Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 944 posts
  • 121 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Beyndtstng
  • Topic is favorited by 29 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

82e470e35f6ea3efde948faf01d76963a7f38b13.png (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20180508-184445 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20180508-184541 (resized).png
    365 (resized).jpg
    buckeyes-leaves (resized).jpg
    A29996CB-7219-47D5-A896-4369DA3380A6 (resized).jpeg
    20180505_173320 (resized).jpg
    20180505_125903 (resized).jpg
    7A881700-844F-4851-AAF4-EE043D2463D6 (resized).jpeg
    5566DFEA-D6A6-4B69-83DF-B7D48CDB51DB (resized).jpeg
    97F46012-DD8C-4340-AD4C-B32A0755B08A (resized).jpeg
    33B66D2B-B075-4DE4-9B9D-74461872F5A1 (resized).jpeg
    A93331B3-62A9-47E9-875C-040A4BF4BD98 (resized).jpeg
    20180504_194122 (resized).jpg
    yacs (resized).PNG
    20180504_153227 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Meegis.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 6 years ago

Already starting to plan !!

You make a great show Clay!

5 months later
    #9 6 years ago

Steve does amazing work. Picked up a glass from him (for a friend) at the last show. Should have pulled the trigger on one I wanted too.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from BMHouze:

Well come and play and spend less money. Or go to Allentown and buy, buy, buy.
    Not too much on the way of extras. That being said it has gotten a bit bigger in that respect each time I have went.
    For me it's a saturday day trip.

Unfortunately for me, it's a bit of a longer drive. Make it at least an overnight trip.

2 weeks later
    #14 6 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Announcement for ticket sales date please. Really looking towards the show in 2018.

Ticket sales start in 2018 according to website.

I'm waiting for ticket/tshirt package sale.

#20 6 years ago

TheLaw

We gonna play some bones again?

BONES!!!!!!!

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

The 2018 Ann Arbor pinball show VFW tickets are now available. May 4-6, 2018. The website is http://www.vfwpinball.com
    There are a few changes this year. Mostly the number of games. It’s now 400 games available for play and you can go to the website and see a list of the game names and pictures
    Right now we do not have a Saturday tournament and we do not have camping tickets available. These two items have causes more problems and work then we’re willing to talk about in the past. So I’m hesitant to do them again this year. I could be convinced, but it’s going to take some work to get me there...

I know we shouldn't be bringing up the past, as you've heard all the sides of it. But to be honest, I thought the Saturday night tourney was awesome.

Sure there was a hiccup, but that happened because one rule wasn't properly written. If you have two ways to win, make it clear that it's either over at first win,

OR (and I think this would be better)

If you win early (by achieving 21 on 5 cards) than you get one of the gift cards and/or a trophy to support that, but the overall tournament goes on to find the full endurance winner.

A lot of people left early because it was running really late, but to me, that's part of some competitions. (If anyone here has been to pinburgh, they'll know how hard it is to be on your feet so long)

Anyway, it's just my opinion, but I thought it was fantastic and a great play strategy that gave all players a chance.

If you want to be fair, email all participants from last year (the 60-70 ppl from that tourney) and take a vote.

Sorry for the wall of text, but just thought I'd share my thoughts on it.

See you all in a few months !!

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

I forgot there is another significant change to the show this year. We are holding back a number of tickets to be available at the door. So for people that can’t get tickets ahead because They don’t know their schedule, you still have a chance to go to the show. There will be cash sales at the door, but only for a limited number of tickets. So if you are going to go, on say Saturday, it’s best you get there early before the cash tickets are sold
    Also I can pretty much say with 100 percent certainly that there will not be a ptrdator there. You guys pretty much killed any chance of that happening with the treatment of Tim. Even though he only lives 20 miles away, I can’t see how he would think it would be advantageous to bring that machine to any show.

Don't know who Tim is, and no idea on this story.

But as a Canadian in this thread, I feel obliged to say sorry.

Sorry Tim.

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

People have been asking about the camping and the saturday tournament. Here's the deal... The three guys that ran that whole thing saturday night largely aren't here any more. We had John White (RIP), Gary R (no longer in the group), and Pat M (who most likely will have to work his real job that night.) That leaves us with nobody to run the saturday night festivities. It's a lot of work to do the Saturday night camping/tourney thing, and frankly, it doesn't generate any money to speak. Everyone else is tired from the other 3 days of show work... i just don't have the personnel to do this. It's tough finding people our age to want to stay up 1/2 the night policing the whole affair...

