Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Frax
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Illum-Flipper (resized).png
    IMG_0898 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0897 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2533 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8218 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8812 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7325 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3697 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2973 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2684 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1540 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4511 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

We have finally gotten in the Illuminated Flipper Bats ... these are made by Peter at B&T in Germany working with us. He has been selling them in Germany for a little white.

The Illuminated Flipper bats are made using modifed flipper bat tooling as well as special flipper shafts in that tooling which have small bores thru to snake a wires thru the shaft to a multi-color LED board mounted in each flipper bat.

Additionally, there is a remote control which you can change the pattern/color of the light. The flipper bats are a special transluscent soft white so as to diffuse the light emitted from the LEDs.

Its available here for anyone interested ...

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-FLIPLIGHTUP-KIT&Store_Code=PP

#2 7 years ago

Have you solved the fragile nature of the flipper bat?
    I understand those style bats break easily under normal use.

#3 7 years ago

WOW, $119.- plus shipping..better be bulletproof!

#4 7 years ago

Have any more pictures or a video detailing the pattern effects?

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Have you solved the fragile nature of the flipper bat?
    I understand those style bats break easily under normal use.

From Peter this morning:

Hello Rick

Sorry the late reply, I just come back to Hamburg.

I dont know what he is talking about. I have not had 1 complaint that the bats break.
    I will try to find the video that I made.

#6 7 years ago

It's a new product; so we'll see.
    All I can say is that I've had a few in the hobby tell me that this style of bat easily breaks on games like Star Trek the next generation. Hopefully; this is a different vendor and these won't have that problem.

Maybe others who have tried this bat style will have more data they can share.

#7 7 years ago

There are at least 6 different suppliers of 'those' type of flipper bats ... there is a different way to ask the question than to propose that there is something wrong when you do not know. Those illuminated bats have only been sold from Europe, so mainly in Europe, and we've not heard of any issues with them.

Oy.

rick

#8 7 years ago

Hmmm these look fun to try on one of machines.....a video showing these off would definitely help out my decision.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from PPS:

There are at least 6 different suppliers of 'those' type of flipper bats ... there is a different way to ask the question than to propose that there is something wrong when you do not know.

If you don't want people jumping to conclusions then maybe specify right off the bat that this is a different supplier than the inferior ones since I can't imagine most people can tell the difference by a tiny pic on the internet? I know I've had "those style" bats break clean off on my JM after ~2 months.

#10 7 years ago

I will post what video's I can find, but it's pretty cool - it uses the little remote LED controllers for RGB leds, so you can change color as well as pattern, etc.

rick

#11 7 years ago

I want to like these so much, but the idea of 120 bucks on what is definitely a designed-to-wear-out part...*cringe*

Like..for real...make these things out of machined aluminum bodies with cutouts in the top of the bat that illuminate, and I'm all in.

#12 7 years ago

Well, it's taken alot of engineering and pretty low volume, PCB's, RGB wiring, special flipper tooling, complicated to 'get right', and has taken a long time and cost alot of money to do ... I'm not sure why it's 'designed to wear out' ... that's not what we've seen - what exactly 'wears out' on a flipper bat?

#13 7 years ago

Holy shit,

All you guys do is complain.

Hows about a "Hey thanks for makings parts available again for our machines Rick"

Rick doesn't even MAKE these from what Im understanding, just making them AVAILABLE to purchase, and immediately has to "defend" a product.

I bet if he GAVE THESE AWAY someone would complain because the had to pay shipping...

So I will break it down for you:

Rick!
    Thanks for making parts available for my games!

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from PPS:

Well, it's taken alot of engineering and pretty low volume, PCB's, RGB wiring, special flipper tooling, complicated to 'get right', and has taken a long time and cost alot of money to do ... I'm not sure why it's 'designed to wear out' ... that's not what we've seen - what exactly 'wears out' on a flipper bat?

