th-1-187.jpeg
th-584.jpeg
image.jpg
image-298.jpg
fa5a6f77803a2e30831f95ead6615d4f.jpg
om nom nom.JPG
image.jpg
CIMG5248.JPG
There are 731 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 15.
#101 9 years ago

Why do I get these images in my head of Rick within hours of his announcements on Pinside
untitled1.pnguntitled1.png
untitled-467.pnguntitled-467.png
imagesCA6TZUOP.jpgimagesCA6TZUOP.jpg

#102 9 years ago

I mean the parts thing BEfore Plantary we had 2 that both NEVER got much done.... Yes Gene did do BBB that was great BUT the whole parts thing with him AND Wayne was a joke... Much better with 2 on the ball operations than 1.. But too late I guess...

#105 9 years ago
Quoted from beachybrid:

Capcom's 1997 "Red Line Fever" - they could produce that... perhaps?

Not enough was done to make the game. BBB cabinet, white wood playfield, straight motocross handlebars on the lockdown bar.

Now if you got Greg Kmiec to finish it. ??

Too bad we lost Python and the finishing touches for Zingy Bingy.

LTG : )™

#106 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

IPB does not have all the rights needed to make TAF PFs which means PPS does not have all the rights either.

You do know they made them in the past right? Two runs that I know of. Had to have all the rights at some point....

Which is why I said:
"IPB had those rights already. So, unless they let them slip away by not renewing them, it should follow that PPS now owns those rights."

#107 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I did my research, came to the conclusion that TAF pfs will likely never be made again, wisely bought a restorable one, and made peace with the fact that the best game ever may eventually die due to stupid liscence holder protecting their assests of dead people

Isn't the only person depicted on the playfield Christopher Lloyd?

Isn't he still alive?

#108 9 years ago

Next Epic announcement with be...

"Planetary Pinball Supply acquires Zaccaria Pinball."

#109 9 years ago
Quoted from mikepin:

I like Planetary and what they have done BUT I would have liked to see another player in the game. Competion is always good with smart players....

Smart players is the key there, Mike.

#110 9 years ago

More like "Planetary Pinball Supply acquires Jersey Jack Pinball."

Quoted from Pinballfantexas:

#111 9 years ago

^^^ I rather it be "PPS acquires JPop's Zidware boutique line of pinballs" and goes on to actually producing them. Then maybe I'll see RAZA in my life time!

#112 9 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

I don't see how a Monopoly will be a good thing for consumers, expect to see higher prices for games and parts.

The market will bear what it bears. JJP entered the game making arena and prices went up. I'd rather one place that was competent just handled things, you're never going to see competition for the exact same thing, i.e. a Monster Bash remake. Either one company makes them or it doesn't happen. If it's priced right it will sell, if not it won't.

You've been selling your games for good prices as you exit out (for now at least) you know how the market works!

#113 9 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

You do know they made them in the past right? Two runs that I know of. Had to have all the rights at some point....
Which is why I said:
"IPB had those rights already. So, unless they let them slip away by not renewing them, it should follow that PPS now owns those rights."

Yes, I know that IPB made TAF pf reproduction in the past. That last run was a LONG time ago and they were not rerun for a reason. From my understanding it will be difficult to LEGALLY rerun them in the future.

#114 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Yes, I know that IPB made TAF pf reproduction in the past. That last run was a LONG time ago and they were not rerun for a reason. From my understanding it will be difficult to LEGALLY rerun them in the future.

I'm hoping some bootlegger saves the day and does these under the radar. Black market pf's, all the quality, non of the BS that comes from licenses.

#115 9 years ago

Unless you're privy to information you can't share publicly, I thought the problems for them running the playfields again were more logistical than legal. Quality issues, registration issues, color correctness, pride, etc.

Unless by your posts you're insinuating they indeed let the rights slip away....

Then yes, we're screwed.

#116 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It seems like the split rights have caused nothing but headaches.

Was a pain in the ass for me. =)

More will probably get done and quality should go up.

#117 9 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Unless by your posts you're insinuating they indeed let the rights slip away....

Even if the license expired, PPS would enter into an agreement to get a new license.

License holders make money by LICENSING the properties they own. They don't make money by preventing licenses from being issued.

Movie rights:

Paramount Pictures
Phone: (323) 956-5000
Legal Department - Rights and Permissions
5555 Melrose Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90038

#118 9 years ago

I hope they do vid.

#119 9 years ago

Post say majority, not all of IPB assests, but I heard PPS already got BBB before this?

#120 9 years ago

BBB remake was Genes legacy. It would be a shame he had to let it go, but if decals/parts are made for it, that will be comparable/compatible with existing BBB then I'm for it.

If PPS make BBB and only supply parts that fit/work with their own version then us Capcom owners are screwed... Good job Gene did a great job in the remake and Capcom boards/parts are built like tanks!

#121 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

BBB remake was Genes legacy. It would be a shame he had to let it go, but if decals/parts are made for it, that will be comparable with existing BBB then I'm for it.
If PPS make BBB and only supply parts that fit/work with their own version then us Capcom owners are screwed... Good job Gene did a great job in the remake and Capcom boards/parts are built like tanks!

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I probably am) - but wasn't one of the issues w/ the Capcom boards & reverse engineering them for Kingpin the suicide chip? Is it similar to the Capcom CPS2 boards where if the lithium battery dies, it takes the whole board with it? Having the Capcom games on a new system running emulated code could be a great thing, if that's the case.

#122 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I probably am) - but wasn't one of the issues w/ the Capcom boards & reverse engineering them for Kingpin the suicide chip? Is it similar to the Capcom CPS2 boards where if the lithium battery dies, it takes the whole board with it? Having the Capcom games on a new system running emulated code could be a great thing, if that's the case.

The chip was just an excuse. IPB just didn't have the resources to get Kingpin done.

#123 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Not the CPS2 issue. I'm really fuzzy on this but generally remember the following:

I believe it was the a display chip that was a gate array or some processor. There was a fuse on the read line that was blown (intentionally.) That makes it so you can't read the code on the chip. So even if you can purchase replacement chips if you don't have the code you can't program them. There is a way to get the code off of chips like that but it's very expensive and afair requires a lab to remove the coating on the chip and repair the blown line to enable code reads. Again, don't shoot me on any of this as it's been a while.

Some sharp EE/CE like Ed Chung could reverse engineer the chip's function and create a replacement gate array. Someone could also write software to emulate what the chip does similar to Nucore or mame. Gene asked Don and I to do it numerous times but he really wasn't willing to pay much of anything for it.

So that's the issue as I recall.

#124 9 years ago

The majority of the MMLE parts work in MM. I would imagine it would be very similar for BBB.

Quoted from Pinhead1982:

If PPS make BBB and only supply parts that fit/work with their own version then us Capcom owners are screwed...

#125 9 years ago

if it's just display code, couldn't any capcom game just be duplicated off that chip?

#126 9 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

So even if you can purchase replacement chips if you don't have the code you can't program them. There is a way to get the code off of chips like that but it's very expensive and afair requires a lab to remove the coating on the chip and repair the blown line to enable code reads. Again, don't shoot me on any of this as it's been a while.

Exactly. The Capcom "ASIC". The last I had heard was that the "code" HAD been read off the chip, BUT it isn't useable because the code that is on the chip has gone through a special compiler specifically for that chip and can't be rewritten onto other more modern chips (you actually need the original (pre-compiler) source code which Gene doesn't have).

Whether that code could be written onto the same chip or not is pretty much irrelevant as those chips are long gone and done on older wafer technology that isn't available anymore (meaning, you aren't going to find enough of them or cheap enough to make another run of games).

Obviously a software workaround exists for PinMame, so it seems like it'd be feasible to write new hardware code (based on whatever they did) for a more modern chip. I agree that someone like Ed would probably be able to do this.

There is also obsolete chips in the audio board which would also need to be dealt with in order to do another run of "original" hardware. GIven what I've seen of MMr, doesn't seem like that would be the route to go anyway.

FWIW.

#127 9 years ago

all the genius things made by pinball electronics experts and they can't make a chip where it can be placed on a different type of chip, un compiled? Like a mini board in place of the chip.

#128 9 years ago

Is it me or am I the only one that wants an Airborne rerelease?

#129 9 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

Is it me or am I the only one that wants an Airborne rerelease?

I've only ever seen one of that game (at PPM) and it just didn't grab me. The huge wireform is cool and all, but I can't get the game to output fun.

#130 9 years ago
Quoted from Excalabur:

but I can't get the game to output fun.

Man that is an absolutely brilliant phrase, and entirely appropriate to Airborne.

#131 9 years ago
Quoted from sepins:

Glad I didn't pay 20K to get a BBB back in my stable!

20k for any game = too much money + not enough sense....

#132 9 years ago

Great news for the Pinball community. Finally all in the one place and hopefully we will see some much needed parts surface in the near future.

#133 9 years ago

I really hope that they concentrate more on parts and possibly bringing games like Kingpin and Wizard Block to fruition, rather than remaking games, but I suspect they will do whatever makes the most business sense.

Whatever path they choose, after all the squabbling that has gone on over the past 10 years between the rights holders, can only be good to have them all in the hands of someone who has a proven track record of being able to deliver.

#134 9 years ago

PPS is remaking MM so suggesting they couldn't get it together to run TAF playfields again is laughable.
People need to step away from their computers.

#135 9 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

I really hope that they concentrate more on parts and possibly bringing games like Kingpin and Wizard Block to fruition, rather than remaking games, but I suspect they will do whatever makes the most business sense.
Whatever path they choose, after all the squabbling that has gone on over the past 10 years between the rights holders, can only be good to have them all in the hands of someone who has a proven track record of being able to deliver.

Here is another vote for parts, parts and more parts.