With this explanation, I completely understand and respect the decision made.

You put on an amazing event and I'm just happy to be able to be a part of it.

#51 6 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

saturday night tourney info coming soon!!

Me love you long time.

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Is there any interest in pre-ww2 games? specifically 1930s stuff? or is that just a waste of time and space to most people...?

I'm in the small group that would love to see the stuff, but it would be a space waster for most unfortunately.

I love the oddball kooky stuff however a lot of people find it boring.

#66 6 years ago

Wondering if there is a layout game map of the show?

If no, how difficult would it be to just make a list of games per building?

Would be cool to be able to walk in say 'i wanna play xxxx' and it's as easy as looking at the game list that already exists and it just says where to find it.

Just a thought.

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from nsduprr:

Do you mean somthing like this?
    BTW it's not up to date with all the recent additions. "Hopefully" we'll have it current by show time.
    Doug D.
    VFW Member

That's a great map, however, the cyan labels are unreadable on the machines.

Maybe a bank style setup, similar to pinburgh could work?

Number the buildings (or stick to the names) and each row can be an aisle number, and each game is the number in the row.

For example (purely made up):

*Using the current games list in the website*

Bad Cats (Williams 1989) - Building 1; Aisle 4; Game 17

I know a bunch of people (myself included) walk into the show with a bunch of games we'd like to play because in many cases they are unattainable locally to us. (Especially the antiquities)

It could even be done with a simple Excel spreadsheet pre-filled with the website game list.

#73 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I'll ask if we can make our bottom man Bob do this grunt work. It's a fine idea.

If I was geographically closer I'd offer to do it no problem.

I'd be upgraded to grunt from common garbage.

#76 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Most of the games are already kinda grouped together by era and MFR.

Yes they are, but if you don't have a grasp on the show floor and want to hit up specific titles it may help to know exactly where it is. I know my first time to VFW was confusing for the first couple hours and I walked in circles a lot.

#78 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

It should just be done because; why the hell not? Easy enough

I like the cut of your jib.....

And your gloves

#81 6 years ago
    Quoted from BMHouze:

Last year I just asked at the door.
    Where would I find Alien Poker?
    Then I played it till the memories subsided.
    Need more cigarette smoke to bring back the true feel of the old days.
    Only thing that bugged me was the odd player that would stand back as far as possible with their head down for the playfield view.
    Love the bowling machines.

I'd say the one thing that bothered me most about other show-goers was the flatulence.

My god

#85 6 years ago

I understand dropping a bomb here and there, but some of these guys may as well have been dragging around a corpse with them.

#93 6 years ago

Marvin's is awesome.

I always make a stop if I'm passing through. I'll likely end up there and maybe have dinner at California pizza kitchen out front.

1 week later
    #104 6 years ago

Bought my Saturday ticket, wasn't able to add a note though as I paid as a guest...

Is that ok?

I printed my receipt

#106 6 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

In for sat. So... whats for sale?! Id like to find an em arcade game

I've been looking for em arcade stuff for a long time.

Hard to find, especially up in Canada land

#108 6 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Ya, they are kind of hard to find at a good price around here

I see you have a little pro in your wish list. One just popped up in Solon heights on Facebook.

#111 6 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Probably out of my price range, but do you have a link?

Hope this works: https://m.facebook.com/groups/669815773135120?view=permalink&id=1488599174590105

#113 6 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Didnt work. Id be able to find it but i dont have facebook. Did you see a price?

Working, asking $2500

#114 6 years ago

Made a mistake on location, actually says Columbia station.

My mistake.

#116 6 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

No prob. More than id spend anyways on one. Vfw is a great place for parking lot meets for games!

It is great, but I never have a large enough vehicle for games.

I drive a VW golf r. And I come from Toronto. No game hauling for me.

#121 6 years ago

Any news on the shirts this year yet EV?

#140 6 years ago

I can't park in the grass. Car is too low. VIP parking whoo!

#143 6 years ago

Looking for some advice on accommodations. I know about the local recommended places on the vfw site, but I'm thinking of air bnb or something else.

Last year I stayed in a dumpy motel in Farmington hills, it was fine but a little low end tbh.

Farmington hills or Novi seems ideal for my stay with other activities I want to partake (Marvin's etc) in mind.

Any pros cons would be appreciated. Suggestions?

Thanks

1 week later
    #156 6 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Mini-bike parade on saturday at 2pm!

