Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Frax
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Illum-Flipper (resized).png
    IMG_0898 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0897 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2533 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8218 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8812 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7325 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3697 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2973 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2684 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1540 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4511 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 7 years ago

I want to like these so much, but the idea of 120 bucks on what is definitely a designed-to-wear-out part...*cringe*

Like..for real...make these things out of machined aluminum bodies with cutouts in the top of the bat that illuminate, and I'm all in.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from PPS:

Well, it's taken alot of engineering and pretty low volume, PCB's, RGB wiring, special flipper tooling, complicated to 'get right', and has taken a long time and cost alot of money to do ... I'm not sure why it's 'designed to wear out' ... that's not what we've seen - what exactly 'wears out' on a flipper bat?

Oh, I know. I've been following the saga for years. Literally. People claiming they had them for sale, me asking where, nobody will say a word about how they were made or who. It's pretty funny. What wears out on a flipper bat? The plastic. Oh see, there's another great idea that could be an option... The flipper shaft isn't really going to wear out in any kind of realisitic timeframe, but the flipper bodies are the problem, so why not go EM-tech with that stuff, make it a "shoe" with the mod attached, and then have replaceable bodies that screw into the shaft. I'm sure there's other ways that the durability thing could be addressed. Frankly, I think it's kind of insulting that as the owner of two companies that sell flipper bats, you're asking someone like me how flipper bats wear out? Really? How many flipper bats a month DO PPS and BAA sell, man?

Eat it, Sarge. Nobody asked him to defend anything. It's what it IS. It's a freakin' 120 buck DISPOSABLE...COSMETIC...part. There's literally no defense for that. Either you want it, or you don't. Zitt was right to ask about the break thing, because other lit flipper bats *DID* have that issue, and I think we all want to know just how fragile things are before we plunk down more than a benji on them....that's just called being a smart consumer. Of course, some people have more money than smarts.

#16 7 years ago

I'm choosing to wait for someone else to spend their money and report back? Like I said..I like the *idea*, it's the cost/durability question that makes me pause.

I'm fairly sure this is actually cheaper than when Peter originally announced these for sale, which is good at least. Were there lit lightning flippers before or you just talking about the regular ones. I remember those having issues. You know, you're PROBABLY right, that in a home environment, there's probably not much concern over durability, but I play the tar out of my games, and take them to TPF and host leagues/tournaments occasionally, so I'm sure I'm an edge case. Definitely not the guy putting 50 plays a year on a game.

Pinballs are disposable in terms of items that we all know will wear and need to be replaced, of course. Cosmetic is easily arguable for some of them. Pretty sure PBL has made a killing off ooh_shiiiiny pinballs at this point, and all of Backalley's etched ones? To each their own.

#23 7 years ago

Good feedback. Also....waaaaay brighter than I would've expected!

1 month later
    #60 7 years ago
    Quoted from tktlwyr:

C/DC came out before Tron and isn't even listed.

No, it didn't!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-illuminated-flipper-bats?tu=frax and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.