(Topic ID: 220220)

Announce: CPR BEGINS its NEW BUSINESS MODEL

By KevinCPR

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20180727_192832775 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180727_220333416 (resized).jpg
    d47f01a1e935e1c63ea813c72490ae9f4976ff99 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4502 (resized).JPG
    marilynfuneral3 (resized).jpg
    0d175e7d70956cfc6ee2e23d9326dbbfe06015b1 (resized).jpg
    910gRBsXpuL._SY445_ (resized).jpg
    Light Shield M-1330-107-2 graphic comparison small (resized).jpg
    Bambi full (resized).jpg
    kleenex4 (resized).jpg
    jrw-fc-01_fv (resized).jpg
    giphy (resized).png
    the_misfits_tri_cg_pop_art_by_zombis_cannibal-d4l7rlg (resized).jpg
    ghost_bc___papa_emeritus_by_queen_aquene-dapgg8d.png (resized).jpg
    sc00002d0c[2] (resized).png
    d14cd32a2a194d99cf7189a36159253e833e02ba (resized).jpg
    There are 413 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 9.
    #151 5 years ago

Awesome news! I’m needing a Bobby Orr Power Play backglass and playfield. I can’t wait for you guys to start cranking this stuff out. This is great news for the whole hobby. Thanks CPR!

#152 5 years ago
    Quoted from KevinCPR:

If others want to make the same titles going forward, well OK... but it's going to be a waste of time and resources IMHO

Personally I’m all for having as many playfield makers producing titles as possible. Competition results in better quality, better customer service and lower prices, which are things I hope also improve as technology makes reproduction easier.

#153 5 years ago

Awesome news!

So for products dated *prior* to 2004, how will those be brought in to the new production process? For example, doing some of the Gottlieb EM stuff - plastics, etc. Is it simply an issue of getting the artwork digitized, or some other reason 2004 is the break-point for fast tracking on the new press?

#154 5 years ago

This is amazingly-timed news! Got some custom pins being developed as we speak!

#155 5 years ago

So, to be clear, does this mean I still have to wait a while to get my Gorgar playfield?

#156 5 years ago
    Quoted from paynemic:

So, to be clear, does this mean I still have to wait a while to get my Gorgar playfield?

I’m in the same boat with my Sorcerer. I’m just hoping they make good on their promise to make hardtops for less popular machines.

#157 5 years ago

I fully support CPR and everything you do. But I don’t agree with knocking other manufacturers (i.e. Mirco) with this post. Case in point, I’ve been looking for a repro Taxi playfield for a few years, which were (until you posted a couple days ago) sold out. Why is it a bad thing that Mirco just produced these for those in need like me? Seems like a strange comment to me if you fully support the hobby. Edit: this was the quote : “This also will soon bring the end to the recent trend of other playfield makers deciding to trod in CPR run & re-run 'territory'. It was odd to watch other maker(s) decide to duplicate our efforts already underway, or already completed years ago - to produce the same playfield title. ”

#158 5 years ago

I'm a little late to the conversation, but yeah that's great that we no longer have to suffer with the poor pixelated quality of traditional silkscreening.

#159 5 years ago
    Quoted from funchaser:

I fully support CPR and everything you do. But I don’t agree with knocking other manufacturers (i.e. Mirco) with this post. Case in point, I’ve been looking for a repro Taxi playfield for a few years, which were (until you posted a couple days ago) sold out. Why is it a bad thing that Mirco just produced these for those in need like me? Seems like a strange comment to me if you fully support the hobby.

why not
    Mirco has been having a dig at CPR for a while

#160 5 years ago

Hi All,

As this is getting into a direction where it goes against me I'm forced to comment this. This will be my only response. If you have any further questions or comments please PM me.

This machine is nothing new to this business. I use digital printing for several years now, starting with woz. Early this year I bought the state of the art machine which has best printing and color possibilities with the widest color room on the current market. We are currently using 8 colors out of 10 so there is room for more. This machine has no problem with skin tones for example.

Anyway this will not affect the sheudle of playfields I'm going to do or plan to make. Even if that is what some people don't want to hear. There will be more duplication titles coming up.