Is this a regular parade of little bikes? Or a little parade of regular bikes?

#167 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Ahhh THAT'S what I can do with my old Auto-cocker

Sounds dirty

.................. I like it

1 month later
    #241 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

You guys think those are good you outta check out Miller Lite; I drank 16 of them the other night and besides my couch being a bit wet when I woke up, it was great!

The high life

#242 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I have been two years now. Both times were butt to butt and packed for all the A listers, esp thta back little room with games like SC TZ Etc... you are either blind or not paying attention if you think otherwise. VFW is a great playing collection but outside of the early times on friday and sat at open, attendees should expect a line to play the popular games.

I think you're in the minority here.

I never really waited for anything. Even the brand new stuff like dialed in, Hobbit and Aerosmith last year had lines 3-5 people deep and I attended Saturday all day.

VFW is awesome for not having long wait times

#294 6 years ago
    Quoted from BMHouze:

Predator for Sat only.
    Nice,
    Could charge more for the Sat 'premium'.
    How about Pinside (generic sticker) nametags? I only knew Meegis from the chicken suit.

I waited all night in my hotel wearing a chicken suit.

You never showed up.

#295 6 years ago

I settled for the weirdo wearing skeleton gloves.

Tender lover, that one there.

#356 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Some for no reason at all
    Joust, Gemini, interflip dragon, spirit, Catacomb, nine ball, pinball magic, heavy metal Meltdown, time fantasy, fast draw, torpedo alley, British LOTR with ball save buttons you can play forever, doogies, mexico 86,

You forgot BONES!!

#372 6 years ago
    Quoted from nsduprr:

BTW:
    Check out picture list on the VFW web site:
    http://vfwpinball.com/games.php
    Make your list of must play games. There will be index sheets and facility map by the front door that will make locating a particular game much easier.
    Doug D.

Sweet sassy molassy.

Glad this is now available!

#375 6 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Oooohhhh.......... Valet parking, how fancy!
    (He's not coming back with my car, is he?)

TsVy56Z (resized).jpgTsVy56Z (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
    #657 5 years ago
    Quoted from abelelectronics:

We have a few American Pinball Houdini’s in stock with side decals installed. If anyone is interested I can deliver to the show. We will have a Houdini on display at the show also with a Potc. PM me if interested in either one. Also right now we have 3 pins on freeplay at our shop if your in the neighborhood stop in. Abel Electronics 27201 Harper Ave, St. Clair shores MI 48081

What are your hours on Friday? (If you're even open considering the show has started by then)

I'll likely be driving right by and would love to stop in. I usually cross the Sarnia border and head south from there.

#799 5 years ago

Leaving Toronto shortly....

See you all tomorrow !!

#800 5 years ago

Anyone know why 696 is closed? Is it temporary or will it still be shut down in a few hours?

#806 5 years ago

I'm crossing Sarnia, but hitting Farmington hills first

#809 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bribo13:

I have nothing to fear !

Me neither :

#834 5 years ago
    Quoted from PNorth:

Finally arrived in Ann Arbor, despite the gusty winds sand-blasting the car!
    Stopped in at Marvin’s... that was a cool experience!

You have two options for my response.

1) I told you so...

2) you're welcome

#848 5 years ago

Another great VFW trip. Thanks to clay and all the staff.

Was great to see a lot of you guys I only get to see once a year.

The day was perfect.

#891 5 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

I would like to THANK everyone for helping/attending the Ann Arbor 2018 pinball show this year.
    We can do some bragging too...
    Started with 410 UNIQUE working games (no doubles, well except NBA fastbreak, because the two are linked.) We ended the show with 410 working games! Not even one dead game. In all seriousness, i don't know any other show that can state that. Very few shows can state 400+ games (no duplicates.) And then say that they *all* stayed working for all days of the show. (that is, Sunday, the last days, has just as many games as the first show day.)
    Also if you look at the pictures from the show, notice the lack of lines. Even the super popular games had at most, one person deep. Again i don't know any show that gives the attendee that.
    The vfw team (and it is a team) works hard all year round to make this show happen. And again, i would like to thank everyone involved. And thank the people that make the effort to come to the show. THANK YOU.

No clay.

We all thank you.

Thanks to the crew.

And thanks for opening the show to everyone.

#892 5 years ago

And I'm just glad bribo showed up. Not sure how the show could go on without him there.

Without ortonvilles finest, the show would be a bust.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Meegis.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-arbor-mi-vfw-pinball-show-2018?tu=Meegis and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.