8 months ago

Topic Stats

• 356 posts
  • 182 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 38 minutes ago by russdx
  • Topic is favorited by 98 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 18 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20180727_192832775 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180727_220333416 (resized).jpg
    d47f01a1e935e1c63ea813c72490ae9f4976ff99 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4502 (resized).JPG
    marilynfuneral3 (resized).jpg
    0d175e7d70956cfc6ee2e23d9326dbbfe06015b1 (resized).jpg
    910gRBsXpuL._SY445_ (resized).jpg
    Light Shield M-1330-107-2 graphic comparison small (resized).jpg
    Bambi full (resized).jpg
    kleenex4 (resized).jpg
    jrw-fc-01_fv (resized).jpg
    giphy (resized).png
    the_misfits_tri_cg_pop_art_by_zombis_cannibal-d4l7rlg (resized).jpg
    ghost_bc___papa_emeritus_by_queen_aquene-dapgg8d.png (resized).jpg
    sc00002d0c[2] (resized).png
    d14cd32a2a194d99cf7189a36159253e833e02ba (resized).jpg

There are 356 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.
    #101 8 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Or how cool would it be to take AC/DC and turn it into something that kids actually listen to, like Ghost?

Or something old, but with strong visuals, like the Misfits?

If I had kids that didn’t like to listen to AC/DC, I would admit to the world that I failed as a parent.

To say CPR’s new business model is a game changer is an understatement.

#102 8 months ago
    Quoted from KevinCPR:

We had been long overdue to make this step - and in weeks to come, we'll announce it's release ... which will also include a WHOLE NEW (FOURTH) PRODUCT LINE for CPR. Playfields...Backglasses...Plastics Sets... ???????? Tune in to find out.

Holy crap, RAMPS?? Cabinet decals??

#103 8 months ago

Awesome advancement guys, congrats!

Question: Can your new digital press support spot colors? Thinking the fluorescent colors on T2 playfields and plastics, etc.

Idea: for re-themers - you could provide a file with the inserts, drilled holes, flipper and pop locations, etc marked and the re-themer could create the art file that you would print on a blank playfield. Instant, professional, re-themed playfield!

#104 8 months ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

I would like to see Jungle Lord plastics and backglass done. For Bally and William's titles are we restricted to the original templates owned by Rick

PPS is still the B/W IP license holder, and we will continue to be partnered with them with royalties on anything and everything Bally/Williams we produce. Even if only one is made. We will still take care of that as we always have.

Any old film sets for plastics and glasses won't be of any use on our new platform. If we're making less than 100 (heck, even less than 50), we won't be silkscreening. So old films (if they exist) won't be the format we need or use. Yes, it will be a redraw effort. New freshly drawn layout(s) will be required. Once that is done, 1 can be made, 17 can be made, 50 can be made... it won't matter. Whatever the market orders over time.

They key message is that you, or anybody, can take the reins and bring a historically unconsidered repro project to reality. Even if it's something "silly" that might only ever sell 4 copies. If somebody has the ambition, and steps up with the proper artwork - we'll produce it.

Quoted from triplemercman:

I have been hoping for Black Knight re-run plastics for over four years. Hope to see them soon.

Noted. Will be available in the next wave (see other thread for wave announcements).

KEVIN
    Classic Playfield Reproductions
    http://www.classicplayfields.com

#105 8 months ago
    Quoted from dri:

Finally Meteor graduates out of the boutique zone!

I was thinking the same thing with Barracora playfields.
    No more asking how far off is Barracora anymore.

#106 8 months ago
    Quoted from Pinless:

If I had kids that didn’t like to listen to AC/DC, I would admit to the world that I failed as a parent.

On one hand, it's sad because it's their grandfather's music.

But on the other hand, it's cool, cuz it's AC/DC

#107 8 months ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

Problem with pool sharks plastics is that they are not all flat. Might not actually be feasible.

This has occurred to me and I only have an incomplete set from which to scan.

#108 8 months ago

Great news!
    Can't wait to see so many hard to get parts/plastics back out there.

#109 8 months ago

Well this is a pretty big deal!

This could be big win for EMs as well.

#110 8 months ago
    Quoted from vaevictis:

I have a full set with exception of the left lane return ramp canopy. I do not have a way to scan however.

