(Topic ID: 275641)

ANN: I'm Selling 15 years of My Keeper Playfields

By KevinCPR

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

00559645-DEAB-47BF-926C-6CD7938316FB (resized).jpeg
    B602C8AB-37C0-4F96-9ADF-390DE6704C90 (resized).jpeg
    50EBDE64-C078-4087-BDA1-F78F0C9BD2E9 (resized).jpeg
    829f2.jpg
    7D2AF198-379D-4D32-9294-34386493432E (resized).jpeg
    fathompf00.jpg
    screen-capture-12 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20200822-075247_eBay (resized).jpg
    9947EC8F-0884-472F-B2E8-5C3DBE289F54 (resized).png
    There are 143 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 3 years ago
    Quoted from KevinCPR:

Exactly. Any personal anecdotes related to other machines from the same era holding their colors, has nothing to do with what may happen to a particular individual title on it's own. Heck, even if the Bally games produced just before Fathom, and right after Fathom never color shifted one bit. Not the point. That isn't evidence Fathom didn't. Because Fathom certainly DID. And badly.
    I think it has to do with the specific blue pigments at the time, used in those particular blue mixes. Right at the same time, Stern's SEA WITCH (copycat of Fathom) suffered the *exact same* color shifts to it's blues. Widely seen today, almost all Sea Witch's suffer from it. You can go back to the Stern flyer on those too. Same blue themed starting point. Same issue. Same 40 years of color shifts to gross greens, seafoams, and teals on the playfield - while the plastics, glass, cabinet, etc all essentially retained their blues. However, there are some decent survived Sea Witch playfield examples today that still lean to the blue scheme. Even looking at IPDB pictures, or Googling "Stern Sea Witch playfield" the degree of color shifts is far and wide.

I have an original Fathom I bought in 1982. The playfield is pretty close to the same blue that the last CPR repro has. Same goes for the cabinet colors. Everyone paints the cabs,copying colors that are aged and faded. Fathom’s color scheme was a dark blue with a baby blue and a neon green on the cab.

#102 3 years ago
    50EBDE64-C078-4087-BDA1-F78F0C9BD2E9 (resized).jpeg50EBDE64-C078-4087-BDA1-F78F0C9BD2E9 (resized).jpeg
    #103 3 years ago

Same goes for Eight Ball deluxe cabs. The color was never originally the heavy green tinted cream color in the head. The paint they used aged very poorly into that color. It was originally an off white. Look at the flyers. Same as the playfields. Some say they were cream colored white in the white sections of the playfield. The first ones in 1981 were pure white. The Bally second run which most ended up on the later versions were an antique white. That’s why all the nos playfields you have seen are antique white. The later games didn’t sell as much so extra playfields were produced.

#104 3 years ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

[quoted image]

Let’s see the cab colors!

#105 3 years ago

Here is that later EBD nos playfield

B602C8AB-37C0-4F96-9ADF-390DE6704C90 (resized).jpegB602C8AB-37C0-4F96-9ADF-390DE6704C90 (resized).jpeg
    #106 3 years ago

How you know is the hole is not cut out on the top right of the playfield

#107 3 years ago
    00559645-DEAB-47BF-926C-6CD7938316FB (resized).jpeg00559645-DEAB-47BF-926C-6CD7938316FB (resized).jpeg
    #108 3 years ago

Kevin, you sure you want to sale these? I mean what happens when you open up the CPR Museum?

#109 3 years ago

He shouldn’t but don’t worry I have a few of the classics. Others do too. The original silk screened playfields are incomparable.

#110 3 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Can buyers get the standard $100 bundle plastic sets with a PF purchase? You can add the cost to shipping charge.

Yes, I'm going to allow standard bundling for those who request it.

#112 3 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

Diner $1395. Dammit.

Highest so far. Maybe fathom beats it

#113 3 years ago

Pathetic earthlings bid it to 1570
    Being uncut does
    Seem unique

#114 3 years ago
    Quoted from KevinCPR:

Yes, I'm going to allow standard bundling for those who request it.

I had the high bid on cyclone. I’m in for the plastic bundle also. Message sent via eBay

#115 3 years ago

Looks like all sold, most with multiple bids? Seems like a successful auction to me.

#116 3 years ago

Damn, just realized there was an NOS clear coated EBD up there - didnt go too high either.

#117 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Damn, just realized there was an NOS clear coated EBD up there - didnt go too high either.

I was thinking of bidding on that and I don't even own an EBD!

#118 3 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I was thinking of bidding on that and I don't even own an EBD!

Lol, had i known I would have bid also even tho I don’t own it. Lucky we didn’t - for the winners sake.

#119 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Lol, had i known I would have bid also even tho I don’t own it. Lucky we didn’t - for the winners sake.

Arh so no EBD in your recent purchases

Did you buy any of the PFs??

#120 3 years ago

Congrats on the sales!

#121 3 years ago

Guess I’m back to waiting for a CPR playboy re-run again

#122 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Looks like all sold, most with multiple bids? Seems like a successful auction to me.

Not all sold. I can think of Taxi, Whirlwind and Fish Tales that did not sell off the top of my head.

#123 3 years ago

I was high bid on Diner all week, until less that one minute before the end, and a pretty high max bid. Not high enough. My first real bid on Ebay. I learned a cruel, but invaluable lesson today.

#124 3 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

I was high bid on Diner all week, until less that one minute before the end, and a pretty high max bid. Not high enough. My first real bid on Ebay. I learned a cruel, but invaluable lesson today.

lesson is NEVER bod on ebay without a sniper account.

#125 3 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

lesson is NEVER bod on ebay without a sniper account.

how does that work? if my sniper account outbids everyone, I still have to pay that highest bid. Why wouldn't I just put that as my hidden Max Bid with my own normal account? Whoever sniped me still has to pay $1395, which is more than I was willing to pay.

#126 3 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

how does that work? if my sniper account outbids everyone, I still have to pay that highest bid. Why wouldn't I just put that as my hidden Max Bid with my own normal account? Whoever sniped me still has to pay $1495, which is more than I was willing to pay.

Right, but if you’d bid your highest bid at the last second (through software) there’s a chance the winner wouldn’t have got their winning bid in - people’s “most I’ll pay” number often changes over the course of an auction.

#127 3 years ago
    Quoted from loren3233:

Not all sold. I can think of Taxi, Whirlwind and Fish Tales that did not sell off the top of my head.

Whoops, I was way off on that one! Ran my search wrong.

#128 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Right, but if you’d bid your highest bid at the last second (through software) there’s a chance the winner wouldn’t have got their winning bid in - people’s “most I’ll pay” number often changes over the course of an auction.

If you saw the way the numbers rolled in, it was clearly predetermined. IMHO. It was very Blackbox-style. I manually leapfrogged my highest bid w 15 seconds left, got it in, appears on the tape after his beat mine, and then the winner's highest bid leapfrogged me by over $200 at the 1sec mark. It was clearly a "fuck y'all pikers, get outta my way!" bid put in in case anyone played hardball.

#129 3 years ago

I honestly don’t understand some of the high bids on these, but very glad for Kevin on these and well deserved. Personally, I think the silk screen vs. newtech is a lot of grognard hype, especially on anything that is more cartoon based art (diner really jumps out here for me). That’s why my bid was basically equal to what I can get a new cpr for.

#130 3 years ago

** UPDATE **

11 did not sell out of the 40. So I guess my estimated opening bids were too high on those. They all had lots of Watchers, and the Refresh activity was crazy in the last minute on all of them. But nobody stepped in. Which shocks me a bit. You can't get these titles anywhere else, except some which are current digital print versions of course - for more money. (???)

Anyway, a few of the Unsolds are going via private sales to guys contacting me with direct offers after the auctions closed. I'm finishing up with them today.

The rest go back up as Relists tonight 8pm PST ... for another crack... 5-day run... lowered the opening bids, and I'll let the bidders decide again.

I don't want any of these left, so even if the highest bidder is discovered to be a lower bid in order to happen, I just have to accept that.

#131 3 years ago
    Quoted from KevinCPR:

But nobody stepped in. Which shocks me a bit. You can't get these titles anywhere else, except some which are current digital print versions of course - for more money. (???)

Kevin, thank you for putting these up for sale as it is a great opportunity for some.

As you mentioned in the ads, all sales are final as these are one of a kind and to take a close look at the play fields because all are not the "gold" standard or rated by CPR. I think there may have been some hesitation from some from purchasing as there were a few play fields that appeared they had some issues over inserts on a few I looked at closely. Some collectors want no blemish on a play field and some do not mind depending on their intentions for a restore, as you are well aware of.

Again, great opportunity and a good conversation piece for sure. Thank you for putting your personal collection up for the rest of us to have a chance at a piece of history. Good Luck on the upcoming bid process.

#132 3 years ago

Every early Bally solid state title sold, many for the price of an unrestored working game or clean project. Shows the lasting interest in those games.

#133 3 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

Yep. You just learned an EBay lesson

Free market bidding

Free to make good bids or stupid bids

And Kevin, If they didn’t sell then you priced them too high despite your bias

#134 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Yep. You just learned an EBay lesson
    Free market bidding

Only time worth bidding on anything on Ebay is in the last 5 seconds as mentioned. I wish the word would spread. It's especially silly when someone places a bid and removes the BIN option. Half the time it goes for more than the BIN initially was on stuff I'm intersted in.

#135 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I don't understand why any bid would be stupid? If a bidder wants to pay what they think it's worth, more power to them. If you have the $$ and want that item, go for it. That's the definition of an "auction". Many items sell for way more than I'd pay all the time on eBay. But the last of the last silkscreened PF's except those in private hands? What did you expect? Definite market as proven.

#136 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Exactly. I agree. So the Re-Lists launching at 8pm PST tonight are all started at a mere $500 (one for $600) and let the chips fall where they may. That's 2005 playfield prices. LOL "Everything MUST go" hee hee

I do find it strange that even at $100-$200 less than current digital playfields, people didn't seem to understand the value of some of the last silkscreened repro's that will ever go up for sale, of these titles. Other than that, yes, I understand sometimes people see little things in the inspection photos they don't like... but that pattern wasn't entirely consistent, because some of the Unsolds were flawless or near flawless. While some of the highest bids were on playfields that had little findable flaws. So who knows. Sometimes the specific audience of potential paying bidders for those titles just weren't aware or involved in the last 7 days. It's not like everybody in the pinball world is aware. Even with Watchers, it doesn't guarantee you've got the right people, with the right desires, and the right wallet.

Several of the Unsolds are now sold privately, from direct offers in the last 24 hours. So I think it's down to only 7 Re-Lists now. Not bad, out of 40 to start. I'm pretty happy, and these are all going to live out their lives with owners that will likely use them in a game. That's where they belong. Going to be some nice games come from these gems.

#137 3 years ago
    Quoted from KevinCPR:

I'm pretty happy, and these are all going to live out their lives with owners that will likely use them in a game

That's is the point of why CPR went into business in the first place, Yes?

#138 3 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

That's is the point of why CPR went into business in the first place, Yes?

Yes. And my playfield wall-hanger hoarding for 15 years pretty much kept 40 games from being done. Because I wasn't doing anything with them. It was fun to have that wow-factor when people visited... it was even a wow-factor for me to see them all over the house for years... but it wears thin after a decade or more... time to wake up and smell the coffee

UPDATE: more private sales came through even in the last hour or two... so it's only 5 Re-Lists now...

#139 3 years ago

If you decide to let F2k go, pm me. I’ve been hoping for a run on that one!

#140 3 years ago

What’s the last 5 left? I’m in the market for a taxi playfield

#141 3 years ago

Nevermind I found them on eBay

#142 3 years ago

I’m shocked that Bad cats didn’t sell yet. Any idea why??

#143 3 years ago
    Quoted from Clnilsen:

I’m shocked that Bad cats didn’t sell yet. Any idea why??

No multiball???

There are 143 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-i-m-selling-15-years-of-my-keeper-playfields/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.