(Topic ID: 90903)

ANN: MMR assembly to be done by Stern Pinball for PPS/Chicago Gaming!

By PPS

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 539 posts
  • 164 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Bigboythursday
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 23 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

0470147040.jpg
IBM_PC_5150-300x216.jpg
Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg
mind-explosion_c_432504.jpg
hDD629F33.jpg
nicethings.jpg
tumblr_m3dioaWAoe1qzyaito1_500.gif
Battle Royale 4.jpg
comic-con-bear-wonder-woman-360x480.jpg
NFBRRiI.gif
spit-take.gif
tumblr_lorp22WZcv1qmjfl3o2_500.gif
pic_006.jpg
images.jpg
image-743.jpg
205347-cebit-brain-powered-pinball.jpg

There are 539 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 11.
#351 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Again, personal biases aside - Superhero/comic book based movies have proven themselves to appeal to all ages/genders/nationalities...it's just a fact. Therefore it's a safe assumption that a pinball machine based on something that appeals to "everyone" has a bigger chance of success than something like Mustang which doesn't.
Also good design/code/sound/art/toys.

Well, thats a pretty broad claim....

I disagree that men and women are equally enamored with Superheros/comics books.... They CERTAINLY do not see the movies proportionally..... so, I'm not sure of your FACTS, but I'm open to see them if you have something to share along those lines.

What's pretty clear is that women prefer to see other woman as strong lead characters.... not men- even if they are dressed in skintight costumes.

Case in point:
Women make up the majority of movie ticket buyers, but were a distinct minority of those that went to see movies like IronMan, Man of Steel, etc. However, they retook the majority to see movies like Catching Fire.

So maybe the solution is some female superheros not just damsels in distress...

I absolutely agree with your point that superheros/comics/etc have a WAY broader audience than Mustang.... even just among the male demographic.

#352 5 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

So maybe the solution is some female superheros not just damsels in distress...

Works for me. I actually think a Hunger Games pin would be great, but watch the reaction you get on Pinside if you bring it up. "OMG TEENAGE GIRLS LOL". I've actually read the books, and aside from featuring a strong female lead, which I guess is threatening or unappealing to some people, they're pretty dark and violent and dystopian. Make the lead a teenage boy and watch the opinions change. Is what it is.

Women in pinball are vehicles for flashing boobs. I know, I did that Helen translite, not trying to preach (and I like boobs), it was a "know your audience" kind of thing.

I go to a lot of pinball parties and events. 97% male. Is that because women aren't interested, generally speaking? Or games aren't being made that appeal to them? I dunno.

I did got to one event that features a lot more older school games, EMs and early SS, and the crowd was almost 50/50 men and women. Was really cool, very different vibe, wish that was more the norm. Pinball could use some diversity if it's to grow and thrive.

#353 5 years ago

What I haven't seen asked here is this, when there is a problem with the game and it is under warranty, who do you call, Stern or PPS? Is Stern the manufacturer or just the "assembler"?

#354 5 years ago

Assembler

#355 5 years ago
Quoted from juanton:

when there is a problem with the game and it is under warranty, who do you call, Stern or PPS?

Ummmmmmmmmmm..............................ME.

LTG : )™

#356 5 years ago

This is very cool news. Something I mentioned way back when Stern was in trouble to diversify and create new revenue streams lowering risk.

During the gold rush the miners weren't the rich ones - the supply stores were. The ones who sold the shovels, axes, and pans. Pinball Life, Marco's, etc. Now add Stern to that smart and shrewd list. Let PPS, Jpop, SkitB, whomever come to Stern and sign a minimum manufacturing run commit and keep the lines rolling. Let the designers slug it out but the assembly lines and Stern always depositing money in the cash register no matter what. Think of the possibilities of what this could open up.

Bravo for all

#357 5 years ago

Seems like a no brainer and have to give Stern a nod in letting PPS utilize their experience to get games pumped out. Seems like a win win win.

#358 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

So that must mean you're working at stern now! SWEET!

