(Topic ID: 117448)

Cactus Jack's Silverball Showdown- A PAPA Circuit Event!

By alveolus

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 81 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by DarthXaos
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image-418.jpg
    Dragonfist-0001.JPG
    Atlantis-0002-sm.JPG
    Neptune-001.jpg
    IMG_3684.JPG
    image.jpg
    2015-01-27-CJpinball_36sm-e1422655146583[1].jpg
    2015-01-27-CJpinball_122sm.jpg
    2015-01-27-CJpinball_103sm-e1422655237119[1].jpg
    2015-01-27-CJpinball_79sm.jpg
    SS flyer.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 9 years ago

After registering there was no confirmation, but the page it sent me to was:

http://papa.org/?usp_success=4&post_id=contact

So I assume it went through..lol. I might be double-registered under the same email address and name.

I've never been up to CJ, and Pinballz didn't follow through on their circuit even being match play so I didn't go to that one. I told Bowen that I'd like to see circuit events down this way, so I'm going to do everything I can to make this, especially considering format. I don't get to complain about it then not show up when it happens. I will be ecstatic for this to happen...

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

If anyone in the Austin/Houston/Dallas area wants to carpool from DFW, let me know as I am going. I can easily fit 4 more people in my truck.
    It would be cool to get enough people to rent a tour bus.
    Marcus

Don't give Jared any crazy ideas.

#19 9 years ago

Not that you should turn this into a shill post, but so that people traveling know, CJ's also sells games and project games from time to time too, so you may be able to go home with a pin too!

If I had room, I'd be pulling the Flash project they have had listed on CL for a while lol...

1 week later
    #34 9 years ago
    Quoted from DarthXaos:

Doesn't a first place guarantee you a slot in circuit final, and everyone who qualifies for that gets at least the minimum payout for that? You gotta consider that as being part of the prize

"At the end of the PAPA Circuit season, the top twenty ranked players will be invited, along with the defending champion and anyone else who has won a Circuit event, to compete in the Circuit Final tournament the day before the PAPA World Championships."

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

another dozen or so in the top 100

"Close enough to count"

...I was 106 before the change jacked all my points and dumped me out like 11 places. Other people I know in TX that were ranked higher lost twice that..

#41 9 years ago

This format is far more friendly to casuals than any other format.....you get to play the entire duration of play regardless of actual performance. Other formats you might just be out after a few games...

1 month later
    #49 9 years ago

Just curious but how many people are registered?

#51 9 years ago
    Quoted from DarthXaos:

BTW apparently they have changed it so a winner in a single event is no longer guaranteed a spot, however, now they are taking the top 40 overall point earners instead of the top 20 for Circuit Final for this year.

Well, there went my one chance.. : P Still going.

#53 9 years ago

Cool.

#60 9 years ago

Marcus...you're not taking games up there are you?

I just made hotel reservations and my time off is scheduled...silverball is go!

1 week later
    #75 8 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

4th Place- Brett Emerson

I kicked this guy's ass all weekend and he ended up taking 4th? Awesome.

Robert too for that matter. I love it. Totally beautiful when the underdogs come back and bite ya in the ass. That is FREAKIN' AMAZING.

I ended up 12th overall, I can't complain. I had a ton of amazing games, and a handful of really bad ones that put me in a so-so finals position, but I got to pick my bank, and I made it past the byes round, which is all you can really ask for in that situation. Getting to play in a group with Bob Matthews on day 2, and then Trent today was fantastic.

I can't pick between my two favorite games of the event:

Game 1 - AFM - I was attempting a come-from-behind miracle on AFM, I had multiball, didn't get there, but I did have most of my shots done for Total Annihilation. On ball 2, I shot two left orbits to finish that one, only needing two shots to each orbit, and because I suck at loop passes, the ball arced off the flipper and into the left outlane. So ball three, I make one of the two shots to the right loop, the ball goes wild. I had to do a HUUUUUGE slide save in one direction and back the other way to save the ball, I got two warnings, had it trapped, and tried to make a shot with it ending up in the pops. The game was heavily favoring the exit to the scoop, but it came out the right side...it rolled over the switch, TA animation got about 10 frames off and TILT.... F....M....L.

Game 2 - Atlantis - Game just outright screwed me all weekend long, so I picked to play first in my quarterfinals group with Trent. I was basically already pooched at this point with a 0 and a 1, but if I could get a 3, I could still save myself.. put up 40k, which any other round probably would have gotten me in the points, but not with Trent, Colin, and Phil. Trent played his game, had a save come literally off the left outlane mini post that's an inch into the "death zone" back out of the outlane (which I have only seen once before today), he ended up with 500 points more than me.

500 points.

That's ONE SWITCH, PEOPLE. ONE SWITCH, ONE SINGLE DROP TARGET, EITHER WAY...500 points. Bleargh!

Not that it would've mattered, because Phil played after him, and had THE EXACT SAME BALL SAVE....and then just destroyed the game. So for my "pretty good score", I got 1 point.....which eliminated both Colin and myself on game 3 of our round. Trent put up 1.8 billion on ball 1 on WCS, got to Sea of Simulation on the fastest Tron I've EVER seen, and then just for laughs got the triple stack on BSD which was our last game..

If there is any question about the quality of the games at CJ's, I will slap that person. It was my first time there, and the play and appearance of the games makes Pinballz look ridiculous by comparison. I would seriously sell my Congo RIGHT NOW if they would let me take home their WCS or BSD... they're THAT good.

I have some nitpicky points about how a few specific games were set up, and I'll be passing those on in private, because it's mostly tournament specific stuff. All I'm going to say here is that Jackbot and RBION were....not appropriate.

Had a ton of fun.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-cactus-jacks-silverball-showdown-a-papa-circuit-event?tu=frax and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.