We have the most modern factory behind with currently 4 robots and 4 cnc routers as well as a high end sensitive Sandingmachine which does in between clearcoat sanding without damaging the print.

I have already done several custom pinball projects and can always do that if somebody is asking for that.

Don't missunderstand me. I'm glad CPR improves their process but this will not effect my title choice or production. We are currently running 6 titles same time....

We will see how good their machine really is as there is a huge difference between a 5 year old 50k machine or a new 250k machine. So don't be too enthusiastic and wait to see some results first....

Regards,
    Mirco

#161 5 years ago

I'm wondering if it would be possible to order custom insert colors? For example, all white inserts to allow for RGB lighting on an old game. Or, clear colored inserts where the originals were semi-opaque (apparently a few factory original evel knievels had clears installed in a few locations when the factory ran out of the specified semi-opaque).

Also, what about adding inserts where there previously weren't. For example, I think it would look good if Pinball Pool had lit inserts under the billiard balls in front of the dop targets.

#163 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I've got no beef with Mirco...I just dunno if they have the capability to make that form factor

But notice that they have announced a run of Joust playfields coming - and Joust is a widebody form factor. So I don't believe they are bound to any width limits, any more than we are.

Quoted from Frax:

Guess hardtop is the only viable option unless those guys want to work out something with you guys to make actual playfields...I don't see that happening...

That depends on if hard top makers are willing to maximize their potential artwork monetization. Meaning, use it for themselves, AND montetize it to a playfield maker as well. There is a plain fact that even if no repro playfield is available, that the majority of a playfield-needing audience will STILL not cave to the availability of a hard top or traditional overlay as a half-measure. Simply because the prep/swap work is almost the same investment of time and work. Most are not willing to undertake all that work, unless it's a full blown playfield. That is an untapped market that hard top makers will never touch. No matter how much they cling to their artwork. So, the wiser move to maximize revenue would be to provide the less expensive option to the market, serving those customers on that willingness / budget level... meanwhile ALSO making a monetization deal for the playfield artwork with a playfield maker to take care of the $800+ playfield product market. The two groups barely overlap, IMHO.

The bottom line is, somebody who has the time open, has got to develop the artwork in order for Future Spa to become reality - regardless of product format.

#164 5 years ago

Amazing good news for the pinball restoration hobby!

#165 5 years ago
    Quoted from GKW:

If it is possible, will you bring back the "Ultimate Restoration?"

Yes. We'll eventually get to a new version of this. Baby steps.

For those of you who don't know what this was, it was a compromise measure for the budget-conscious, where we used to allow people to send us stripped/sanded-off original playfields to merge into a repro playfield run, for silkscreening and clearcoating. So you got a brand new playfield topside, but your physical playfield and inserts were original. It was a $300 service - cheaper than a hard top !

The downside was the service was only available at-time-of-repro... because the silkscreening sessions were only going to happen once.

Now, with the new digital suite, we will be able to offer this type of service any day of the year, on any CPR playfield title (past or present) that we have digital artwork masters for.

Quoted from dasvis:

How does the quality compare to silkscreening?

Digital has advantages, silkscreening has advantages. Both have inherent disadvantages. Here's how:

. . .

Silkscreening advantages: No color limitations. Any and all spot colors can be mixed. HUGE gamut. Metallics. Even flourescents and hot brights.

Silkscreening disadvantages: Printing is long, messy, and time consuming. One color at a time, with all those daily press setups-runs-teardowns, with drying time in between. Your job has to be batched and done at once. Kind of a one-time deal. Thus you are tied to the economics of minimum run lengths. Can't do one at a time.

Silkscreening quality: Superior in color gamut. But resolution thru screen mesh is "medium" at best. But it's exactly the authentic look and feel of your original playfield. Sometimes prone to little physical blemishes here and there, due to the printing process being so physical (dust, dander, hickeys, blobbing, etc). Thus we had to get into grading each individual playfield for final results ("Gold, Silver, Bronze") to separate those little differences.

. . .