#359 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Reading this (having been a pinball owner since ~2002) , I am reminded of one of the few pinball constants I can think of since then.

2 Flippers at the bottom, and Lloyd the Great helping fix games to "strangers" on the internet on his own free time.

#360 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

OK Lloyd.....I'm having a problem with my LAH....when can ya stop over and fix it.

#361 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Pinball could use some diversity if it's to grow and thrive.

and that's what Mustang provides.....to a world wide audience no less.

#362 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I'm having a problem with my LAH.

What's it doing ?

#363 5 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

So that must mean you're working at stern now!

No, PPS.

PPS and CGC are having the games assembled by SPI, then back to CGC for final inspection/quality control and then shipping.

Disclaimer : I think. Main thing is I got to use a lot of company initials in one post.

#364 5 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

So then...made by Stern = good. It takes all the question marks out of the production process for buyers like me. I get that. In some threads though "Made by Stern" is apparently not gonna cut it. It's the CGC PPS MMR made by SPI. How's that?

When the Star Trek:LE cabinet is assembled by Jose at Churchhill.. and the Boards are assembled by Chi in China.. while the speakers are made by Wu in Korea... Do you call it a Stern Churchhill FoxConn StarTrek?

Hate to break it to you.. some of those things you think you are buying online from a company? They are actually being fullfiled by UPS. So much for 'buying from Joes Bits' eh?

Stop trolling.

#365 5 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Reading this (having been a pinball owner since ~2002) , I am reminded of one of the few pinball constants I can think of since then.
2 Flippers at the bottom, and Lloyd the Great helping fix games to "strangers" on the internet on his own free time.

Yup... he's like the "pinball whisperer"

I poorly described 2 issues i had with a pin that was exhibiting issues after a cross-country delivery. About 20 people offered up suggestions- LTG was spot-on, both times....

#366 5 years ago

This is great. Stern will finally be building a machine that I want to buy.

#367 5 years ago
Quoted from juanton:

What I haven't seen asked here is this, when there is a problem with the game and it is under warranty, who do you call, Stern or PPS? Is Stern the manufacturer or just the "assembler"?

Stern is the assembler ... I'm not sure how much more clear we can make this ... you will call MMR support which will route to the right person as well as escalate. Lloyd is one of those people, as is Chicago gaming ... but the support procedures will address all of that ...

rick

#368 5 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Stern is the assembler ... I'm not sure how much more clear we can make this ...

For those people that still don't understand - you may need this number: 1-800-258-5377.

(If you have a hard time with numbers just remember 1-800-CLU-LESS)

#369 5 years ago

Rick, did you also hire alex for customer support?

#370 5 years ago
Quoted from juanton:

Is Stern the manufacturer or just the "assembler"?

Since everyone is pointing out that Stern is merely the "assembler," what items would Stern actually manufacture in their factory on their own machines, apart from wiring harnesses? I'm assuming most everything else is made by separate vendors and delivered for assembly, much in the way that MMR's parts will be.

#371 5 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

juanton said:Is Stern the manufacturer or just the "assembler"?

I certainly didn't mean for this to sound critical, I was just curious as to how support would be handled.

#372 5 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

Since everyone is pointing out that Stern is merely the "assembler," what items would Stern actually manufacture in their factory on their own machines, apart from wiring harnesses? I'm assuming most everything else is made by separate vendors and delivered for assembly, much in the way that MMR's parts will be.

Stern designs their own games, designs and/or sources the parts for their games, assembles their games. Big difference from MMR which they did not design, or create/source parts for.

#373 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Stern designs their own games, designs and/or sources the parts for their games, assembles their games. Big difference from MMR which they did not design, or create/source parts for.

Really? They design their games?

And you mean to tell me that Stern didn't design MM or MMR? *Mind blown* Are you sure??

Sorry, just messing with you, but your post answers absolutely nothing about what I asked.

Again, I'm simply asking for clarification as to what exactly does Stern manufacture in their factory for their pinball machines, since it appears most everything besides their harnesses are made off-site by vendors and delivered for assembly.

