Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 369 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by BMHouze
  • Topic is favorited by 30 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

max bike (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20211013_174040 (resized).jpg
    EDDCE042-B6E6-419F-914C-395833353ED6 (resized).jpeg
    F299DAC8-705B-4555-BF9A-4332E095CCFA (resized).jpeg
    F2EB7EAB-012D-4C17-844D-749B82A7EB0F (resized).jpeg
    headlight (resized).jpg
    framecrack1 (resized).jpg
    20211007_114607 (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpeg
    21F41A10-E4D6-447C-B814-6FC9468EB7C9 (resized).jpeg
    MoreisBetter! (resized).jpg
    07F578BA-CFF5-4F0B-874A-C9B8C7173DFC (resized).jpeg
    6AE7B5E5-1E01-4FC8-BAD9-11340460D606 (resized).jpeg
    A5D3110F-6292-42A2-8A71-25162A3C2665 (resized).jpeg
    108BC941-4081-48E3-A2F2-0B6D39D1EB4C (resized).jpeg
    There are 369 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 8.
    #201 2 years ago

Grabbed my ticket last night. Really enjoyed my time here last year. It was actually really nice having the 2 sessions split up last year, gave time to grab some food and come back refreshed for another 4 hours. Just going to have to power through this year!

Anyone else from Fort Wayne headed up Saturday??

#202 2 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Hoping Tilt Amusements attends and brings Stern's new Godzilla for play.

If Tilt does attend, I could use some more new playfield glass. I was at CLEPIN early Friday and only bought 3 to allow others to get some. When I went back Saturday morning, the rest were all gone. (You’re welcome to everyone else who bought the rest!)

#203 2 years ago
    Quoted from shimmydisc:

If I lived close I’d gladly volunteer. Access to the collection and Clay’s brain would be payment enough.

Just because you offer to volunteer doesn’t mean you’ll be taken up on the offer or be given any sort of access..

I lived 15min from VFW for almost 20yrs and the only times I’ve gotten to go inside were a couple of the recent shows - last year was awesome, loved how empty/dark it was!

I’ve offered to volunteer several times, inquired how one could become a member of “the club” .. even asked about Clay’s pinball repair classes to learn more/get involved.. No luck.

While I’m happy I get to go at all - always have wanted to go more!

#204 2 years ago

To be a VFW member you need some basic requirements... live close by (20 minute drive at most generally speaking.) And some skills. they don't have to be pinball skills (though that would certainly be nice.) We would really like to find a plumber or hvac guy for example! Training people to repair games is really difficult though. Mostly because it takes a lot of practice. It's a perishable skill, you have to do it a lot, and often. i've found that people that come once a week don't progress very fast, if at all. Hence it's tough to train people... being a pinball mechanic takes a lot of dedication. We stopped doing classes for this reason... the same people were taking the same class over and over. at first could not figure out why... but it was simple... they didn't use the skills learned enough, and they faded from their memory. So they were starting from zero all over again.

#205 2 years ago

Tickets still available! Just grabbed another for Sunday last night..

#206 2 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

To be a VFW member you need some basic requirements... live close by (20 minute drive at most generally speaking.) And some skills. they don't have to be pinball skills (though that would certainly be nice.) We would really like to find a plumber or hvac guy for example! Training people to repair games is really difficult though. Mostly because it takes a lot of practice. It's a perishable skill, you have to do it a lot, and often. i've found that people that come once a week don't progress very fast, if at all. Hence it's tough to train people... being a pinball mechanic takes a lot of dedication. We stopped doing classes for this reason... the same people were taking the same class over and over. at first could not figure out why... but it was simple... they didn't use the skills learned enough, and they faded from their memory. So they were starting from zero all over again.

Yup!
    being an ex HVACR tech myself, AAS in HVACR from Ferris University and several years in the field, I can vouch for this! These skills take constant practice and experiences to stay on your game! No other way to be a hotdog technician! Otherwise you descend to a parts changer aka. service ape!

#207 2 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

It’s too bad I don’t live 15min away anymore! I met those requirements and still couldn’t get into the club. Perhaps I was asking the wrong people for info!

‘If you don’t use it, you lose it’ is definitely a thing and repair classes can be a challenge - especially if you’re teaching the same people the same things.

We’re driving about 4hrs and are super excited!

#208 2 years ago

I'll see some of you there on Sunday's session. Will be one of the Orange Shirt crew, be sure to say hi.

#209 2 years ago
    Quoted from Puffdanny:

Mudgies in Detroit uses Sy Ginsberg's too and I approve!!!

My best friend owned that Deli (he bought his meats from Sy Ginsberg as well) when it was named McNally's in the early '90's. He passed away suddenly in 1994, ending that run. He was a little younger than Greg Mudge who recently died.

#210 2 years ago

so who's going tomorrow??? I'll be tailgating, stop by and say hi.

#211 2 years ago

I'll be working alright

#212 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I'll be working alright

so the hair will be in full affect??

#213 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

so the hair will be in full affect??

bigtime blowout!

#214 2 years ago

Wife and I are super excited for tomorrow! She’s been wanting to play a Cirquis Voltaire and Big Bang Bar and Pinball Magic for a long time now.

I’m gonna rock a Jurassic Park tshirt

#215 2 years ago

I'll be wearing a clutch t shirt as always.

#216 2 years ago

I'll be wearing an orange STAFF shirt doing staff stuff.

#217 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

I'll drive by and toss an empty vodka bottle at you. But in all seriousness have fun tailgating(by yourself) me and Andy will drink a few for you from home.

#218 2 years ago
    Quoted from Puffdanny:

I'll drive by and toss an empty vodka bottle at you. But in all seriousness have fun tailgating(by yourself) me and Andy will drink a few for you from home.

you should. I will wave at you when you guys drive by lol. I have my daughters boyfriend coming with me so I won't be alone.

#219 2 years ago

I'll be the dweeby looking guy playing pinball.

#220 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

I'll be there...

#221 2 years ago

Long shot. Does anyone have any spare dead or unused Gameplan boards (working or not) stashed away? I’m rebuilding a couple Sharpshooter machines and any spares would help. If so just send me a direct message and maybe I can meet during the show to buy them.

#222 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

you should. I will wave at you when you guys drive by lol. I have my daughters boyfriend coming with me so I won't be alone.

Glad you have company,drinking alone sucks. You should try playing a few games this year Clay has a great collection and most people find it to be enjoyable.

#223 2 years ago
    Quoted from Puffdanny:

Glad you have company,drinking alone sucks. You should try playing a few games this year Clay has a great collection and most people find it to be enjoyable.

I thought this was just a drinking party in the parking lot? you mean there are games inside?

#224 2 years ago

I’ll be shirtless

#225 2 years ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

I’ll be shirtless

You must follow local ordinances at all time

IMGP1847 (resized).jpgIMGP1847 (resized).jpg
    #226 2 years ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

I’ll be shirtless

Be a good day for it

#227 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

I thought this was just a drinking party in the parking lot? you mean there are games inside?

Yes, we have a Beer Pong or is it and Ice Cold Beer.

#228 2 years ago

I’ll be in the brown Dunkin’ Donuts shirt.. jk

#229 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

I will be there Saturday. Repping in a Dead Flip Charlie Danger original T-shirt So excited, first timer!

#230 2 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

I'll be the dweeby looking guy playing pinball.

I’m sure you’ll stick out like a sore thumb

#231 2 years ago

I’ll be getting to second base out back after I poo

#232 2 years ago
    Quoted from dscapo:

I’ll be getting to second base out back after I poo

I'm not allowed inside but I can roam the woods

#233 2 years ago
    20211002_134349 (resized).jpg20211002_134349 (resized).jpg
    #234 2 years ago

Annual Pinball Life takeover of the Genco Lucky 7 and Derby Roll...

20211002_150657 (resized).jpg20211002_150657 (resized).jpg
    #235 2 years ago
    Quoted from EchoVictor:

[quoted image]

Man i miss my lucky 7. Awesome game! Cow-lynn, play a game for me

#236 2 years ago

Surprised no one came by to have a beer. Was a good day at the vfw. Thanks clay for hosting!!!

#237 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

Surprised no one came by to have a beer. Was a good day at the vfw. Thanks clay for hosting!!!

Maybe no one came cuz you suck. Missed ya buddy

#238 2 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Maybe no one came cuz you suck. Missed ya buddy

Must have been the Beer selection or the direction of the wind.

Try again Sunday.

#239 2 years ago
    Quoted from EchoVictor:

[quoted image]

Thanks Bangerjay for wrecking the pull start assembly on one of our favorite mini-bikes. At least we have 38 others to use before we have to pop another engine in or replace the starter from the VFW parts department....

20211003_090839 (resized).jpg20211003_090839 (resized).jpg20211003_114623 (resized).jpg20211003_114623 (resized).jpg20211003_114649 (resized).jpg20211003_114649 (resized).jpg20211003_115140 (resized).jpg20211003_115140 (resized).jpg
    #240 2 years ago

VMBW (Vintage Mini-Bike World)

#241 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Thanks Bangerjay for wrecking the pull start assembly on one of our favorite mini-bikes. At least we have 38 others to use before we have to pop another engine in or replace the starter from the VFW parts department....
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Anytime!

#242 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:A developer has been rumored to have offered the VFW a deal that may not be refusable.. They asked permission to get soil samples to see how the land can be redeveloped for housing similar to what is going in to the East.
    Then there's the games that, if similar to Banning, could fetch a pretty penny or three.
    If this happens, 2021 might be the final year of the show....

Is this true ?

#243 2 years ago

Thanks to everyone that attended this year.

It was a much smaller (by attendance) show this year.

On the plus side for attendees, there was no wait on any games, aisles were free and clear and smells were way down.

Broken games were almost zero (thank you to the VFW tech staff!!)

The *Snack Shack* had the usual great food (thank you Blake!!).

We missed all of our Canadian friends and all the out of towners who could not make it.

We hope that everyone who did attend had a great time.

Next year we the plan is to be back to the pre Covid normal…we hope!

Doug D
    VFW Staff/Minion

#244 2 years ago

Is this the last show?

#245 2 years ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

Is this the last show?

Rumors of the VFW demise are 100% unfounded.

Of course, tomorrow is another day, so you never know.

DD

#246 2 years ago

BTW: Current game total is 481.

Stern Mandalorian Pro showed up Saturday (thank you Trent!)

DD

#247 2 years ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

Is this true ?

No

Quoted from jj44114:

Is this the last show?

No

#248 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

A developer has been rumored to have offered the VFW a deal that may not be refusable.. They asked permission to get soil samples to see how the land can be redeveloped for housing similar to what is going in to the East.
    Then there's the games that, if similar to Banning, could fetch a pretty penny or three.
    If this happens, 2021 might be the final year of the show....

Bruce *MrBally* is talking out his ass.

Yes, there is residential development to the east.

Unfortunately what almost of these potential home owners don't know about is the ex-superfund site near by.

Do you own research. Public Knowledge.

#249 2 years ago

Great 2021 pinball show! Thank you to all that attended.

We started with 480 pingames working for the show... and ended with all 480 games working! I can't think of another pinball show that can state a 100% game working ratio. Seriously this is unheard of! We do *tons* of prep work to make this happen, and have the largest pinball parts reserve of any pinball show (or pinball repair shop!) on the premises.

As for this being our last show... i would say "probably not." But frankly, I just don't know. We are getting pressures from outside sources to sell. But it's really not something i want to do. But the show, which pays for the facility, is in the red for the last two years due to covid issues. Prior to covid, we have a surplus of funds (from the yearly show) for games and building maintenance. Last two years have sucked, and i've had to dip into personal funds to finance the place. I can't do this forever.

and to that end there's a lot of expensive maintenance that needs done to the property. the east parking lot needs to be re-paved. and the heating/cooling system is coming to it's life cycle end. we're talking huge amounts of money for these two things alone. so it certainly makes you think about things. also my honey wants to move out west.

#250 2 years ago

Visited on Saturday and had a blast. Played every game that was on my mental list. I have not been to a function since the new addition on the back side. So many games…CFH and the staff are fantastic. Looking forward to the all the future shows for as long as they last.

There are 369 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-arbor-michigan-vfw-pinball-show/page/5?hl=crobby and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.