Digital advantages: On-demand, one-at-a-time capability. Print a complete full-color finished item in one short session. One item. No minimum run length.

Digital disadvantages: Certain color limitations. You are fixed to the gamut of the printer. There are simply colors that a digital printer cannot hit. Lots of them. But depending on the colors in the artwork at hand, you get usually get most of the colors you want, but only "close" on others.

Digital quality: Superior in resolution - 3X to 10X the resolution of silkscreening. But not every spot color in Pantone can be exactly hit. No blemishes, no grading. Every playfield is essentially "CPR gold".

. . .

KEEP IN MIND: Due to the above strengths & weaknesses, we have deemed plastics & backglasses to be fine and very very acceptable on the digital platform. BUT - going forward we are only using digital for playfields that are a) unobtanium and back-catalog to 2004, re-run on-demand b) boutique short-runs below, say 50 pieces, that otherwise wouldn't get made due to not being conomically justified on a silkscreen run. Digital solves those problems.

CPR is still committed to genuine silkscreening our mainline (full-length) playfield runs/releases. Those colors HAVE TO be fully matched and hit on those mainline products, as people expect that. So since those titles and run sizes are big enough to justify us silkscreening, they will still be produced that way. Nothing changes in the mainline playfield department. Bottom line - We will only digital print playfields IF WE HAVE TO, due to economics.

Quoted from lordloss:

Any pf examples you can share to point out the differnces kevin?

OK that's easy now. Since Mirco has openly admitted on this thread he has ALL his mainline playfields digital printed (and has been for years), if somebody wants to make an A-B comparison to see Silkscreen vs. Digital on the same title - somebody needs to lay down a Mirco and CPR Addams Family next to each other and compare them. You will see exactly the advantages and disadvantages I outlined above. An easy example would be the hot (dayglo) orange on TAF. CPR hits it, Mirco does not. We're not willing to use a reduced color gamut on our main playfield product lines.

CPR will be using digital on playfields *only as a compromise* in certain situations where titles we couldn't formerly bring to market can't be silkscreened logistically due to small numbers. Not main production. We will not abandon genuine silkscreening and it's supreme color gamut for our ongoing full-length CPR playfield releases.

Remember the announcement, folks. CPR added the digital suite to fix a very big problem we had, that was holding us back - viability to market for short runs, re-runs, custom items, bringing the back-catalog back from the dead, and to create the on-demand model for ongoing plastics and glasses.

It was not to produce our ongoing mainline playfields. You can all rest easy that mainline CPR playfield runs will still be genuine silkscreened.

KEVIN
    Classic Playfield Reproductions
    http://www.classicplayfields.com

#166 5 years ago
    Quoted from eh97ac:

Coin door inserts from the past....pronto

We're working closely with Marco Specialties to make this happen very soon. Selling and shipping little parts like coin door inserts is their wheelhouse, not ours. So keep an eye on their stock / offerings in the next month or two. They will be the ones covering the coin door insert market.

#167 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Can you lay out how it would work if let’s say I wanted a playfield / plastics / backglass for a title that doesn’t have artwork and hasn’t been done before. I have a Bally Safari that is love to re-do. Does someone have to get the license and do all the artwork?

Somebody would have to come to us with the completed artwork for Safari playfield/backglass/plastics. I haven't nailed down our rules completely yet, but my idea is to produce that somebody their playfield/backglass/plastics for free - if they allow us to keep their artwork on hand to offer additional production to those who also want the trilogy. We'll put them up for orders. We may get 10 orders, we may get 1, we may get none. That will be our gamble. But you get your set for free - in reward for doing the artwork.

Any Bally/Williams licensing & royalties we would take care of. We are partnered with PPS for that.

#168 5 years ago

Kevin, can you post art guidelines and maybe sample art on your site? I have redrawn (vectorized) the art for an unloved 70s Williams EM and would consider your process when it is ready. But I am not an artist so having guidelines from your experienced team would be great! I use Inkscape too as I can’t justify paying for Illustrator.