Oh, I know. I've been following the saga for years. Literally. People claiming they had them for sale, me asking where, nobody will say a word about how they were made or who. It's pretty funny. What wears out on a flipper bat? The plastic. Oh see, there's another great idea that could be an option... The flipper shaft isn't really going to wear out in any kind of realisitic timeframe, but the flipper bodies are the problem, so why not go EM-tech with that stuff, make it a "shoe" with the mod attached, and then have replaceable bodies that screw into the shaft. I'm sure there's other ways that the durability thing could be addressed. Frankly, I think it's kind of insulting that as the owner of two companies that sell flipper bats, you're asking someone like me how flipper bats wear out? Really? How many flipper bats a month DO PPS and BAA sell, man?

Eat it, Sarge. Nobody asked him to defend anything. It's what it IS. It's a freakin' 120 buck DISPOSABLE...COSMETIC...part. There's literally no defense for that. Either you want it, or you don't. Zitt was right to ask about the break thing, because other lit flipper bats *DID* have that issue, and I think we all want to know just how fragile things are before we plunk down more than a benji on them....that's just called being a smart consumer. Of course, some people have more money than smarts.

#15 7 years ago

The only bat I'm familiar with that had any issue was the lightning bolt bats of years ago (and completely resolved and only effected a small number of bats), which are not the 'same style' as the 3" bats.

I guess you could argue that pinballs are disposable and cosmetic as well.

Once again, I thought I was telling people about a product that they could choose (or not choose) to buy.

#16 7 years ago

I'm choosing to wait for someone else to spend their money and report back? Like I said..I like the *idea*, it's the cost/durability question that makes me pause.

I'm fairly sure this is actually cheaper than when Peter originally announced these for sale, which is good at least. Were there lit lightning flippers before or you just talking about the regular ones. I remember those having issues. You know, you're PROBABLY right, that in a home environment, there's probably not much concern over durability, but I play the tar out of my games, and take them to TPF and host leagues/tournaments occasionally, so I'm sure I'm an edge case. Definitely not the guy putting 50 plays a year on a game.

Pinballs are disposable in terms of items that we all know will wear and need to be replaced, of course. Cosmetic is easily arguable for some of them. Pretty sure PBL has made a killing off ooh_shiiiiny pinballs at this point, and all of Backalley's etched ones? To each their own.

#17 7 years ago

I feel pretty good that these are going to be just Perfect!

I chatted with Peter Months ago regarding these.

Toyed around with some Proto types in the past with Gabe, only to realize that to make them right,
    PPS and Rick was 100% the only way to go.

I dont remember how to find the video, but they look amazing!

You guys are going to love these!

#18 7 years ago

Rick do you have the specs (size) on these? Thinking of trying them on GBLE but I have the larger carrot flippers on it now

#19 7 years ago

They are just standard 3" flipper bats - used on Sterns, JJP, WMS/BLY, etc ...

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I'm fairly sure this is actually cheaper than when Peter originally announced these for sale, which is good at least. Were there lit lightning flippers before or you just talking about the regular ones. I remember those having issues. You know, you're PROBABLY right, that in a home environment, there's probably not much concern over durability, but I play the tar out of my games, and take them to TPF and host leagues/tournaments occasionally, so I'm sure I'm an edge case. Definitely not the guy putting 50 plays a year on a game.

IIRC one of the TPF regulars had this "Style" of flipper bat on her STNG a couple of years ago which was decked out with purple armor. I specifically remember her telling me that these "style" flipper bats were less than robust and she had to replace the bat while it was in service at TPF. I do not recall nor did I ask how much she played her game or in what conditions. And technically, this is hearsay... so YMMV. Already one person has come forward here stating he had issues on JM with the older "transparent" flipper bats.

Now; what we don't know is if the original manufacturer (not Rick who is the distributor) did any testing for durability. Someone like Pinball SuperNova or some other blogger needs to get a set and give us real-world first impressions.

To get a frosted clear flipper bat; the manufacturer may have chosen a better, more robust material than the original "transparent" style did. If so; then it's entirely possible these will last a long time. However, in absence of any REAL material information; I am left to wonder if these flipper bats and this mod will stand the test of time for $120.

I'm not willing to vote with my wallet and take the risk; but I certainly think is an interesting mod which until there real data on robustness - is worth people's time if they have money to burn.

