(Topic ID: 117448)

Cactus Jack's Silverball Showdown- A PAPA Circuit Event!

By alveolus

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 81 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by DarthXaos
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image-418.jpg
    Dragonfist-0001.JPG
    Atlantis-0002-sm.JPG
    Neptune-001.jpg
    IMG_3684.JPG
    image.jpg
    2015-01-27-CJpinball_36sm-e1422655146583[1].jpg
    2015-01-27-CJpinball_122sm.jpg
    2015-01-27-CJpinball_103sm-e1422655237119[1].jpg
    2015-01-27-CJpinball_79sm.jpg
    SS flyer.jpg
    There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

A PAPA Circuit Event!!!
    April 24-26, 2015
    Cactus Jack's
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Cactus Jack’s Silverball Showdown is three days of match play pinball competition based on the Pinburgh format, with no players eliminated until Sunday. All players compete in groups on Friday, with the quality of their play determining whether they go to A or B Division for Saturday. All players compete in groups on Saturday within their Division, with the quality of their play determining whether they advance to finals. Qualifiers compete for the division prizes on Sunday, while everyone else plays in a consolation double-elimination tournament.

Online Preregistration Required
    http://papa.org/circuit-registration/
    $35 entry fee to be paid upon check-in at the event
    SS flyer.jpgSS flyer.jpg
    Full tournament rules, travel information, and other details are available on the event website:
    www.cactusjackssilverballshowdown.com

For general discussion, head here:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1593898710825613/?source=1

About Cactus Jack's
    Cactus Jack’s Family Fun Center is one of the Southwest’s premier pinball destinations. It is home to over 50 classic modern-era pinball machines, all meticulously maintained to play flawlessly. Cactus Jack’s also features classic-era and modern arcade machines, billiards, and a large variety of skill and redemption machines that are fun for the entire family. Party rooms are available for birthdays and other gatherings.

I look forward to seeing you there!
    Shawn Lee
    tournament organizer
    [email protected]

#2 9 years ago

AWWW HELLL YEEEEEAH

stonecold.gif

#3 9 years ago

If it wasn't 12 hours away I'd consider going. Hope it goes well and everyone has fun. Location looks to be a nice one.

#4 9 years ago

My sincere intention is to make this event entirely worthy of traveling to from Michigan or anywhere else. My job is to continue to work to convince you of this.

Quoted from GravitaR:

If it wasn't 12 hours away I'd consider going. Hope it goes well and everyone has fun. Location looks to be a nice one.

#5 9 years ago

After registering there was no confirmation, but the page it sent me to was:

http://papa.org/?usp_success=4&post_id=contact

So I assume it went through..lol. I might be double-registered under the same email address and name.

I've never been up to CJ, and Pinballz didn't follow through on their circuit even being match play so I didn't go to that one. I told Bowen that I'd like to see circuit events down this way, so I'm going to do everything I can to make this, especially considering format. I don't get to complain about it then not show up when it happens. I will be ecstatic for this to happen...

#6 9 years ago

Looks like an awesome location and I like the Pinburgh style match play format. Also, it's nice to see a circuit event with such an affordable flat entry fee!

#7 9 years ago

A big Plus 1 and thumbs up for the minimal fee, bravo!

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

After registering there was no confirmation, but the page it sent me to was:
    http://papa.org/?usp_success=4&post_id=contact
    So I assume it went through..lol. I might be double-registered under the same email address and name.
    I've never been up to CJ, and Pinballz didn't follow through on their circuit even being match play so I didn't go to that one. I told Bowen that I'd like to see circuit events down this way, so I'm going to do everything I can to make this, especially considering format. I don't get to complain about it then not show up when it happens. I will be ecstatic for this to happen...

I too got no confirmation either, finally something close enough to attend.wooooohoo

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from UFO:

I too got no confirmation either, finally something close enough to attend.wooooohoo

PAPA is handling the registration. Mark is forwarding me the names, so it seems they are going through. Contact me by pm, or the gmail address, or FB and I'll check for you.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from UFO:

Never mind, Grant. I see your confirmed. I'm glad that there's finally something that will convince you to come over here and play

#11 9 years ago

Added FB event link to the OP.

#12 9 years ago

If anyone in the Austin/Houston/Dallas area wants to carpool from DFW, let me know as I am going. I can easily fit 4 more people in my truck.

It would be cool to get enough people to rent a tour bus.

Marcus

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

If anyone in the Austin/Houston/Dallas area wants to carpool from DFW, let me know as I am going. I can easily fit 4 more people in my truck.
    It would be cool to get enough people to rent a tour bus.
    Marcus

Don't give Jared any crazy ideas.

#14 9 years ago

Are there any hotel discount blocks available?

