(Topic ID: 90903)

ANN: MMR assembly to be done by Stern Pinball for PPS/Chicago Gaming!

By PPS

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0470147040.jpg
IBM_PC_5150-300x216.jpg
Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg
mind-explosion_c_432504.jpg
hDD629F33.jpg
nicethings.jpg
tumblr_m3dioaWAoe1qzyaito1_500.gif
Battle Royale 4.jpg
comic-con-bear-wonder-woman-360x480.jpg
NFBRRiI.gif
spit-take.gif
tumblr_lorp22WZcv1qmjfl3o2_500.gif
pic_006.jpg
images.jpg
image-743.jpg
205347-cebit-brain-powered-pinball.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

All WMS OEM / CGC parts so it will have that "WMS feel"... we will try to incorporate "WMS" scent into it, I don't think screwdrivers leave a scent

Have George, Lyman, Steve, etc. roll around on the parts!

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You joke, but I didn't even think about this game being built where Lyman works. That feels right to me!

They've gotta take a pic of Lyman & the ex-Williams guys playing the new MMr at the Stern factory!

#125 9 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

No, not every. How about just your top 3. Top three worst things Stern has done build quality wise and why this is a horrible idea. Seriously, I want to know.

I've had probs with Stern games too...it's pinball, it happens....but from experience, I think most people's problems with Stern games are design derived, not usually the fault of the people assembling. PPS/CGC will be providing the already designed & created MM parts...most of which are the original WMS MM standard parts. We already know their fit and function is good. Stern's factory is merely assembling.

#138 9 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

Just as a fast build does not equal great, my XM LE could attest to that (wherever it is!).

That's due to design/engineering problems...not the fault of the people assembling. We already know that MM is designed well.

#253 9 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

Tony is right on this one.

Yesterday Tony said Iron Man (one of the most cost-cut Sterns ever) was superior to WOZ. He also constantly pimps AC/DC BIB LE. So, clearly collectors are OK with what comes out of the Stern factory.

Quoted from rommy:

I was the first MMr order at Expo. At no time did it occur to me I would be purchasing another Stern. I have a limit on how many NIB Stern pins I buy every year .
It's still great news for me as a buyer. And now we know we will have Stern AFM , Stern MB , etc .

I'm not sure if you're being facetious or willfully ignorant or just trolling. Stern's not designing these games. Stern's not creating the parts. Stern has literally ZERO to do with the creation of these games. They were all created by Williams ~20 years ago. We know the designs. Williams. We know the parts. Williams. Chicago Gaming has redesigned the electronics. Stern is literally just assembling, because they have factory full of trained pinball builders who know how to assemble a pinball machine. If CGC did it in their own building & contracted the Stern employees to come over there and build the games, would it be a Stern game? lol

#258 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

In most cases the clone/repo of the original ends up being worth less, this is true with most items Cars, Guns, ect
Will it hold true for pinball?? time will tell...
PS.Talking apples to apples here... not comparing a clapped out routed MM to a new MMr...
Comparing a nice example of an original MM vs MMr

The only thing worth nothing about MMr's price/value is that before MMr, a NIB MM (if ever located) would be like $30k. Now it's $8k. That's the only price context that matters with this game at this time.

#333 9 years ago
Quoted from vex:

i can see a time very soon where 8k pins will be really difficult for the manufacturers to sell, regardless on the title. either the builders adjust prices lower to sell more units or have very shallow sales in the future. mustang le might just be the canary in the coal mine...
nothing wrong with companies making as much money as possible but sustainability going forward on the 8k gravy train might be a short lived phenomena.

True....but I think the theme/game has a lot to do with it as well. Mustang is a triple whammy.

-It's a very specific theme without broad appeal.
-There are ZERO playfield toys or cool mechanical features, even on the Prem/LE (spinning car doesn't count...who cares lol)
-The art is pretty terrible, and gets worse with each pricier version

Part of it is market psychology ...people were buying LE games sight unseen after BBB, Tron LE, and AC/DC BIBLE shot up in crazy value....but part of it was actual "cool" themes that people really loved - and cool games with cool features as well. Now that its less likely that a game is going to shoot up in value, you've lost your speculation buyers. A game is going to have to be reallllly f*cking special for people to drop big money on it now. Good game + good theme + good code....that's a whole other story that still refuses to go away. Too many games still need updates, and each time a game comes out with a queue of code-thirsty games behind it....more people will sit on their wallets.

#339 9 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I wouldn't know, I hate comic books and sci-fi so just about every late Stern game minus a couple were themes I couldn't stand.
I liked Mustang a LOT more than I thought I would, and I am not a car guy at all.

Put your own bias aside...objectively, you have to realize that comic books/comic book character movies & sci-fi are hugely popular & appeal to both genders, all ages, and people worldwide. The hardcore fans of the genre spends TONS of money on trinkets and memorabilia.

Mustang appeals to men who are really into a specific car. That's it.

Also, liking a game is different than spending thousands on one for home or location. I'm sure I'd like Mustang if I played it...I'd never buy one, though.

#345 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

no, he's right. i know the older dudebros here probably think it's all "zit-ridden boys in their parents basements" or whatever but that's as outdated an outlook as saying "only nerds use the internet".

Exactly. The box office of the Marvel movies especially shows female interest. Boys, girls, men, women are all into the big super hero movies.

Women love Spider-Man (hot dude in spandex, romance)

They love The Avengers (hot funny dudes saving the world)

They love X-Men....chicks dig Hugh Jackman & Michael Fassbender

Women even love the new Star Trek movies...ever hear chicks talk about Cumberbatch!?

#349 9 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

Wait, let me expand on my by first reitterating that I am not the "normal female" and do not want to be or claim to be. Things are certainly more progressive these days with lots of campaigns for women to be able to be as geeky as they want, play with "boys toys," etc, and I'm thankful for that. I am a geek/nerd mostly by exposure from my husband and know of the movies/comics/etc because of that, and have no problem at all being a nerd/geek. My phone case is R2D2, and I paid extra for the R2D2 version phone the time before last. My whole house is a ThinkGeek catalog explosion. I love playing our spiderman pin and went with husband to see the lastest spiderman movie.
But with that being said, wouldn't on my own have purposely hunted down a full-price spiderman pin or paid to go see the movie if it was just me. I will gladly play pretty much any pin, superhero or no, but I don't want to spend lots of money to own them. Female or not, the superhero stuff is getting old. There can only be so many remakes and prequels and sequels and redos and character spin-offs before it all just runs together into one big burnt-out mess.
(Also, I don't think any of them are hot, and from that list the only one I can stand is Iron Man because he's smartass Robert Downey. If I want a pin because I want to look at the guy, then someone please make me a 300 pin. I can't tell you anything that happened in that movie, but I know there were lots of sweaty muscles.)

Again, personal biases aside - Superhero/comic book based movies have proven themselves to appeal to all ages/genders/nationalities...it's just a fact. Therefore it's a safe assumption that a pinball machine based on something that appeals to "everyone" has a bigger chance of success than something like Mustang which doesn't.

Also good design/code/sound/art/toys.

#493 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

If PPS remakes BBB there is no freaking way the MARKET on originals is that high.

It's still a numbers game. There are what, ~10 BBB originals out there? All it takes is a handful of people who want an original and one of the owners to buckle on a sweet offer. The sweet offers will probably be lower and/or dry up somewhat...but all it takes is 1 buyer and 1 seller in the "Rare Games Collection" world.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 9.95
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 64.99
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-mmr-assembly-to-be-done-by-stern-pinball-for-ppschicago-gaming?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.