#111 8 months ago

Wow, so excited to hear this! I just made my wife listen to me read the announcement. Ha!
    Capt. Fantastic and Mata Hari Playfields? Saving my money $$

#112 8 months ago

Yes I read that, but there’s more than mirror.

#113 8 months ago
    Quoted from vaevictis:

I would also be happy with them produced flat and we can heat and bend ourselves.

#114 8 months ago
    Quoted from KevinCPR:

We have internally talked about this. Yes, it's possible. Introducing "Easy Break" selections as individual pieces. But we haven't made a final decision on that yet (baby steps!). There is also a dynamic to effecting plastics sets sales that needs to be considered. How much or how little that is considerable is an unknown right now. But we do have to think about it.

Glad you guys are thinking about this; I like the idea of having a handful of "Easy Breaks" that you know you'll sell a ton of and make it worth doing.

As much as I love some of my games, I can't always justify a full plastic set just for one commonly broken piece. So I'm stuck scouring the web or eBay for them. I'm all for and Easy Break idea. So many awesome possibilities you're throwing around right now in general. Thanks Kevin, and thanks for replying to all these questions, much appreciated.

#115 8 months ago

This is fantastic news, as in the world of business volume means lower prices for consumers and higher margins for the business! WIN WIN! I'm very excited!

#116 8 months ago

I think the sets just including doubles of the easily broken pieces is enough. I would think you want all the pieces to be the same age, And by the time you have broken your extra piece it is probably time for a new set anyways.

#117 8 months ago

I think the price of the horded playfields is going to drop!

Robert

#118 8 months ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Robert

Probably time for a fire sale on those.

#119 8 months ago

I will be looking for Mata Hari Playfield for my EM,
    hopefully in next year or two,
    since I missed out last time they were available.
    Also hope that PFs will be slightly cheaper using the new method.

#120 8 months ago

HOT DAMN!!!! Go kick some ass Kevin! Glad all your hard work and dedication is paying off

#121 8 months ago

Kevin, please consider adding the smaller display backglass for Banzai Run in your next wave?

#122 8 months ago
    Quoted from KevinCPR:

Interesting idea. Never thought of this possibility. The answer is YES.
    In fact, it's fairly simple to do in the Rip that runs the press. Select one (or any) of the solid colors, and override the master color(s) with a new one.
    Costs nothing more, and can be set up in minutes. So not just you - if anybody has a custom color idea for any reason, to any plastics or glass, for color changes - it can be as simple as shooting us an email explanation after your PayPal payment for the product is sent in. Make green... purple 272C. Make red... pink 211C. It's really that easy. You don't even need to explain why. Some people may simply want something "one of a kind" in their fave game.
    KEVIN

Wow, that rocks the house.

RM

#123 8 months ago

Will the new printing method have smaller percentage of mis-screens or printing flaws?,
    thus fewer (lower priced) Silver and Bronze PFs.

#124 8 months ago
    Quoted from Pinballer73:

Kevin, please consider adding the smaller display backglass for Banzai Run in your next wave?

From the way the new business model sounds, there will be fewer and fewer “waves” and just a lot more continuous ripples!!

#125 8 months ago

HOLY HALITOSIS! Thanks for changing the game CPR....we are all in your debt but will fork over the $$$ in the name of Pinball

#126 8 months ago

So your saying that Old Chicago playfield has a chance now! Game changer!

#127 8 months ago
    Quoted from KevinCPR:

Yes. When we get to the point where we're ready to accept those kind of projects from individuals in the hobby, that will be the whole point.

If anybody has a dream theme, and has laid out their playfield, glass, and/or plastics artwork for a re-theme, one-off, personal project - we WILL be able to run that project and make it reality. Being just one copy is no longer a barrier to entry. That was the whole mission of the new digital suite.

I just f'ing sh--t my pants, so thanks for that...

NOW I'm bloody motivated to work on Voltron again. That's epic news..

#128 8 months ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

In-house one-off on-demand production capability does change the dynamic in the hobby...

It very well may cause your suggested effect. Although there may be purists out there who assess higher 'value' to the past silkscreened releases being more "earthy and original" on an artwork technical level. Who knows.

