th-1-187.jpeg
th-584.jpeg
image.jpg
image-298.jpg
fa5a6f77803a2e30831f95ead6615d4f.jpg
om nom nom.JPG
image.jpg
CIMG5248.JPG
There are 731 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 15.
#701 9 years ago

I prefer everybody else use the honor system.

Kim

#702 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Actually... What about telepresence. So you have a webcam on the game, a way to export the dmd displat, solenoids on flipped buttons and you can let someone else play your real pinball game from their iPad.

Well that's...kinda weird.

#703 9 years ago

Kim

#704 9 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Kim

That would give you an advantage.

LTG : )™

#705 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's pointless. No two machines will ever play the same. Forget the honor system, even if people try and be fair it's just an exercise in futility. That's the beauty of pinball, it's why the game isn't a video game.
I mean if you want to pitch them the same, level them, use all the same rubbers, wax them at the same time, and just pretend all the other factors don't exist then knock yourself out, but for me it would be a waste of time. Different machines play differently. Could be anything, a more sensitive drop target, a little divot, whatever.

I don't think it would matter much how games are set up. People compete over the internet all the time on computer games. Your opponent may have some super special controller that gives them an edge but in the end, people find others to compete with that are on a similar level.

I can envision playing pinball in real time against an opponent over the internet where the gameplay is interactive, ie. you can steal ball locks, reset their drop target, etc..Sort of like a super Joust.

Perhaps there could be a choice to play cooperatively, working together to advance in the game rather than against each other.

#706 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

That would give you an advantage.
LTG : )™

I added a smiley face just for you Lloydster.

Kim

#707 9 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I don't think it would matter much how games are set up. People compete over the internet all the time on computer games.

Digital games, not even remotely the same.

Anyways, people seem to be into this and not care about the games playing differently, so why not just sit your webcam next to your game and challenge your buddy to play? Do it right now, don't need anything special beyond a camera. See how you like it.

#708 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's pointless. No two machines will ever play the same. Forget the honor system, even if people try and be fair it's just an exercise in futility. That's the beauty of pinball, it's why the game isn't a video game.
I mean if you want to pitch them the same, level them, use all the same rubbers, wax them at the same time, and just pretend all the other factors don't exist then knock yourself out, but for me it would be a waste of time. Different machines play differently. Could be anything, a more sensitive drop target, a little divot, whatever.

Would it be 100% equal? No, never. Doesn't mean it wouldn't be fun to play against a friend without having to leave the wife and kids for the night.

#709 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Actually... What about telepresence. So you have a webcam on the game, a way to export the dmd displat, solenoids on flipped buttons and you can let someone else play your real pinball game from their iPad. Now that would be cool.. Virtual arcades. Or, basically the pinball arcade app with real games instead of simulations.

Hmm that is actually a really sweet idea. In execution it would absolutely suck gameplay-wise because of lag, but it would be a neat novelty. (Lag would be huge because you have to encode video and sound and then transmit it over the internet, and then you also have to wait for the remote user's input to arrive from their location. It'd be a second or more of delay under ideal circumstances)

#710 9 years ago

yeah there are some technical challenges with this.

#711 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Doesn't mean it wouldn't be fun to play against a friend without having to leave the wife and kids for the night.

I just don't see how this could remotely resemble playing pinball against a friend who isn't there.

This isn't a video game we are talking about. 99% of the fun in playing pinball with a friend is being there in person and seeing the sweet ball saves and how they are accomplished, the strategy the other player uses, and feeling the tension in the room build as they get closer to the wizard mode, or as they get closer to passing your score on their last ball etc., while yelling at each other while it's happening.

Like Aurich said, why not just set up your webcam next to your pin and hook up with your friend and see how exciting it is (or isn't)?

#712 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Digital games, not even remotely the same.
Anyways, people seem to be into this and not care about the games playing differently, so why not just sit your webcam next to your game and challenge your buddy to play? Do it right now, don't need anything special beyond a camera. See how you like it.

I think we're talking about two different things. You're thinking of the normal head to head competition where players take turns. If that were the case, I agree with you.

I'm talking about playing against someone simultaneously where what you do affects the other player in real time. It would certainly require a lot of additional coding but I think it could be possible. To start, the games could sync up and then auto-launch the balls at the same time.

#713 9 years ago

It's not like 'multiplayer' is some new concept in gaming. There's a good reason why pinball has never and will never be a multiplayer game. Physical pinball remains a single player game and always will be. Four players? Sure, one at a time. That's single player pinball. The only way pinball will ever be multiplayer is when you and a buddy each take one flipper. It's a pretty safe bet that we won't have a pairs category in tournaments any time soon, pinball is a single player experience. Everyone else is a spectator until it's their 'turn' to play.

#714 9 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

It's not like 'multiplayer' is some new concept in gaming. There's a good reason why pinball has never and will never be a multiplayer game. Physical pinball remains a single player game and always will be. Four players? Sure, one at a time. That's single player pinball. The only way pinball will ever be multiplayer is when you and a buddy each take one flipper. It's a pretty safe bet that we won't have a pairs category in tournaments any time soon, pinball is a single player experience. Everyone else is a spectator until it's their 'turn' to play.

Have you ever played a Williams Joust two player machine?

#715 9 years ago

Joust . Capcom Flipper Football . Total Recall . I mean they have tried.

#716 9 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

Joust . Capcom Flipper Football . Total Recall . I mean they have tried.

Might be a stupid idea and not worth the effort but I think the most fun I've had in gaming is when a machine (or machines) provides an arena for head to head competition (as opposed to player against machine to get highest score).

I think NBA fastbreak did something similar with two machines that were linked with a cable. Seems like with internet connectivity this could be possible with machines in remote locations and could be very fun with creative software.

#717 9 years ago

At every launch party that I have been to, there have been multiple machines, brand-new from the factory, set up in the same way by the same person and they always play markedly different.

This is also why comparing high scores in pinball is relatively pointless as well.

For certain games, doing a head-to-head system like on NBA would be interesting. This could actually work with a game like Transformers (Autobots vs. Decepticons).

I do like the idea of a camera in the backbox where there is a share system to Twitch or Youtube like on Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

#718 9 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Might be a stupid idea and not worth the effort but I think the most fun I've had in gaming is when a machine (or machines) provides an arena for head to head competition (as opposed to player against machine to get highest score).
I think NBA Fastbreak did something similar with two machines that were linked with a cable. Seems like with internet connectivity this could be possible with machines in remote locations and could be very fun with creative software.

has anyone played two NBA Fastbreaks linked up? I'd love to - is there a half time or sometime when you can switch machines so it makes it somewhat more fair in case one machine is set tougher than the other?

#719 9 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I'm talking about playing against someone simultaneously where what you do affects the other player in real time. It would certainly require a lot of additional coding but I think it could be possible. To start, the games could sync up and then auto-launch the balls at the same time.

Ah. So just to use an example, like playing two player Tetris, where you're each stacking your own blocks, but when you finish a row you can send garbage pieces to the other player's screen.

I guess I could see that working. Honestly I'd rather my pinball didn't need to be networked. I don't even need wifi updates (like WOZ was supposedly going to get?) keep it simple, off the network, easy, and cheaper.

#720 9 years ago

What would be fun would be two games in which communication would affect gameplay. For example, if you start a mode on game #1, it also starts on game #2... and ends whenever the first player completes it. If super jackpot is available only once during multiball, first player to get it would inactivate it for both pins!

#721 9 years ago

You could steal the other player's locked balls if he drains (just like if you were playing in the same room).

#722 9 years ago

Needs a microphone so you can hear the other guy cussing.

Kim

#724 9 years ago

A few things to address ...

1) regarding original MM pricing ... been offered 8500+ for mine several times, sight unseen. Seems pretty constant.
2) regarding other game pricing ... was offered 6500 for scared stiff just this past weekend.
3) regarding hand assembled games playing differently ... I used to work at a major distributor. Unboxed, setup, tested, and played dozens of examples of every single title from 1995 through 2003 from both WMS/Bly and Sega/Stern. Every single game, of every single title, from every manufacturer, played a little differently. Every single one.

1 month later
#725 9 years ago

well, the "illinois pinball" building and skating rink are officially being auctioned off

http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionview.cgi?lid=2194709&kwd=pinball&zip=60156&category=0

Commercial Property At Public Auction

1704 & 1804 South Morris

Bloomington IL.

SATURDAY AUGUST 30th AT 12 NOON

Open for Inspection Sunday August 10th from 1:00 to 4:00 PM

Any other time by appointment only

2 commercial buildings on one parcel of land consisting of 2.34 acres, Frontage 450 ft. Zoned B-1 highway business. The two buildings as listed in the above said order.

1704 S.Morris = Formerly Skate N’ Place skating rink, built in 1973, building has approximately 18,016 sq.ft., has a poured concrete foundation w/masonary block walls, has hard wood skating floor w/ceiling fixtures, c/a, standing furnace & hanging heaters, Private rest room, and public rest rooms, carpeted and vinyl floors.

1804 S. Morris = Built in 1991, Formerly IL. Pinball a building with an office area an office and a work shop and plenty of storage area, has a poured concrete foundation with masonary block walls, 3 rest rooms, gas forced air furnace, with central and window a/c, one 8ft. drive in over head door, one 6 ft. over head door, one loading dock w/6ft.over head door, commercial glass entry doors

Taxes on parcel and buildgs.$16,071.68

#726 9 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

well, the "illinois pinball" building and skating rink are officially being auctioned off
http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionview.cgi?lid=2194709&kwd=pinball&zip=60156&category=0
Commercial Property At Public Auction
1704 & 1804 South Morris
Bloomington IL.
SATURDAY AUGUST 30th AT 12 NOON
Open for Inspection Sunday August 10th from 1:00 to 4:00 PM
Any other time by appointment only
2 commercial buildings on one parcel of land consisting of 2.34 acres, Frontage 450 ft. Zoned B-1 highway business. The two buildings as listed in the above said order.
1704 S.Morris = Formerly Skate N’ Place skating rink, built in 1973, building has approximately 18,016 sq.ft., has a poured concrete foundation w/masonary block walls, has hard wood skating floor w/ceiling fixtures, c/a, standing furnace & hanging heaters, Private rest room, and public rest rooms, carpeted and vinyl floors.
1804 S. Morris = Built in 1991, Formerly IL. Pinball a building with an office area an office and a work shop and plenty of storage area, has a poured concrete foundation with masonary block walls, 3 rest rooms, gas forced air furnace, with central and window a/c, one 8ft. drive in over head door, one 6 ft. over head door, one loading dock w/6ft.over head door, commercial glass entry doors
Taxes on parcel and buildgs.$16,071.68

R.I.P Illinois Pinball Co.

#727 9 years ago

I wonder if there was any coin mechs in the Illinois assets?

#728 9 years ago

Has anybody heard from Gene? How's he doing?

#729 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I wonder if there was any coin mechs in the Illinois assets?

Probably hundreds. Problem is they are the type that need the special screw/tit things that are hard to come by.

#730 9 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

screw/tit things

#731 9 years ago

Shame to have this happen as a result of purported mismanagement. It's all up to PPS and BAA now..........go, Rick!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
30,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Victoria, BC
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 29.95
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
There are 731 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-illinois-pinball-ipb-cunningham-assets-acquired/page/15 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.