Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 944 posts
  • 121 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Beyndtstng
  • Topic is favorited by 29 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

82e470e35f6ea3efde948faf01d76963a7f38b13.png (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20180508-184445 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20180508-184541 (resized).png
    365 (resized).jpg
    buckeyes-leaves (resized).jpg
    A29996CB-7219-47D5-A896-4369DA3380A6 (resized).jpeg
    20180505_173320 (resized).jpg
    20180505_125903 (resized).jpg
    7A881700-844F-4851-AAF4-EE043D2463D6 (resized).jpeg
    5566DFEA-D6A6-4B69-83DF-B7D48CDB51DB (resized).jpeg
    97F46012-DD8C-4340-AD4C-B32A0755B08A (resized).jpeg
    33B66D2B-B075-4DE4-9B9D-74461872F5A1 (resized).jpeg
    A93331B3-62A9-47E9-875C-040A4BF4BD98 (resized).jpeg
    20180504_194122 (resized).jpg
    yacs (resized).PNG
    20180504_153227 (resized).jpg
    There are 944 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 19.
    #701 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

If we can find this Betty Johnson song on a CD or MP3, it might be in the Jukeboxes or played over the sound system during the show.

I've always been a fan of this one:

#702 5 years ago

Three days to go until the show begins. Rumors are spreading that this beautiful, one of a kind custom re-theme will make its way to the 2018 VFW show for a limited time.

It uses a Gottlieb base game and keeps tradition with Gottlieb EM's from the '70's

EDIT: We received word that, unfortunately, the game, along with long-time VFW show attendee
    jwilson will not make it to the show this year.

319f1d9556127fac511e7867b68cb4b94a242c61 (resized).jpg319f1d9556127fac511e7867b68cb4b94a242c61 (resized).jpg

#703 5 years ago

Three days to go until the show begins. Rumors are spreading that this beautiful, one of a kind custom original theme Harry Williams game will make its way to the 2018 VFW show for the full show.

(That's the first test-fit of the BG after making and attaching all the missing trim pieces around the front of the head.)

firefly_bg_in_20180430_edit (resized).jpgfirefly_bg_in_20180430_edit (resized).jpg

#704 5 years ago

These will be awesome to check out. love the customs that are at the show.

So for the beer drinkers that are going to meet up in the parking lot. what time do we want to meet up in the parking lot? I'm going to pull out a camping chair and have a breakfast beer before going in. I will probably start at 9:30

#705 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

I'm going to pull out a camping chair and have a breakfast beer before going in. I will probably start at 9:30

Now that's the true "breakfast of champions" not wheaties

#706 5 years ago

Was planning to go to Allentown but can't make it now. Would love to bring my son on Friday, if anyone has two tickets to spare. Thanks.

#707 5 years ago
    Quoted from dhard:

Now that's the true "breakfast of champions" not wheaties

kbs will be the first one to go down. with a name like Kentucky breakfast stout, it has to be for breakfast right?

#708 5 years ago
    Quoted from frobozz:

Three days to go until the show begins. Rumors are spreading that this beautiful, one of a kind custom original theme Harry Williams game will make its way to the 2018 VFW show for the full show.
    (That's the first test-fit of the BG after making and attaching all the missing trim pieces around the front of the head.)

That is some amazing work there DB.

#709 5 years ago
    Quoted from frobozz:

Are those 4 rollovers or spinning discs or both? Can't wait to play it, would be awesome if it were to be included in the EM tournament like Typhoon was last year.

#710 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

kbs will be the first one to go down. with a name like Kentucky breakfast stout, it has to be for breakfast right?

I plan to roll in around 9:30 or so too. KBS sounds like the only sensible thing for a breakfast beer. I should probably stick to session IPAs after that, but likely won't.

#711 5 years ago
    Quoted from swillie:

Are those 4 rollovers or spinning discs or both? Can't wait to play it, would be awesome if it were to be included in the EM tournament like Typhoon was last year.

There are 5 of them (look up amongst the bumpers) and they're frickin' magnets!! Always on, with the rollover button in the center scoring and turning them off while the ball is on the button. (See also: Torchy, at the VFW, for Harry's first stab at this concept.)

Yes, everyone always claims games have a magnet between the flippers to help drain the ball. Firefly HAS A MAGNET BETWEEN THE FLIPPERS!! Fortunately there's a KirkPost(tm) there to keep it from zooming exactly SDTM. (Yes, Steve Kirk was so amazing he obviously invented and named that concept before Harry Williams even knew he was alive!)

