(Topic ID: 220220)

Announce: CPR BEGINS its NEW BUSINESS MODEL

By KevinCPR

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20180727_192832775 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180727_220333416 (resized).jpg
    d47f01a1e935e1c63ea813c72490ae9f4976ff99 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4502 (resized).JPG
    marilynfuneral3 (resized).jpg
    0d175e7d70956cfc6ee2e23d9326dbbfe06015b1 (resized).jpg
    910gRBsXpuL._SY445_ (resized).jpg
    Light Shield M-1330-107-2 graphic comparison small (resized).jpg
    Bambi full (resized).jpg
    kleenex4 (resized).jpg
    jrw-fc-01_fv (resized).jpg
    giphy (resized).png
    the_misfits_tri_cg_pop_art_by_zombis_cannibal-d4l7rlg (resized).jpg
    ghost_bc___papa_emeritus_by_queen_aquene-dapgg8d.png (resized).jpg
    sc00002d0c[2] (resized).png
    d14cd32a2a194d99cf7189a36159253e833e02ba (resized).jpg
    There are 413 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.
    #1 5 years ago

CPR BEGINS its NEW BUSINESS MODEL
    Announcement June 29, 2018

After 14 years working in parts reproduction for the hobby, we are pleased to announce that CPR is completely changing it's production model to something absolutely revolutionary for reproduction parts making. This takes effect immediately. This underlying foundational change will also be accompanied by some other much-needed upgrades, which will come online shortly. More on that in a minute...

First and foremost, this coming week begins the official launch of CPR's new Digital Production Suite. The biggest investment in our history. We had been building to this moment for a very long time. Literally a brand spanking new facility, completely owned and ours, for the creation of perfection-level quality reproduction parts. Featuring a giant digital press, which is now by far the largest and most expensive piece of equipment CPR has invested in, to date. We're betting our future on this beautiful baby, and it's going to change how we deliver repro parts to the hobby forever.

Since February, we explored with stringent due diligence, the trials and print tests, and considerable financial planning. Even though the investment was scary, the technology had undeniably come to the point where we could look away no longer. The time to wean ourselves off silkscreen printing tech and equipment from the 1980's was simply a reality we had to face. Digital presses were just too good, reliable, clean, and turnaround times blew oldschool screening away. So reality won, and we set in motion the path to a major upgrade. After all the freight, suite construction, installation, training, and trials... the keys to this new ride are now ours to do as we see fit. Now it's time.

With this suite, comes the complete shift of the CPR production model. Traditional silkscreening had us bootstrapped to "runs" ... meaning a SINGLE reproduction project (glass, plastics set, or playfield) had to be all batched together into one big upfront production run. Our model of 14 years was doing it this way. To bring you a single new release, a week or two had to be laid out to print 100-200 pieces of the same thing. One color at a time, with hours of drying in between. Taking advantage of precious press time - making sure to make plenty to justify the week(s) of time and expense... and all those individual press setups, runs, and teardowns... sometimes 8-14... just to create one repro project. Then that one item went up for sale. One item. Then onto the next one.

Each CPR product would sit online and sell, until it drew down to "sold out" (taking months to YEARS). Then once it was gone, and say it took two years for all 100+ items to go, we would then sit "sold out"... The hobby had seen the repro items come and go. The only way to see them again was a "re-run" - where we start all over again, and go through the same thing, to produce another big batch - and release it again. But as we all know, re-runs are rare - due to the risk of the second go-around selling to an already 90%-served market. Re-runs get sales, but it depends. Many CPR projects dating all the way back to 2004 had been mothballed - considered not worth the risk to make 100+ again... with no hope of that ever changing. The barrier? The silkscreening model.

What if we could make one at a time?

Starting now, this IS the reality at CPR. This changes everything - not only here - but for repro in the hobby at large. This is a staggering new reality here - so let this sink in - THERE IS NOW NO SUCH THING AS A MINIMUM RUN SIZE AT CPR. We can make ten. We can make fifty. We can make one. No barriers to market any longer.

