an issue with timezone data on the new server.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

The problem should be fixed. There was an issue with timezone data on the new server.

robin ... appears to be working. Thanks for the super fast response!!

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Always go with UTC on the server!

#12 5 years ago

Thanks, @robin.

#13 5 years ago

I can only imagine how much time and work it takes to keep this going and updated.

Thank you Robin for everything that you’ve have done and keep doing, in order for the world to enjoy such a great hobby.

#14 5 years ago

Thanks so much, Robin, that’s awesome!

#15 5 years ago

robin looks like searching the forums is broken.

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my Pinball 2000 H+V video sync combiner kit

Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 8.58.52 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-02-22 at 8.58.52 PM (resized).png
    #16 5 years ago

I’ve noticed quite a few marketplace ads have been duplicate. Is that a glitch?

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from rkahr:

robin looks like searching the forums is broken.
    -Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my Pinball 2000 H+V video sync combiner kit[quoted image]

Quoted from Coz:

I’ve noticed quite a few marketplace ads have been duplicate. Is that a glitch?

Same thing here.

#18 5 years ago

For us computer guys can you give us the specs on the new server? Also, do you host the server yourself or is the server in a Colo-Data Center?

Never mind on the colo question. I see that you are using WebNX as your Colo provider out of LA. I would still like to know the specs on the new server though.

#19 5 years ago

Good work on the new server! Your efforts are appreciated!

I can’t update my collection or search topics in the forum. Are these known problems?

#20 5 years ago

Good Morning,

I'm not getting any results displayed when searching for a machine. Anyone else having this problem?

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from Looney:

I'm not getting any results displayed when searching for a machine. Anyone else having this problem?

Yup. Same issue here.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from Looney:

Good Morning,

Same here. The database is still there, I can select a machine from the top 100 and view it, but the search tool is toast and always returns 0 results.

#23 5 years ago

Thanks for all the work you do!!

#24 5 years ago

Hi all, I just fixed the search. This includes forum search, post by user, machine search and more. I also did some other tweaks to hopefully stop those duplicate Marketplace ads from popping up. Please bear with me this first week as we get settled in. Thanks for everyone who reported the search bug (and other stuff)!

#25 5 years ago

Thanks for working on a Saturday, much appreciated.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from Looney:

Thanks for working on a Saturday, much appreciated.

Thanks. I actually reserved all weekend to monitor the move, and apart from some weird issues things are running pretty nicely (knock on wood).

Quoted from TxJay:

For us computer guys can you give us the specs on the new server? Also, do you host the server yourself or is the server in a Colo-Data Center?
    Never mind on the colo question. I see that you are using WebNX as your Colo provider out of LA. I would still like to know the specs on the new server though.

Yep, Pinside is now hosted by WebNX, out of their Utah datacenter.

As for our new (main) server, it's quite a nice machine:

Dual CPU Intel Xeon 2680v2 20/40HT cores
    256GB DDR3 Reg ECC ram
    2x 1.2TB Intel Enterprise NVMe drives (Software RAID1)
    2x 4TB 7,200 RPM enterprise HDD (Hardware RAID1)
    1gbps public port

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Dual CPU Intel Xeon 2680v2 20/40HT cores
    256GB DDR3 Reg ECC ram
    2x 1.2TB Intel Enterprise NVMe drives (Software RAID1)
    2x 4TB 7,200 RPM enterprise HDD (Hardware RAID1)
    1gbps public port

Very nice

#28 5 years ago

Hope this week goes smooth with the transition. Thanks for all you do for the pinheads here. I don’t know what I would do without Pinside.com

#29 5 years ago

Congrats Robin and THANK YOU...

If you haven't donated to Pinside to keep things humming along now's the perfect time and you have the perfect reason :

https://pinside.com/pinball/donate

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Hi all, I just fixed the search. This includes forum search, post by user, machine search and more. I also did some other tweaks to hopefully stop those duplicate Marketplace ads from popping up. Please bear with me this first week as we get settled in. Thanks for everyone who reported the search bug (and other stuff)!

I found another search bug! When using search in a thread ("find in topic") this error comes up.

connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=101, msg=Network is unreachable)

#31 5 years ago

Searching for machines and in the market does not seem to work at this time.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Just saw 3 of the same marketplace ad created a minute ago.

In the meantime, thanks for all the hard work!

#33 5 years ago

Hi Robin,
    Good job and Congrats !!! Been with you for almost 10 years now !!…...Can remember Pinside with like a maximum of 50 users online at any given time including nights and weekends !!

