(Topic ID: 90903)

ANN: MMR assembly to be done by Stern Pinball for PPS/Chicago Gaming!

By PPS

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0470147040.jpg
IBM_PC_5150-300x216.jpg
Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg
mind-explosion_c_432504.jpg
hDD629F33.jpg
nicethings.jpg
tumblr_m3dioaWAoe1qzyaito1_500.gif
Battle Royale 4.jpg
comic-con-bear-wonder-woman-360x480.jpg
NFBRRiI.gif
spit-take.gif
tumblr_lorp22WZcv1qmjfl3o2_500.gif
pic_006.jpg
images.jpg
image-743.jpg
205347-cebit-brain-powered-pinball.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zitt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#100 9 years ago

Am I the only one that thinks JPP should sign a similar agreement?! since they are still trying to fill the preorders of WOZ this many years later?

#139 9 years ago

Meh. Offtopic:

The issue I have with JJP is the following:

The benefit to taking PreOrders for any game is to PreOrder material for said games prior to building them.
So; lets say they PreOrdered 1000 LEs and 1000 standard WOZ.

Once they took final payment on the preorders; they should have ordered 2000 parts to build 2000 machines. This is where preorders make financial sense. You order 2000 CPU boards because it's cheaper to build/assemble PCBs in volume.

If I were running their MFG line; I would have ordered enough volume of Cabinets, decals, wiring harnesses to keep my production line running.

This BS about them NOT having control over their suppliers concerns me greatly. It reads suspiciously like JJP is "out of money" and is ordering handfuls of parts simply to keep the finances in line. IE a Cash Accural method of accounting. IE using hobbit pre-orders to fund WOZ builds they already spent on R&D. This just seems STUPID to me.

Until JJP can demonstrate *REAL* manufacturing capability in order to keep games shipping on time means they will *NEVER* get my money.

To put this rant back on topic... It seems that Rick @ PPS has learned from that behavior and is attempting to approach the MMr project in the correct way. IE Getting an experienced subcontractor (Stern) to do the MFG line assembly for them. Hopefully that means PPS is priming their line with sufficient qtys of sub assemblies to make the shipment's on time and with some degree of quality. IF this translate to a great experience by the MMR pre-orders... then PPS has a good chance of earning my support and $$$ on some future project... :Cough: AFM :Cough:

#146 9 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I'm a little curious as to how this will affect the profit margin for PPS and the normal production schedule for Stern. Perhaps they won't need to release as many games per year giving them a little more development time.

Proably better for PPS.
Not having to equip a manufacturing line or pay workers benefits directly. All they really have to do is source parts and manage deliveries. I'm guessing it will increase their already massive profit margin by a significant percentage.

Stern probably has some idle time at the moment given the way their games seem to ship in waves. I'm thinking for Stern this is Biz as usual... just means they can hire a handful of more people to help increase their throughput. I don't see Gary/Stern slowing their releases one bit... except to maybe convert to new architectures (read color lcd).

#151 9 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Makes sense. From Rick's other posts I get the impression PPS is more about leveraging the Williams license than it is starting its own pinball factory.

Which IMHO is the right thing to do. Its a surprise to me that PPS is attempting to "bring back" older games and continue to support new mods for these games. I'd have thought that PPS was in it completely for the money... while I'm sure they are; it does at least APPEAR that PPS and the community can work together to improve the availability of the non-licensed themes.

#203 9 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

Betson is upset ...

Of all the comments here... you choose this to try and debunk or explain away? In another vendor's thread?!

Address the real problems... Why the hell can't you get control of your damn manufacturing line?
You may think it makes no difference - but I guarantee you the fact that you can't ramp production puts a lot of question marks on your future financial well being. (IE pre-selling future titles).

All these announcements of pre-funding / 3rd party biz partners and you STILL can't ship machines? Humm...

No - I'm not biased. I have Zero skin in the game. I didn't / won't order WOZ or Hobbit because you have yet to demonstrate you can run a real manufacturing biz.

The verdit is still out on PPS; but at least Rick is making headway. He may have a customer here if he actually ships near his launch date.

#207 9 years ago
Quoted from ktrain315:

I'm curious how they are going to implement this on the factory line. Does Stern already have multiple lines going at once?

From what I've seen in pictures posted to FB by Stern and others who have taken their tour; they have multiple lines.
A line is a serial "conveyor belt"... so they have many people working at the same time on different machines. I don't know how many machines they built at a time... but if the quoted 400/max capacity is to be believed; then yeah... they probably put have capacity for 100 at a time. Ofcourse; in a give 8hr shift that number is smaller.

IDK if it's officially confirmed; but there was a thread here about Stern moving. It could be to get more space for more lines... or could just be that their current digs are just rundown and outdated.

Not a stern fanboy... I only own the STLE... but regardless; PPS made the right move here.

#280 9 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

You built that Star Trek game (which is really cool by the way) so you know how long it takes to get a big project done and how many delays there are along the way, right?

Ummm. Ok. It took me a year and a half to design and build that Star Trek Game.
So why is it taking him so long as a company to build them? Yeah; I had issues and delays... but I made the TPF'14 deadline I committed to. It cost me in $$ and in time... I worked overtime to do it. So he's a COMPANY with employees and he still can't make deadlines or manufacturing goals?

So no; I don't think it's harsh one bit.
If I had preordered it... or hobbit - I'd be mad as hell that he hasn't shipped yet.
He's been in manufacturing for what... a year? and still hasn't filled demand.
Something's off here guys. JJP is picking and choosing his battles which means nothing in the long run if it takes him 6 freaking years to ship preordered games.

So; you guys tell me... has Jack came to a show anywhere (or posted here) and shown a plan for when he will finish shipping WOZ?
If you say no... then that's a real problem. It means one of two things:
1) he doesn't know.
2) he doesn't care.

#302 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

No way. JJP can't supply parts to their own assembly line to keep it moving. Having Stern assemble their games would not help this.

I suspect there are two reasons for this as I've stated before:
1) Jack/JJP is unable to keep the line running due to piss poor management
2) They don't have the cash to prime the line.

I suspect they are living month-2-month... picking and choosing exactly what to buy.
It's just sad really. Cause they have potential... but they don't seem to have the expertise to make it right.

#415 9 years ago

Haters are gonna hate... and the Internet is full of haters ... that simple.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 64.99
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 9.95
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zitt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-mmr-assembly-to-be-done-by-stern-pinball-for-ppschicago-gaming?tu=zitt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.