Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Frax
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Illum-Flipper (resized).png
    IMG_0898 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0897 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2533 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8218 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8812 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7325 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3697 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2973 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2684 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1540 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4511 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pps.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

We have finally gotten in the Illuminated Flipper Bats ... these are made by Peter at B&T in Germany working with us. He has been selling them in Germany for a little white.

The Illuminated Flipper bats are made using modifed flipper bat tooling as well as special flipper shafts in that tooling which have small bores thru to snake a wires thru the shaft to a multi-color LED board mounted in each flipper bat.

Additionally, there is a remote control which you can change the pattern/color of the light. The flipper bats are a special transluscent soft white so as to diffuse the light emitted from the LEDs.

Its available here for anyone interested ...

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-FLIPLIGHTUP-KIT&Store_Code=PP

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Have you solved the fragile nature of the flipper bat?
    I understand those style bats break easily under normal use.

From Peter this morning:

Hello Rick

Sorry the late reply, I just come back to Hamburg.

I dont know what he is talking about. I have not had 1 complaint that the bats break.
    I will try to find the video that I made.

#7 7 years ago

There are at least 6 different suppliers of 'those' type of flipper bats ... there is a different way to ask the question than to propose that there is something wrong when you do not know. Those illuminated bats have only been sold from Europe, so mainly in Europe, and we've not heard of any issues with them.

Oy.

rick

#10 7 years ago

I will post what video's I can find, but it's pretty cool - it uses the little remote LED controllers for RGB leds, so you can change color as well as pattern, etc.

rick

#12 7 years ago

Well, it's taken alot of engineering and pretty low volume, PCB's, RGB wiring, special flipper tooling, complicated to 'get right', and has taken a long time and cost alot of money to do ... I'm not sure why it's 'designed to wear out' ... that's not what we've seen - what exactly 'wears out' on a flipper bat?

#15 7 years ago

The only bat I'm familiar with that had any issue was the lightning bolt bats of years ago (and completely resolved and only effected a small number of bats), which are not the 'same style' as the 3" bats.

I guess you could argue that pinballs are disposable and cosmetic as well.

Once again, I thought I was telling people about a product that they could choose (or not choose) to buy.

#19 7 years ago

They are just standard 3" flipper bats - used on Sterns, JJP, WMS/BLY, etc ...

3 weeks later
    #36 7 years ago
    Quoted from tktlwyr:

It would be nice if a license holder released some more licensed parts instead of stuff like this.
    Anyone remember when you could actually find parts you needed at BAA, before PPS was launched?
    Now all I see is a lot of not in stock, even on the most common parts.
    Thank God for Marco and Pinball Life!

That's right nothing gets made anymore ... lol ... the sky is falling, the world is ending ... we've never been so busy.

#38 7 years ago

Plenty in stock and more coming in all the time and much more on order than ever before ... took a year to move to Nevada, and you can always criticize, that is the easiest thing to do ...

#42 7 years ago

i'm not sure exactly what your objective is. There are always parts that will be out of stock, that is the nature of this business. There are more parts than anyone can have, there are many parts we have that others do not, it is the way it is. We are ordering all the time, and parts are selling out all the time. I'm sure things would be much better if there is one large seller of parts with huge markups.

4 weeks later
    #56 7 years ago

Here are the initial instructions I got from Peter, clearly we need a picture/word version, and would be great for anyone who has purchased them if they do a video on the install. But for now, this is what I have as well as a wiring diagram

When installing the flipper bats, please make sure that the wires comming out of the shaft are
    laid in a big loose loop, no tension on the wire. Use Ty-Wraps to connect the wire to an existing Wire Harness.
    Please double check the length of the screws that you use to fasten the boards, wouldnt be nice if they pop out the top of your playfield!

Look at the direction on the pins in the connects of the bat. They are now loose and have to be removed before installing the bat. Pull the wire out of the connector and observe the direction of the pin in the connector. If a pin is stuck, use the tooth pick. On the color marked side of the connector
    Is a rectangular hole. Poke the tooth pick gently into the top side of the hole, there is a tiny metal sheet
    That needs to be pushed down gently, at the same time pull the conector out gently by the wire.
    The top side of the rectangular hole is always in the direction were the wires are comming out of the connector housing.

1. Remove the flipper bats, Nice oppertunity to re do the bushings.
    2. I would advise to re-new the metal clamp and plunger to be on the save side.
    3. Put the wires of the bats through the bushing and the metal braket clamming the shaft,
    follow with the shaft, adjust the bats and fasten them.
    4. The wires and connectors are marked with a color for each channel, RGB and Ground,
    Put the wires back into the connector.
    Check that the wires are tight by pulling them gently, if the pin didnt hook into the connector it will
    be pulled out of the connector.
    5. Plug the wires comming from the bats into the CPU board, it has 4 places to plug the bats, you may
    take any place. Now you can find the best spot to place the CPU. Always make sure that the wire
    comming from the bats are hanging in a wide loop, from the bat to the wire harness, secure the wire
    with Ty-wraps to insure that the loop is secured. Then you can find the right position for the CPU
    board. Fasten the CPU board, Make sure that the screws you are using have the right length.
    6. Plug the wire connecting CPU and Sensor. The sensor board has a black diode on it. This black
    diode can be placed under any insert, black diode faceing the insert. Fasten the sensor board, check
    the length screws that you are using. The bats can be controlled through the light insert (Infra Red)
    7. Now connect the power supply wire harness to the CPU, this wire can be soldered to any 6V ac
    (General Illumination) lamp socket. Check for a near by Gen. Ill. Lamp, check the rout and lay the
    wire harness, cut the wire at the hight of the solder spots on the lamp socket, make sure that the
    wire is laying nicely, loose, not streched. Take of the tips of the wire isolation, apply solder metal,
    also apply solder metal to your solder spots on the lamp socket, sometimes the old solder doesnt
    flow nicly and is hard to heat up, applying some new solder metal helps the flowing. Then heat 1st
    solder spot, once the solder is melted, hold the wire on the solder spot, remove your solder iron
    and hold the wire firm a couple of seconds. Then repeat with the second wire.
    8. Recheck all the wires, Tie them neatly into the existing wire harness and make sure that the wires
    comming out of the shaft can hang through in a wide loop.
    9. Switch your pin on. Aim with the remote control to the light insert were you mounted the sensors,
    You can choose the color of the bats. You can also start confusion mode with letting the bats
    Blink and change colors. Have fun.

Thanks for trusting my work. If you do have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
    [email protected]

Illum-Flipper (resized).pngIllum-Flipper (resized).png

#59 7 years ago

That's possible, it does require tooling changes to the tool, but I think it's a good idea and when I discuss with Peter I will see what his thoughts are.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pps.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-illuminated-flipper-bats?tu=pps and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.