(Topic ID: 90903)

ANN: MMR assembly to be done by Stern Pinball for PPS/Chicago Gaming!

By PPS

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0470147040.jpg
IBM_PC_5150-300x216.jpg
Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg
mind-explosion_c_432504.jpg
hDD629F33.jpg
nicethings.jpg
tumblr_m3dioaWAoe1qzyaito1_500.gif
Battle Royale 4.jpg
comic-con-bear-wonder-woman-360x480.jpg
NFBRRiI.gif
spit-take.gif
tumblr_lorp22WZcv1qmjfl3o2_500.gif
pic_006.jpg
images.jpg
image-743.jpg
205347-cebit-brain-powered-pinball.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lowepg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#198 9 years ago
Quoted from Cobray:

This is pretty interesting to me, only because I really thought that the remakes were taking money away from the limited amount of funds available by customers to buy NIB pinball machines, and in fact are direct competition to Stern. ..

Silly.... do you really think a few "Pinball Novices" like Stern know as much about the industry as the self-appointed pinball market experts on pinside?

Duh....

Guess Gary should stop goofing off and, you know, building & shipping pinball machines and lurk here in the forums like the other gurus do.....

#239 9 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

If this differentiates even further the original from the Stern product, because it will definitely be a Stern product .

lol. Bonehead post of the day award nominee....

So you'd be happier if they built a factory from the ground up, hired some novices and had them "learn on the job" how to assemble a pinball machine?

Super idea..... Then, 3 years from now you'd be seeing promises about how they are HOPING to ship out more than 10machines a week-"ISH" to fill orders.... Though, you might actually prefer that model.... That would prop up the value of your AFM and MB a tiny bit longer....

Sent from my Foxconn IPhone.... Er...... Wait....

#243 9 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

now we know we will have Stern AFM , Stern MB , etc .

Well, at least you are honest with your real concern: how quickly this will depreciate your Older generation AFM and MB.....

The fact that they have partnered with stern for assembly has to have some folks in a panic. A-listers may have thought that it would be year(s) to fill MMr orders before they had to worry about another remake.

Now, with this production model, new titles could hit the market dramatically faster!

This makes it far more interesting to me. The prospect of waiting years to see a machine delivered doesn't work for me or my lack of patience- THIS makes it less boutique and more mainstream. Great news!

#298 9 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

I'm more interested in the jjp Predator. Jack stated in the owners group that if Kevin asked he would be willing to help them.

Did you leave off a smiley when you posted that?

If anyone should be helping anyone:

Jack should swallow his pride and beg Stern to help get JJP pins out the door. Clearly, they excel at the dreamwork and designwork, NOT the production side of pinball.

Stern can built/ship as many machines in ONE month as JJP has stumbled through YEARS trying to get out the door. The WoZ backlog could be cranked out in about ONE WEEK (no -ish)....

Obviously this would never happen give the EGO involved, but it sure would leverage the skillset of both companies...

#315 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

JJP started from nothing (no parts, no vendors, no platform) .

You're slipping.... you forgot to mention "wide-body" in the soliloquy

#329 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I seriously doubt that if a title like MB is remade that it will sell for less than $8k. If pins like WOZ and STLE sell for close to that mark, as did MMr, I see no reason that MBr would sell for less.

I agree.

Obviously PPS was sailing into uncharted waters with MMr. Given the speed at which it sold out, it's certainly possible the "market price" for this was > $8k!

If MMr turns out as good as it looks, you may also then add on top of that "market price" a potential premium for the PPS "updates" .... Or in other words, the value delta between the old WMS machines and the NIB remakes may shrink to zero, or even reverse....

#343 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

...objectively, you have to realize that comic books/comic book character movies & sci-fi are hugely popular & appeal to both genders

spit-take.gifspit-take.gif

NFBRRiI.gifNFBRRiI.gif
tumblr_lorp22WZcv1qmjfl3o2_500.giftumblr_lorp22WZcv1qmjfl3o2_500.gif

#347 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Exactly. The box office of the Marvel movies especially shows female interest.

ok... maybe you're right....

comic-con-bear-wonder-woman-360x480.jpgcomic-con-bear-wonder-woman-360x480.jpg

#351 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Again, personal biases aside - Superhero/comic book based movies have proven themselves to appeal to all ages/genders/nationalities...it's just a fact. Therefore it's a safe assumption that a pinball machine based on something that appeals to "everyone" has a bigger chance of success than something like Mustang which doesn't.
Also good design/code/sound/art/toys.

Well, thats a pretty broad claim....

I disagree that men and women are equally enamored with Superheros/comics books.... They CERTAINLY do not see the movies proportionally..... so, I'm not sure of your FACTS, but I'm open to see them if you have something to share along those lines.