#169 5 years ago
    Quoted from funchaser:

But I don’t agree with knocking other manufacturers (i.e. Mirco) with this post. Case in point, I’ve been looking for a repro Taxi playfield for a few years, which were (until you posted a couple days ago) sold out. Why is it a bad thing that Mirco just produced these for those in need like me?

Not knocking other manufacturers, simply knocking their choices of titles. New ground should be broken, rather than wasting time re-doing all the groundwork to bring an already-run playfield to market. There are so many playfield titles the hobby wants and needs.

But your point is paramount - an "already-run" CPR playfield (that is sold out and unobtanium) is no good for you, somebody who wants and needs one.

Thus the travesty of our dusty back catalog, going back to 2004. We needed to solve that problem. With all the ongoing NEW un-run playfield run work unchanging, when was there ever going to be a time to shove a playfield re-run (such as Taxi) into our silkscreening queue? And would such a run justify 100 units in order for us to viably silkscreen? These were big questions for us. The longer we dwindle, bootstrapped to silkscreening, the longer those already-run titles become appealing to those who have open production time, and are willing to do small runs. Thus (ie. Mirco) steps in and finds it worth it to commission from scratch. Who wouldn't.

My point being, our back-catalog will now be solved. Opening up the digital suite gives us an additional production line that can take care of all those playfields from now on. Thus they're all coming back for order-taking. There won't be a need for other makers to pick up our slack. We'll have them all covered, and won't need the assistance... my estimate is by probably the end of the year, for all of the "already-run" titles.

#170 5 years ago

You guys should stop shitting on each other or you risk licensee withdrawing permission.

Duplications is a pps problem, he should not authorise 2 suppliers to do the same product.

The problem is you guys all lock titles in years in advance with pps which stops the other doing it.

Then there is territory, mirco selling out of germany and you canada but to the same end user

Everyone shit on next gen, and now you are saying customers cant get original looking products with gradiants,

You can scan the original films into a pc and set up the files to look and print with gradiants as a tiff.

Digital is the way to go, more products and cheaper but i wouldn't change how they look, by printing high resolution photo quality without the gradiant dots.

#171 5 years ago

Kevin,

Sorry if this is a stupid question but can/does CPR do translites as well as actual glass backglasses?

There are several original translites that are very difficult or impossible to get, and the possibilities of original art and designs for alternative translites is large and obvious.

I would love to have replacement original or new art translites for several of my games.

Thanks,

RussMyers

#172 5 years ago
    Quoted from RussMyers:

Kevin,
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but can/does CPR do translites as well as actual glass backglasses?
    There are several original translites that are very difficult or impossible to get, and the possibilities of original art and designs for alternative translites is large and obvious.

Translites per se ... no. We'd be more inclined to make the translite on glass. We just don't really do paper type products. Now if we could source translite (or alternate translite) artwork in proper quality - we would rather produce them on glass panels. Then we've got something we can chew on. That's what we're set up for.

But hey - maybe we can try something new. Trying some paper-type products. The future with the digital suite is wide open. It's a matter of everybody wanting a lot of things, tomorrow, and that is fine. But we've got to take the time to phase-up in our new model, and right now the business at hand is our back-catalog of ~130 plastics sets and backglasses all the way back to 2004.

#173 5 years ago

Hi kevin,

You should think and check before you blame me for doing something what is not true. Looks like you never saw one of my addams playfields in person or have even heard about it. I used digital printing for mass production like woz and hobbit and so on. Our addams are indeed fully screen printed even if you can't imagine that it is possible without having different quality levels. Don't accuse me for something which is not true and I will stay out of this stupid discussion.

Mirco

#174 5 years ago
    Quoted from KevinCPR:

Translites per se ... no. We'd be more inclined to make the translite on glass. We just don't really do paper type products. Now if we could source translite (or alternate translite) artwork in proper quality - we would rather produce them on glass panels. Then we've got something we can chew on. That's what we're set up for.
    But hey - maybe we can try something new. Trying some paper-type products. The future with the digital suite is wide open. It's a matter of everybody wanting a lot of things, tomorrow, and that is fine. But we've got to take the time to phase-up in our new model, and right now the business at hand is our back-catalog of ~130 plastics sets and backglasses all the way back to 2004.

