Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 347 posts
  • 88 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by vdojaq
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Clay Commando (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    786060DD-B973-4E03-833C-2C0E8F031BC2 (resized).jpeg
    BA402DAB-A850-41B6-9BDD-8CAC12A05179 (resized).jpeg
    7507CC6D-D5EF-4F9C-BFE4-8C9C854A5F19 (resized).jpeg
    03D016E3-070B-4E54-A5E9-001135383C55 (resized).jpeg
    5A60EACB-736D-4951-AE9F-0E819275C5AA (resized).jpeg
    20221002_173242 (resized).jpg
    20221001_095814 (resized).jpg
    20221001_145844 (resized).jpg
    20221001_122533 (resized).jpg
    20221001_110810 (resized).jpg
    2BBBCAA7-ED35-4D5C-BFE8-BE9E1FD25713 (resized).png
    fist (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20220909_212639 (resized).jpg
    There are 347 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
    #301 1 year ago

Somehow we managed to completely miss checking out the Marv Annex yesterday. If someone's there could you post a picture of that room? I'm curious to see what else we managed to miss.

20221001_095814 (resized).jpg20221001_095814 (resized).jpg
    #302 1 year ago

I couldn't make it this year.
    How was the swap meet?

#303 1 year ago
    Quoted from PfRedflyer:

Somehow we managed to completely miss checking out the Marv Annex yesterday. If someone's there could you post a picture of that room? I'm curious to see what else we managed to miss.
    [quoted image]

The pictures with the mini-bikes in the beginning of this thread seem to be from the Marv

#304 1 year ago

Great tournament Thursday! Bill and Pat and the rest of the team did a great job running it. Would love to see more tournaments there!

#305 1 year ago
    Quoted from PfRedflyer:

[quoted image]

I have walkthrough footage of the whole museum including the Marv building.

#306 1 year ago

To handle the outbound show traffic, the Southbound Bonus lane on US-23 has been opened.

20221002_173242 (resized).jpg20221002_173242 (resized).jpg
    #307 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

To handle the outbound show traffic, the Southbound Bonus lane on US-23 has been opened.
    [quoted image]

And the Speed limit lowered to 60...wtf.
    Tell Danny I hit 112.

#308 1 year ago
    Quoted from BMHouze:

couldn't make it this year.
    How was the swap meet?

Really was nothing at swap meet as far as i could tell, maybe a couple people brought a game or two.

#309 1 year ago

Thanks Clay and EV and the tech crew and chow crew.
    Had an amazing time playing an amazing collection of games.
    Was never that crowded with people, only crowded with games, but noisy none the less. I think i played every single player EM, plus all the zipper flippers and a hand full of multi player EMs and about a dozen classic era S/S pins from WMS,GTB,BLY & Stern. Did not have time to play any Zaccarias.
    Noticed that all of Clay's EMs had strong flippers which is important in the older games, GTB wedgeheads also had good pops and slings. Some of the 2in flipper pins from Bally and Williams maybe could use a little juicing up of the pops, but all games played and maintained their fun factor, and when any game had a problem it was usually addressed and fixed within 30minutes.
    My only suggestion would be to maybe switch to 5 ball play on all 2in flipper pins, instead of 3 ball.
    3 ball play is ok on solid state games and even some 3in flipper EMs,
    but those 1960s 2in flipper games were designed for 5 ball play,
    That is especially true for those Bally and Williams which have wicked outlanes
    that 3 ball play might only last 90 seconds.
    Again thanks for putting on a great show, every pinball fan needs to make the trek/pilgrimage to the pinball mecca at least once in a lifetime.

#310 1 year ago
    Quoted from dmilo:

The pictures with the mini-bikes in the beginning of this thread seem to be from the Marv

Thanks that was exactly what I was looking for.

Quoted from AnimeDude892:

I have walkthrough footage of the whole museum including the Marv building.

When you get the time if you don't mind I'd love to get a link to see it.

#311 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Really was nothing at swap meet as far as i could tell, maybe a couple people brought a game or two.

There really wasn't anything brought for a swap meet. The logistics are the hard part. Our parking is limited and with only requiring a $1 reservation fee it meant that it is much harder to tell how full the lot is going to be, so creating a dedicated space to encourage it isn't really practical. I think it is a good idea, but one that will require more word-of-mouth within the pin community.

The VFW show is unique in that is really is an open house for private pinball collection. Ancillary stuff like buying or selling games parts hasn't really been a feature. You come here to play games. That being said, Clay has shown he is open to anything that would make the show a more positive experience as long as it doesn't increase the labor to execute the show. There is ALOT that goes on in preparing, hosting and then cleaning/servicing after a show like this. I think the VFW does an excellent job of hosting an event of this scale.