Will Stern make MMR's wiring harnesses, as it appears they have skilled harness makers and are setup to make those as cost effectively as anywhere else?

This thread actually morphed into something interesting when we attempt to define and differentiate 'assemble' and 'manufacture,' as they relate to modern pinball machines.

#374 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Works for me. I actually think a Hunger Games pin would be great, but watch the reaction you get on Pinside if you bring it up. "OMG TEENAGE GIRLS LOL". I've actually read the books, and aside from featuring a strong female lead, which I guess is threatening or unappealing to some people, they're pretty dark and violent and dystopian. Make the lead a teenage boy and watch the opinions change. Is what it is.
Women in pinball are vehicles for flashing boobs. I know, I did that Helen translite, not trying to preach (and I like boobs), it was a "know your audience" kind of thing.
I go to a lot of pinball parties and events. 97% male. Is that because women aren't interested, generally speaking? Or games aren't being made that appeal to them? I dunno.

The base issue with the hunger games is that it is about children killing children. Not "powerful female characters". So, in your Hunger Games pin, how many little kids have to die at the hands of other children before you get to the wizard mode? And what happens then? Do the lighted shots stand for eating them at that point? Can't wait to see your alternate translite.

Post edited by TheFamilyArcade: Removed the sarcasm. It wasn't warranted.

#375 5 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

Will Stern make MMR's wiring harnesses, as it appears they have skilled harness makers and are setup to make those as cost effectively as anywhere else?

I think it is safe to say that MMR will have less wire then a Ford Taurus

#376 5 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Are you for real dude? The base issue with the hunger games is that it is about children killing children. Not "powerful female characters". So, in your Hunger Games pin, how many little kids have to die at the hands of other children before you get to the wizard mode? And what happens then? Do the lighted shots stand for eating them at that point? Can't wait to see your alternate translite.

#377 5 years ago

I have no idea as to exactly what Stern manufactures. It doesn't matter. Creating, designing, testing, engineering and whatever else goes into creating a part or mechanism or whatever is what Stern does. Someone else might have the machine that cranks them out based on what Stern creates.

It doesn't mean it's not a Stern part. As others have said, you don't see Foxconn taking credit for the iPhone. Apple did all the R&D, design, aesthetics, engineering, testing etc and had someone else put them together. it's still an Apple iPhone.

Stern takes nothing, and makes it a pinball machine. They have people that supply them with parts that they need per their design and specs.

Quoted from mechslave:

Again, I'm simply asking for clarification as to what exactly does Stern manufacture in their factory for their pinball machines, since it appears most everything besides their harnesses are made off-site by vendors and delivered for assembly.

#378 5 years ago

Are you for real dude? The base issue with the hunger games is that it is about children killing children. Not "powerful female characters".

Have you actually read a Hunger Games theme rumor thread? Plenty of "that's for teenage girls" comments.

Anyways, there's a hell of a lot more to it than children killing children (and frankly the characters are hardly actually children, we sent drummer boys younger than them to die in war in this country). But it's fine if you don't care for it for that reason. If someone were to say bring up Twilight as a theme I'd see the objection, ugh, the message that series sends to girls is disgusting.

If you haven't seen this Buffy vs Twilight mashup it's hilarious, highly recommended:

#379 5 years ago

So, in your Hunger Games pin, how many little kids have to die at the hands of other children before you get to the wizard mode?

As many as I find amusing. In fact, I might replay a few modes intentionally just to piss off some butthurt crybaby.

#380 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

As many as I find amusing. In fact, I might replay a few modes intentionally just to piss off some butthurt crybaby.

How did this thread go from who is assembling a pinball to killing virtual children to put a smile on your face?

#381 5 years ago

Does it really matter how many virtual children get mutted when Jennifer Lawrence is sitting there staring at you?

#382 5 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

How did this thread go from who is assembling a pinball to killing virtual children to put a smile on your face?

