(Topic ID: 220220)

Announce: CPR BEGINS its NEW BUSINESS MODEL

By KevinCPR

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20180727_192832775 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180727_220333416 (resized).jpg
    d47f01a1e935e1c63ea813c72490ae9f4976ff99 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4502 (resized).JPG
    marilynfuneral3 (resized).jpg
    0d175e7d70956cfc6ee2e23d9326dbbfe06015b1 (resized).jpg
    910gRBsXpuL._SY445_ (resized).jpg
    Light Shield M-1330-107-2 graphic comparison small (resized).jpg
    Bambi full (resized).jpg
    kleenex4 (resized).jpg
    jrw-fc-01_fv (resized).jpg
    giphy (resized).png
    the_misfits_tri_cg_pop_art_by_zombis_cannibal-d4l7rlg (resized).jpg
    ghost_bc___papa_emeritus_by_queen_aquene-dapgg8d.png (resized).jpg
    sc00002d0c[2] (resized).png
    d14cd32a2a194d99cf7189a36159253e833e02ba (resized).jpg
    There are 413 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.
    #51 5 years ago

Great job guys!

#52 5 years ago

Great news, well done CPR.

I hoping to be able to order the small Banzai Run display backglass. My machine has been missing this glass since I bought it, over 5 years ago. This new setup will help a lot in the hobby bring their games up to spec.

#53 5 years ago

Wow, very cool!

I'm looking forward to seeing how the one-off process goes, I'd love to get some of my homebrew designs printed.

#54 5 years ago

Amazing and congrats!!

When are joust playfields coming?

#55 5 years ago

Congrats Kevin!!!

Looking forward to sending you more money!

#56 5 years ago

Banzai Run plastics please

#57 5 years ago

This is great! Maybe it will be possible to build a Fathom.

#58 5 years ago

This is great news! The hobby is so indebted to CPR and their incredibly hard work to keep our games looking and playing better than new.

Marc

#59 5 years ago

This will revolutionize the pinball restoration industry and possibly increase sales of those machines that no one could get parts for! Congrats Kevin!

#60 5 years ago

Will this make it easier for you to produce new sets for games that have not been reproduced yet? And do you think the line of new products, not previously released, will expand extensively at some point? Maybe even some pool sharks plastics down the road.

#61 5 years ago

sweet.. will stay tuned for homebrew system!

#62 5 years ago

Wow, that’s huge deal - awesome!

I’ll admit I was worried when I read the headline; I thought you might be going to a SAAS model like everything else in the world

#63 5 years ago

The one advantage screenprinting has over digital is the spot colours - being able to do metallics, fluorescents, glow in the dark, etc. Wondering how well digital will work there.

But being able to get one-offs is certainly great!

#64 5 years ago

How do you see this affecting the pricing of new playfields? Will you be able to reduce the amount some because of the time saved screening?
    Thanks for your commitment to the hobby.

#65 5 years ago

Great news for the hobby. Probably sucks for guys that have been hoarding reproduction parts to flip down the road, but not my problem.

I know next to nothing about printing technology. Any links to the press that you purchased to learn more about it?

#66 5 years ago

This is great news to hear!!!

#67 5 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

The one advantage screenprinting has over digital is the spot colours - being able to do metallics, fluorescents, glow in the dark, etc. Wondering how well digital will work there.
    But being able to get one-offs is certainly great!

Quoted from KevinCPR:

Glasses with mirror will be hybrids - screened mirror, digital ink layers. Those will be the last glasses to come online.
    Thanks.
    KEVIN
    Classic Playfield Reproductions
    http://www.classicplayfields.com

#68 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

Will this make it easier for you to produce new sets for games that have not been reproduced yet? And do you think the line of new products, not previously released, will expand extensively at some point? Maybe even some pool sharks plastics down the road.

I'm in on some Pool Sharks plastics and would love to see a backglass!

#69 5 years ago

congratulations CPR guys. It's definitely going to change the hobby positively.
    Would love to see a Swords of Fury playfield set.

#70 5 years ago

If Its a digital cmyk, which creates colors with dots, you cant match fluro or skin tone colors, like next gen, some would still need to be screened

The only problem is adhesion anyone seem the chunks of art come off some manufacturers playfields digitally printed.

I guess its some type of uv flatbed with some type of spot colors

#71 5 years ago

Game changer!

#72 5 years ago

It feels like christmas. Opens the doors for possible projects. I tend to shy away from pins missing backglass or plastics that are unobtainable.

#73 5 years ago

Finally Gorgar can get out of the “preorder” stage... my first playfield swap project!!

#74 5 years ago

How cool would it be to issue new Jurassic World plastics and Backglass every year when the new movie comes out?

Update your old machines and they might actually make some money on route.

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

How cool would it be to issue new Jurassic World plastics and Backglass every year when the new movie comes out?
    Update your old machines and they might actually make some money on route.