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from Replay:

Are there any hotel discount blocks available?

At this point no. It's tricky as it is a very busy weekend for OKC, and I really have no accurate estimate as to how many will be traveling. I will give it a week or so to get an estimate of the number of out of towners and see if it is enough to negotiate with one of the hotels.

#16 9 years ago

Post a couple of pics of your place, that'll get folks excited for your tournament.

wish i was closer...

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from joelreeves:

Post a couple of pics of your place, that'll get folks excited for your tournament.
    wish i was closer...

These photos are on the website, but I'll repost them here.
    2015-01-27-CJpinball_79sm.jpg2015-01-27-CJpinball_79sm.jpg
    2015-01-27-CJpinball_103sm-e1422655237119[1].jpg2015-01-27-CJpinball_103sm-e1422655237119[1].jpg2015-01-27-CJpinball_122sm.jpg2015-01-27-CJpinball_122sm.jpg2015-01-27-CJpinball_36sm-e1422655146583[1].jpg2015-01-27-CJpinball_36sm-e1422655146583[1].jpg

#18 9 years ago

yep, I think that should do the trick.

AMAZING place - It'll make for one great event.

#19 9 years ago

Not that you should turn this into a shill post, but so that people traveling know, CJ's also sells games and project games from time to time too, so you may be able to go home with a pin too!

If I had room, I'd be pulling the Flash project they have had listed on CL for a while lol...

#20 9 years ago

Weekend bump. And good luck to everyone playing for a state championship today!

#21 9 years ago

Monday bump and congrats to all the competitors in the State Championships!

#22 9 years ago

So of the entry fee, how much goes to the prize pool?

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from DarthXaos:

So of the entry fee, how much goes to the prize pool?

All of it, minus expense for trophies, so really all will go back to the players. The games will be on coin play, which the facility will keep.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

All of it, minus expense for trophies, so really all will go back to the players. The games will be on coin play, which the facility will keep.

Exactly as it should be. Well done.

#25 9 years ago

Wrestlemania has arrived at Cactus Jack's!image.jpgimage.jpg

#26 9 years ago

Hi Shawn,

Do you guys have a tentative schedule drawn up yet? Really looking for when it might start on Friday and an estimate of ending time on Sunday so I can figure out travel arrangements. Thanks, can't wait to check out the facility and play!

#27 9 years ago

how will the payouts be defined as far as what place gets what percentage then? will there be a spot online that shows how many people have signed up so those of us far away know if its worthy of travel expenses vs projected payouts? in other words, if first place is under a certain amount for example. air fare, hotels, rental cars, travel costs add up quick and even if you win, you could "lose" money.
    its so hard to decide on a new event when there is no past results to reflect on and no guarantee payouts, that's why i ask.

#28 9 years ago

http://www.cactusjackssilverballshowdown.com/#!event/c90r has the schedule I think

based on PAPA broadcasts and previous experience usually sunday finals tend to go into the early evening start time seems pretty standard...

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

These photos are on the website, but I'll repost them here.

Okay, wows.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from batcitypinball:

Hi Shawn,
    Do you guys have a tentative schedule drawn up yet? Really looking for when it might start on Friday and an estimate of ending time on Sunday so I can figure out travel arrangements. Thanks, can't wait to check out the facility and play!

Try here: http://www.cactusjackssilverballshowdown.com/#!event/c90r

The A finals start at 9am Sunday. With four rounds of four 4-player matches, I could imagine it running to mid-late afternoon. Just a rough estimate, however.

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

how will the payouts be defined as far as what place gets what percentage then? will there be a spot online that shows how many people have signed up so those of us far away know if its worthy of travel expenses vs projected payouts? in other words, if first place is under a certain amount for example. air fare, hotels, rental cars, travel costs add up quick and even if you win, you could "lose" money.
    its so hard to decide on a new event when there is no past results to reflect on and no guarantee payouts, that's why i ask.

Well, this is a Pinburgh-style tournament, but it is not Pinburgh. I hope to see a great turnout, but it won't be 500+, and the payouts will reflect that. It is hard to estimate at this stage, and no money will be taken until the event begins so everything is speculative. However, as a rough estimate considering the current registration tally of 34, that would put 1st place A division payout around $350. This is not a pump-and-dump, it comes with a fairly inexpensive set entry fee, so big payouts should not be expected.

That said, I bow down to anyone that is good enough to make money traveling to pinball competitions.

#32 9 years ago

Yeah breaking even is one thing but losing money traveling even if you win first is another. Most of the good players can at least break even in travel. I understand the fun factor, but fun can only go so far if its not local. Same with donation events where there are no payouts. I love donating as much as the next guy to charity, but again, that can only go so far. We all have bills and life issues as well.
    I wish your event was more like 75 to enter..would crank up payouts . Im sure people would still pay it. The place looks amazing and im sure it will be a blast.

#33 9 years ago

Doesn't a first place guarantee you a slot in circuit final, and everyone who qualifies for that gets at least the minimum payout for that? You gotta consider that as being part of the prize

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from DarthXaos:

Doesn't a first place guarantee you a slot in circuit final, and everyone who qualifies for that gets at least the minimum payout for that? You gotta consider that as being part of the prize

"At the end of the PAPA Circuit season, the top twenty ranked players will be invited, along with the defending champion and anyone else who has won a Circuit event, to compete in the Circuit Final tournament the day before the PAPA World Championships."

#35 9 years ago

Yeah, I believe even last place in Circuit Final carries a significant cash payout if I am correct..

#36 9 years ago

Yeah breaking even is one thing but losing money traveling even if you win first is another. Most of the good players can at least break even in travel. I understand the fun factor, but fun can only go so far if its not local. Same with donation events where there are no payouts. I love donating as much as the next guy to charity, but again, that can only go so far. We all have bills and life issues as well.
    I wish your event was more like 75 to enter..would crank up payouts . Im sure people would still pay it. The place looks amazing and im sure it will be a blast.

Now you've piqued my curiosity! Would you mind my asking what your IFPA ranking is and what you would categorize as a "good player"? Top 20, top 50?

Anyway, if I could have had a strong assurance that a bigger pot would have drawn in 2 or 3 top 15 players and another dozen or so in the top 100, I probably would have gone that route. But with no such assurances, I am not interested in discouraging any number of local pinball folks who might be on the fence about donating their entry fees to the better players.

#37 9 years ago

i understand your reasoning entry fee wise as far as locals are concerned.
    in the top 20 currently i am.
    the farther down payouts go it would not be "donating" from players who finish lower though as some could win at least something.
    There are also unknown or lesser known players who sneak in higher at each event I've ever attended.
    its pinball.
    use your first event as a learning lesson indeed. You may have enough local support to not have to worry about anyone from far away. That nice venue and having it be a circuit event is a big boost to start with.
    good luck.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

another dozen or so in the top 100

"Close enough to count"

...I was 106 before the change jacked all my points and dumped me out like 11 places. Other people I know in TX that were ranked higher lost twice that..

#39 9 years ago

i understand your reasoning entry fee wise as far as locals are concerned.
    in the top 20 currently i am.
    the farther down payouts go it would not be "donating" from players who finish lower though as some could win at least something.
    There are also unknown or lesser known players who sneak in higher at each event I've ever attended.
    its pinball.
    use your first event as a learning lesson indeed. You may have enough local support to not have to worry about anyone from far away. That nice venue and having it be a circuit event is a big boost to start with.
    good luck.

Thanks for the well wishes and advice

My only issue is that I would categorize you as an "elite" player, rather than a good one. My hope and plan is to eventually get this event to as close to a "must go" as possible. However, this is the first attempt, and I am already sticking my neck out with the large group of slightly more casual-minded locals by going for such a "hard core" format. I want to lock in those players this year and build word-of-mouth so that next year, I'll be in an even stronger position to attract players of your caliber.

#40 9 years ago

It sounds like you're doing things the right way by building a foundation of local players before trying to make your event a high profile, big payout tournament. Even with smaller payouts than some other circuit events, I bet you'll get some top players there trying to rack up circuit points.

#41 9 years ago

This format is far more friendly to casuals than any other format.....you get to play the entire duration of play regardless of actual performance. Other formats you might just be out after a few games...

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

This format is far more friendly to casuals than any other format.....you get to play the entire duration of play regardless of actual performance. Other formats you might just be out after a few games...

Yes, but they don't know that yet. Plus it's an enormous time commitment compared to what they are used to.

#43 9 years ago

sounds like you are on the right track. thx for explaining things.

1 week later
    #45 9 years ago

Wow!! What a wonderful article on fishing events!! You know fishing NY events have always been my favourite. I really enjoy these events. The best part is that In such public events we met lots of people that have same interests.

1 week later
    1 week later
    #47 9 years ago

One month and counting! Don't forget to preregister!

2 weeks later
    #48 9 years ago

The Cactus Jack's Silverball Showdown is only 2 weeks away! There are still a few spots left but preregistration will close soon. Get it before its too late: http://papa.org/circuit-registration/

#49 9 years ago

Just curious but how many people are registered?

#50 9 years ago

BTW apparently they have changed it so a winner in a single event is no longer guaranteed a spot, however, now they are taking the top 40 overall point earners instead of the top 20 for Circuit Final for this year.

There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-cactus-jacks-silverball-showdown-a-papa-circuit-event and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.