DSC_1061.jpg
DSC_1060.jpg
DSC_1059.jpg
DSC_1058.jpg
DSC_1057.jpg
DSC_1055.jpg
20150102_201346.jpg
baby-back-ribs.png
There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 9 years ago

We have gotten clearance from WMS to produce playfield overlays - these were previously prohibited by them. Given the acquisition of the IPB (WMS) artwork films, we have a number of titles of games which are not popular enough to justify wood playfields but can be done reasonably well with Playfield Overlays.

These overlays are Ink-Up on Adhesive backed Mylar with the Inserts in Clear, so this will eliminate the old-style overlays where the inserts require a separate process. What is required is that a clearcoat be applied, which is usually the best outcome anyway.

The limitations will be that a) exotic colors cannot be (easily) done, b) while usually the artwork films callout the colors, color matching will be best available, c) fit sometimes may vary due to original variations in production as well as variations in the playfield itself - so there may need to be some help required with someone to get a blank playfield that can be matched against for colors and fit.

We have started with a supplier to make Jokerz, and then more quickly - these do not take alot of time to do ...

We are still inventorying WMS Artwork films and so more titles will be available, but at this point here are some of the titles we could produce - so we will look for any interest. The price of an overlay would generally be around $200 +/-

Some of the titles that we have that may be able to be done:
- 8 Ball
- Air Aces
- Algar
- Alien Poker
- Beat The CLock
- Big Guns
- Black Pyramid
- Bow and Arrow
- Carousel
- Circus
- Cybernaut
- Flip-Flop
- Game Show
- Hard Body
- Heavy Metal Meltdown
- Hi-Lo Aces
- High Speed
- Hurricane
- Hyperball
- Jokerz
- Joust
- Kick-Off
- Lost World
- Monte Carlo
- Motordome
- Nip-It
- Odds & Evens
- Police Force
- Pool Sharks
- Quarterback
- Ro-Go
- Scorpion
- Sky Kings
- Space Shuttle
- Space Station
- Strange Science
- Supersonic
- Swords of Fury
- Thunderball
- Time Fantasy
- Transporter

#2 9 years ago

I'd love to have one for Taxi, should that ever come about. Excellent news!

#3 9 years ago

#4 9 years ago

The thread title confused me, you mean "cleared" as in approved I presume, but I read it as in clear coated.

And I sure hope Stu is wrong and you're not using Classic Arcades as your source. Not exactly a popular vendor here on Pinside ...

#5 9 years ago

Nice job Rick . This is the type innovation I like to see. Much better time spent than policing others.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

And I sure hope Stu is wrong and you're not using Classic Arcades as your source. Not exactly a popular vendor here on Pinside ...

+1

#7 9 years ago

Now, if you can get somebody to do the Strange Science plastic set, that would be something

#8 9 years ago

Also hope that the partnership is with CPR so there is a QC process involved.

#9 9 years ago

So, Just how durable are these overlays?

I'd much rather wait until CPR does the playfield remake.

CPR is known to do outstanding work.

I sure hope that PPS isn't going in the direction of making overlays instead of allowing the professionals to make playfields.

#10 9 years ago

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The thread title confused me, you mean "cleared" as in approved I presume, but I read it as in clear coated.

Quoted from PPS:

What is required is that a clearcoat be applied, which is usually the best outcome anyway.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Now, if you can get somebody to do the Strange Science plastic set, that would be something

We have the art films for Strange Science plastic set so we can look the interest in them ...

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

So, Just how durable are these overlays?
I'd much rather wait until CPR does the playfield remake.
CPR is known to do outstanding work.
I sure hope that PPS isn't going in the direction of making overlays instead of allowing the professionals to make playfields.

Most all of these titles we are coordinating with CPR and the several other playfield suppliers. These are the titles that a) either will likely never be done, or b) have been done but are sold out and likely will never be done again (or at least not for several years).