Best to ya, Kirk in Colorado

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Congrats Robin and THANK YOU...
    If you haven't donated to Pinside to keep things humming along now's the perfect time and you have the perfect reason :
    https://pinside.com/pinball/donate

Thanks for the reminder - my donation was overdue.

#35 5 years ago

Thanks for all your efforts and work on this Robin.

I just got this error: Errors: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=101, msg=Network is unreachable)...

#36 5 years ago

Quick update:

There are currently 2 big issues I'm still working on:

1) Search server crash. The search server crashes every night ("connection to localhost:9312 failed"), just after midnight. I'm reviewing logs and working on a solution.

2) Duplicate Marketplace ads. Very annoying and I'm still not sure what is causing this. Added a bunch of logging and currently investigating the cause.

Other than that, the new server is holding up nicely. Still some things I would like to tweak and adjust but gotta take care of the above issues first!

#37 5 years ago

Not sure if this has anything to do with the new server, but I can no longer read the user rating comments for machines they've reviewed/rated. Just an FYI.

#38 5 years ago

Lot of red heart+ posts in here, people appreciate your efforts.

#39 5 years ago

Following up on my previous post...

After a long day of debugging I believe I have identified the cause for both the issues I mentioned. I'm hopeful that (code) updates applied today should resolve both matters. Fingers crossed as especially that duplicate ads problem was very annoying. It was creating a lot of administrative work to clean things up and removing the dupes. Really a huge PITA. Anyways, pretty much all of those duplicate ads should be deleted by now but if I forgot any, please PM me. Otherwise they will affect the Market sold/unsold ratio on your user profile.

Quoted from iloveplywood:

Not sure if this has anything to do with the new server, but I can no longer read the user rating comments for machines they've reviewed/rated. Just an FYI.

Thanks for reporting, I believe this should be fixed now.

Quoted from Aurich:

Lot of red heart+ posts in here, people appreciate your efforts.

And I appreciate all the people who contribute and who help keep Pinside rocking!

#40 5 years ago

Nice work as always Robin!

#41 5 years ago

Thanks for all your hard work Robin!

Noticed one more potential issue yesterday carrying over into today -- I received an e-mail notification that an order was placed in my Pinside shop but Pinside has yet to acknowledge that order exists. I am able to view the details by clicking the link in the e-mail but when I navigate thru the shop here on Pinside there is no record of the order.

Hope its an easy fix. . .

Thanks again!

#42 5 years ago

I assumed it was hosted in the cloud.

#43 5 years ago

Robin,

Since the server transfer all my “wish list machine spotted” emails and PM’s go to my Junk folder. This would never happen before the server transfer. Any ide what’s going on there? Thanks!

#44 5 years ago

Wow, great update! Happy to see all of my moderations from the last 8 years have been reset to zero. A fresh new start

Seriously, fantastic site and job guys.

#45 5 years ago

Nice work robin Coming from DC world: You have a true Mission Critical site. There’s little to no downtime.

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

Robin,
    Since the server transfer all my “wish list machine spotted” emails and PM’s go to my Junk folder. This would never happen before the server transfer. Any ide what’s going on there? Thanks!

Upgraded feature, requested by your wife.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

Upgraded feature, requested by your wife.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha Wouldn’t doubt it actually

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Thanks for all your hard work Robin!
    Noticed one more potential issue yesterday carrying over into today -- I received an e-mail notification that an order was placed in my Pinside shop but Pinside has yet to acknowledge that order exists. I am able to view the details by clicking the link in the e-mail but when I navigate thru the shop here on Pinside there is no record of the order.
    Hope its an easy fix. . .
    Thanks again!

I sent you a PM.

Quoted from KornFreak28:

Robin,

I would have to guess that's because we're on a new IP address and that needs to build reputation.

I believe you can add the sender ([email protected]) to your trusted senders (or with some e-mail providers simply in your address book) and prevent it from happening.

Quoted from dmacy:

Nice work robin Coming from DC world: You have a true Mission Critical site. There’s little to no downtime.

I KNOW! Uptime last year was 99,9992%

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I KNOW! Uptime last year was 99,9992%

Wow! That is really impressive. Is this your full-time job or are you doing this in your "spare time"?

#50 5 years ago

My mail wont bounce unless I refresh the page or switch pages.

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announce-new-year-new-pinside-server and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.