Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 221 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Puffdanny
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20181204_092219 (resized).jpg
    20181204_092219 (resized).jpg
    9AEB914F-2459-4515-924C-DC5AEFD93EBA (resized).jpeg
    stnc_catacomb2 (resized).jpg
    20180929_172151 (resized).jpg
    terryminibike2 (resized).jpg
    terryminibike (resized).jpg
    20180929_203945 (resized).jpg
    20180929_202253 (resized).jpg
    20180929_202628 (resized).jpg
    cops (resized).jpg
    i am so excited pic (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    002_ac551358-d444-4970-b672-5fd5a17f2caa_large (resized).jpg
    one (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cfh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I would like to announce a Fall Ann Arbor mini pinball show. This will be Saturday September 29, 2018 at from 10am to 8pm. Like our full-blow spring show, over 400 pinball games on free play available. But unlike the spring event, this will *not* be a pre-register event. It will be cash-at-the-door. We are thinking about a $5 pre-register via paypal to keep numbers in check. But I guess i'm willing to hear ideas on that. But we may just try no pre-register and see where this goes. For a first time event, i have to figure it will be pretty tame in terms of numbers.

It's kind of an experiment to see if there's interest in this. We'll try this fall mini-show in this format, and see where it goes!
    See http://vfwpinball.com for more details

Thanks!
    [email protected]

#8 5 years ago

The plan is to not turn anyone away. With the late notice (less than 3 months) and just a one day event (no tourneys either) and a first time fall event during football season, we were thinking that numbers would low anyway. We kind of wanted to see how this would go as an experiment.

#12 5 years ago

I'm really torn on how to proceed with this. As an experiment, i really want to run this like a "normal" pinball show. Just to see what numbers come. But as others have said, what if too many people show up? i can't really turn them away. I think a lot of people don't come to our show because it either sells out or they just don't get tickets, because they don't know their life's schedule until a day before. As a compromise, announcing the show late and having it one day, i thought we would get a lot lower numbers. that's the test... but we could go to a ticket pre-sale arrangement. would love to hear opinions on this...

#18 5 years ago

that's kind of how i felt about it too. i would like to try it and see. i guess if it spins out of control, it's just one day... but i can't see that happening. first off, not really advertising this event. might print some cards and give them to pinball life. but that would be the extent of it...

#30 5 years ago

i'll work on some sort of pre-registration thing tonight/tomorrow. and update the website.

#32 5 years ago

Ok i have it set up on http://www.vfwpinball.com
    you can make a ticket reservation and remainder ticket price is due at the door. thank you.

#36 5 years ago

Did it right assuming that the additional name you provided was Trevor.

#52 5 years ago

Ok so you guys were right. I put up the reservation page and 25% of the tickets are already spoken for, in a 24 hour period! Holly crap i did not expect that. Since there is a max number, if you want to go to the fall 2018 Ann Arbor pinball mini-show, get a ticket reservation (sooner than later.) http://www.vfwpinball.com

#61 5 years ago

There has been a poster for every years' spring show. But we don't make that many of them, and they are gone quickly.

The best poster was for the first spring show. It was really awesome and we had probably 100 of them, available at the door for free. they were gone pretty much instantly. They had a montage of pinball backglasses, like 30 of them. I only have one of those posters myself!

2 weeks later
    #74 5 years ago

JM clearly mis spoke. First off, it’s his “fire chat side”, as he prefers to call it. He is the moderator, the speaker, the hotdog roaster, the marshmallow roaster. This is his gig. I'll be there too, hopefully with some other far more important people.

there’s a couple important points....

1. There will be an actual fire. That is, this is held outside. And it’s after the show closes at 8 o’clock on Saturday night. Not one of these fake fire chats you see at other shows, where there’s no actual fire. How bogus is that? You must have a fire to have any sort of chat by the fire. I can’t believe the guys at all these other shows where they claim to have some sort of fire chat, but there’s no actual fire. At the VFW we give you the real deal with a real fire!

2. You will be able to roast marshmallows and hot dogs by the real fire. That’s because there’s a be an actual fire pit to roast things and to chat next to. We will have a limited number of hotdogs and marshmallows. There is an unlimited number of sticks to put them on because there’s woods right next-door. Make sure you pick out a nice dick, Err I mean stick, before coming if you want to roast

3. Everyone is invited to speak. Will go around and tell stories, kind of like we all used to do at Boy Scouts. But it doesn’t have to be a ghost story. It could be a regular story. It’s up to you. The moderator will ask people to raise their hand and he’ll pick someone.

