(Topic ID: 270920)

ANN: CENTAUR COLOR @ CPR - Stunning or Sacrilege?

By KevinCPR

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 130 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by thierryv
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ECCF49DE-2AB8-4E63-B1C8-4C6A6EAC0766 (resized).jpeg
F5ADAA19-90F8-44A9-9831-6280718B5818 (resized).jpeg
744E82D1-5801-4877-A4B4-59ABAE35F0CB (resized).jpeg
D3E2B7AF-DFB3-49F9-8229-42B57EAE6D64 (resized).jpeg
E30E87EE-90A7-4005-B9D3-2F9A593B2DA7 (resized).jpeg
7F87BF73-05B3-4CC5-BD07-6EA175360EB0 (resized).jpeg
020EEBB6-A54C-43C6-BBF5-F21305546752 (resized).jpeg
shrekira-shakira-shrek-meme (resized).jpg
IMG_10471.jpg
IMG_10481.jpg
Shrektaur 2.jpg
Orcs.jpg
oIlTErK.jpg
kjrQPDv.jpg
370-C.png
Prog_i (resized).png
There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 3 years ago

ANNOUNCEMENT

Classic Playfield Reproductions
"CENTAUR COLOR" PLAYFIELDS and Optional Matching BACKGLASS - Now Taking Orders

This release may be divisive, as for some it will be 'treading on holy ground'. However, it was a personal dream of mine since we began in 2004 to produce an alternate version of Bally Centaur that was in full color. I recall we even offered the concept as an informal preorder way back in 2006 or so, which collected many names. The project was canned in the final analysis, due to the monumental task of trying to create and merge a stack of new films into the original Bally film set... it was going to take a ton of razorblading and rubylith film work, with no final preview of what the finished layout would look like until it was actually silkscreened. With all the bigger playfield projects and runs breathing down our neck at the time, focus had to turn away from the niche-dreams, and onto more practical production to keep us afloat. So Centaur Color was ignored and forgotten.

Here we are 14 years later, and so much has changed. Digital printing has opened up the doors to digital layouts - so no more need to do physical analog film work. After working with (and printing) the Paul Faris color masterpiece of Space Invaders, I got kickstarted into thinking about Centaur Color again. Took a couple months to really chew on the layout, starting with the master blackline from the original Bally film. Using the Faris color palette from Space Invaders, plus some more custom colors, work began on building all the new layers. Revision after revision, things could be previewed by doing master prints to MDF sample panels, printed in actual final inks, to see the ongoing results. Once deemed final, a single print was made to an actual Centaur whitewood, and clearcoated. So now we have a working prototype, with artwork masters standing by - so it's time to show it to the hobby.

So we have a small batch of Centaur whitewoods sitting ready. Centaur Color is up for taking orders on our site. Each paid order will invoke one of those whitewoods to become a Centaur Color custom playfield. If we end up with whitewoods left over, they will simply become standard Centaur playfields later on. So no big deal, or waste of resources. If these whitewoods sell out, then we'll simply make more whitewoods later. The goal being, both versions will be periodically available across time - but Centaur Color will be limited to only a few whitewoods at a time. Unlike standard Centaurs, we won't print Centaur Color playfields unless they are paid for. Centaur Color is going to be a one-at-a-time custom playfield, for only those who buy them. We'll only take orders periodically, when allocated whitewoods are poised and ready - while supplies last, each time.

So take a look at the extensive photo gallery (don't forget to Zoom), plus our close-up video looking over the entire playfield surface. Both are found on the Centaur Color page at our web site. I'll add some pix below, just to mirror a few here.

Would love to hear opinions on this playfield. Stunning or sacrilege? We have no doubt opinions are going to vary wildly on this. With customisation being the rage right now, considering people are breaking norms to turn (examples) Addams Family or Twilight Zone into black & white... some guys are going to love to create rare and individual games, which stand out among the normies. So in 2050, who are going to be the owners of rare Centaur Color machines, with the cool backstory about "that time in 2020" when these playfields and backglasses were available... we shall see

KEVIN
Classic Playfield Reproductions
http://www.classicplayfields.com

IMG_6540.jpgIMG_6540.jpgIMG_6541.jpgIMG_6541.jpgIMG_6542.jpgIMG_6542.jpgIMG_6543.jpgIMG_6543.jpg

#2 3 years ago

Wha......what?

#3 3 years ago

Do you have a single picture of the whole playfield? It'll be a lot easier to evaluate when you can take it all in at once.

#4 3 years ago

It's on their site but...

IMG_6531 (resized).jpgIMG_6531 (resized).jpg
#5 3 years ago

Most Centaurs I've seen are color. Well sort of; they have yellowed significantly. I think I prefer the original over the colored version.

#6 3 years ago

I do want to say I like it a LOT, but I'm just mulling over whether or not I really have 950 bucks (including shipping there) to drop right now on one, especially given that I don't own a Centaur, have never owned a Centaur, and doesn't look like I'll be owning a Centaur anytime soon... There's just not really any other playfield this could be done with. Anything can be made into black and white, but I don't know of anything BUT Centaur that's....just black and white to start with. I really hope this project pans out for you guys regardless of if I end up trying to get one or not, because I love crazy stuff when it comes to redoing playfield art.

Not sure how many there were set up on the site to start with, but I can tell one sold while I was at lunch.

#7 3 years ago

I really like the concept of this.
The color choices are not quite my taste because some are throwing off the symmetry of the art but with some color changes during a cabinet repaint and some colored plastics you could definitely pull a total package together with it and make something very unique.

#8 3 years ago

how about using all that colour and making a nine ball playfield? There is huge demand for them!

#9 3 years ago

Since you asked for opinions:

I prefer the black and white version. It is iconic.

Now, if somebody never knew about the existence of the original black and white art, and this was the first time seeing the playfield, then yes, this is pretty cool.

Sure, modding is the rage, but CENTAUR is killer as it sits. I don’t think the color *improves* it.

Best of success on the project

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Do you have a single picture of the whole playfield? It'll be a lot easier to evaluate when you can take it all in at once.

Beeter yet a complete machine!

#11 3 years ago

I’d do color if I get another centaur someday. Match it w a color cab!
Why not???

#12 3 years ago

Wow. I've owned my Centaur for 10 years and looking at Kevin's artwork above I'm seeing things now that I've never noticed in all the time I've had and played mine. I think that's a plus?

Not sure if I'd pull the trigger because I already have a CPR Centaur playfield, mirrored backglass and matching plastics too which I've been holding onto for a rainy day.

Should I ask them if they'll do an exchange? (as if)

#13 3 years ago

Well, I’ll chime in since you asked for opinions:

It looks interesting. The colors show some nice detail. I applaud the effort that went into it.

But, here’s where it goes downhill: it looks like colors were just randomly thrown around. It would make this game look like clown puke, without turning it on. I can only imagine the stupid color leds that would litter the pf for anyone that installed this.

This is not what Centaur is about. It’s B&W. That’s what makes this game iconic.

Again, very nice effort. No disrespect. But it’s just not right.

In the meantime, I’ll be waiting patiently for the regular pf, from CPR.

#14 3 years ago

yuck
Centaur is a standout in any collection due to its back and white art

Did not like it in 2004, don't like it now

#16 3 years ago

Sacrilege for sure, but the current trend of people washing out their machines in the shittiest colors possible I don't blame you.

For sure looks like shit, but that's what the folks want these days si good luck.
Now with any CPR product, in going to my PC to looks for missing text etc
EDIT: Looks clean

EDIT2: for me the Centaur color himself is the real crime...makes him look like a little bitch.

#17 3 years ago

Yeah, not for me either. Looks interesting, but I’d have to wrap my head around the whole concept for a while.

Keep up the the great work.

#18 3 years ago

Nope!

#19 3 years ago

Since u asked, I'm a nope.
But, the color led folks will be all over it.
Probably.

#20 3 years ago

I love it Babee!!!! I think it makes the art pop. I am traditionally a purist, not big on mods , want to keep games like you would see them in their original condition like they just rolled off the line. This looks so well done that if I had a Centaur I think I'd go color.

#21 3 years ago

I can appreciate the effort to pull this off, and while I’m sure some will like it, to me centaur is masterpiece, which makes this sacrilege.

Very happy with my black and white CPR centaur playfield.

#23 3 years ago

I love CPR.

Sacrilege. (but not the good kind)

-mof

#24 3 years ago

Remember when you were a kid in a diner, and they'd give you those black and white paper placemats with a drawing on there, and they didn't give you a full set of crayons, and you'd start them and not finish, because the food came?

-mof

#25 3 years ago

It's always good to have a choice, but the colored PF would not be mine.

#26 3 years ago

I also appreciate the little touches that CPR offers like "white shooter lane" or not -- compared the original. Those types of options are cool.
-mof

#27 3 years ago

I dig the color

#28 3 years ago

Honestly it's mainly the color of the Centaur and the lady's hair that doesn't do it for me.

Centaur <> Ogre so green isn't right. I mean he's half motorcycle. He has to be bad-ass looking even if colorized.

#29 3 years ago

It's Glenn Misfits vs New Misfits

Whees Gryzz when I need him

#30 3 years ago

Kevin, why not offer clear inserts as well?
that way people could use what ever colored LEDs to complete the colorization

#31 3 years ago

Seeing a machine put together with this would be a curiosity, but ultimately I just don't think it's a very interesting project. Taking the thing that makes Centaur so unique and striking and stripping it away to make it like any other game, what's the point?

Even if the end result looks fine, and it does, it doesn't hold any appeal because of what it takes away. You might as well look at a Gorgar or something instead.

Still, I'm glad CPR has the ability to play with stuff like this now. I'm all for experimenting. But since you're asking for feedback I can't say I'm a fan of this idea.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I also appreciate the little touches that CPR offers like "white shooter lane" or not compared the original. Those types of options are cool.
-mof

That is exactly what I was thinking and is probably as far as I would go. The white “no wood” playfield was super cool and I’m still kicking myself for not buying one.

I like the colorizing, but I agree with HEP, some of the color choices are too much.

Centaur is striking as a black and white playfield with a little red thrown in. I bought a beautiful CPR from the 2nd run to replace my yellowed original.

#33 3 years ago

Not a fan of the color. Love the black, red and white original.

#34 3 years ago

Cool idea. Poor execution.

Honestly I would love the idea of seeing centaur in color, just not these colors and in this sort of way.

Any chance since you can print one offs of letting someone colorize it professionally and then print? I have a buddy that is a really good artist and often takes great B&W stuff and makes it even better with colorizing.

#35 3 years ago

#36 3 years ago

I wonder what the original Centaur team would think, doing it in black and white was obviously a very specific choice.

#37 3 years ago

I think its beautiful. If youd like to donate a playfield and backglass to me i will gladly buy an original and convert it to color so you can see your dream come to fruition. Just PM me and ill give you my address. Again I think it looks spectacularly beautiful!

#38 3 years ago

I loved the black and white and I love the color, both are great! I appreciate Kevin mixing it up!

#39 3 years ago

I think the color does look really nice, but Centaur’s “it” factor is the fact that it’s black and white. When properly restored, there’s nothing more impressive than the B&W.

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

Since you asked for opinions:
I prefer the black and white version. It is iconic.
Now, if somebody never knew about the existence of the original black and white art, and this was the first time seeing the playfield, then yes, this is pretty cool.
Sure, modding is the rage, but CENTAUR is killer as it sits. I don’t think the color *improves* it.
Best of success on the project

Couldn't have said it better myself. Now it just looks like any other game, the black and white set it apart from anything else that had ever been done either before or after. Leave perfection alone and do Nine Ball like someone else suggested.

John

#41 3 years ago

Get rid of ALL the green. Centaur is perfect as an Edgar Winter/Albino looking
creature.

#42 3 years ago

I think if you remove the green from the monsters, it would look ok. Otherwise, the playfield is unbalanced and looks a bit odd.

Limiting color to highlighting the smaller elements would probably be fine.

[edit]: I ended up doing a quick mock-up without the green on the monsters.

Untitled-1 (resized).pngUntitled-1 (resized).png
#43 3 years ago

Color backglass from the CPR website.

CENTAUR-Colored-Backglass (resized).jpgCENTAUR-Colored-Backglass (resized).jpg
#44 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I think if you remove the green from the monsters, it would look ok. Otherwise, the playfield is unbalanced and looks a bit odd.
Limiting color to highlighting the smaller elements would probably be fine.
[edit]: I ended up doing a quick mock-up without the green on the monsters.
[quoted image]

Agreed! That looks so much better with Centaur being white.

#45 3 years ago

The black and white is a major part of what makes Centaur great. It's like someone took the mood of an early Mario Bava horror film, added some Clive Barker creatures, and gave it an overdose of Road Warrior. There is nothing colorful about it. Even if Paul Faris the man himself somehow says Centaur was intended to be in color, I would still stick with the black n' white.

It's perfect just the way it is. If your stock Centaur isn't good enough, then take your favorite volume and crank up the drugs, just like the old LSD hippie bikers it was made for, yuppie.

#46 3 years ago

I prefer the original centaur art.

#47 3 years ago

I’d love it as just an art print honestly but I couldn’t install that into my machine and feel good about it. I do love that you guys are trying new things and giving the community options. I was fortunate enough to track down one of your original Centaur playfields not long ago, and I loved the all white version you did a few years back. Thanks for providing a way to save so many games.

#48 3 years ago

THIS IS HOT GARBAGE

#49 3 years ago

I think that it's an interesting take on an older design. It will sure make your machine stand out from the other Centaurs!

Upvote from me.

#50 3 years ago

Ill be wating on the standard version, almost pulled the trigger on Illinois repro recently.

Billy likes the Idea of seeing centaur in color some day.
Stand
inbound1171409742506461047.gifinbound1171409742506461047.gif

There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-centaur-color-cpr-stunning-or-sacrilege?hl=monsieurcs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.