#312 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

And the Speed limit lowered to 60...wtf.
    Tell Danny I hit 112.

That's it? We hit 115 yesterday in our non-turbo VW Atlas rental boat.

#313 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

That's it? We hit 115 yesterday in our non-turbo VW Atlas rental boat.

Sure sure we all did, this was a little harrier today with that traffic.
    I guess it's a wash though because I use that lane open or not.

#314 1 year ago

I missed seeing Mr. & Mrs. KingBW at the show this year.

#315 1 year ago

Terrific time again this year. Thanks so much Clay. Amazing number of games all in terrific operational condition. Your Orange shirt Mafia were spot on again. Always there to help. Food was great.

We all appreciate you doing this. I had the opportunity to play Tommy Proto which I’d never send before. Also got to play and set the GC on Funhouse upgraded. Great upgrade. Couldn’t hear much but loved playing it. Also grabbed a custom 007 shooter rod. Can’t wait to receive the game.

Thanks again Clay and all. Hopefully will see you next year.

03D016E3-070B-4E54-A5E9-001135383C55 (resized).jpeg03D016E3-070B-4E54-A5E9-001135383C55 (resized).jpeg5A60EACB-736D-4951-AE9F-0E819275C5AA (resized).jpeg5A60EACB-736D-4951-AE9F-0E819275C5AA (resized).jpeg7507CC6D-D5EF-4F9C-BFE4-8C9C854A5F19 (resized).jpeg7507CC6D-D5EF-4F9C-BFE4-8C9C854A5F19 (resized).jpeg786060DD-B973-4E03-833C-2C0E8F031BC2 (resized).jpeg786060DD-B973-4E03-833C-2C0E8F031BC2 (resized).jpegBA402DAB-A850-41B6-9BDD-8CAC12A05179 (resized).jpegBA402DAB-A850-41B6-9BDD-8CAC12A05179 (resized).jpeg
    #316 1 year ago

Here’s the walkthrough video. I took it at around 30 minutes before closing time.

#317 1 year ago

Awesome show again.
    Can't believe that there wasn't a wait or crowd to play Jungle Hunt, the Tommy proto, Rudy's Funhouse, Varkon, or any of the other oddball rare games.
    What a great setup!

Also, thanks to Clay and all the minions who were on any problems immediately. Several games had issues and they were all fixed quickly and back up and running in short order.

#318 1 year ago

It was a great show. I am glad they told me about the Jungle Hunt prototype when I arrived, but I had no idea about the Tommy proto or other rare games I probably glanced at and had a clue if/why they were special.

I felt the crowd on Sunday was a nice size for the venue. Plenty of open games and space to move around. 10% were wearing masks I would estimate. The only smell was cigarette smoke on someone.

Thanks again Clay for letting us visit such a treasure.

#319 1 year ago

Thanks as always to Clay and the minions for opening up the world's best pinball collection for a weekend. Food was great as usual, way better than you'd expect from a concession stand. Weather couldn't have been nicer. Friends, fun, parking lot beer sharing. Dare I say, a perfect day.

#320 1 year ago

Man that weather was spot on both days.

#321 1 year ago

Sounds like a missed a lot of fun. But October is a no go time for me - I work at a haunted house from Late September through the entire month of October.

cfh - will you be moving the event back to May like it used to be next year?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #322 1 year ago

I went on Sunday with my father and brother. We all had a great time and was very pleased with the crowd. It was great, never really a wait for anything. It was truly amazing to see that many games working and able to take that kind of play for the weekend. It was also quite impressive the amount of gallery games and other vintage games that were not just there but working and playable. Will definitely be back for the next one!

#323 1 year ago

This was the 1st visit for my wife and I. SHE asked "are we going again next year?"

Clay, next year???

#324 1 year ago

Another year, another great VFW show.
    It's pretty much the perfect pinball experience.
    Terry.

#325 1 year ago

Obviously there's a next year.

#326 1 year ago

I can't belive you people fell for this CRAP!

First, Clay starts a FAKE NEWS story about the MADD CRAPPER by squirting some chocolate syurp on a Dunkin Donuts bag and producing some moon-landing-fake footage.

Then, he doubles the price, and you suckers GOBBLE UP ALL THE TICKETS!

Then he promises you clowns a trail ride and at the last moment, switches from full size motor bikes to MINI BIKES! Where is the anger at this blantant RIPOFF!

We here at the Pinball Hall of FAme are a REAL MUSEUM, with a professional staff, in depth exhibits, and farts that smell like flowers. The VFW is just a bunch of old games he dug out of a dumpster and ran a rag over, plopped in the middle of a cornfield in some old BINGO HALL!

But really.....

All of us at the PHOF are very envious of Clay's set up. It's everything we can't be. Clean, well mantained, beautifully presented and open only a couple of days a year. People who, for the most aprt, are sober, well behaved and respect the room and the rules.

Hats off to Clay and his staff for doing what we all dream of.....
    MAKING AMUSEMENT HISTORY!

#327 1 year ago
    Quoted from timarnold:

... people who, for the most part, are sober...

...excepting *certain* staff members, of course.

#328 1 year ago

Results form the Thursday tournament have been posted to ifpa https://www.ifpapinball.com/tournaments/view.php?t=53297

#329 1 year ago
    Quoted from nsduprr:

...excepting *certain* staff members, of course.

And, certain *former* staff members....

#330 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

And, certain *former* staff members....

if danny would quit hitting the bottle, maybe the restore of the CT70 could have been completed!!

#331 1 year ago

Did anyone play Jungle Hunt? any comments or suggests? still working on the software, so ideas welcome.

#332 1 year ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Did anyone play Jungle Hunt? any comments or suggests? still working on the software, so ideas welcome.

My only suggestion would be to rename it Preditor. I can't quite put my finger on it, but for some reason this sounds like a better title for the game.

#333 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballlife:

My only suggestion would be to rename it Preditor. I can't quite put my finger on it, but for some reason this sounds like a better title for the game.

*Jungle Hunt* sucks

My suggestion for a rename would be *Your One Ugly Mother @!$% er*

(can a write @!$% on Pinside???)

It also sorta works with an image of Clay

#334 1 year ago
    Quoted from nsduprr:

*Jungle Hunt* sucks
    My suggestion for a rename would be *Your One Ugly Mother @!$% er*
    (can a write @!$% on Pinside???)
    It also sorta works with an image of Clay

Agreed. It's one brutal ass game.

#335 1 year ago
    Quoted from cfh:

The outlanes were pretty hungry! It was a cool game and I really appreciate being able to give it a try.

#336 1 year ago

Fantastic event, just excellent! Wife & I were there both days from open to close. We both had a great time. Lots of cool old stuff I've never seen before. Great collection, well maintained, and just a good time!

#337 1 year ago

Any pictures of it Clay? I was not able to make it down this year.

Quoted from cfh:

#338 1 year ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Some of the callouts on it were hilarious....

#339 1 year ago

Our resident Arnold voice actor did hundreds if not a thousand new voice call outs for the game, which really made a huge difference. Also we really don't want to use the 'predator' name as it has a lot of negative connotations. And there was a predator game before, which frankly is nothing like this one. Don't want to get the two games confused, because they are not the same by any stretch.

#340 1 year ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Don't want to get the two games confused, because they are not the same by any stretch.

I'm confused, is this not based on the old Atari game???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_Hunt

#341 1 year ago

...why YES IT IS... run with that please...

#342 1 year ago
    Quoted from Xdetroit:

Any pictures of it Clay? I was not able to make it down this year.

No photos this year, but I took this one of him a few years ago after he got after the Wednesday night tech crew about something.

He looks a little different after he eats a Snickers bar.

Clay Commando (resized).jpgClay Commando (resized).jpg
    #343 1 year ago
    Quoted from cfh:

The under playfield magnets were intense… definitely the craziest I’ve ever encountered. My last ball I had a multiball going until they got swallowed up by the magnets. Drained two and the third stayed stuck until the flippers went dead. I’m not sure if it was supposed to do that… cool none the less.

#344 1 year ago

I checked out Jungle Hunt pretty early on Saturday, and we chatted with Don(?) a bit. Got around 300k and the software or something locked up after it drained and it took some work to get it going again. I think every time I walked by it later on, it was occupied. It's a lot of fun, I can't wait to try it again next year.

This was my and my friend's first time attending, and it was absolutely fantastic. I came in from Colorado for this, and I just can't say enough good things. Every machine I played felt great, and the ones that had issues were always fixed quickly after reporting them. Kudos to everyone working on the games, seriously great job. I saw so many pins that I've never gotten to play in person, and many others that I never knew existed. Clay, thanks so much for holding this event.

#345 1 year ago

The Thursday Tourney was the best! What an amazing experience playing on these classics in a competitive situation. The completion was the strongest tournament this year on the East side of Michigan. Let's hope we have more opportunities like this in the future.

#347 1 year ago

Don't you EVER tell me where you came up with this shit!

That was awesome!

There are 347 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.