(Topic ID: 90903)

ANN: MMR assembly to be done by Stern Pinball for PPS/Chicago Gaming!

By PPS

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0470147040.jpg
IBM_PC_5150-300x216.jpg
Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg
mind-explosion_c_432504.jpg
hDD629F33.jpg
nicethings.jpg
tumblr_m3dioaWAoe1qzyaito1_500.gif
Battle Royale 4.jpg
comic-con-bear-wonder-woman-360x480.jpg
NFBRRiI.gif
spit-take.gif
tumblr_lorp22WZcv1qmjfl3o2_500.gif
pic_006.jpg
images.jpg
image-743.jpg
205347-cebit-brain-powered-pinball.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bc_gambit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#196 9 years ago

Looks like additional money may be due sooner than even us optimists expected.

Knowing the overall build quality, we know pretty much what to expect for better or worse. Short of there being a catastrophic electronics defect, or other similar bugaboo popping up, it seems like MMR will be the game of 2014.

If 10 Hobbits ship to showrooms this year in late December to say "hey its released" that does not count...

#235 9 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

Now it's just another Stern.
So my issue becomes $8k for a Stern Pro.

Yeah, MMRLE is just another Stern Pro:
- built with Williams parts
- that comes with a built in shaker
- that has 3-4 trim choices at this point
- has invisiglass (or similar) as an option
- has Williams style slide rails rather than the crappy Stern system
- no playfield pegs!
- number of playfield toys sure is compareable to current Stern pro's (if you drink enough beforehand that you have trouble counting in the single digits...)
- advanced settings availble in menu to control things such as LED lighting.

Plus a bunch of stuff I am sure I am forgetting.

So yeah, aside from all these differences it is exactly the same as a Stern Pro. At least I think I read the silliest thing I will read today already...

#237 9 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

I was the first MMr order at Expo. At no time did it occur to me I would be purchasing another Stern. I have a limit on how many NIB Stern pins I buy every year .
It's still great news for me as a buyer. And now we know we will have Stern AFM , Stern MB , etc . There is no more question mark about the manufacturing - we know what we will get. If there is going to be zero collectibility factor though it changes things for me. I like original and rare so it might be better , for me, to go original. It's food for thought here in Arkansas

That is fair

I admit I was hoping for some magical as yet unseen level of build quality (built like a tank, assembled by Unicorns in the lost Rainbow Valley...).

At the very least compare MMRLE to a SternLE. Lets not be silly about this. And MMRLE will ship with mostly complete code, so it even wins that fight (I say mostly due to colorization being a to be added feature...).

Oh yeah, that was one of the other things I forgot...

It is a Stern Pro that ships with something comparable to a Color DMD. Yeah. Cause Stern pro's all ship with those.

#359 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Ummmmmmmmmmm..............................ME.
LTG : )™

Reading this (having been a pinball owner since ~2002) , I am reminded of one of the few pinball constants I can think of since then.

2 Flippers at the bottom, and Lloyd the Great helping fix games to "strangers" on the internet on his own free time.

#380 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

As many as I find amusing. In fact, I might replay a few modes intentionally just to piss off some butthurt crybaby.

How did this thread go from who is assembling a pinball to killing virtual children to put a smile on your face?

#423 9 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

Dude, it's like anything collectible. Eventually there are collectors who prefer the original. Look at , well, Shelby Mustang for instance. Or Arcades. There are guys who prefer the original Defender cab to any sort of "multi game" new fangled things. Originals > Remakes - usually. BBB is a good example. BBB by Capcom > BBB by IP > BBB by PPS made by Stern. On the other hand I LOVE the idea of getting a new MM . I just don't think long term it will fetch the same $$ as a WMS MM . All just my opinion of course for the sensitive pinheads.

Pinball has been its own little beast in that regards for many years.

A true "original" HOU MM is a rare beast.

An "orginal" MM with a replaced playfield, ramps, backlight tub, translight, cab decals etc, etc... is not that original any more. But this "not original" was preferred to an original routed game with usual wear and tear. This preference was shown in the higher prices these sold for, and in the active restoration business itself.

Given that pinball games have a cannon ball rocketing around the playfield at what appears to be a high velocity and they are meant to be played this way makes me think comparisions to many other "put it away sealed in the package" sort of hobbies is off.

#481 9 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

I think MM will be the poors' man MMR real soon.

This is the truth; barring unexpected electronics issue(s) (a la WoZ) where is the downside of MMR vs MM?

- 15+ years newer, has not been routed for tens of thousands of plays
- better sound
- easier to adjust lighting options, no need to worry about having to change bulbs "ever"
- its comes as a LE (if that somehow matters...)

Possible:
- better shaker support
- colorized display
- improved clearcoat?

I know I am missing some other stuff... but to me these are the big things that would matter in my purchase decision.

Where is the downside of MMR vs MM that would make it less functional than a comparable MM, assuming the game performs as expected.

#483 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

There is the problem, you are assuming...
All evidence would say that MMR WILL have issues. This is especially true since it is a completely new and untested board set of surface mount parts that has been poorly engineered to be under the pf where ti will get dirtier and experience more stress/vibration.
B/W games had issues, Stern games obviously have issues (heck, we have had to repair the trough opto boards twice already on a bradn new STpro), WOZ has had issues, every game maker has issues.
I will take original with known issues that I can easily work on (not surface mount and I own other games that I can swap parts with to troubleshoot) plus the harder pfs (mirco stuff seems much softer to me than the old wood in old games) with better colors over the unknown and new of MMR. When (not if) MMR has its first issue watch and see what happens. You will surely have 1000 MMR owners trying to protect their overpriced "investment" just like happens with every new SternLE that comes out the door. Reality will set in after games are delivered and issues arise.
If by some miricale MMR has no issues EVER, then it could possibly suplant the demand of originals, but evidence of the past woudl suggest that wont happen.

It sounds like we are in agreement. We'll see how MMR continues to publicly perform.

Unlike WoZ's rollout where the games kept breaking, MMR's biggest complaint was weaker flippers due to low line voltage at pinball show. And this appears to have been addressed.

Also, I trust Rick to get this right based upon his communications so far. Please let me know if Gary or Jack has publicly posted a hotline for people to bitch (I mean discuss) about stuff.

If he gets it wrong he might have to change his phone number

#487 9 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

That is a great point, has there been any talk of the games being brought to any more shows or was PAGG the last chance before they go into production?

I thought it was going to be at the tacoma show in about two weeks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 64.99
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bc_gambit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-mmr-assembly-to-be-done-by-stern-pinball-for-ppschicago-gaming?tu=bc_gambit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.