#136 9 years ago

Another vote for reasonably priced parts. As I've stated in the past, back in the gold rush supply stores made the money not so much all the miners panning for gold. Lower risk in parts.

Now, what would be interesting is PPS cutting a deal with SkitB, PROC and JPOP to be the design teams. PROC gang could add new code to existing titles and even possibly retheme some designs. And JPOP could add credibility to the design arm of PPS - if they went down this path.

The strategy for PPS building or remaking any game should be as a vehicle for selling parts. Enable all the new boutiques to build games, so long as you are the parts king. All happy in pinball world - so long as prices for said parts remain reasonable.

#137 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

PPS is remaking MM so suggesting they couldn't get it together to run TAF playfields again is laughable.
People need to step away from their computers.

IPB had a 10 year license on Addams and IPB is now owned by Matt aka PPS so therefore PPS now has a license for Addams Family is how I read it??

#138 9 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

Exactly. The Capcom "ASIC". The last I had heard was that the "code" HAD been read off the chip, BUT it isn't useable because the code that is on the chip has gone through a special compiler specifically for that chip and can't be rewritten onto other more modern chips (you actually need the original (pre-compiler) source code which Gene doesn't have).
Whether that code could be written onto the same chip or not is pretty much irrelevant as those chips are long gone and done on older wafer technology that isn't available anymore (meaning, you aren't going to find enough of them or cheap enough to make another run of games).
Obviously a software workaround exists for PinMame, so it seems like it'd be feasible to write new hardware code (based on whatever they did) for a more modern chip. I agree that someone like Ed would probably be able to do this.
There is also obsolete chips in the audio board which would also need to be dealt with in order to do another run of "original" hardware. GIven what I've seen of MMr, doesn't seem like that would be the route to go anyway.
FWIW.

I think the asic was cracked as Mark Coldebella was on Genes Creditors List

#139 9 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

IPB had a 10 year license on Addams and IPB is now owned by Matt aka PPS so therefore PPS now has a license for Addams Family is how I read it??

My understanding was that the 10 year liscence is now expired and there were difficulties with reaquiring. I am guessing those difficulties were Gene??? Maybe now with PPS being the sole owner it will get done. I would think anyone is smart enough to know that TAF is the number 1 game in need of new pfs so Rick will likely follow that money.

#140 9 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

Post say majority, not all of IPB assests

Actually it doesn't say that. It says "the majority of the assets from the bankruptcy estate of Gene Cunningham. Matt Christiano, PPS chairman, also acquired Illinois Pinball, Inc." If something was IPB property, PPS owns it. They just didn't get everything Gene (the individual) owns.

#141 9 years ago

And Sears will start to sell the small home pins as well! LOL

#142 9 years ago

Lets make a Capcom Red Line Fever

#143 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

My understanding was that the 10 year liscence is now expired and there were difficulties with reaquiring. I am guessing those difficulties were Gene??? Maybe now with PPS being the sole owner it will get done. I would think anyone is smart enough to know that TAF is the number 1 game in need of new pfs so Rick will likely follow that money.

No it expires in 2015

#144 9 years ago

No it expires in 2015

'

Good news for TAF owners. Hopefully Rick can get the job done quickly, unlike the other big parts guys overseas.

Would like to get a nice new translite also, so hopefully those get done.

#145 9 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Now, what would be interesting is PPS cutting a deal with SkitB, PROC and JPOP to be the design teams. PROC gang could add new code to existing titles and even possibly retheme some designs. And JPOP could add credibility to the design arm of PPS - if they went down this path.

Like their 2.0 announcement at TPF ?

LTG : )™

#146 9 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Another vote for reasonably priced parts. As I've stated in the past, back in the gold rush supply stores made the money not so much all the miners panning for gold. Lower risk in parts.
The strategy for PPS building or remaking any game should be as a vehicle for selling parts. Enable all the new boutiques to build games, so long as you are the parts king. All happy in pinball world - so long as prices for said parts remain reasonable.

This would be great if PPS, JPOP, and most of the WPC V2.0 games were using PROC, they're not, they're using a PROC knock-off. All credibility is out the door with that IMHO.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#147 9 years ago

No it expires in 2015

Do you know that the licensing agreement is transferable? Have you seen Gene's contract with Paramount? This thread is nothing but speculation on things only Rick, Matt, Gene, and anyone else who has seen the contracts can know. Heck, maybe they'll make a hover pin with hologram Tupac.

#148 9 years ago

This is awesome news!

#149 9 years ago
Quoted from pinlynx:

Do you know that the licensing agreement is transferable? Have you seen Gene's contract with Paramount? This thread is nothing but speculation on things only Rick, Matt, Gene, and anyone else who has seen the contracts can know. Heck, maybe they'll make a hover pin with hologram Tupac.

Just like MM remake was just speculation. This constant talk about things wont happen is getting old. If there is money to be made its probably happening.

#150 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

If there is money to be made its probably happening.

Exactly.

No smart businessman is going to leave money on the table.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 24.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 731 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-illinois-pinball-ipb-cunningham-assets-acquired/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.