So by paper-type products you mean the flexible acetate sheet the translite is printed on?

I would think adapting your digital print apparatus to translite would be fairly easy but you're the expert.

Pinball collectors would want acetate translites for their machines that have translites, I would think.

The market is definitely there, and your new business model of on-demand printing and original and new art is ideal for translites, IMO.

Would DEFINITELY buy several from you.

Also set of JP plastics maybe with custom color alteration.

That concept has me drooling.

Thanks,

RussM

#175 5 years ago

All the williams bally translites are reverse printed on .380 polycarbonate same as plastics but thinner

Other than pinball 2000 front printed on white translite media

#176 5 years ago

You could do 1/4 size collectors backglasses for framed wall art.

#177 5 years ago
    Quoted from Xon:

This makes me so Happy!
    I can now get a Flight 2000 back glass
    and since I was too slow a few months ago, a Space Mission back glass too.
    Will be ordering shortly
    Thank you so much for all of this..

The Space Mission backglass was a huge disappointment.

#178 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ballypinball:

All the williams bally translites are reverse printed on .380 polycarbonate same as plastics but thinner
    Other than pinball 2000 front printed on white translite media

Good to know.

Polycarbonate and not acetate. My bad.

How did they do the white diffusion coat on the back?

RM

#179 5 years ago

I think this is great news and can only do good things for the hobby!

Well played!

Chris

#180 5 years ago
    Quoted from RussMyers:

So by paper-type products you mean the flexible acetate sheet the translite is printed on?

Yes. Thin floppy stuff. Forgive me, but we simply have no current experience with translites. Personally, the few translites I have experienced in games I have owned are like paper "posters" sandwiched between thin sheets of glass/acrylic.

I'm sure we could do them, and on the correct materials, but we'd need to take them on one-by-one and make sure they are ones that fill a void of what's not already out there. AFAIK vendors often have piles/boxes of translites at shows. Original or repro, I have no idea. Like I said, I haven't paid any attention to the translite market.

Quoted from RussMyers:

Also set of JP plastics maybe with custom color alteration. That concept has me drooling.

Funny you brought those up. JP plastics were just added to the site this morning. They were almost ready for the announcement the other day, but I left them off that wave.

Customize away. If you or anybody orders one, and wants any alterations to colors, just describe your wants in the PayPal comment box.

This will be made clearer on the new web site. But for now, we'll do it this way.

#181 5 years ago
    Quoted from RussMyers:

Good to know.
    Polycarbonate and not acetate. My bad.
    How did they do the white diffusion coat on the back?
    RM

The printer prints white

#182 5 years ago

I hope this does not turn into a pissing match between manufacturers. The hobby is grateful to everyone making parts to keep our beloved games in great shape.

Highclasspinball and KevinCPR - let’s please keep this thread positive.

#183 5 years ago
    Quoted from pintechev:

I hope this does not turn into a pissing match between manufacturers. The hobby is grateful to everyone making parts to keep our beloved games in great shape.
    highclasspinball and kevincpr - let’s please keep this thread positive.

Agree, you don't see Sterns vendors on here bitching about another

#184 5 years ago

Are we looking at Judge Dredd plastics in the near future?

#185 5 years ago

So where can I find the “How to create artwork for my game” thread?

#186 5 years ago

I would like to see a Cheetah BG and possibly plastics and a PF

#187 5 years ago

I want both companies to be successful.
    No mud slinging!!!!

#188 5 years ago

+1 on the request for information about what CPR (or any other vendor really) would need as far as source art to make a product.

I'm a vectorization noob, and I *know* that my process is extremely suboptimal (I use a ton of layers, I don't do color separations, I use gradients in inkscape instead of drawing halftoning dots that were in the original art, I have A METRIC SHITTON OF NODES for basic things...LOL) and would love if nothing else to improve that. It's just gravy to me if I can make a non-custom project happen at some point.

#189 5 years ago

Great news, congrats Kevin. I’m rather keen on some of these personal project notions myself.

I’m pretty curious to see how flat colors print. Process colors will never quite match spot colors, but if you replace a whole plastic set and the blues are slightly different you’ll probably never notice. But the dot dithering vs true ink flooding a screen will be a difference you might notice.

Sure there will be pics soon enough. In the meantime as soon as you’re ready to take personal projects I want to know!

#190 5 years ago

A quick question for CPR. You have converted Star Trek the Next Generation into a mirrored backglass/translight. I love how you did that. With this new model could you do one offs for mirrored backglasses/translights? And can you convert any translight? For example, I would really Love to have a mirrored Terminator 2 backglass/translight, but if i am the only one who wants this could you make one just for me with your new machine and process??

#191 5 years ago

Don't forget that mirrored backglasses require first silkscreening (to mask and etch the mirror) and then printing or additional silkscreening to put the image ink on.

#192 5 years ago

Congratulations on the expansion, this is some of the best news our hobby has had in a long.

Quoted from KevinCPR:

**Boutique items and Personal Projects: Looking out further into the future, we're going to get to the point where we can finally attack those "boutique" playfields, glasses, and plastics sets that barely had 25 people signed up to buy, after 3-4 years. The ones that never had a hope in hell of ever being justified to go into (silkscreening) production. NOW THEY ARE VIABLE. Heck, now even if there was ONE signup ... it's now technically viable.

I assume this means that Data East Batman playfield and backglasses are now a reality? If so this news just keeps on getting better and better.

#193 5 years ago

Does anyone have Swords of Fury in the works FFS? If so, what and when?

I don't care if it is CPR, MIRCO or Hardtop!

#194 5 years ago

that the best thing i ever heard

#195 5 years ago

Incredible news.....

Definitely will help with the restoration process greatly.

I've been looking for a CPR Evel Knievel Plastics set ever since buying my EK machine.... only thing I have found is an original set for $200 & they were not even that great of shape. Will be awesome to buy a machine that they have done previous run parts for & not have to waste months/years searching for parts & then paying outrageous prices when you did find them.

I wanted a CPR PF for my Mata Hari since day I bought it..... put wanted ads up etc. could never find one. Finally found one for $1000 & passed on that since Hardtop is supposed to come out with theirs. So I bought a junk PF for $20 & was going to install all new inserts & then hardtop it when they became avail. Now.... I will just wait for the CPR digital to become avail. I'd have a CPR PF in almost every one of my machines if they had been avail. I did an overlay on Playboy, Silverball Mania.... Fully cleared etc & they look pretty darn nice, but now I will most likely replace them when these titles are available again. I went through all that work & $ because I could not get a CPR....I wold have loved to have given them my business/$ but with the old model I was in wrong place at wrong time on these machines.

I'm not a huge an of multiple companies all offering same PF, BUT... until this announcement, it did make sense for other companies to also offer a PF if it had been a sold out run from CPR.... who wants to pay $1200-$1500 for a hoarded CPR (if & when you could find one) when another company could offer it again for a more reasonable rate. Really looking forward to the Mirco Genie when it is released, not that my Genie PF is bad, but I would like perfect.....

But going forward with this new business model, it would make less sense to try to compete on same PFs.

I'm on Pre-order list for Paragon & Meteor in the boutique zone, & if this helps them bump smaller run stuff like Meteor out of the boutique I'm all for it.

I will be purchasing an Evel Knievel PF, Silverball & MH PF once they are able to be re-released as well as Paragon, Meteor & possibly Playboy as well. Luckily I have been able to find Plastics for all those titles except EK. So once they are avail again I will be hitting them.... & possibly a Paragon BG. So looks like my wallet is going to take a pretty good hit later this year, but that's ok.... if it means the quality of my machines goes up.

Best announcement I have seen since I've been in the Pinball hobby.....Along with Pinball Pimp constantly adding to his stencil lineup, this is going to be great for future restorations.