Asking the wrong person. =P

#383 5 years ago

Are you for real dude? The base issue with the hunger games is that it is about children killing children. Not "powerful female characters".

Wait, are YOU for real?

Do you really think the draw and main story line for HG is killing kids? Sigh... yeah- that MUST be why its so popular. lol.....

But even if your complete misunderstanding of the book is correct, it surely isn't the only time kids are killed in popular literature....

To stay consistent, I can only assume you equally are shocked by:
Game of Thrones ("children" killed, raped, maimed)
X-men ("children" the objects of mutation and killing/being killed)
Harry Potter (nearly every character is a kid, and is busy killing and/or being killed)

Lord of the Flies- equally abhorrent, no doubt.... no redeeming message other than "killing kids."

#384 5 years ago

Screw Hunger Games, the original Battle Royale that HG is stolen from is much superior:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266308/

#385 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Screw Hunger Games, the original Battle Royale that HG is stolen from is much superior:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266308/

lol- great movie.... now THOSE were some crazy chicks... here's one of my favorites... she also went on to play on strangely hot character (yes- legal, 19yrs old) in Kill Bill.

Battle Royale 4.jpgtumblr_m3dioaWAoe1qzyaito1_500.gif

#386 5 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

nicethings.jpg
#387 5 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

Umm, stern, for their games, designs them, makes the assemblies, builds the harnesses, sources the parts and suppliers for the subassemblies and the stuff put together in house.

#388 5 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Wait, are YOU for real?
Do you really think the draw and main story line for HG is killing kids? Sigh... yeah- that MUST be why its so popular. lol.....
But even if your complete misunderstanding of the book is correct, it surely isn't the only time kids are killed in popular literature....
To stay consistent, I can only assume you equally are shocked by:
Game of Thrones ("children" killed, raped, maimed)
X-men ("children" the objects of mutation and killing/being killed)
Harry Potter (nearly every character is a kid, and is busy killing and/or being killed)
Lord of the Flies- equally abhorrent, no doubt.... no redeeming message other than "killing kids."

Miss the point much?

#389 5 years ago
Quoted from Quiddity:

Does it really matter how many virtual children get mutted when Jennifer Lawrence is sitting there staring at you?

I don't have a problem with the book, movie, sequels, Jennifer Lawrence or powerful women. Wouldn't want the theme as a pinball machine though. Pretty lame idea.

#390 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

That's nice. You go ahead and do that.

#391 5 years ago

That's nice. You go ahead and do that.

I'm also going to timeout the Rescue mode on STTNG tonight during league play and let everyone die.

#392 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Have you actually read a Hunger Games theme rumor thread? Plenty of "that's for teenage girls" comments.
Anyways, there's a hell of a lot more to it than children killing children (and frankly the characters are hardly actually children, we sent drummer boys younger than them to die in war in this country). But it's fine if you don't care for it for that reason. If someone were to say bring up Twilight as a theme I'd see the objection, ugh, the message that series sends to girls is disgusting.
If you haven't seen this Buffy vs Twilight mashup it's hilarious, highly recommended:
» YouTube video

I actually enjoyed the movie and after skimming through the book (my wife read it for content) permitted my daughter to read it. And according to my definition of children, that's who was killing each other in the film. I disagreed with two things in your post, the first that it wouldn't be a good pinball theme because it portrayed "powerful female characters". I may have Mis interpreted what you were getting at? While it's obvious that alot men don't give women the respect they deserve and some of those idiots even post here on Pinside, I just can't imagine pinheads being that narrow minded or caring that much. Then I disagreed that the HG would be a good pinball theme...kids killing kids in a dystopian future. yay. Although a "Little Drummer Boy" pin, based on the little drummers getting wasted during the American Revolution, now you just might got somethin'! that there's US history, so it's ok!

Buffy the Vampire Slayer would actually be pretty decent as a pin. Powerful HOT women are the best of the bunch.

#393 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I'm also going to timeout the Rescue mode on STTNG tonight during league play and let everyone die.

Whatever it takes man.