This also will soon bring the end to the recent trend of other playfield makers deciding to trod in CPR run & re-run 'territory'. It was odd to watch other maker(s) decide to duplicate our efforts already underway, or already completed years ago - to produce the same playfield title. There would never really be any good reason to start from scratch, do all the CAD and CNC design, get the artwork commissioned, just to make the same title that's already in our wheelhouse - where we already have all the groundwork done. Such as choosing future playfield releases we have coming (with CPR publicly collecting preorders for year(s) to measure viable run size) and deciding to just announce them and make "however many needed" and thus leapfrog our release to market... just seemed aggressive. Also - making all that investment to start from scratch, re-do all that ground development, to make re-runs of past CPR playfields, thus taking away all our future re-run possibilities...

Well... all that kinda ends now. Time for playfield makers to pick NEW, UNIQUE, and UNTOUCHED playfield titles, and *not* duplicate work (a waste of time and resources) on the same titles. We should all stay in our lanes, and as a combined effort, cover producing completely different playfield titles. Diversity as opposed to duplication. I think everybody would agree. Plus it's damn odd to have the same playfield come out from two different makers at roughly the same time. I mean, why? Those could have been TWO different playfield releases. A waste of time and resources. Plus somebody is left holding the bag on unsold stock - because the hobby cannot support the sales of all the same title playfields from multiple makers. The market is not big enough.

There will be a very narrow window of time, probably the balance of 2018, where whoever is planning to make playfield titles from the CPR back-catalog, better seriously reconsider investing time and money into programming, tooling, testing, and artwork commissioning... because we're already THERE. Once we have them up for on-demand one-at-a-time ordering... there will be no responsible need for anybody else to invest in bringing a legacy CPR playfield title to market ever again. We'll have all those titles covered, and perpetually available, until the day we retire CPR.

KEVIN

#129 8 months ago

Guess I got prematurely overexited about the prospect of having someone competent and reasonably priced printing my Voltron parts...or Crescendo plastics...

Wife says: "Won't they have to worry about licencing?"

f--k.

#130 8 months ago
    Quoted from KevinCPR:

It was odd to watch other maker(s) decide to duplicate our efforts already underway

Just as odd to see Paragon and Space Invaders get made, but not Future Spa, which for whatever reason you guys have still seemed to opt to not do. Dunno if it's all the fat inserts or what, but if hardtops made for ex-CPR titles that were no longer in production funded development for the Future Spa hardtop.....

I'm okay with this.

#131 8 months ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Wife says: "Won't they have to worry about licencing?"

Do anything with known IP that you like... but we're only going to produce ONE copy for custom projects involving third party IP. It's well known in the hobby that you ARE allowed to make a "fan" machine in your own home. One. Not several. But you can't sell it, or decide to run more if others like the design of what you made. If you do - that's on you. We won't be making more than one copy for anybody, in those cases.

If you have a custom/original design that people end up loving, then great - we can run as many as needed for your friends/peers who want one.

KEVIN

#132 8 months ago
    Quoted from KevinCPR:

If you have a custom/original design that people end up loving, then great - we can run as many as needed for your friends/peers who want one.
    KEVIN

This is what I’m tremendously excited about seeing as this hobby moves forward.

#133 8 months ago
    Quoted from KevinCPR:

This also will soon bring the end to the recent trend of other playfield makers deciding to trod in CPR run & re-run 'territory'. It was odd to watch other maker(s) decide to duplicate our efforts already underway, or already completed years ago - to produce the same playfield title. There would never really be any good reason to start from scratch, do all the CAD and CNC design, get the artwork commissioned, just to make the same title that's already in our wheelhouse - where we already have all the groundwork done. Such as choosing future playfield releases we have coming (with CPR publicly collecting preorders for year(s) to measure viable run size) and deciding to just announce them and make "however many needed" and thus leapfrog our release to market... just seemed aggressive. Also - making all that investment to start from scratch, re-do all that ground development, to make re-runs of past CPR playfields, thus taking away all our future re-run possibilities...

Isn't this a PPS thing? They're in charge of who can create what, so what was their reasoning?

#134 8 months ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Just as odd to see Paragon and Space Invaders get made, but not Future Spa

Simple answer. There was no Future Spa artwork. Stu would have had to start from scratch, while the Paragon and SI artworks were available in original factory film sets - but needed major work to bring them to usability. Starting from the 50% mark on two large, detailed art packages was way more feasible than starting from nothing.