What's pretty clear is that women prefer to see other woman as strong lead characters.... not men- even if they are dressed in skintight costumes.

Case in point:
Women make up the majority of movie ticket buyers, but were a distinct minority of those that went to see movies like IronMan, Man of Steel, etc. However, they retook the majority to see movies like Catching Fire.

So maybe the solution is some female superheros not just damsels in distress...

I absolutely agree with your point that superheros/comics/etc have a WAY broader audience than Mustang.... even just among the male demographic.

#365 9 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Reading this (having been a pinball owner since ~2002) , I am reminded of one of the few pinball constants I can think of since then.
2 Flippers at the bottom, and Lloyd the Great helping fix games to "strangers" on the internet on his own free time.

Yup... he's like the "pinball whisperer"

I poorly described 2 issues i had with a pin that was exhibiting issues after a cross-country delivery. About 20 people offered up suggestions- LTG was spot-on, both times....

#383 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Are you for real dude? The base issue with the hunger games is that it is about children killing children. Not "powerful female characters".

Wait, are YOU for real?

Do you really think the draw and main story line for HG is killing kids? Sigh... yeah- that MUST be why its so popular. lol.....

But even if your complete misunderstanding of the book is correct, it surely isn't the only time kids are killed in popular literature....

To stay consistent, I can only assume you equally are shocked by:
Game of Thrones ("children" killed, raped, maimed)
X-men ("children" the objects of mutation and killing/being killed)
Harry Potter (nearly every character is a kid, and is busy killing and/or being killed)

Lord of the Flies- equally abhorrent, no doubt.... no redeeming message other than "killing kids."

#385 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Screw Hunger Games, the original Battle Royale that HG is stolen from is much superior:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266308/

lol- great movie.... now THOSE were some crazy chicks... here's one of my favorites... she also went on to play on strangely hot character (yes- legal, 19yrs old) in Kill Bill.

Battle Royale 4.jpgBattle Royale 4.jpgtumblr_m3dioaWAoe1qzyaito1_500.giftumblr_m3dioaWAoe1qzyaito1_500.gif

#402 9 years ago

8 page summary:
This is good news.

Congrats!

#411 9 years ago
Quoted from NM:

Guessing the trouble-shooting/warranty on these will be through 1-800-KICKERS?

hDD629F33.jpghDD629F33.jpg

#425 9 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

Dude, it's like anything collectible. Eventually there are collectors who prefer the original. Look at , well, Shelby Mustang for instance. Or Arcades. There are guys who prefer the original Defender cab to any sort of "multi game" new fangled things. Originals > Remakes - usually. BBB is a good example. BBB by Capcom > BBB by IP > BBB by PPS made by Stern. On the other hand I LOVE the idea of getting a new MM . I just don't think long term it will fetch the same $$ as a WMS MM .

But you're assuming all buyers are "collectors" or preoccupied with "collectibility." It doesnt seem like the MMr is all that apealing for folks that are trying to build some exclusive "collection."

Seems pretty simple:
MMr is catering to the folks that are PLAYERS first, collectors second. I suspect they are making their buying decision based on a couple simple criteria:
1. Will it play like the original
2. Is it built as well (and/or better) than the original
3. Is it worth the asking price...TODAY.

Future resale price is likely far down the list of worries. Similar to someone who buys a premium (vs LE) NIB Stern or WoZ....

#520 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

If anyone wants to bet that MMR will be 100% flawless

Please reference all the people who are claiming MMr to be 100% flawless?

I think the fact that MMr has built in redundancies and extra adjust-ability SHOWS they understand these things are prone to fail on occasion and are doing their best to "plan ahead."

Quoted from Whysnow:

My entire point is that I will always prefer the known (easy to fix and parts readily available) compared to the unknown

The absence of "100% flawless perfection" should not be the litmus test for progress...

Or, are you stuck in 1997 with ALL your purchases? Surely you are still using:

VHS player (those dvd players use LASERS!??!?!!?!? - That CANT be safe!!!!!)
big old tube television set (those new-fanged flat things are scary and NON-REPAIRABLE)
Sexy 1997 car of the year, the Chevy Malibu

I'll wait for your response (since it probably take a while to upload it via your 14.4k modem)...

IBM_PC_5150-300x216.jpgIBM_PC_5150-300x216.jpg

#524 9 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

I could be wrong,

Here's the part I agree with

#535 9 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

Why wasn't the game just moved to another electrical outlet, did the presenters not bring a longer extension cord to plug it into another outlet/circuit?

0470147040.jpg0470147040.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 64.99
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lowepg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-mmr-assembly-to-be-done-by-stern-pinball-for-ppschicago-gaming?tu=lowepg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.