(Topic ID: 90903)

ANN: MMR assembly to be done by Stern Pinball for PPS/Chicago Gaming!

By PPS

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0470147040.jpg
IBM_PC_5150-300x216.jpg
Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg
mind-explosion_c_432504.jpg
hDD629F33.jpg
nicethings.jpg
tumblr_m3dioaWAoe1qzyaito1_500.gif
Battle Royale 4.jpg
comic-con-bear-wonder-woman-360x480.jpg
NFBRRiI.gif
spit-take.gif
tumblr_lorp22WZcv1qmjfl3o2_500.gif
pic_006.jpg
images.jpg
image-743.jpg
205347-cebit-brain-powered-pinball.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mechslave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#65 9 years ago

I think the real winners may be the original MM owners, actually.

But yeah, this was sort of inevitable, I suppose. I don't mean to bust up the Love Fest, but did the people who pre-ordered MMR's all those months ago have "Built by Stern" in mind when they put down their money?

Anyway, more pinball machines built is good for everyone, so hopefully this all goes well and everyone is happy!

#91 9 years ago

LOL @ the thumbs-downers! Sorry, I should've just showered unconditional praise and glory and called this "Epic" then I could be one of the Good Guys and get all the Thumbs Ups! How dare anyone actually say what they're thinking!

Been too busy for Pinside in the past few months, but good to see the gang mentality hasn't changed!

#102 9 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

You are getting thumbs down because what you said was dumb, not because it was negative toward the project. You seem to feel that "built by Stern" is a bad thing, but don't say exactly why.
Tell me, why is it bad that it's being built by Stern? Is it because every NIB game they ship isn't 100% perfect? Is it because they don't stand by their products? What?
Stern is doing nothing but putting it together. Maybe you have issues with the quality of Sterns parts, or art, or cabs etc, but none of that matters here.

It's because I've had (and continue to find) assembly and manufacturing problems with Sterns, and I've been unboxing them for many years. My point was simply that I doubted many of the people pre-ordering MMR's all those months ago envisioned Stern building them. It's actually just more of a statement. I think pre-orderers liked the idea of a new company, new machines, new manufacturing process... maybe even slower with a little more care involved.

But yes, I do understand completely. I can see through Pinside opinions like Invisiglass. I'm getting Thumbs Down from people who have MMR's on order. That's Pinside. Owners protect their investments with their opinions and Thumb-Ups and Thumb-Downs, desperately hoping reality won't factor in.

The reality is that owners of original MM's are having a GREAT day and are walking around with a little more of a hop in their step!

#112 9 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Hey, if it makes you feel better to think that MMR buyers are sad and all original MM buyers are happier today than more power to you. As long as your happy, that's great.
That seems a lot more important to you than actual facts. I'm sorry you've had "(and continue to find) assembly and manufacturing problems with Sterns, and I've been unboxing them for many years." Whatever that means, I'm not sure. Stern can't be THAT bad, you keep buying them
Next time, when you shit on a thread, at least have some facts or personal experience or something. Stern sucks, booooooo. But don't tell us why or anything, just threadcrap.

Ugh! Really? I should go through and list every assembly and QC problem I've ever had with Stern machines? This is the place for that, you think?

Obviously they tried to avoid using Stern, but had no other feasible choice at the moment. That's fine, but like I said, I don't think most people who pre-ordered their MMR's hoped they'd be built by Stern, regardless of what they're saying now.

Originally, everyone sort of thought MMR's would be assembled slowly by a small group in a new large warehouse, a new way of manufacturing, maybe a little more care involved, since it was a new pinball company after all. Premium manufacturing on a small scale. I found that idea exciting, actually. Something about Stern building Medieval Madness just seems wrong, but like I said in my first post: more pinball machines being built is always good, and I hope everyone who pays for one gets exactly what they want and are overjoyed!

#114 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

pretty cool that you claim to speak for MMR buyers, and then in the next sentence whine that all the thumbs down you're getting are from MMR buyers.

Original pre-orderers are not necessarily the pre-orderers now. That was sort of the whole point of the statement, actually. LOL

#118 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I don't have MMr on order, and don't plan to ever do so, I just thumbs downed you because your post was dumb and FUDish. But keep pretending you were being really wise and it's just petty jealousy keeping people from seeing your wisdom.
Tell me, who would have been better to build it than Stern? Since you think it's a bad move explain the better one.

What are you even talking about? LOL It was an observation!!

So basically, since you're saying it was so "dumb and FUDish" an opinion, that all the original pre-orders from Expo not only hoped that Stern would be building MMR but that they fully expected Stern to build them? Funny, because I don't remember anyone hoping for that or even thinking it was a viable option back then!!

#122 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

i am. it's kind of annoying to be told what i supposedly really think.

Ok, so you obviously assumed that Stern would be building them when you pre-ordered?

#130 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

your point wasn't that nobody expected it, it was that people were mad about it, which doesn't seem to be the case. so far, the only person that seems upset that Stern is assembling MMR is you.

Not upset at all, actually, and nowhere did I say I was. I just didn't jump for joy and call it EPIC!!! EPIC!!! So that essentially equates to pure and unadulterated hatred of Stern, right? LOL

#133 9 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

No, not every. How about just your top 3. Top three worst things Stern has done build quality wise and why this is a horrible idea. Seriously, I want to know.

I never said it was a horrible idea. Never. I don't see the point of going through and listing all the problems I've had with Stern's QC over the years, especially to someone who has a baited agenda and cannot read and comprehend all that well.

I only said something about it just seems 'wrong.' But even that I say tongue-in-cheek. Ironic would also apply. Epic would not, and that's just my opinion.

#134 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Many people did consider it a possibility.

Actually, I think more people believed JJP would be building them than Stern. But again, most did not think this.

Quoted from Aurich:

JJP called, they want their stupid way of building machines back.

Slower does not equal stupid. The build of WOZ is all I have to go by, but it's a rock solid aircraft-quality build compared to some Stern stuff I've received. Just as a fast build does not equal great, my XM LE could attest to that (wherever it is!).

#136 9 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

I don't believe everyone had hoped MMr's would be built by a boutique group in a small building somewhere handcrafted slowly and aged to perfection.

LOL I wanted my playfield cured and aged in oak barrels in the mountains of Tennessee!

But yes, actually. Stern is all about getting the product out as quick as possible, ready or not, problems or not, software or not, QC or not, get them out and sell them! That's just their reputation. I do understand not all of those will apply because the parts, design and software are done. But instead of "EPIC!!!" my reaction is more like a shoulder shrug "Guess that's really the only option." And obviously it is, right now.

#173 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

WOZ has just as many issues, you just don't hear about it because the owners hide them all in the JJP forums which are private, because they're afraid of getting mocked and abused here. Which is lame on both sides frankly.
Repeated LED board breakings, power supply issues, clear coat chipping, pop bumpers creating metal shards that wear the playfield to the bare wood if you don't deal with it, monkey magnets, castle ball guides, slippers falling off, blah blah.
It's pinball, shit happens. I'm not dumping on WOZ, I'm simply saying that things aren't perfect. There's no magic in the JJP factory. Just like they weren't perfect on the original WMS built MM. If you're not willing to fix and adjust some things out of the box then don't buy NIB, get a dialed in HUO machine where someone else did it for you.
You know what WOZ has over most Sterns? Higher BOM. It's the parts that determine a good portion of the quality, not who put them together. Rick is still in charge of that part.

Pinball machines are never perfect, sure. I can only speak from experience. My WOZ has been perfect, no issues at all, and simply feels more solidly built out of the box than any of the Sterns. Again, not talking board design or things like that, simply build/assembly quality. The stuff I saw on my XM LE left a bitter taste, seeing the way it was butchered in assembly and sent out non-functional after they basically drilled so many holes in Wolverine they had to leave it askew and inoperable. Yes, partly a crap design, but also shoddy assembly and a "throw up my hands cause I give up" before they boxed it up the way it was. Back to my original post, I was sort of hoping MMR would not be built by the workers who made my Wolverine look like he got shot with an Uzi. That is all. I know, I know..."Epic" was the only appropriate response to this thread.

#179 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That's a design problem, not a factory problem. The Wolverine design was stupid. Stern's fault. MMr isn't being designed by the same people who did X-Men. Frankly very little from a factory standpoint is even new, just the boards and the way it's wired, but the actual physical build playfield stuff is old hat.

I acknowledged the design problem, but hey, I fixed it and made it work. And I'm buying it, not making a career of assembling them. It was crap assembly and QC in addition to crap design. And yes, I fully acknowledge all pinball manufacturers will always box up problematic machines.

This still feels very "Wndows on a Mac" though, and like I said, I guess I'm just disappointed the world doesn't have one more pinball manufacturer than it did yesterday. But hey, good for Stern and good for anxious buyers who will get their machines soon.

#180 9 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Oh shit... Another my WOZ is perfect and your Stern stuff is shit comment .. Whatever !

That's not what I said.

#370 9 years ago
Quoted from juanton:

Is Stern the manufacturer or just the "assembler"?

Since everyone is pointing out that Stern is merely the "assembler," what items would Stern actually manufacture in their factory on their own machines, apart from wiring harnesses? I'm assuming most everything else is made by separate vendors and delivered for assembly, much in the way that MMR's parts will be.

#373 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Stern designs their own games, designs and/or sources the parts for their games, assembles their games. Big difference from MMR which they did not design, or create/source parts for.

Really? They design their games?

And you mean to tell me that Stern didn't design MM or MMR? *Mind blown* Are you sure??

Sorry, just messing with you, but your post answers absolutely nothing about what I asked.

Again, I'm simply asking for clarification as to what exactly does Stern manufacture in their factory for their pinball machines, since it appears most everything besides their harnesses are made off-site by vendors and delivered for assembly.

Will Stern make MMR's wiring harnesses, as it appears they have skilled harness makers and are setup to make those as cost effectively as anywhere else?

This thread actually morphed into something interesting when we attempt to define and differentiate 'assemble' and 'manufacture,' as they relate to modern pinball machines.

#397 9 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I have no idea as to exactly what Stern manufactures.

Thanks! Then you can't answer my question.

Quoted from calvin12:

Umm, stern, for their games, designs them, makes the assemblies, builds the harnesses, sources the parts and suppliers for the subassemblies and the stuff put together in house.

They design them? Really? LOL And you're also going to inform us that they make their own harnesses when I stated that within in the question.

"Makes" the assemblies. They actually manufacture the assemblies themselves? They aren't done by an outside vendor?

I'm honestly just curious. So many have corrected others in this thread "No, no. Stern is not manufacturing MMR, only assembling it." Once a game is designed and the parts are all sent off for manufacture off-site, it appears that Stern simply assembles their own machines. So just wondering why everyone drew such a fine line between "manufacture" and "assemble" with regard to MMR.

And PLEASE for the love of Harry Williams, no more "Ummmm you do know that Stern did not design MM, right?" Or "Stern actually designs their machines" "Stern designs their parts" and all these other nuggets of wisdom which are already obviously known and have nothing to do with the question. I can see a few people are taking offense to the question. LOL It's just a question, and I'm just curious if anything for their machines other than the harnesses are actually manufactured in Stern's factory.

The other question was whether or not Stern would be making the MMR harnesses? Seems like a good idea if they're doing the assembly, it won't be much different than running one of their own games, if at all.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 64.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 9.95
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mechslave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-mmr-assembly-to-be-done-by-stern-pinball-for-ppschicago-gaming?tu=mechslave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.