#21 7 years ago

120 bucks is kinda peanuts in this hobby, especially considering the huge amount of cosmetic mods that are bought and installed by pinheads at pretty hefty prices. That's my opinion at least..

I've thought these would be pretty cool since getting into the hobby and it's great to see someone pulled it off and Rick is distributing them. I'd really like to see a video first -- but I have no hesitation about trying out a set if I like how they look in the video. If they break in 2 months or 2 years oh well, it was worth a shot. But I suspect that in home environments they will last a very very long time.

Regarding someone's earlier comment about swappable bats on shafts - swinks makes these available thru shape ways, it prob would be doable with these light up ones as well if durability was a problem - just a bit more engineering

#22 7 years ago

I've had these on since April with no issues, HUO. I even have the clear rubber disc on my Tron which throws the ball hard and fast back at you. No issues live catching out of the right scoop or performing other flipper tricks.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#23 7 years ago

Good feedback. Also....waaaaay brighter than I would've expected!

#24 7 years ago

Super cool, just not sure what machine I have that I would want them on. Maybe haunted house, but there isnt a Gottlieb option right?

#25 7 years ago

Wow tron is like the perfect machine for those bats...

1 week later
    #26 7 years ago

PPS, I'm interested in these for my Tron. From what I can see on your site, they come in kits with 2 bats. What are my options for a 3-flipper machine? Buy 2 kits & have a spare bat? Buy a kit & 1 extra bat? Can 3 bats plug into 1 PCB?

Thanks,
    -Jason

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sarge:

Rick!
    Thanks for making parts available for my games!

Nicely said ......a large "thanks and great job is always welcome"

THANKS ... RICK

#28 7 years ago

This looks pretty cool. Does the kit come with clear flipper rubbers? Are these 5 or 12v? Rick as a suggestion could you make the picture on your site bigger, say half screen so we can see what's all included. Thanks

#29 7 years ago

That Tron looks awesome. I don't think I could resist this if I had a Tron.

#30 7 years ago

Cool. Didn't know flipper bats "wore out" either. Don't they just break, I mean, with age possibly sure, but I'd say that's simply just breaking as one moment it is fine and the next it is totally broken rather than it actually wearing down besides a minuscule amount.

For the record, unless these are worse (which I'm not sure why it is assumed), none of my original flipper bats have ever broken. They seem pretty robust, but then again, I don't own any newer machines so maybe the constant speed difference has an impact. Good luck with it.

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

IIRC one of the TPF regulars had this "Style" of flipper bat on her STNG a couple of years ago which was decked out with purple armor. I specifically remember her telling me that these "style" flipper bats were less than robust and she had to replace the bat while it was in service at TPF. I do not recall nor did I ask how much she played her game or in what conditions. And technically, this is hearsay... so YMMV. Already one person has come forward here stating he had issues on JM with the older "transparent" flipper bats.
    Now; what we don't know is if the original manufacturer (not Rick who is the distributor) did any testing for durability. Someone like Pinball SuperNova or some other blogger needs to get a set and give us real-world first impressions.
    To get a frosted clear flipper bat; the manufacturer may have chosen a better, more robust material than the original "transparent" style did. If so; then it's entirely possible these will last a long time. However, in absence of any REAL material information; I am left to wonder if these flipper bats and this mod will stand the test of time for $120.
    I'm not willing to vote with my wallet and take the risk; but I certainly think is an interesting mod which until there real data on robustness - is worth people's time if they have money to burn.

Zitt, thanks . I would love to do a review of this product. Only problem is with all the reviews and installs on my social media pages (Pinball Supernova) almost all the mods I purchased myself except for a couple of the mods that vendors offered me a discounted or free mod. I almost get no requests for anyone offering me a mod or a discounted price just to do a review to get the word out there. Gets too expensive if I need to purchase all the mods myself. I have a lot of people checking out the posts of new mods and installs so it would be in the best interest of the vendor to sometimes do this to sell more product. I guess its the vendors decision to decide if that's the path they want to take, I would never ask.