Super cool... just curious how licensing would play into this? I’m sure individuals can do whatever they want to their own machine since not making for resale... but would CPR need license approval before printing and selling?

#76 5 years ago

This is exceptional news. And now.....everybody wants to be your best friend

#77 5 years ago

Or how cool would it be to take AC/DC and turn it into something that kids actually listen to, like Ghost?

ghost_bc___papa_emeritus_by_queen_aquene-dapgg8d.png (resized).jpgghost_bc___papa_emeritus_by_queen_aquene-dapgg8d.png (resized).jpg

Or something old, but with strong visuals, like the Misfits?

the_misfits_tri_cg_pop_art_by_zombis_cannibal-d4l7rlg (resized).jpgthe_misfits_tri_cg_pop_art_by_zombis_cannibal-d4l7rlg (resized).jpg
    #78 5 years ago

With this new process, I'd love to get a less popular pf like Demolition Man. I know it's not everyone's favorite, but my family loves the game.

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

Super cool... just curious how licensing would play into this?

The studios WANT to license their properties.

That's how they make money.

If you can buy a license to put Jurassic World on a .99 cent Kleenex box, you can buy it for anything.
    jrw-fc-01_fv (resized).jpgjrw-fc-01_fv (resized).jpg
    kleenex4 (resized).jpgkleenex4 (resized).jpg

#80 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The studios WANT to license their properties.
    That's how they make money.
    If you can buy a license to put Jurassic World on a .99 cent Kleenex box, you can buy it for anything.

giphy (resized).pnggiphy (resized).png
    #81 5 years ago

Great news. How does this affect your pricing?

#82 5 years ago

sounds like I can get some zaccaria backglasses made now

#83 5 years ago

Are you going to do Judge Dredd plastics?

#84 5 years ago

Finally Meteor graduates out of the boutique zone!

#85 5 years ago

Exciting! How will you determine which new projects to tackle? I have been looking for plastics forever for some of my games like Pool Sharks and Maverick and I know some others are in the same boat. Is there a way to gauge demand to have new sets designed and made available?

#86 5 years ago

I'm definitely excited about this, and I'll also add to the group of people asking if this new process and capabilities that come with it will allow for individual plastics to be run and sold at reasonable prices for those of us not needing a complete set. E.G. that pesky Pinbot under the hood plastic that's often broken (549-11)!

Excited to hear more!

#87 5 years ago
    Quoted from muzikman:

Exciting! How will you determine which new projects to tackle? I have been looking for plastics forever for some of my games like Pool Sharks and Maverick and I know some others are in the same boat. Is there a way to gauge demand to have new sets designed and made available?

+1 on Pool Sharks plastic and glass. It's a new day. The unobtainium market is crashing!

#88 5 years ago

This is definitely a game changer! Now any player's machine can be restored to like new condition given PFs, plastics, and backglasses are available for that machine! How exciting for this hobby. Congrats guys!

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

If we could just find a way to get you the artwork for "Furie" (Flash conversion) MAYBE someone already has it and can share it with the community

Yes. All we'd need is the master files for the glass and playfield, and a sanded-off Flash playfield, sent to us. We'd do the rest.

Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

are you willing to share with us the specific equipment you've invested in? would be nice to understand the color gamut it can produce

We're keeping our cards close to our chest on this one. As I commented up further, we don't want to lay out a how-to guide after all the due diligence we went through. It was a ton of trials, tests, and work. As for gamut - yes, silkscreening (hand mixed spot inks) do have a slight upper-hand for some rare colors (extremely brights and hots, for example). There will be no metallics, those layers would have to be screened. Mirror (as in the case of some glasses) will still have to be screened. But as for like "98%" of the traditional color requirements for the vast majority of pinball stuff, I couldn't deny any longer holding onto the silkscreen model forsake of a few colors here and there being slightly compromised. It's more important everything be available, and the product-to-market model is completely replaced with something with near-zero barriers.

Quoted from Shapeshifter:

So, how feasible to make this commonly broken plastic in the Catacomb backbox?

Could be done tomorrow. I'd need the artwork and the cutline. We could make one. We could make 100. Easy.

Quoted from zacaj:

Would this allow for making partial plastic runs of just commonly broken parts?

We have internally talked about this. Yes, it's possible. Introducing "Easy Break" selections as individual pieces. But we haven't made a final decision on that yet (baby steps!). There is also a dynamic to effecting plastics sets sales that needs to be considered. How much or how little that is considerable is an unknown right now. But we do have to think about it.

Quoted from jjoravec:

What does this mean for the existing preorder lists?

Nothing has changed. All the inboxes containing all the folks raising their hands with committments to playfield runs, are still here. Our pipe will continue to move playfields along, and those runs will be silkscreened (the batches are still big enough, and the product is essentially all presold). Once runs emerge from clearcoat, the traditional method of emailing 100+ folks with payment instructions will still happen as normal.

Once we finish getting all the legacy plastics sets & backglasses up on the site and considered "In Stock" - then we'll move onto legacy playfields. That will mean that all CPR playfield titles going back to 2004 will become "In Stock" and available to order, on-demand. Once we get an order, we make you a playfield. The one-off legacy playfields will be digital print. This means 14 years of sold-out titles will all be available again, perpetually. No need of "re-runs" ever again. We'll make just one at a time. I think our turnaround will be 3 weeks or so for a "Made For You" playfield. Most of that time is seeing the playfield through our clearcoater (who does loads of 50-100 every couple weeks).

KEVIN

#90 5 years ago

I am curious about playfields. In the past it was stated that there was a long lead time for inserts and they had to be ordered in fairly large batches. Have you found a way to expedite.this process also?

I think today's announcements are great but I also think people are going to expect too much too soon. In reality we should expect playfields to roll out in months and years, not days and weeks. Right?

Also wondering if you guys quite your day jobs or if this is still a side business. Either way I hope you are wildly successful.

#91 5 years ago

Marilyn Taxi playfield for me please.

#92 5 years ago

It would be interesting to see what the insert quantity levels required for such an on demand service would need. Number of different types, colors, etc.

#93 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

Will this make it easier for you to produce new sets for games that have not been reproduced yet?

Yes, much easier. The barrier-to-market has been completely lifted, due to there being no minimum run size. Take for example, Genesis plastics... kind of obscure, there are a few fans out there, but there is no way we (previously) could justify doing the artwork and silkscreening for minimum 100 Genesis plastics sets... Now if a few Genesis guys get together and produce the artwork, we can literally make just three sets for them. In other words, the weirdest and D-list items can now be produced. as long as somebody takes the initiative to do the artwork. We will still introduce our OWN artworks for ongoing new releases, but those will be more B-list or better. We'll play in the space of 25-50 potential market, for our purposes. But at least now that's a heck of a lot more open to possibilities than the former "minimum 100", and sitting on unsold stock for years due to such a small audience.

Quoted from Pinzap:

how licensing would play into this? I’m sure individuals can do whatever they want to their own machine since not making for resale

Precisely. One-off re-themes are no problem, and no licensing needs to get involved. But it literally means ONE-off's... we won't get into doing multiple copies of licensed themes. Our role for homebrew projects will be "hired production shop" to make your parts a reality.

Quoted from vaevictis:

+1 on Pool Sharks plastic and glass. It's a new day.

Somebody get us the Pool Sharks artwork done up, and we'll make them. As I mentioned in the announcement, I think I'm going to lean toward giving the art creator(s) their copie(s) for FREE, as long as they allow us to archive their artwork to make/sell other copies to those that need them. But the bottom line is, anybody in this hobby now has the power to make a repro release happen - something they've always wanted/needed - no matter how "D-list" the project.

KEVIN

#94 5 years ago

Re-theming a pin is now becoming very interesting!

#95 5 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

I am curious about playfields. In the past it was stated that there was a long lead time for inserts and they had to be ordered in fairly large batches. Have you found a way to expedite.this process also?

The new model, to apply it to playfields, would mean we'd need to keep a stock of all the inserts needed to make any past CPR playfield, on hand. Then they're there to grab the variety needed, once an order comes in off the site. So inserts will be on hand. Most are already here NOW, with a few exceptions in waiting.

Quoted from RustyLizard:

I also think people are going to expect too much too soon. In reality we should expect playfields to roll out in months and years, not days and weeks. Right?

You are correct. Baby steps. Baby steps.

Our current aim right now is getting the ~130 plastics and glasses, all the way back to 2004, out of the theoretical mothballs and up for sale. THEN we'll look at bringing each playfield online, from the past.

KEVIN

#96 5 years ago

Problem with pool sharks plastics is that they are not all flat. Might not actually be feasible.

#97 5 years ago

This is great news! Congratulations!

I just noticed the Paragon backglass is now back in stock, mine started getting worse a few months ago and I could not find one.

I will be very interested to see how these look and see some reviews when they come in! It almost sounds too good to be true, on demand runs plus improved quality at the old price point?

Happy Canada Day

#98 5 years ago

I would like to see Jungle Lord plastics and backglass done and would be willing to help as I could to make it happen. For Bally and William's titles are we restricted to the original templates owned by Rick or are you encouraging the artists to go through a process similar to what Stu used to do?

#99 5 years ago

This is excellent news Kevin. You guys have made a huge impact on classic pinball restorations for sure. I have been hoping for Black Knight re-run plastics for over four years. Hope to see them soon. Thanks for your team's dedication to the classic pinball community!!!

#100 5 years ago

My advice for the website. Get rid of Adobe Flash completely and use Bootstrap for your design. Just a suggestion.

There are 413 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announce-cpr-begins-its-new-business-model/page/2?hl=pinless and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.