4. The cost of this fine event is nothing. You just need to have bought a Saturday ticket

5. If things start to get boring we’ll throw JM on the fire and watch him do his fire dance

6. Last but not least, and very important, bring your own chair. We will not have enough chairs for everybody so it’s best if you bring your own camping chair so you can sit comfortably by the fire

2 weeks later
    #90 5 years ago

my personal opinion is that there's no worse DE game than StarTrek 25.
    i would own a batman. just i think they all melted or self destructed. they are really hard to find. when when you do find them, they are wasted. like dragged behind a car, wasted.

#95 5 years ago

It takes a lot of time and energy to do a repair class. we've done it before, for vfw members, and a handful of non-members. i think we did 2 or 3 classes. but my experience is that if people don't use the info immediately, it's all forgotten. So for the vfw members, this was an issue, they just don't use the info enough. that's why we haven't don't more classes. Because the whole idea was to get the VFW members better at pinball repair. But to that end, the classes just didn't seem to help.

Instead we came up with a different idea known as "sunday sunday sunday", where we do game restores/repairs. this seemed to help a lot more, and was far less preparation and structure work.

#100 5 years ago

the sunday sunday sunday thing is more EM related. It's really hard to teach solidstate repair in that format. but EM repair works really well in that environment. we don't do them during the summer though as michigan summers are just too short.

#102 5 years ago

we have been doing the board repair thing for years. it's not advertised but people bring stuff, and if there's time, we fix it right then. Nothing real elaborate mind you. coin battery installs and simple things mostly.

#104 5 years ago

We have cut 8 foot wide nature trails into the VFW property too. So if you want to take a break from pinballs, there's a 1/2 mile trail through the woods. It's really nice. Probably a good place for smokers or those that just need a break from the action.

1 week later
    #108 5 years ago

If you guys are planning to come to the mini-show on saturday Sept 29th at the VFW, my suggestion is you get your ticket reservation soon. For as little advertising as we've done on this, ticket reservations are starting to thin down. See http://vfwpinball.com/?p=128 for details. Thanks!

#114 5 years ago

The parking lot is certainly big enough if anyone wanted to sell games there. but i think the days of old are gone where guys show up with a trailer, filled with 10 games (as is) for sale...

#118 5 years ago

I miss coil and his stanky, cheap, project games....

1 week later
    #127 5 years ago

If any of you guys want to come to the Saturday Sept 29th Ann Arbor VFW mini-pinball show, please get your ticket reservations ASAP. The number of remaining tickets is getting pretty thin. We are nearly sold out for the show.
    http://vfwpinball.com/?p=128

#131 5 years ago

There are like three ticket reservations left, last I checked. Otherwise we are basically sold out for the show.

#134 5 years ago

Looks like there is one ticket available via the website

#138 5 years ago

Christopher Franchi will be hosting the after party "fire chat side" outside, around the fire pit.
    Actually, i don't know if he will be doing that... i just made that up... sounds good though!

#139 5 years ago

The show is completely sold out!
    thank you everyone for getting your ticket reservations.

#144 5 years ago
    Quoted from Metaluna5:

Can I do it like the beginning of those 80's horror films, where I tell a story about a cool idea I had that Stern made me take out of the art, and then Clay jumps out with a spooky rubber mask on? If so, I'll do it!

DUDE i got you covered!
    Ghost stories are appreciated too!!

#145 5 years ago
    Quoted from blueman01:

Oh no ... the last I looked there were no tickets needed. Now there are tickets .. and ... I missed them. Let me know if anyone needs to get rid of two tickets.
    Thanks.

When we first announced, yes, no tickets. But people complained and wanted a controlled crowd and controlled numbers. So we did a compromised and did "ticket reservations." I didn't think it would sell out, guess i was wrong! it was a good thing we did it this way.

That said, if you need a ticket reservation or two, send me an email [email protected] and i'll see what i can do. People cancel and change plans, so i expect it won't be a problem.

#147 5 years ago

Ok fair enough...

2 weeks later
    #185 5 years ago

my favorite picture from the show....

terryminibike (resized).jpgterryminibike (resized).jpg

And the guy holding his beer is in the background...

terryminibike2 (resized).jpgterryminibike2 (resized).jpg

#197 5 years ago

Did anybody find the new VFW happy trail? If so was it utilized??

And I agree Doug’s VFW breakfast sandwich was the best I’ve ever had anywhere

#204 5 years ago

We've been refining a lot of games to better lighting (warm white frosted LEDs for GI.) The classic sterns are one of those that we really need to upgrade. We just finished Catacomb, but we need to go down the row and do them all. We did the GI and the CPU controlled lights on that game. It's a time consuming process (resistors added to every CPU controlled light socket), but worth it in the end.

stnc_catacomb2 (resized).jpgstnc_catacomb2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cfh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announce-2018-fall-ann-arbor-mini-pinball-show-sept-29?tu=cfh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.