#394 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

YOU MONSTER.

#395 5 years ago

Sorry for the initial sarcasm.

Back on topic: this is awesome news. If MMr is released this year and the games hold up, then the game has changed big time. No B/W title is safe so A list values go down hard, more beloved pins hit the market, and more activity in the aftermarket than ever before.

#396 5 years ago

Was that done in GLaDOS' voice? If so, thumbs up. Okay, done cracking jokes on here...for now. I've gotta go run my league LOL.

#397 5 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I have no idea as to exactly what Stern manufactures.

Thanks! Then you can't answer my question.

Quoted from calvin12:

Umm, stern, for their games, designs them, makes the assemblies, builds the harnesses, sources the parts and suppliers for the subassemblies and the stuff put together in house.

They design them? Really? LOL And you're also going to inform us that they make their own harnesses when I stated that within in the question.

"Makes" the assemblies. They actually manufacture the assemblies themselves? They aren't done by an outside vendor?

I'm honestly just curious. So many have corrected others in this thread "No, no. Stern is not manufacturing MMR, only assembling it." Once a game is designed and the parts are all sent off for manufacture off-site, it appears that Stern simply assembles their own machines. So just wondering why everyone drew such a fine line between "manufacture" and "assemble" with regard to MMR.

And PLEASE for the love of Harry Williams, no more "Ummmm you do know that Stern did not design MM, right?" Or "Stern actually designs their machines" "Stern designs their parts" and all these other nuggets of wisdom which are already obviously known and have nothing to do with the question. I can see a few people are taking offense to the question. LOL It's just a question, and I'm just curious if anything for their machines other than the harnesses are actually manufactured in Stern's factory.

The other question was whether or not Stern would be making the MMR harnesses? Seems like a good idea if they're doing the assembly, it won't be much different than running one of their own games, if at all.

#398 5 years ago

Personally i really don't care who assembles the this pin..

Maybe they should repo every (Williams / Bally) title that they think they can sell 1000 off ..

There really is not any great movies / titles out there for a new pin

it is great for pinball ...but

#399 5 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

The other question was whether or not Stern would be making the MMR harnesses? Seems like a good idea if they're doing the assembly, it won't be much different than running one of their own games, if at all.

I guess this is a valid question, but honestly, I would hope they would.

Why? Well, personally, any time I have worked on a Stern machine, and needed to remove an assembly (ramps in Monopoly, Avatar, Gimly VUK assembly in LOTR, entire safe assembly in Sopranos, etc...) they have all been both east to remove, and everything has plugs on it so nothing needs to be de-soldered in order to get the assembly out, and it can be removed with basic tools. My shop outs on Stern games have always been easier than Williams stuff because of this.

Granted my Bally and Williams stuff is older, but it's never that easy (to me).

I am wondering if everything on the new MM remake will be easily removable for service or if it would all be soldered direct.

I guess the point is moot to me since I won't be buying one, but might be helpful to those who are.

Chris

#400 5 years ago

Wow. Just wow.

Quoted from mechslave:

They design them? Really? LOL And you're also going to inform us that they make their own harnesses when I stated that within in the question.

"Makes" the assemblies. They actually manufacture the assemblies themselves? They aren't done by an outside vendor?

I'm honestly just curious. So many have corrected others in this thread "No, no. Stern is not manufacturing MMR, only assembling it." Once a game is designed and the parts are all sent off for manufacture off-site, it appears that Stern simply assembles their own machines. So just wondering why everyone drew such a fine line between "manufacture" and "assemble" with regard to MMR.

And PLEASE for the love of Harry Williams, no more "Ummmm you do know that Stern did not design MM, right?" Or "Stern actually designs their machines" "Stern designs their parts" and all these other nuggets of wisdom which are already obviously known and have nothing to do with the question. I can see a few people are taking offense to the question. LOL It's just a question, and I'm just curious if anything for their machines other than the harnesses are actually manufactured in Stern's factory.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
15,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Huntington Beach, CA
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
There are 539 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 11.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside