(Topic ID: 117448)

Cactus Jack's Silverball Showdown- A PAPA Circuit Event!

By alveolus

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 81 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by DarthXaos
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image-418.jpg
    Dragonfist-0001.JPG
    Atlantis-0002-sm.JPG
    Neptune-001.jpg
    IMG_3684.JPG
    image.jpg
    2015-01-27-CJpinball_36sm-e1422655146583[1].jpg
    2015-01-27-CJpinball_122sm.jpg
    2015-01-27-CJpinball_103sm-e1422655237119[1].jpg
    2015-01-27-CJpinball_79sm.jpg
    SS flyer.jpg
    There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 9 years ago
    Quoted from DarthXaos:

BTW apparently they have changed it so a winner in a single event is no longer guaranteed a spot, however, now they are taking the top 40 overall point earners instead of the top 20 for Circuit Final for this year.

Well, there went my one chance.. : P Still going.

#52 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Just curious but how many people are registered?

Around 59 IIRC.

#53 9 years ago

Cool.

#54 9 years ago

Wish I could make it, maybe next year. Be sure to post some photos on this thread!

Will this be streamed?

#55 9 years ago
    Quoted from Robotoes:

Wish I could make it, maybe next year. Be sure to post some photos on this thread!
    Will this be streamed?

We definitely will post pictures. Not sure if we will be able to get equipment necessary to broadcast. The format is not the easiest to broadcast as we will have 30+ machines active in qualifying.

#56 9 years ago

Only 4 days left to preregister! Preregistration will close midnight Thursday. Get in before its too late!

http://papa.org/circuit-registration/

#57 9 years ago

For those that are still on the fence about attending, maybe this will help sway you to attend.

Bally Paragon w/7-Volution DisplaysBally Paragon w/7-Volution Displays

Stern DragonfistStern Dragonfist

Gottlieb NeptuneGottlieb Neptune

Gottlieb AtlantisGottlieb Atlantis

#58 9 years ago

If you have pre-registered but have not received confirmation, please PM me and I will check on your status.

UPDATE: a full list of confirmed preregistrations will be forthcoming on the PAPA website. I will provide a link when it is ready.

#59 9 years ago

>Paragon

Hope everyone else is as inept at tap passing as me.

#60 9 years ago

Marcus...you're not taking games up there are you?

I just made hotel reservations and my time off is scheduled...silverball is go!

#61 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Marcus...you're not taking games up there are you?

Yes I am. Cactus Jack's needed some old school infusion.

Expect 3-4 EMs and 3-4 SSs to be added to the Cactus Jack Line Up. One weekend only.

Marcus

#62 9 years ago

Here is the confirmed list of preregistrations as of this evening. Please check the list to verify that you are confirmed. Contact me if you tried to preregister and you're not on the list.

http://papa.org/2015/04/13/silverball-showdown-preregistrations/

#63 9 years ago

alveous, Rob Goodner is listed twice. Not sure if intended or not.

#64 9 years ago
    Quoted from Quiddity:

alveous, Rob Goodner is listed twice. Not sure if intended or not.

Thanks! I'll pass that along.

#65 9 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

Only 4 days left to preregister! Preregistration will close midnight Thursday. Get in before its too late!
    http://papa.org/circuit-registration/

Is that midnight Thursday night or thursday morning (Wednesday night)?

#66 9 years ago
    Quoted from DarthXaos:

Is that midnight Thursday night or thursday morning (Wednesday night)?

To be precise, 0000 Friday morning.

#67 9 years ago

LAST DAY TO REGISTER!

ONE WEEK AWAY!

GET HYPE!

#68 9 years ago

Who wants it?

image.jpgimage.jpg

#69 9 years ago

Nice trophy!

#70 9 years ago

#CJSS

GET.

HYPE.

HYPE TRAIN HAS NO BRAKES

NO.

BRAKES.

HASHTAG #CJSS

gl everyone!

#71 9 years ago

Congratulations to top qualifier, Garrett Hays!
    Very well done!image.jpgimage.jpg

#72 9 years ago

A division finals start at 9am CST in the morning!

Check out the live scoreboard here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/tDfeh9uA9-0XdMn-EdqnFtQ/htmlview

Watch selected tournament machines streamed live here: http://www.twitch.tv/cjarcade/

#73 8 years ago

And your A division winners are:

Champion- Chris Basler
    2nd Place- Robert Byers
    3rd Place- Steve Hill
    4th Place- Brett Emerson

Congratulations on your excellent play!image.jpgimage.jpg

#74 8 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

Champion- Chris Basler
    2nd Place- Robert Byers
    3rd Place- Steve Hill
    4th Place- Brett Emerson
    Congratulations on your excellent play!image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Congrats guys! The event was fantastic!

#75 8 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

4th Place- Brett Emerson

I kicked this guy's ass all weekend and he ended up taking 4th? Awesome.

Robert too for that matter. I love it. Totally beautiful when the underdogs come back and bite ya in the ass. That is FREAKIN' AMAZING.

I ended up 12th overall, I can't complain. I had a ton of amazing games, and a handful of really bad ones that put me in a so-so finals position, but I got to pick my bank, and I made it past the byes round, which is all you can really ask for in that situation. Getting to play in a group with Bob Matthews on day 2, and then Trent today was fantastic.

I can't pick between my two favorite games of the event:

Game 1 - AFM - I was attempting a come-from-behind miracle on AFM, I had multiball, didn't get there, but I did have most of my shots done for Total Annihilation. On ball 2, I shot two left orbits to finish that one, only needing two shots to each orbit, and because I suck at loop passes, the ball arced off the flipper and into the left outlane. So ball three, I make one of the two shots to the right loop, the ball goes wild. I had to do a HUUUUUGE slide save in one direction and back the other way to save the ball, I got two warnings, had it trapped, and tried to make a shot with it ending up in the pops. The game was heavily favoring the exit to the scoop, but it came out the right side...it rolled over the switch, TA animation got about 10 frames off and TILT.... F....M....L.

Game 2 - Atlantis - Game just outright screwed me all weekend long, so I picked to play first in my quarterfinals group with Trent. I was basically already pooched at this point with a 0 and a 1, but if I could get a 3, I could still save myself.. put up 40k, which any other round probably would have gotten me in the points, but not with Trent, Colin, and Phil. Trent played his game, had a save come literally off the left outlane mini post that's an inch into the "death zone" back out of the outlane (which I have only seen once before today), he ended up with 500 points more than me.

500 points.

That's ONE SWITCH, PEOPLE. ONE SWITCH, ONE SINGLE DROP TARGET, EITHER WAY...500 points. Bleargh!

Not that it would've mattered, because Phil played after him, and had THE EXACT SAME BALL SAVE....and then just destroyed the game. So for my "pretty good score", I got 1 point.....which eliminated both Colin and myself on game 3 of our round. Trent put up 1.8 billion on ball 1 on WCS, got to Sea of Simulation on the fastest Tron I've EVER seen, and then just for laughs got the triple stack on BSD which was our last game..

If there is any question about the quality of the games at CJ's, I will slap that person. It was my first time there, and the play and appearance of the games makes Pinballz look ridiculous by comparison. I would seriously sell my Congo RIGHT NOW if they would let me take home their WCS or BSD... they're THAT good.

I have some nitpicky points about how a few specific games were set up, and I'll be passing those on in private, because it's mostly tournament specific stuff. All I'm going to say here is that Jackbot and RBION were....not appropriate.

Had a ton of fun.

#76 8 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

Champion- Chris Basler
    2nd Place- Robert Byers
    3rd Place- Steve Hill
    4th Place- Brett Emerson
    Congratulations on your excellent play!image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Nice to see some Missouri boys bringing home some trophies

Really wish I could have made it.

#78 8 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

what were the payouts?

1st $500
    2nd $200
    3rd $150
    4th $100

#79 8 years ago

Thank you, Shawn and Mark for organizing such a great event. It was fun and ran very smoothly.

Thanks to Dan for operating an amazing location for pinball! My boys and I had a fantastic time there playing pinball and making new friends in the pinball community.

Lots of props to the Oklahoma pinball crowd for being very welcoming and friendly, and for supporting a location like Cactus Jacks. I know that quite a few of them helped get pins shopped/ready for the event, organized food, and designed/produced the custom-made trophies.

I echo a previous comment about the condition of the pins: outstanding!

Last, thanks to Marcus (Xerico) for hauling up 7 classic pins to add to tourney banks.

I highly recommend that people pay a visit to Cactus Jacks or participate in a pinball event at that location.

#80 8 years ago

Huge thank you to Shawn (Alveolus - the OKC competitive pinball guru and Tournament Director), Mark and Anastasia (PAPA leadership), Marcus (Xerico - who graciously supplied the SS and EM machines), and especially to all the players from around the country who came to play.

The level of competition was mind-blowing and getting to watch Chris Basler, Bob Matthews, Jon Drew, Trent Augenstein, Phil Grimaldi, Adam McKinnie, Steve Hill, Garrett Hayes, Colin MacAlpine (and his boy who necessarily sat on a stool as he thumped me between Nintendo DS sessions and his other boy who destroyed ALL his competition on Jack*Bot), and many other great players was humbling and motivating.

The tournament ran like clock-work with just enough downtime to recharge for the next round.

There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-cactus-jacks-silverball-showdown-a-papa-circuit-event/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.