So what does this mean? Going forward, CPR will be immediately moving our Plastics and Backglasses printing exclusively to this suite. Playfields will continue to be silkscreened when done in the large first-release-type batches - but here's the kicker: Once those big first batches sell out, we will be introducing Made-For-You individual playfields, which will be printed in the digital suite. That means theoretically no CPR playfield will ever go out of stock in the distant future. Nobody will ever have to wait for a re-run. CPR playfields will be perpetually "re-run" as individual one-offs, as ordered by customers... on demand ! But that's down the road a bit. The main change right now are Plastics and Backglasses.

With no "re-runs" needed anymore... we now begin the opening of the floodgates to EVERY CPR PLASTIC SET and BACKGLASS going all the way back to 2004 (all 130+ legacy products that have been sold out for years to a over a decade) to become available, perpetually, until the day we retire. These will release in waves, as we convert and re-tool our legacy art packages for the new press. This will take the next few months to see it all released. The hobby will enjoy the availability of these items at ALL TIMES. Meaning, the tricky predicting and planning while seeing our past releases come and go, will all be a thing of the past. You won't have to contemplate your future collection plans, machines you hope to buy, machines you WILL buy, etc into the future... worrying whether to buy now when available. We'll have them available until the day we retire. Huge difference. All 14 years of past product are coming back "IN STOCK" ... beginning now.

**Quality: Our digital press has print/ink quality to staggering photographic levels - meaning detail in microns. No longer will we be pushing ink through silk mesh shapes. As a 14 year silkscreener and purist, I had to concede that this tech had finally surpassed traditional spot-color screening. Not only in detail, but consistency and cleanliness of the print(s). Our 4-years of producing CMYK (photographic/watercolor painting) style backglasses, for example, have seen results both of the good and the not-so-good. There was no control with silkscreening. Your image was what the film lab separated into dots for your screens. Coarse dots, at that. Only half to a third of the resolution of the original glasses (you can't raster new dots any finer from old source). Again, we were bootstrapped and limited by the tech and realities of screening. Not anymore! CMYK type backglasses can now be produced picture-perfect, with virtually zero loss from the NOS source. Glasses with mirror will be hybrids - screened mirror, digital ink layers. Those will be the last glasses to come online. Looking deeper into the future, we have realized dozens of potential capabilities that CPR can grow into. We'll cross those bridges when we get there. But for example - there would be no reason that CPR couldn't introduce a line of playfield hard-tops for every CPR playfield we have ever done back to 2004... taking care of that price point for restorers / fixer-uppers that otherwise wouldn't justify (or couldn't afford) a $600-$800 playfield. Made one-at-a-time, on demand. We shall see.

**Boutique items and Personal Projects: Looking out further into the future, we're going to get to the point where we can finally attack those "boutique" playfields, glasses, and plastics sets that barely had 25 people signed up to buy, after 3-4 years. The ones that never had a hope in hell of ever being justified to go into (silkscreening) production. NOW THEY ARE VIABLE. Heck, now even if there was ONE signup ... it's now technically viable. Once we get the mainline/legacy products rolling for months to a year, those doors open up to taking on very small runs - serving 1-25 people. This will also eventually extend into a new CPR offering - Personal projects that YOU commission! The ground rules aren't set in stone yet, but roughly it will mean: Any talented/superfan pinballer with a dream - can make it reality ! Meaning, if you lay out the artwork, cuts (if necessary), and present CPR with your project - we CAN and WILL make you that ONE playfield/glass/plastics. If it's for an existing machine, we are thinking about doing it for FREE - IF you allow us to shelve the design materials you provided, and allow us to make/sell other copies to those that need them. If no order(s) come in, that's our risk. Just an idea. A distant idea for this model. But it's completely possible. Pet projects? Rethemes? Custom one-off games? YES - CPR will be the hobby's turnkey shop to make those playfields, glasses, plastics a reality. EVEN IF ITs ONLY ONE. Remember, we're no longer bootstrapped by minimum runs of "100" on the old silkscreen model.