#196 5 years ago

This is exciting news, and I'm looking forward to seeing the quality of the backglasses, in particular. I have a couple of backglasses printed using state-of-the-art equipment from about 8 years ago. I am happy with them overall, but you can notice some of the colors aren't quite as vibrant as the original for reasons explained above. But what is more noticeable are the line pattern (striations) made as the printer head passed across the glass. Also, translucent areas that should only be clearly visible when backlit (i.e., match numbers for instance) were somewhat noticeable when not backlit. Finally, the areas that are supposed to be completely opaque still transmitted some light, even though they used 2 layers of black ink (instead of the traditional silver ink) to mask those areas.

The backglasses I have from 8 years ago are presentable (and I'm probably a little on the picky side), but I look forward to see how the technology might have improved over the years.

#197 5 years ago
    Quoted from DMC:

You could do 1/4 size collectors backglasses for framed wall art.

Yes! Great idea! I would buy!

And..any single one-off backglass for any machine that you might want to do, for customization purposes.

For that matter, anything at all for a backglass you can imagine...you could modify existing ones for example to make girls topless if you are some kind of pervert. Or, make a Big Dick BG. Put yourself in the art work. Drop a cartoon image of yourself in place of the guy in Old Chicago for example.

Same goes for plastics, now you could customize plastics for a machine any way you like.

All you need is the artwork. The artwork guidelines from CPR would be good, but they probably are pretty straightforward. It wouldn’t be a CMYK file I presume because that is for ink printing, it would be RGB for digital printing at a certain resolution for the stated physical dimensions, probably 300 dpi. It is probably best to make anything you can vector, but you shouldn’t have to. If you produce a 300 dpi bitmap file with the correct dimensions it should print the same.

Of course, CPR will be able to print whatever is given them, but if the artwork is crappy then the result will be crappy. So the artwork needs to be good. But there are lots of talented people around who can produce great stuff in the digital realm.

I’m headed for Photoshop, I have some ideas already...

#198 5 years ago
    Quoted from KevinCPR:

Interesting idea. Never thought of this possibility. The answer is YES.
    In fact, it's fairly simple to do in the Rip that runs the press. Select one (or any) of the solid colors, and override the master color(s) with a new one.
    Costs nothing more, and can be set up in minutes. So not just you - if anybody has a custom color idea for any reason, to any plastics or glass, for color changes - it can be as simple as shooting us an email explanation after your PayPal payment for the product is sent in. Make green... purple 272C. Make red... pink 211C. It's really that easy. You don't even need to explain why. Some people may simply want something "one of a kind" in their fave game.
    KEVIN

this is fantastic, however I do want to point one thing that people may not be considering if CPR offers and they choose this option
    all instances of that color will be replaced, it is not a selective pick and choose on a piece by piece what gets replaced (unless CPR chooses to offer a separate purchase piece by piece service

the reason that I'm bringing this to light is that when jim smith and I did the joust playfield plastics, a couple of joust owners asked us to have custom blue/red sets made for individuals owning machines with the prototype colored plastics (instead of the traditional black/red)
    the problem was that all of black elements (outside of outlines) were not created as a separate layer, so this was not possible

#199 5 years ago

Great news, KevinCPR ! Congrats on the new space and technology! It's always risky to make a large investment and we appreciate your courage and commitment. This is the best news for the hobby in some time!

#200 5 years ago

KevinCPR
    I want to revisit this as an owner of a 'D' list game (Sorcerer in this case). We are going to need a specifications guide for submitting art work. While am admittedly am not an artist, I do have an original playfield, a old HP 4600 scanner, and am quite good at Autocad (vector graphics). I think I could create the digital artwork if it meant I got myself a free playfield.

On the subject of on-off playfields. When you move to the on demand playfield model, what kind of turn around time from order to delivery will we be looking at? Eight weeks?

Quoted from KevinCPR:

Somebody get us the Pool Sharks artwork done up, and we'll make them. As I mentioned in the announcement, I think I'm going to lean toward giving the art creator(s) their copie(s) for FREE, as long as they allow us to archive their artwork to make/sell other copies to those that need them. But the bottom line is, anybody in this hobby now has the power to make a repro release happen - something they've always wanted/needed - no matter how "D-list" the project.
    KEVIN

There are 413 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announce-cpr-begins-its-new-business-model/page/4?hl=weatherbymag and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.