#32 7 years ago

They look like light sabers. Maybe put them on a Star Wars pin. I wonder if it would be too distracting to make left and right flippers different colors.

#33 7 years ago

I would think these would be distracting as hell when actually playing a game. Of course, half the mods I see are more "look how pretty my game looks" vs. "look how much better the game play/experience is" mods.

At $120 per set, I finally found a mod that makes Invisiglass seem like a bargain!

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from Da_Topper:

I've had these on since April with no issues, HUO. I even have the clear rubber disc on my Tron which throws the ball hard and fast back at you. No issues live catching out of the right scoop or performing other flipper tricks.

Fancypants, Da_Topper. I wish to try these out on my Tron as well.
    Did you have to buy 2 full kits & keep 1 bat as a spare?
    Can one controller drive & light up all 3 flippers in unison or in differing colors/patterns?

Thanks,
    -Jason

#35 7 years ago

It would be nice if a license holder released some more licensed parts instead of stuff like this.

Anyone remember when you could actually find parts you needed at BAA, before PPS was launched?

Now all I see is a lot of not in stock, even on the most common parts.

Thank God for Marco and Pinball Life!

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from tktlwyr:

It would be nice if a license holder released some more licensed parts instead of stuff like this.
    Anyone remember when you could actually find parts you needed at BAA, before PPS was launched?
    Now all I see is a lot of not in stock, even on the most common parts.
    Thank God for Marco and Pinball Life!

That's right nothing gets made anymore ... lol ... the sky is falling, the world is ending ... we've never been so busy.

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from PPS:

That's right nothing gets made anymore ... lol ... the sky is falling, the world is ending ... we've never been so busy.

Glad your busy, but that doesn't explain why it seems nothing is in stock anymore.

When I entered the hobby about 10 years ago, you were my go to parts distributor. You had parts in stock with reasonable and fast shipping. Unfortunately, now you're my last resort.

As a businessman, I would have thought you would have asked what I needed that wasn't in stock. Instead, you attempt to ridicule a customer. I had heard you were a dick, but had never dealt with you personally. I guess I now know where that reputation comes from.

I wish you success on selling your illuminated flipper bats. I'll go hang my head in shame now.

#38 7 years ago

Plenty in stock and more coming in all the time and much more on order than ever before ... took a year to move to Nevada, and you can always criticize, that is the easiest thing to do ...

#39 7 years ago

And you can actually read what the poster said and not deride a potential customer. Alienating a customer isn't taught in any business course I've ever had.

#40 7 years ago

how about just illuminating the outline/edging of the bats via a mask, not having the entire bat glow ? Just too bright for me.

#41 7 years ago

A few examples:

Three very basic lamp sockets that I had been looking for about two months ago that have been out of stock (and still listed as such):

http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=BAA&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=LB-077-5005-00
    http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=BAA&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=LB-077-5000-00
    http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=BAA&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=LB-077-5002-00

BTW, you're Stern 1999-Present is about 3 years out of date. Latest game Tron? AC/DC came out before Tron and isn't even listed.

Any Bally SS flipper plungers and links available? Not listed on the website.

#42 7 years ago

i'm not sure exactly what your objective is. There are always parts that will be out of stock, that is the nature of this business. There are more parts than anyone can have, there are many parts we have that others do not, it is the way it is. We are ordering all the time, and parts are selling out all the time. I'm sure things would be much better if there is one large seller of parts with huge markups.

#43 7 years ago

I don't have an objective. I'm just sharing my experience that I've had difficulty finding basic parts over the last few years from what used to be my preferred vendor and then you attempt to ridicule me. I guess you can't deal with a little constructive criticism.

FWIW, I've spent about $1,000 in basic parts over the last 3 months and I don't think any of it went to either of your companies. I then linked proof that some of these parts are still listed as out of stock and now I have an objective? Thats pretty lame, Rick.

As I previously said, good luck with your flipper bats.

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from tktlwyr:

I don't have an objective.

Don't take it personally. When you provide any kind of feedback that is less than ideal, Rick will accuse you of being a troll. It is what it is unfortunately.