**New Web Site: We FINALLY have a new CPR web site completed. Currently going through beta testing and product/data entry. It is a complete do-over that will replace the legacy web site we've had on our domain for over a decade. FINALLY it will be current to standards of the present. Auto-formatting to browser/device (PC, tablet, phone). Most Importantly (and super-duper FINALLY) CPR will have an automated online Store - with account creation, shopping cart, and Checkout. We had been long overdue to make this step - and in weeks to come, we'll announce it's release ... which will also include a WHOLE NEW (FOURTH) PRODUCT LINE for CPR. Playfields...Backglasses...Plastics Sets... ???????? Tune in to find out.

9 plastics sets and 11 backglasses just hit the site - the first wave of legacy items being brought back online. I'll announce them in a separate post.

Thanks.

KEVIN
    Classic Playfield Reproductions
    http://www.classicplayfields.com

#2 5 years ago

What great news !

Best wishes !

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago

Awesome, Thank you Kevin!

#4 5 years ago

Kevin -

I've always wanted CPR stuff, but couldn't pull the trigger to wait in line and hope for a minimum order. I'm looking forward to what is coming down the road, and best wishes for your (I'm sure) very expensive gamble. I think it will be best for you and the hobby/obsession.

Let the rebuilds begin!

#5 5 years ago

Cabnit art/decals coming as the forth line?? Great news guys and congrats!

#6 5 years ago

This is fantastic news!

#7 5 years ago

now thats good news. well done guys

#8 5 years ago

This is great news! Congratulations, Kevin!

#9 5 years ago

oooooohhhhhh
    RADICAL play field ?

#10 5 years ago

This is freakin awesome! Congrats Kevin and company. Now I will have to buy even more stuff!

#11 5 years ago

I'm curious, with the new process, would you be open to running an existing plastic set with buyer-selected Pantone colors for buyers looking for exact matches to their specific machine, which may include colors altered by time. For example, I might choose a different blue for Jurassic Park plastics to match what's on my playfield.

#14 5 years ago

Very exciting!

#15 5 years ago

Awesome!!!

#16 5 years ago

Sweet, can't wait to see how it pans out. Best of luck!

#17 5 years ago

Cool

#18 5 years ago

Wow just wow!
    Congrats on new baby machine.
    Looking foward to many new exciting things!

#19 5 years ago

Very cool Kevin... congrats! We need you and your team to support our hobby.

#20 5 years ago

Fantastic news!!
    Cheers

#21 5 years ago

Amazing! so many possibilities!!!!

#22 5 years ago

good news regarding the quality of the colors in backglasses

I would like to see a video of the printer doing a playfield (when you have time)

#23 5 years ago

Holy tits. Where do I click to order Big Game?

#24 5 years ago

Fantastic!

#25 5 years ago

Awesome news Kevin, thank you!

#26 5 years ago

Would you guys be able to print custom playfields for customers 1-offs?

#27 5 years ago

This is a great news I have owned a few for playfields and the color on them is great. I’m hopeful the clear process will improve as well, because if it does they could knock it out of the park on olayfield repros.

#28 5 years ago

Great news, Bye wallet.
    Sooo much temptation for future projects!

#29 5 years ago

Most EXCELLENT news Kevin!

0B3ED345-EF7F-4059-832D-0795FB9A16A1 (resized).jpeg0B3ED345-EF7F-4059-832D-0795FB9A16A1 (resized).jpeg
    Clappy the trash panda approves of this new business model!

#30 5 years ago

Damn!

Thank you!

#31 5 years ago

Fs: banzai run plastic set looking for offers

#32 5 years ago

Hit the “Print” button on Flash Gordon plastics please.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

good news regarding the quality of the colors in backglasses
    I would like to see a video of the printer doing a playfield (when you have time)

Agreed would love to see some pics and video of this awesomeness in ACTION!

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from winteriscoming:

For example, I might choose a different blue for Jurassic Park plastics to match what's on my playfield.

Interesting idea. Never thought of this possibility. The answer is YES.

