Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wiley.jpg
    IMG_6067.jpeg
    IMG_9454.jpeg
    IMG_4873.jpeg
    mikeandrob1.jpg
    dominos2.gif
    11040397_1416837458626801_1965586217823674248_n.jpg
    There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

At the Ann Arbor Pinball Show (May 15-17, 2015), we are always trying to find new ways to improve. One problem we have seen at pinball shows in general are tournaments, and how they suck good games away from the general game population.

Last year we had a solution for this, but it favored the general populous at the expense of hard core tourney people. We have come up with what we think is a better solution.

Announcing the EM WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP tournament!

The May 2015 Ann Arbor pinball show tournament will be on Friday May 15th at 11am. Note this is *before* the show opens, so there’s no problems with games being used in the tournament while the show is open. The tourney will be in our new Annex facility.

The tourney will be a match play, three strikes style event. That is, no qualifying, rounds start right at 11am, and each round is 15 minutes. It’s a best 2 out of 3 style rounds (two names and a game are randomly drawn from a hat, you play best 2 out of 3 games to determine a winner.) If you loose a round, that’s a strike. Three strikes and you’re out.

We keep going until there’s just two people left, and that’s the finals. All play is on EM machines (possible early solidstate chime machines too.) Note there are no WPPR points, and there’s no money to be won. The winners (first and second place) get completely goofy trophies, and the ability to brag they are the EM World Champs!

In addition to the tournament, those that get three strikes also gain access to the main pinball hall early! (The show officially opens at 4pm.) So for the $20 cost of the tournament, you get tournament play plus early entry to the Friday showcase. (Note you must also buy a ticket for the Friday showcase too.) Tickets for the Friday tournament (limited to 64 players) are available on the ticket page.

Comments would be appreciated. thanks!
    http://www.vfwpinball.com

#2 9 years ago

I don't see tickets for the tourney on your page??

Also, this sounds like a BLAST!

#3 9 years ago

That's amazing, I always wanted to enter an EM tournament.

#4 9 years ago

Sounds like fun!

#5 9 years ago

I don't have the tickets up yet as I wanted to get some comments first before making them available.

#6 9 years ago

Moved to Events forum

#7 9 years ago

My buddy and I are IN.

For comments >>
    I would like it to be for WPPR points, but can also understand the reasons to not.
    $20 seems like a fair price. Would be great to offer a food add-on for an additional $10. Always nice to not have to worry about food when playing in a day long event.

I like whacky trophies, but suggest prizes go deeper than top 2 in a field of 64. Even certificates are fun/cheap, but something to shoot for that is realistic for normal people.

Maybe do a consilation bracket for the first 8 people to get knocked out completely. Some people are going to get blasted in the first 3 rounds and be done after 45 min. It is always fun to let those people have a side bracket for fun and bragging rights.

#8 9 years ago

Our food area will be open during friday. and depending on how many people participate, i may cook burgers and dogs on the grill.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Our food area will be open during friday. and depending on how many people participate, i may cook burgers and dogs on the grill.

Could you please have someone else do the cooking.

#10 9 years ago

This would be an awesome event if there were WPPR points. Without them it sounds like I am just paying another $20 to play the same machines I could play during the regular showcase. Doubt I will make the drive without WPPR points.

#11 9 years ago

Sounds like a great time and a great way to meet some new pinball people. Count me in. ALL EM's WOOHOO!!

#12 9 years ago

whats the $20 for? if no payout, no prizes besides the couple trophies, and no charity event..just curious.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

whats the $20 for? if no payout, no prizes besides the couple trophies, and no charity event..just curious.

Win or lose it all goes to me. I appreciate it guys

Quoted from GravitaR:

Sounds like a great time and a great way to meet some new pinball people. Count me in. ALL EM's WOOHOO!!

We'll all play EMs....You'll be playing wood rails...hope that isn't a problem?

#14 9 years ago

the $20, no wppr, no payout, is to keep tournament money guys like silver_spinner away. no really, that's the reason... i'm not kidding... ok maybe i'm kidding a bit.

the whole purpose of the ann arbor pinball show is to raise money to fund the museum for the year. the place doesn't exist for free. the property isn't free. the taxes aren't free. the electric isn't free. the heat isn't free. the insurance isn't free. the games didn't restore themselves or buy themselves. the parking lot doesn't plow itself and the grass doesn't cut itself.

aside from that the $20 EM tourney gets you into the show before it opens. so if the tournament has 25 people, they have the run of the entire facility with them and only them in the building. in addition of course the fun aspect of playing your friends in EM pinball for fun (which a lot of tournament guys seem to miss that point) and a big goofy trophy.

#15 9 years ago

cost should also be justified as pinball typically cost money to play (esp nice ones that play GREAT!) and events like this take a large amount of staff to run!

Aside from that I am VERY excited to play in an all EM event and have a good time.

Happy to pay just to support what the VFW is!

Tickets purchased!

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from mman23:

This would be an awesome event if there were WPPR points. Without them it sounds like I am just paying another $20 to play the same machines I could play during the regular showcase. Doubt I will make the drive without WPPR points.

Happy to not have you in the tournament. Stay by the baby food factory instead if WPPR points are so important to you.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from mman23:

Petition the WPPR to award points for distance driven. 8-)

#19 9 years ago

It was just a question seeing as how your post said you wanted comments. 64 players brings the total entry over 1 grand so I was curious. Good luck. maybe ill show up just to beat why snow; )

#20 9 years ago

It was just a question seeing as how your post said you wanted comments. 64 players brings the total entry over 1 grand so I was curious. Good luck. maybe ill show up just to beat why snow; )

please do and then we can have a beer and enjoy the limited access to the main event before everyone else comes in.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

please do and then we can have a beer and enjoy the limited access to the main event before everyone else comes in.

VFW has 2 NBA Fast Breaks linked together you and Silver Spinner and go head to head!

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from bob_e:

VFW has 2 NBA Fast Breaks linked together you and Silver Spinner and go head to head!

actually one of the things I am most looking forward to is playing linked NBAs

#23 9 years ago

Man I'm so f'ing sick and tired of people saying that tourney players don't know how to play for fun. Just because ONE guy on the board goes all ballistic every time anything tournament-wise is mentioned, now the rest of us get lumped in with this too?

An EM-only (okay, there was a solid state Power Play, okay?) tournament is what *really* got me into competitive play. Was my 2nd WPPR tourney. So just be aware, you're creating more of "us" and less of "you", even if it's not for WPPRs! Hope that "you" can have "fun" in this brave new world. Love wacky trophies....even cheapskate ones like the jar of marbles I have that's mis-dated from a local tournament that was run. I have to keep telling the 5 year old to stay out of the marbles....I need a trophy case.

'Course, NOTHING I have beats the Garage Gauntlet sword.

#24 9 years ago

My money is on rob cross the law. He's gonna bush whip everyone and make them say uncle. He makes my slap talk look like baby babble.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from mman23:

It's $20! Who the hell bitches about $20!!!!

#26 9 years ago

High Speed is an EM right?

#27 9 years ago

No rob high speed is not an em. But secret service and torpedo alley are! Hahaha. Nba fastbreak may be an em too, at least for you.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

. NBA Fastbreak may be an em too, at least for you.

Shhhh...don't bum Whysnow out yet...NBAFB will take care of that by itself

Quoted from Whysnow:

actually one of the things I am most looking forward to is playing linked NBAs

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

It's $20! Who the hell bitches about $20!!!!

Well lets see what the $20 does get you.

You get tournament play PLUS early entry to the Friday Showcase.

Up to 64 players will have access to ALL of the showcase games before the Showcase opens. Note the Showcase open to regular ticket holders at 4 P.M. Or about 3-4 hours of play depending on your skill vs opponents.

After 4 PM regular admission ticket required.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Happy to not have you in the tournament. Stay by the baby food factory instead if WPPR points are so important to you.

By baby food factory are you referring to the Baby Food Festival tournament that was ran this summer? or just about Fremont in general?

Way to chop his head off for simply giving a comment.... Clay asked for comments

#31 9 years ago

Paid and in for the WPPR-less fun. EM's RULEZ!

3 weeks later
    #32 9 years ago

Bump to build up the tournament

#33 9 years ago

What will we be playing? Whom knows...there's a lot to choose from looking at the master list of games.

http://www.vfwpinball.com/games.php

#34 9 years ago

I don't give a shit if I even place in the tournament, I just want early access to probably the best pinball collection in the state.

4 weeks later
    #35 9 years ago

I will be there, and I am coming To WIN !

Prepare yourselves to be beaten like you could never have imagined.

No prisoners.

Tyrone

#36 9 years ago

Awesome bring it and Cancer Rob will treat it as a challenge to his tourney man-hood.

#37 9 years ago

I could always supply smoked pork butt instead of Clay cooking....

