(Topic ID: 90903)

ANN: MMR assembly to be done by Stern Pinball for PPS/Chicago Gaming!

By PPS

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 539 posts
  • 164 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Bigboythursday
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 23 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

0470147040.jpg
IBM_PC_5150-300x216.jpg
Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg
mind-explosion_c_432504.jpg
hDD629F33.jpg
nicethings.jpg
tumblr_m3dioaWAoe1qzyaito1_500.gif
Battle Royale 4.jpg
comic-con-bear-wonder-woman-360x480.jpg
NFBRRiI.gif
spit-take.gif
tumblr_lorp22WZcv1qmjfl3o2_500.gif
pic_006.jpg
images.jpg
image-743.jpg
205347-cebit-brain-powered-pinball.jpg

There are 539 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 11.
#51 5 years ago

Sounds like a mutually beneficial arrangement for all. It's great for PPS, great for Stern, and great for the hobby!

#52 5 years ago

Solid move Rick, solid move Stern. This decision puts the customer in mind, feed the market its needs...nice

#53 5 years ago

Yep, sounds like a 'win win' situation for most everyone.

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Yep, sounds like a 'win win' situation for most everyone.

Even for JJP since so many of the sales will go through their distribution arm. The faster the games go out, the sooner they get their cut.

#55 5 years ago

Big win all round Congrats Rick

#56 5 years ago

Crazy. I want to see a picture of MM being built in 2014 with WMS parts in the Stern factory

#57 5 years ago

WMS is getting the licensing cash, Stern is assembling, CGC is engineering, JJP is selling it, and PPS is pulling it all together. Is there anyone left in the business NOT making a buck off of MMR?

#58 5 years ago

This is fantastic news for Pinball.

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Is there anyone left in the business NOT making a buck off of MMR?

Me.

LTG : )™
Disclaimer : Tech support isn't a job, it's an adventure.

#60 5 years ago

Great move by PPS and Stern! I guess this answers the question as far as making future PPS titles after MMR. Such an arrangement wouldn't be made for the sake of just one game. Stern's move to a bigger facility makes a lot of sense now as they will be stepping up their manufacturing significantly to accommodate non-Stern titles.

#61 5 years ago

This is a brilliant move for all parties involved. Good job guys

#62 5 years ago

Let me add I love every stern that I own. Stern is on a roll!

#63 5 years ago

What ever it takes to keep the schedule on track. Good call Rick.

#64 5 years ago

Very interesting in a few ways.
Stern feels that the market can support three manufacturers products (strong market) good news for both parties.
Stern will not release a new title till fall (no summer release) so more time for people to tweak up coming and current code.
The bad =Stern demand on current titles low - assuming they would make more on their own products rather than outsourcing.

I for one am happy - Last 6 NIB Sterns have been great.

#65 5 years ago

I think the real winners may be the original MM owners, actually.

But yeah, this was sort of inevitable, I suppose. I don't mean to bust up the Love Fest, but did the people who pre-ordered MMR's all those months ago have "Built by Stern" in mind when they put down their money?

Anyway, more pinball machines built is good for everyone, so hopefully this all goes well and everyone is happy!

#66 5 years ago

Seeing a production version vs solidifying a solid production deal does not suck. It's awesome!

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

But yeah, this was sort of inevitable, I suppose. I don't mean to bust up the Love Fest, but did the people who pre-ordered MMR's all those months ago have "Built by Stern" in mind when they put down their money?

Actually when I put down my 1k deposit with JJP I thought JJp might be building it.

Bigger question is did JJP think he would be selling Stern pinballs again lol.

#68 5 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Very interesting in a few ways.
Stern feels that the market can support three manufacturers products (strong market) good news for both parties.
Stern will not release a new title till fall (no summer release) so more time for people to tweak up coming and current code.
The bad =Stern demand on current titles low - assuming they would make more on their own products rather than outsourcing.
I for one am happy - Last 6 NIB Sterns have been great.

What makes you think Stern won't have a Summer title? They will.

And demand for Star Trek and Metallica is high.

#69 5 years ago

Humm so you think Stern will build and release a summer title as in before end of Aug 2014 - someone mark this thread.
Buildout Mustang - Build MMR - Build new title....they must be wearing a Superman cape...

#70 5 years ago

This is a triple win!

Quoted from HOOKED:

they must be wearing a Superman cape...

and Superman is Sterns next pin.

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

What makes you think Stern won't have a Summer title? They will.

Catching up on the code of their current production models would not only help their reputation but, sales of games they have already designed. I think it would be a good thing. They can manufacture the MMRs to keep that side productive during that time.

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

So PPS is licensing a game by WMS, which is manufactured/assembled by CGC and Stern and sold by JJP/Pinball Sales?

This quote pretty much says it all. WAY too funny. That is quite an orgy. You forgot to invite Spooky and SkitB though...

Jaz

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Humm so you think Stern will build and release a summer title as in before end of Aug 2014 - someone mark this thread.

Technically, Summer in these parts ends in late September.

#74 5 years ago

I guess this is the Epic news. I think it a good move for PPS, Stern and the customers. Also, this answers that age old question of how many machines can Stern produce in a week?

#75 5 years ago

I have not been fallowing MM was the number of games set in stone or does this mean a larger run.

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

WMS is getting the licensing cash, Stern is assembling, CGC is engineering, JJP is selling it, and PPS is pulling it all together. Is there anyone left in the business NOT making a buck off of MMR?

You? (joke)

#77 5 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

So PPS is licensing a game by WMS, which is manufactured/assembled by CGC and Stern and sold by JJP/Pinball Sales?

Jack selling a Stern game bad karma.

#78 5 years ago

Sterns labor is going to be putting the game together at the Stern factory. Skilled workers are going to be assembling a game in a location where pinballs are built all the time.

Besides getting games out sooner, MMR owners are not affected. Now, if you are an original MM owner, more games built quicker means more MM's sooner. Your game will be inferior sooner rather than later

Quoted from mechslave:

Anyway, more pinball machines built is good for everyone, so hopefully this all goes well and everyone is happy!

#79 5 years ago

Well damn.
Butt near speachless.
Didn't see that coming, but wow, cool news!
200.jpg

#80 5 years ago

so tired of hearing people call into question Stern build quality.
I'm a pinball tech and have been for 16 years and current model sterns are great. Just as solid as B/W with fewer board problems. Just like any tech, there's things that go bad, but most of the time a NIB Stern is put the balls in and play - ready to go.
If I were a MMR owner, I would feel refreshed that someone that builds pinballs all day everyday and has for years will be assembling my game rather than some new guys just hired a few months ago
my .02

#81 5 years ago

I thought Mustang LE was not likely to crank up the production line, so way to go to produce MMR

Makes sense for Stern and PPS though and not great news for JJP.

#82 5 years ago

"Humm so you think Stern will build and release a summer title as in before end of Aug 2014 - someone mark this thread.
Buildout Mustang - Build MMR - Build new title....they must be wearing a Superman cape..."

And move a plant

#83 5 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

so tired of hearing people call into question Stern build quality.
I'm a pinball tech and have been for 16 years and current model sterns are great. Just as solid as B/W with fewer board problems. Just like any tech, there's things that go bad, but most of the time a NIB Stern is put the balls in and play - ready to go.
If I were a MMR owner, I would feel refreshed that someone that builds pinballs all day everyday and has for years will be assembling my game rather than some new guys just hired a few months ago
my .02

well said.

#84 5 years ago

Love this announcement, and I'm not in on MMr but it destroys any doubt out there about 'will this ever get built'.

Now if we can just get SkitB in the queue

#85 5 years ago

There is no downside. I feel confident that Stern is the best pinball company for the job. The ONLY part that Stern is in charge of is assembly, and they are pretty efficient in that respect (they build somewhere north of 7k games a year) The BOM and quality of parts is totally up to PPS and CGI, as I see it there is no downside. Hopefully I will see my MMR before my birthday (end of July)

#86 5 years ago

Whatever you think of how Stern designs games there's nothing wrong with their production line. Who pumps out consistently well built games? No one else. No one. Sure as hell isn't Jack. Stern could say "hey, those games you can't ship to people who paid for them 3 years ago? We can do that next week."

What? People are disappointed it's not being built by the Vacation America team?

I know I have no issues with the NIB quality of Stern.

#87 5 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

My experience, at least until Batman, is Stern had Williams beat, out of the box for quality.

I never opened a Williams box/game, that I didn't spend a few days tweaking things or replacing.

LTG : )™

#88 5 years ago

Untitled-559.png

Had to be done....

#89 5 years ago

They aren't supplying any of the parts, just building the games.

Quoted from jamieflowers:

The BOM and quality of parts is totally up to PPS and CGI, as I see it there is no downside.

#90 5 years ago

Sounds like a grand slam.

#91 5 years ago

LOL @ the thumbs-downers! Sorry, I should've just showered unconditional praise and glory and called this "Epic" then I could be one of the Good Guys and get all the Thumbs Ups! How dare anyone actually say what they're thinking!

Been too busy for Pinside in the past few months, but good to see the gang mentality hasn't changed!

#92 5 years ago

The only downside to this is they might produce MB sooner and I don't have money for that right now.

#93 5 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

Buildout Mustang - Build MMR - Build new title....

On the Stern tour, Gary said he can build 80 games a day (400 a week), so that sounds like 1/2 of production could be a Stern game and 1/2 could be MMr for any given week.

I wonder how many assembly lines will be at the new Stern factory?

#94 5 years ago

You are getting thumbs down because what you said was dumb, not because it was negative toward the project. You seem to feel that "built by Stern" is a bad thing, but don't say exactly why.

Tell me, why is it bad that it's being built by Stern? Is it because every NIB game they ship isn't 100% perfect? Is it because they don't stand by their products? What? (I think they do a great job at both, though their stuff isn't 100% perfect)

Stern is doing nothing but putting it together. Maybe you have issues with the quality of Sterns parts, or art, or cabs etc, but none of that matters here.

Why do you think Stern can't put this game together correctly?

Quoted from mechslave:

LOL @ the thumbs-downers! Sorry, I should've just showered unconditional praise and glory and called this "Epic" then I could be one of the Good Guys and get all the Thumbs Ups! How dare anyone actually say what they're thinking!

Been too busy for Pinside in the past few months, but good to see the gang mentality hasn't changed!

Quoted from mechslave:

#96 5 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Catching up on the code of their current production models would not only help their reputation but, sales of games they have already designed. I think it would be a good thing. They can manufacture the MMRs to keep that side productive during that time.

LOL!

Seriously doubt that.

#97 5 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Technically, Summer in these parts ends in late September.

Now I said Aug lol not Sept. or October ship....I never said that

#98 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I know I have no issues with the NIB quality of Stern.

NIB Sterns are much better than NIB Williams ever were, ask anyone who was around back then routing them.

#99 5 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Now I said Aug lol not Sept. or October ship....I never said that.

Well.. you said Summer... I was just clarifying that if you are going to talk the end of Summer then that would be Sept 21 technically.

You can't declare that something will or will not happen by the end of Summer then later come back and say that September doesn't count.

Anyways... we are off topic. It's all good.

#100 5 years ago

Am I the only one that thinks JPP should sign a similar agreement?! since they are still trying to fill the preorders of WOZ this many years later?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
$ 89.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Indianapolis, IN
$ 135.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
There are 539 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 11.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside