Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wiley.jpg
    IMG_6067.jpeg
    IMG_9454.jpeg
    IMG_4873.jpeg
    mikeandrob1.jpg
    dominos2.gif
    11040397_1416837458626801_1965586217823674248_n.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cfh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

At the Ann Arbor Pinball Show (May 15-17, 2015), we are always trying to find new ways to improve. One problem we have seen at pinball shows in general are tournaments, and how they suck good games away from the general game population.

Last year we had a solution for this, but it favored the general populous at the expense of hard core tourney people. We have come up with what we think is a better solution.

Announcing the EM WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP tournament!

The May 2015 Ann Arbor pinball show tournament will be on Friday May 15th at 11am. Note this is *before* the show opens, so there’s no problems with games being used in the tournament while the show is open. The tourney will be in our new Annex facility.

The tourney will be a match play, three strikes style event. That is, no qualifying, rounds start right at 11am, and each round is 15 minutes. It’s a best 2 out of 3 style rounds (two names and a game are randomly drawn from a hat, you play best 2 out of 3 games to determine a winner.) If you loose a round, that’s a strike. Three strikes and you’re out.

We keep going until there’s just two people left, and that’s the finals. All play is on EM machines (possible early solidstate chime machines too.) Note there are no WPPR points, and there’s no money to be won. The winners (first and second place) get completely goofy trophies, and the ability to brag they are the EM World Champs!

In addition to the tournament, those that get three strikes also gain access to the main pinball hall early! (The show officially opens at 4pm.) So for the $20 cost of the tournament, you get tournament play plus early entry to the Friday showcase. (Note you must also buy a ticket for the Friday showcase too.) Tickets for the Friday tournament (limited to 64 players) are available on the ticket page.

Comments would be appreciated. thanks!
    http://www.vfwpinball.com

#5 9 years ago

I don't have the tickets up yet as I wanted to get some comments first before making them available.

#8 9 years ago

Our food area will be open during friday. and depending on how many people participate, i may cook burgers and dogs on the grill.

#14 9 years ago

the $20, no wppr, no payout, is to keep tournament money guys like silver_spinner away. no really, that's the reason... i'm not kidding... ok maybe i'm kidding a bit.

the whole purpose of the ann arbor pinball show is to raise money to fund the museum for the year. the place doesn't exist for free. the property isn't free. the taxes aren't free. the electric isn't free. the heat isn't free. the insurance isn't free. the games didn't restore themselves or buy themselves. the parking lot doesn't plow itself and the grass doesn't cut itself.

aside from that the $20 EM tourney gets you into the show before it opens. so if the tournament has 25 people, they have the run of the entire facility with them and only them in the building. in addition of course the fun aspect of playing your friends in EM pinball for fun (which a lot of tournament guys seem to miss that point) and a big goofy trophy.

#24 9 years ago

My money is on rob cross the law. He's gonna bush whip everyone and make them say uncle. He makes my slap talk look like baby babble.

#27 9 years ago

No rob high speed is not an em. But secret service and torpedo alley are! Hahaha. Nba fastbreak may be an em too, at least for you.

1 month later
    #36 9 years ago

Awesome bring it and Cancer Rob will treat it as a challenge to his tourney man-hood.

#38 9 years ago

Mick for Friday lunch that's a great idea, i like it!

1 month later
    #56 8 years ago

First Place went to Mike Wiley.
    Second place went to Rob Cross.
    Mike was pretty happy with his win. Rob was pretty unhappy with his second place finish.

mikeandrob1.jpgmikeandrob1.jpg

#66 8 years ago

Blah hahahaha you got beat like a rented mule. By Wiley too!!!!!
    No one will forget this blunder by you. This goes down in history as a major fail! Wiley was probably drunk too.

#69 8 years ago

Wiley, being Wiley.

wiley.jpgwiley.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cfh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-arbor-pinball-show-new-tournament?tu=cfh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.