But there you go - Future Spa - a perfect respectable selection available for another playfield maker to stake claim to.

This is why multiple playfield makers in the hobby is a great thing. Spread the work around, folks! Everybody should be making completely different titles IMHO.

#135 8 months ago

Will there still be different types of quality on the new playfields.
    Ex: Bronze, Silver, Gold?

#136 8 months ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

Isn't this a PPS thing? They're in charge of who can create what, so what was their reasoning?

PPS has the same goal the hobby has - getting as much product into production and released as possible, as soon as possible.

If CPR has 14 years of playfield runs in our rear view mirror, with the hope of very few of them ever coming back up for a re-run (we're booked solid - look at our Preorder Page obligations) ... then it is only logical that alternate permission will be given to another maker that is saying "I can make those this year"

Thus, it was seen necessary that stuff from our back catalog could to be shunted to another maker. A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.

So this new production model, for us, solves the problem of 14 years of mothballed playfield designs sitting with little hope of ever being run again. Now they can all be made available, and made-to-order as the demand dictates. We no longer have to commit to 100 of each, to see 30+ playfields come back from the dead. So this tips the table back, to where we can be responsible for our own back-catalog. If others want to make the same titles going forward, well OK... but it's going to be a waste of time and resources IMHO

#137 8 months ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Will there still be different types of quality on the new playfields. Bronze, Silver, Gold?

For the future one-off on-demand playfields (when the silkscreened ones are all gone) - the digital press printed playfields will always be "gold" level.

Which makes sense - because even if a playfield comes out of the press with a little blem on it - we can sand it off and run it through again. Think about that for a moment. With silkscreening, which took 1-2 weeks to lay down 8-14 colors one at a time, and a batched run of 100-200 playfields... you couldn't go back to reprint *anything*. We got what we got.

#138 8 months ago

Are you going to be asking for playfields to scan, or do you think that you probably have everything that's available?

Robert

#139 8 months ago
    Quoted from KevinCPR:

Do anything with known IP that you like... but we're only going to produce ONE copy for custom projects involving third party IP. It's well known in the hobby that you ARE allowed to make a "fan" machine in your own home. One. Not several. But you can't sell it, or decide to run more if others like the design of what you made. If you do - that's on you. We won't be making more than one copy for anybody, in those cases.
    KEVIN

That's cool, and I get it...still ends up being a problem down the road to keep those machines looking nice, which is a bummer for me personally, but it's a bummer I can live with versus sinking my soul into an art project which could take 2-3 years and perhaps never being able to even get it produced!

#140 8 months ago
    Quoted from KevinCPR:

Future Spa - a perfect respectable selection available for another playfield maker to stake claim to.

Right, and I've got no beef with Mirco...I just dunno if they have the capability to make that form factor, and you guys already have the sanding tools to do it.

Sucks about the art. I knew there were issues with the Paragon and SI films..figured it was the same for FS, but didn't expect they just weren't around at all. Guess hardtop is the only viable option unless those guys want to work out something with you guys to make actual playfields...I don't see that happening...

#141 8 months ago

Is it possible to provide the large right angle bent jail plastic on Police Force?

#142 8 months ago
    Quoted from Pinballer73:

How about the mini playfield?

#143 8 months ago

If it is possible, will you bring back the "Ultimate Restoration?"

#144 8 months ago

There goes the college fund! - LOL -

#145 8 months ago

How does the quality compare to silkscreening?

#146 8 months ago

My wallet already aches at the massive shopping list I have just created in my head...Oh dear...

#147 8 months ago

Wow. Just wow.

Thank you kevincpr - I think this will usher in a whole wave of rethemes. I wonder if this will help enable small-run indie pinball industry, too?

#148 8 months ago

kevincpr

Coin door inserts from the past....pronto

#149 8 months ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

How does the quality compare to silkscreening?

Any pf examples you can share to point out the differnces kevin?

#150 8 months ago

Can you lay out how it would work if let’s say I wanted a playfield / plastics / backglass for a title that doesn’t have artwork and hasn’t been done before.

I have a Bally Safari that is love to re-do.

Does someone have to get the license and do all the artwork?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 41.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 131.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 234.99
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 8,500.00
    $ 214.99
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 150.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 15.45
    Gameroom - Decorations
    KAHR.US Circuits
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    £ 12.00
    There are 356 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside