Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 944 posts
  • 121 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Beyndtstng
  • Topic is favorited by 29 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

82e470e35f6ea3efde948faf01d76963a7f38b13.png (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20180508-184445 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20180508-184541 (resized).png
    365 (resized).jpg
    buckeyes-leaves (resized).jpg
    A29996CB-7219-47D5-A896-4369DA3380A6 (resized).jpeg
    20180505_173320 (resized).jpg
    20180505_125903 (resized).jpg
    7A881700-844F-4851-AAF4-EE043D2463D6 (resized).jpeg
    5566DFEA-D6A6-4B69-83DF-B7D48CDB51DB (resized).jpeg
    97F46012-DD8C-4340-AD4C-B32A0755B08A (resized).jpeg
    33B66D2B-B075-4DE4-9B9D-74461872F5A1 (resized).jpeg
    A93331B3-62A9-47E9-875C-040A4BF4BD98 (resized).jpeg
    20180504_194122 (resized).jpg
    yacs (resized).PNG
    20180504_153227 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Beyndtstng.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 6 years ago

Any recommendations for hotels near by? Have tickets for the entire weekend. Looking forward to it!

1 week later
    #89 6 years ago

With the show closing early on Saturday at 8 (assuming no tournament), is there anywhere else to play pinball in the area? We’d love to find some older SS games but I would be fine with moderns as well.

2 weeks later
    #117 6 years ago

I think flying into Flint will be the best option for us and worth the extra $59. Is there a list of games somewhere? I saw the video last year so I could always make one if needed.

1 month later
    #197 6 years ago

How many tickets do you allocate for each day? The big sell for me is the lack of lines. I went to TPF last year but I was standing in line to even play a Harlem Globetrotters which is why I didn’t attend this year.

#220 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

you can come and drink beers with me in the parking lot

If whisky can stored here I am game as well. We can poor some of your beer in it if you want a mixer.

As for the lines, I have played the A list titles so that really isn’t a concern. We are going for the high quality older machines (early 90’s and before) that you either can’t find at shows or the quality leaves a lot to be desired. I did get a ticket to the EM tournament so that doesn’t sound like a bad idea whysnow...

#229 6 years ago
    Quoted from swillie:

I will be at the EM tourney...with all those games waiting in the main building it does almost feel like your being penalized for playing well...but in the spirit of good sportsmanship I will get there early and start doing shots and chase it with KBS. That way I can still say I gave it my best...

We need to meet up. That is my motto!

#250 6 years ago
    Quoted from swillie:

I suppose for me the A listers are not why I am there and so I am not doing any waiting. I can play most of those games elsewhere. The early SS tables, Zacarria's and the older EM's you can't play on location elsewhere are what I tend to be playing.

We are going to be friends haha

1 week later
    #351 6 years ago

Question for some of you veterans of pinball. My friend and I have attended about 7-8 shows the last couple of years which is right about when we discovered pinball. We have played the common games you see at most shows. What machines would you recommend we must try due to rarity or extreme high quality at VFW? We prefer multiplayer games but are not opposed to some single players. Appreciate the feedback.

#423 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

With only 24 days to go until the 2018 VFW Pinball Showcase, we can only hope that this young lady makes it here from out West....

I’ll be bringing one of those. What is the dress code policy?

#432 6 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

The saturday night tournament is now available on the http://vfwpinball.com/?page_id=179 tickets page. Starts at 8pm saturday night (after the show closes, so it does not conflict). Flat entry cost. Should run to about midnight. This is a way to get more pinball playing saturday. Also you don't need a saturday day ticket to play in the tournament... these are independent things.

Can we play other games while waiting in the queue or do we just have sit back? If so how long would be waiting if we won and were in the back? Just looking to maximize play time. Thought someone told me you have to wait outside or something like that in the past. Just wanting clarification before purchasing two, thank you

#443 6 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

remember that you are purchasing a ticket for the saturday evening tournament, not additional play time in the main hall.
    unlike the friday morning [strikes] tournament, NO players are eliminated until the 3 hours of head-to-head action are over. (I know that some people purchase a friday tournament ticket to get eliminated quickly just to have access to the showcase's other games earlier).
    more details will follow shortly, but I can state that I do not believe that anyone will be standing around for very long between matches.
    - j.m. VFW "rust" member
    friday morning tournament co-coordinator, saturday evening tournament assisting coordinator

Okay I’ll wait to talk to my friend to see if she is interested. Hopefully tickets last until tonight. I know we have thought about visiting some of the local places like Marvin’s and those that stay open later with alcohol. We just don’t like to stand around, hence why we decided to attend this show instead of TPF.

#449 6 years ago

I see that game room guys is a vendor at the show. Is there a chance we see Iron Maiden there? Would love to know what I’m buying by playing it first...

#455 6 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

If not, Marvins and M-Brew both just got one today and are about a half hour or so away.

Perfect, we are visiting Marvin’s on Thursday. Thank you for the information.

#475 6 years ago

Thought Mr Bally said TNA may be at the show a couple of pages ago...

#512 6 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

Weather is one of many reasons I look forward to TPF every year. Mid to late March in TX is usually decent. Even if they have bad weather it's usually in the 50's and often sunny. A nice break from the cold we might still have in KS at that time of year.
    I grew up in Michigan and I'm fully seasoned to the weather. Come May there is a chance that it could be nice.

What Mike, you aren’t enjoying this lovely spring day?

#541 6 years ago
    Quoted from abelelectronics:

I just got confirmation that I will have a jersey jack pirates of the Caribbean prototype for the show.

Gary’s the man!

#604 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

For reference.....

Just to clarify, nudging or slap saves to keep the ball in play is okay? What about a slide save? I know death saves are out which won’t be an issue. Some people don’t want you to do anything but flip which takes a lot of the skill out of it.

#660 5 years ago

Anyone have recommendations for a liquor store close by vfw or the best western? Also looking for a place to eat with good bar food (burgers, wings etc.).

#671 5 years ago
    Quoted from Puffdanny:

I'm assuming the Whitmore Lake Best Western so here's your liquor store
    Polly Market
    9589 North Main Street, Whitmore Lake, MI 48189
    (734) 449-2040
    https://goo.gl/maps/vcjVALvLapr

Perfect, thank you j_m for the others. May only eat once or twice, which do you recommend as can’t miss as far as burgers and wings are concerned?

#724 5 years ago

I have e-mail to show I payed for tickets, is this what I show at the gate? I think clay has answered this before but I can’t seem to find it. Thank you

#745 5 years ago
    Quoted from swillie:

Sure bring the email confirmation for sure. If you gave Clay your name(s) when you ordered you can tell them your name at the entrance also.

Email confirmation it is! For those folks coming in on Thursday, where is the best place to go for a wide selection of games with a full liquor bar within 10-15 minutes of VFW? I saw the recommendation earlier of the available places but need to know which should be my long stop? We should get into town around 4. Thank you

#769 5 years ago

On our way!

49CBFA16-D384-4925-A0E1-3EDB0ACE791F (resized).jpeg49CBFA16-D384-4925-A0E1-3EDB0ACE791F (resized).jpeg

#770 5 years ago
    Quoted from Defender:

Just went through and cleaned Defender. I will be bringing this for free play to the VFW.
    There are plenty of rare games already there, and I though I would give some people that have never played this an opportunity.

Let us know what the rules are. We couldn’t figure this one out in Banning.

#782 5 years ago

Blimpy burger with seven patties, solid meal!

4797467C-8676-4ECF-A37C-A30CFD5F6FCE (resized).jpeg4797467C-8676-4ECF-A37C-A30CFD5F6FCE (resized).jpeg

#783 5 years ago
    Quoted from Defender:

Beyndtstng - Rules are quite a good port of the video game rules to a pinball. Best if you already know the rules to the vid.
    The Drop Targets are the landers. When the insert in front of the drop target flashes, the lander has captured one of your humanoids. It flashes faster right before the lander turns into a mutant. When the lander is a mutant, the drop target drops, and the insert is still flashing. Shoot the stand up target behind the drop to kill it. Keep missing the mutant, and it moves to another stand up target.
    Cool part: Each drop can be individually raised (lots of solenoids!) so the landers pop up randomly.
    Kill all the landers / mutants, and finish the wave.
    Completing the rollovers up top adds bonus X, relights REVERSE (see below) and gives a smart bomb. Smart bombs kill everything. Use the second button on the right above the flipper button to use the smart bomb. Tip: I often hit the smart bomb immediately after draining, before the bonus. Might kill enough to finish a wave.
    Kickback is manual (called REVERSE like in the vid). Use the second button on the left to use the reverse (kickback). Timing is EVERYTHING. Cool shot: If you drain from the center and the ball rolls up near the left outlane, hit the REVERSE and get your ball back!
    Lock is the scoop on the right. 3 Balls starts multiball. No jackpot - just 3 balls. Fun shot to try: ricochet the ball off the right drop targets, and it goes up past the upper left flipper, then hit from the upper left flipper into the lock.
    Warning: If you lock, and there are already 2 balls in the lock (from another player perhaps), the ball will not come out from the shooter lane, but from the lock. Pay attention, or you will just watch your ball drain.
    2 inline drops in the upper left enable warp to higher wave. Drop both drops, then hit the standup to warp. Each drop is like shooting a POD, and enables baiters. Baiters are the stand ups on the right by the lock. Kill them all twice to enable the diverter in the right outlane which send the ball back to the shooter lane.
    A shame they only made 359 of these. Great game. Once you know it, its an excellent tournament or dollar game.

Fantastic explanation, looking forward to playing one with a working reverse.

#794 5 years ago

Highly recommend the liquid cocaine shot at the brown jug, six times is much better than one.

#795 5 years ago
    Quoted from Puffdanny:

Is that salami?

It was bacon. I’m not much of a salami guy but you could probably convince me to go back for it. I may go for a 10 patty next time!

#827 5 years ago
    Quoted from dhard:

Who won the em tournament anyone really wanting to win or just the last person left not wanting to play the rest of the games once there out

This is a true sentiment

1 month later
    #944 5 years ago

I couldn’t justify the expense to fly out for a one day event but what a cool opportunity for any local people. Lorisa and I had a fantastic time and we consider this a can’t miss show. We will definitely be back next year.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Beyndtstng.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-arbor-mi-vfw-pinball-show-2018?tu=Beyndtstng and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.