11040397_1416837458626801_1965586217823674248_n.jpg11040397_1416837458626801_1965586217823674248_n.jpg
    #38 9 years ago

Mick for Friday lunch that's a great idea, i like it!

#39 9 years ago

Clay, I'm down for it. Give me a call to discuss.

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from mman23:

As a member of the Ann Arbor Pinball Museum, willing to help out, I sent an Email to the WPPR to inquire what had to be done to make the tournament qualify for WPPR points...
    A MONTH AGO, STILL NO RESPONSE.

#41 9 years ago

Try again. People are busy, emails get lost in the shuffle, stuff happens.

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from bob_e:

As a member of the Ann Arbor Pinball Museum, willing to help out, I sent an Email to the WPPR to inquire what had to be done to make the tournament qualify for WPPR points...
    A MONTH AGO, STILL NO RESPONSE.

I can answer that for you (I think?).

You need:
    1 the event listed on a public website with some info about it
    This should already meet the requirement but will need to update language to reflect that it is now for WPPR if that is the case.
    http://vfwpinball.com/?p=128

2 the event put on the IFPA calendar at least 30 days prior to the event
    Register it here. You are more than 30 days out currently so should be good to go.
    http://www.ifpapinball.com/calendar/submit.php

3 the event can not have any restrictions in whom can play (i.e. can't exclude anyone based on age, WPPR status, etc...)

That is pretty much it.

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from bob_e:

A MONTH AGO, STILL NO RESPONSE

Where did you send the email, because I don't show having received one.

Hilton pretty much nailed the requirements!

Josh

#44 9 years ago

also, I say go for it. I would love to be able to play in a first (for me) EMonly WPPR event!

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

Where did you send the email, because I don't show having received one.
    Hilton pretty much nailed the requirements!
    Josh

from the IFPA web site "contact us"

With a limit of 64 players would this be an "open" tournament.

#46 9 years ago

Sounds like alot of fun..!!

#47 9 years ago

Yes a limit of 64 players is considered open.

this sounds like fun. As long as it doesn't change the format having it be for WPPRs doesn't really do any harm. There should be more EM tournaments.

#48 9 years ago

clay used to have an em tourney at crazy carls and it went fine. a mix of normal tourney players and locals and people who play good but don't enter tourneys often. best i did was 2nd place to mike wiley, and in fact out of the few times he had the event, no "top" known avid tourney players won..
    i miss that tourney.
    not every good player is an a--hole or wppr hound.
    i dont recall if the events at crazy carl's had wppr or not...but it did have cash payouts which make it enticing if you are paying money in and making a drive. plus games on coin drop earned location and operator money.
    id rather have cash payouts or gift cards over trophies or plaques as the single prize any day.
    trophies are dust collectors and end up getting tossed out. over 100 sit cluttered in my house between me and the kids.
    playing for "fun" or money in 100% going to charity every time can only get you so far. dont get me wrong, donating to charity is great, but if all events had zero payouts or all monies in donated, competitive pinball would be over. any tourney would be local only with a handful of players.
    for an extreme local its fine, but when driving a distance to a tourney or taking time off from work and travel expense, its opportunity cost.
    its different if hanging at a buddies house getting in free, playing games on free play and having a free tourney.

wppr ifpa events try to encourage EVERYONE to play, not just good players. that's why there often are multiple divisions. As a whole, all of us who are involved try to push competitive pinball, and its larger today than it ever has been. its very insulting to here certain statements where it binds us all together as a bunch of "point mongers" or basically snobs to the pinball community.
    What happens if there is a "top" player amongst the "non wppr hound crowd"? will they be shunned as well if they win an event such as the one at vfw? when does it stop? same question when banning players from tops tournaments? well, the best "non" banned player will continue to win as what happened at marvin's when me and koz were asked not to play.
    I find its usually people who don't have adequate playing pinball skills who raise such a fuss.
    practice and play better. easy enough. when you play with people who are better than you, you learn things, and get better.
    you will also find out we arent such "a--holes" afterall .

BUMP for vfw event. clays em's play superb.

#49 9 years ago

when you play with people who are better than you, you learn things, and get better.
    you will also find out we arent such "a--holes" afterall .

No doubt aboot that. Gotta play with better people to get better. I can attest to the fact that tourney players, at a high %, are very nice people. Sometimes there are some of them that are too nice.
    I'm only a complete asshole to people after I know them for awhile.

#50 9 years ago

so is this going to be for WPPR now?

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-arbor-pinball-show-new-tournament and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.