It's as durable as Mylar is - pretty durable. PPS has a professional art dept, and as I've said - many if not most of these titles will never have a wooden playfield made of them.

rick

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I have cleared up the confusion by changing the post title

#15 9 years ago

We need something for Mousin' Around

#16 9 years ago

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

I'm assuming the vendor is Classic Arcades as Jeff already has the Jokerz! Overlay available on eBay:
ebay.com link
My apologies if I'm wrong about the vendor making these, but it makes sense....

we will have multiple entities making overlays, including pps (but we are quite busy on many projects).

Overlays will be from original wms artwork films - so the art would be excellent

As for quality, when we don't have a bare playfield to compare to we (or one of the suppliers) will solicit for a discount someone to either provide a bare playfield and/or take a proof and check for any issues, etc.

or ... you can always choose not to buy one.

rick

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

Actually Rick:
— the Lost World PF vector art was 75% done when halted on B/W projects
— Joust Artwork has been done for 6 years now
— 8 Ball Repros have already been done
— Space Shuttle Repros have already been done
— and we were seriously considering Jokerz! before the hault on B/W projects

Well Stu, then i suggest CPR contact me so we can discuss - as things are several years out, it will be better to have 'a' solution vs no solution. People will not always wait years for a playfield. We have reviewed most of the titles with Kevin as well as titles that have already been done that are out of stock and will not likely be re-run - so I prefer to make solutions available to customers than to hold them hostage for years.

btw ... i am working from the CPR list with Kevin directly - but as i said, it's just fine if we have an interim solution years before a playfield were to come out. CPR generally only makes 10+ playfields a year, so I hope you are not advocating a 5 year wait for many of these ... I'm certainly not down for that long of a wait.

thanks,
rick

#19 9 years ago

#20 9 years ago

I see a lot of hard body restoration threads in the future.

#21 9 years ago

I was hoping to see a baby pacman, any chance of it?

#22 9 years ago

#23 9 years ago

8 Ball Deluxe

Considering Kevin has already come to the conclusion that these playfields won't be made again.

#24 9 years ago

we are looking for others, we still have alot more films to go thru.

baby pacman - we have the artwork, but need to check to see if any other rights holders are involved ...

rick

#25 9 years ago

The high speed CPR pf's sold out, but are on this list as limited demand?

#26 9 years ago

Sign me up for a HS Rick. Nothing for Nitro Ground Shaker?

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

The High Speed CPR pf's sold out, but are on this list as limited demand?

Yes, for playfields which have been run already there are some on the list as we've reviewed most with CPR (and others) so that overlays will be available for playfields that have sold out and will not be available (at or -or- for at least a very long time) ... better to have a solution vs no solution ...

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Sign me up for a HS Rick. Nothing for Nitro Ground Shaker?

the list is a preliminary list so it's a little fluid ... as we map out what others are 'really' going to make, as well as the demand of what people want/need the list will be updated.

I need to check on nitro ground shaker, but we have artwork i'm pretty sure, so one or both options may be in the cards for that title.

rick

#29 9 years ago

Is Defender a possibility?

#30 9 years ago

That would be awesome. An overlay for Ground Shaker would get me by until I get a CPR playfield. Hopefully these transpire in the near future. Thanks Rick.

#31 9 years ago

To be 'clear', the overlay mist be applied and then a clear coat applied?

#32 9 years ago

#33 9 years ago

Stu, my Nitro is gonna look sweet when I get a CPR replacement playfield. I would like to salvage the old one for some wall art with the overlay which otherwise would be garbage without. It's pretty trashed.

#34 9 years ago

Any thoughts on a Comet Playfield and or a overlay ..????

If I have playfield already.... Could I send it in for PPS to install the overlay and send it back..

Of would a PPS> vendor have any desire to do this for people... ???

Thx...

#35 9 years ago

Rick, any thoughts on IJ pf remakes?

#36 9 years ago

If the vendor is Jeff @ Classic Arcades, I'd rather sit on a red hot iron poker than pay 200 bucks for an overlay from him.

No way, bro. No...way. You guys don't enforce quality standards on him for jack. I have my original Shuttle playfield that could badly use an overlay to be useable for someone to enjoy it again, but I would seriously use it for firewood before committing it to that guy's products.

I mean really, the fact that this appears on his ebay listing should indicate his attention to detail. Even if this is a humor attempt, it's a fail.

"IT DON'T GET NO BETTER THAN THAT!"

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

If the vendor is Jeff @ Classic Arcades, I'd rather sit on a red hot iron poker than pay 200 bucks for an overlay from him.
No way, bro. No...way. You guys don't enforce quality standards on him for jack. I have my original Shuttle playfield that could badly use an overlay to be useable for someone to enjoy it again, but I would seriously use it for firewood before committing it to that guy's products.

I've heard enough on this guy. I think if I buy one I'll do it through PPS in hopes of better likelihood to return something crappy.

#38 9 years ago

Would love to see a Gorgar overlay, Flip Flop is on my want list too. Either way looks like good things
are happening for bad playfields!

#39 9 years ago

I would love to see gorgar and sorcerer

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

We have the art films for Strange Science plastic set so we can look the interest in them ...

I am VERY interested

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from Tokkentakker:

I would love to see gorgar and Sorcerer

You and a lot of other folks.

#42 9 years ago

The inserts are clear? Does this mean you would still need insert decals if the inserts are wasted? Or will I need to remove the old ink from the inserts? I have a High Speed in the shop out queue and I'm very interested. I'd be psyched if this happens in the next couple months.

#43 9 years ago

Really cool news--this should save a lot of machines that would otherwise get parted out because of a trashed playfield.

#44 9 years ago

Now we just need good ones for Paragon, Embryon, Flash Gordon, and a few others that always have blown out playfields.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Is Defender a possibility?

I think it might be, will look around.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

To be 'clear', the overlay mist be applied and then a clear coat applied?

There are several different ways to do an overlay and they have their pro's and con's. I think I answered incorrectly on the previous question about the mylar - the mylar is in this case between the ink and the playfield (via adhesive). The advantage with this approach is that you use adhesive backed mylar, and print on the mylar, cut the holes in the mylar, and you also get inserts as they are clear with any lettering, etc. The disadvantage is that you have to clear the playfield - BUT I think it's better to clear a playfield than to have some mylar type material that can get scratched and cloudy, etc.

We are looking at other approaches as well, but that will require some design/testing.

So, YES in what would be available first, the playfield is prepped, the mylar is adhered to the playfield, and the hardcoat is applied.

rick

#47 9 years ago

Any possibility on Taxi? I was told that CPR would not be touching that game again for a very long time.

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

The inserts are clear? Does this mean you would still need insert decals if the inserts are wasted? Or will I need to remove the old ink from the inserts? I have a High Speed in the shop out queue and I'm very interested. I'd be psyched if this happens in the next couple months.

See my other posts, it's confusing as some of the 'older' overlays were on a vinyl/paper, and then the inserts were cut out (as the material is not clear). Part of the advance is the ability to print white, etc, which helps with various options making the 'newer' approach better as the inserts are able to be included, etc.

rick

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

Any possibility on Taxi? I was told that CPR would not be touching that game again for a very long time.

We'll talk with CPR for Taxi and if no re-run planned soon, then yes, as I think we have the artwork for Taxi as well - so long is the inventory of CPR playfields is out and CPR is not intending to run them anytime soon, then we should be doing what we can to offer a solution.

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from WonkoTSane:

Now we just need good ones for Paragon, Embryon, Flash Gordon, and a few others that always have blown out playfields.

Paragon at least we've already sent the films to CPR to run. We have Embryon and Flash Gordon I believe as well ...

Playfields take months to do, Overlays take days ... the approach is to offer the 'best' (playfield vs overlay) balanced against time ... waiting years for something is no fun ...

rick

There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-playfield-overlays-using-original-wms-art-cleared-by-wms-for-pps and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.