#45 7 years ago

Before purchasing, is it possible to post the installation instructions? Thanks much.

#46 7 years ago

It's ok. Rick likes to come in here... hock his wares... and be treated like a king.
    Has anyone actually seen him post constructively? Does he actually participate in thread where he has no interest? Does he help his fellow pinhead out? Didn't think so.

So yeah; I think you've made the right choice for him to be your last resort. I think you'd be better off ordering this bats from Germany rather than give PPS any more of your money.

#47 7 years ago

Are the bats' colors independent or do they both have to be the same color/pattern?

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from tktlwyr:

A few examples:
    Three very basic lamp sockets that I had been looking for about two months ago that have been out of stock (and still listed as such):
    http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=BAA&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=LB-077-5005-00
    http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=BAA&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=LB-077-5000-00
    http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=BAA&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=LB-077-5002-00
    BTW, you're Stern 1999-Present is about 3 years out of date. Latest game Tron? AC/DC came out before Tron and isn't even listed.
    Any Bally SS flipper plungers and links available? Not listed on the website.

I have experienced the same thing at pinball shows as well. PPS was not at these shows. I had a LOTR on the floor and one of the switches broke. This was (from my understanding) a common fail point on this machine. So I scour all the vendors at the show. I could get any topper or LED whatever I wanted, but a switch? Nope. They sell what sells I guess. The same reason you have to go to 3 different suppliers to get everything you need. It is not a PPS issue specifically.

Anyway, the bats are cool, but not for me. To me it's another "pimp my pin" type accessory (which is fine if you're into that) which will make needed parts unavailable at shows.

Chris

2 weeks later
    #49 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rasavage:

Are the bats' colors independent or do they both have to be the same color/pattern?

Yep - Same color.

I recently put a set of these in a DE SW. I wanted the 'lightsaber' effect, though when it was done I ended up going with the white color, at least for now.

IMG_7325 (resized).JPGIMG_7325 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3697 (resized).JPGIMG_3697 (resized).JPG

I thought the white with red bands kinda reminded me of the Ghostbusters emblem, though I'm not sure if those colors would go well with the GB art package. Might get another set and experiment.

IMG_8812 (resized).JPGIMG_8812 (resized).JPG

There really aren't any installation instructions, just a small diagram on a tiny piece of paper about the size of a post-it. The only part that gave me pause, compared to other mods, is that the power lead was a closed loop going into a two-pin connector on the little control board.. After looking at the diagram and seeing some voltage stamps on the board, I surmised that this must be the power lead, cut it - and put a molex on it. (and crossed my fingers that no magic smoke would be released)

IMG_2684 (resized).JPGIMG_2684 (resized).JPG

The connector pins are color-coded and installed partially into a connector. You remove the pins in order to fish the cabling through your shaft bushing and re-assemble the connector.

IMG_1540 (resized).JPGIMG_1540 (resized).JPG

You can see there is a small controller board with an IR remote extension, so that you can mount the IR tower somewhere that the remote can hit. (Ostensibly without opening the machine but I left mine 'down below', as it were.)

IMG_2533 (resized).JPGIMG_2533 (resized).JPG

For power, I fed mine from a splitter in the back box that comes IMG_4511 (resized).JPGIMG_4511 (resized).JPG ultimately from a power tap, similar to what DKPinball makes (and mezel sells): IMG_8218 (resized).JPGIMG_8218 (resized).JPG (mine came with the ColorDMD)

IMG_2973 (resized).JPGIMG_2973 (resized).JPG

All in all, installation took only about 30 minutes. I'm happy with them, thus far and the only thing I'd recommend is that they take a page from Mezel and WozMods on full-color documentation (even a pdf / download) and maybe go ahead and put a molex on the power lead.

1 week later
    #50 7 years ago

These work great!

However, I modified them a bit so they only light up when the flipper button is pressed or held. Plan to order more sets soon!

IMG_0897 (resized).JPGIMG_0897 (resized).JPG

IMG_0898 (resized).JPGIMG_0898 (resized).JPG

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-illuminated-flipper-bats/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.