In fact, it's fairly simple to do in the Rip that runs the press. Select one (or any) of the solid colors, and override the master color(s) with a new one.

Costs nothing more, and can be set up in minutes. So not just you - if anybody has a custom color idea for any reason, to any plastics or glass, for color changes - it can be as simple as shooting us an email explanation after your PayPal payment for the product is sent in. Make green... purple 272C. Make red... pink 211C. It's really that easy. You don't even need to explain why. Some people may simply want something "one of a kind" in their fave game.

KEVIN

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

Would you guys be able to print custom playfields for customers 1-offs?

Yes. When we get to the point where we're ready to accept those kind of projects from individuals in the hobby, that will be the whole point.

If anybody has a dream theme, and has laid out their playfield, glass, and/or plastics artwork for a re-theme, one-off, personal project - we WILL be able to run that project and make it reality. Being just one copy is no longer a barrier to entry. That was the whole mission of the new digital suite.

KEVIN

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Flash Gordon plastics please.

Okey dokey. Will be in the next wave of releases in a week or so.

Quoted from tacshose:

Would love to see some pics and video of this awesomeness in ACTION!

Eventually someday, yes. For right now, we don't want to give away how it all works, how the room is all set up, what system we bought, etc. A ton of time and effort was spent doing all the due diligence, and we don't want to lay out a visual how-to guide on how to make this happen. Hope everybody understands.

KEVIN

#37 5 years ago

Thanks for changing things up like this KevinCPR I just got my Mata Hari plastics in the mail yesterday!

#38 5 years ago

Congratulations on your new machine. This will change the hobby for sure.
    If we could just find a way to get you the artwork for "Furie" (Flash conversion)
    MAYBE someone already has it and can share it with the community.
    -Mike

d14cd32a2a194d99cf7189a36159253e833e02ba (resized).jpgd14cd32a2a194d99cf7189a36159253e833e02ba (resized).jpgmonthly_05_2015_bc520d3486cda18d26be69f9f0a6d0f0-furie--hy-c-1981- (resized).pngmonthly_05_2015_bc520d3486cda18d26be69f9f0a6d0f0-furie--hy-c-1981- (resized).png
    #39 5 years ago

Just curious as someone who works in the color press space, are you willing to share with us the specific equipment you've invested in? No real reason other than curiosity. Albeit, would be nice to understand the color gamut it can produce (e.g. how many/what color process, does it produce metalics, other special capabilities, etc.) Obviously, the digital capabilities you have outlined are tremendous, and I for one can definitely appreciate the investment you have made. The impact that you can have on the pinball community will be tremendous. Now, you just need to get some consistent volume on that baby so that I can start paying for itself and making you some profit!

BTW, I assume you would also be open to producing custom jobs with client provided digital files?

#40 5 years ago

Sounds like a great opportunity to get the DE titles run. Was worried there wouldn't be much interest.

#41 5 years ago

So, how feasible to make this commonly broken plastic in the Catacomb backbox?

Thanks

sc00002d0c[2] (resized).pngsc00002d0c[2] (resized).png
    #42 5 years ago

Order up!! Diner playfield please!!

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

So, how feasible to make this commonly broken plastic in the Catacomb backbox?
    Thanks

That's a cool point! Would this allow for making partial plastic runs of just commonly broken parts?

#44 5 years ago

This makes me so Happy!
    I can now get a Flight 2000 back glass
    and since I was too slow a few months ago, a Space Mission back glass too.
    Will be ordering shortly

Thank you so much for all of this..

#45 5 years ago

Junkyard plastic set please!! My set is junk, mostly broken, cracked or missing.

#47 5 years ago

Endless possibilities, just Awesome

#48 5 years ago

What does this mean for the existing preorder lists? Are out going by the lists or will we need to order again from the new website once its in place.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Order up!! Diner playfield please!!

I second that!

#50 5 years ago

This is amazing. I can’t wait to upgrade some of my machines.

There are 413 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announce-cpr-begins-its-new-business-model?hl=gjm7777 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.