(Topic ID: 220220)

Announce: CPR BEGINS its NEW BUSINESS MODEL

By KevinCPR

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20180727_192832775 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180727_220333416 (resized).jpg
    d47f01a1e935e1c63ea813c72490ae9f4976ff99 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4502 (resized).JPG
    marilynfuneral3 (resized).jpg
    0d175e7d70956cfc6ee2e23d9326dbbfe06015b1 (resized).jpg
    910gRBsXpuL._SY445_ (resized).jpg
    Light Shield M-1330-107-2 graphic comparison small (resized).jpg
    Bambi full (resized).jpg
    kleenex4 (resized).jpg
    jrw-fc-01_fv (resized).jpg
    giphy (resized).png
    the_misfits_tri_cg_pop_art_by_zombis_cannibal-d4l7rlg (resized).jpg
    ghost_bc___papa_emeritus_by_queen_aquene-dapgg8d.png (resized).jpg
    sc00002d0c[2] (resized).png
    d14cd32a2a194d99cf7189a36159253e833e02ba (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampwiz.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#306 5 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

I've never seen a full playfield artwork file, and I am not sure if it is even possible to see one because how could it be shared? If it were a bitmap at full size with high resolution like 300dpi, it would be a huge file, at least a few hundred megabytes I would guess. If an entire playfield were completely recreated as vector art, the file size would be much smaller. But that would be a massive undertaking. I'm sure it has been done but I can't imagine how much work that would be. If someone has made one I would love to see what it looks like.
    Here is an example of a single plastic that I did as an experiment. Again this pic of course as a bitmap of the vector art file, but rest assured that this is a full vector file. It is compared to a photo of the plastic and a scan of the graphic. The vector SVG file is only about 25k file size.
    Granted I am far from a pro, but I'm not gonna lie, it was a lot of work just to get that single plastic recreated as all vector art. And this is a fairly simple graphic really. More complex graphics take more time and effort. Just recreating an entire set of plastics would be a pretty hefty job timewise.
    [quoted image]

I need a complete set of Bally Dixieland plastics. I have an original set, cracks and all. I had them scanned at 600 dpi, I believe, and the result was a set of TIFF files that were about 800 MB each! I have discovered that there are some issues to be resolved. One is that the outline (i.e., just the plastic shape) is not quite right, so what I did was trace the plastics onto paper and then carefully come up with ODG files (i.e., OpenOffice Draw) with rectangle, triangles & circles from which a GIF file can be generated, and then carefully modify that GIF until it gets right; I am just starting that, and it looks to be a long process, although maybe it will quickly get good. The other is that the scan files have, in general, about 7 cartoon colors, but that is only in a logical sense; the actual RGB values for each pixel could be off a little bit, so I am looking into finding a good color quantization app (or roll my own in VC#.NET) that could lock down those colors to a single RGB (the cracks will be able to clean up by then). The next problem after that was finding someone to cut the plastic and then somehow getting the cartoons printed out, but it looks like CPR will be able to do this (whew!)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampwiz.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announce-cpr-begins-its-new-business-model?tu=swampwiz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.