#712 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Only Four days to go.
    If we can find this Betty Johnson song on a CD or MP3, it might be in the Jukeboxes or played over the sound system during the show.

lol!!! that should keep clay on his feet...

#713 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Three days to go until the show begins. Rumors are spreading that this beautiful, one of a kind custom re-theme will make its way to the 2018 VFW show for a limited time.
    It uses a Gottlieb base game and keeps tradition with Gottlieb EM's from the '70's

Quoted from frobozz:

ah,thats cool!!!

#714 5 years ago

Sad to say, I won’t be bringing Hot Rod - I have last minute family responsibilities to take care of Friday and Saturday that I can’t get out of.

I might bring it to Pinball Life and Expo though.

#715 5 years ago
    Quoted from frobozz:

There are 5 of them (look up amongst the bumpers) and they're frickin' magnets!! Always on, with the rollover button in the center scoring and turning them off while the ball is on the button. (See also: Torchy, at the VFW, for Harry's first stab at this concept.)

Magnets, Wow! I just looked again, how did I miss the one between the pops? Awesome work!

#716 5 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Sad to say, I won’t be bringing Hot Rod - I have last minute family responsibilities to take care of Friday and Saturday that I can’t get out of.
    I might bring it to Pinball Life and Expo though.

Thanks for the heads up. We will edit the post.

#717 5 years ago

Any sort of ticket changes or requests should be directed to [email protected] as I do not check the ps messages

#718 5 years ago

I wondered what those disks were on the design of the T-shirt. Very cool.

29fsdv (resized).jpg29fsdv (resized).jpg

#719 5 years ago
    Quoted from frobozz:

Yes, everyone always claims games have a magnet between the flippers to help drain the ball. Firefly HAS A MAGNET BETWEEN THE FLIPPERS!! Fortunately there's a KirkPost(tm) there to keep it from zooming exactly SDTM. (Yes, Steve Kirk was so amazing he obviously invented and named that concept before Harry Williams even knew he was alive!)

I know it has just been put together or still in progress; but have YOU actually flipped any balls on the game yet with magnets working to see if they work as intended? I am a little skeptical that the magnet between the flippers will end up being nothing but a ball drain trap, as gravity will make ball drop STDM once magnet power is released and that "kirk post" better have super bouncing rubber to help recover from gravity and drain. Also wondering how powerful those magnets are so as to not interfere with flipper shots near flipper tips. Are magnet's power, operator adjustable or possibly to be disabled if the flipper magnet interferes too much with game play?
    Another question, once a specimen is captured, will that magnet be disabled until next ball in play?

#720 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

I know it has just been put together or still in progress; but have YOU actually flipped any balls on the game yet with magnets working to see if they work as intended? I am a little skeptical that the magnet between the flippers will end up being nothing but a ball drain trap, as gravity will make ball drop STDM once magnet power is released and that "kirk post" better have supper bouncing rubber to help recover from gravity and drain. Also wondering how powerful those magnets are so as to not interfere with flipper shots near flipper tips. Are magnet's power, operator adjustable or possibly to be disabled if the flipper magnet interferes too much with game play?
    Another question, once a specimen is captured, will that magnet be disabled until next ball in play?

I've flipped it a bit along the way. The magnets are not as strong as I'd like them to be (think MagnaSave) but Harry couldn't possibly have expected them to be, as they weren't very strong on Torchy either. The problem is they are on 100% of the time and would slag down if they were too powerful. Basically most magnets in pins are made just crazy strong, and the designers have to promise not to keep them on very much. Having said that, I'm pretty sure I (with a huuuuuuuge debt of gratitude to Andrew Barney at APB for putting up with all my crazy requests for different magnet designs to test out) have hit upon a good non-slagging magnet that still flings the ball about enough to be interesting.

It's actually fun to let the ball dance around on top of the KirkPost and not even try to flip it. I think there are going to be a lot more saved balls than hosed balls, but that's part of the fun of this design (and the double-edged sword of KirkPosts in general.)

No, "specimen captured" is just a light rule. The magnets are always on.

The Ball Is Wild.

If you want a game where the ball always does what you expect, goes where you intended it when you make a decently precise shot, etc. go talk to The King Of Flow. Harry is "The Ball Is Wild" guy.

#721 5 years ago

Hopefully all that will play out like Harry (and you) intended,
    also hope it has the right mix of randomness and give and take for the player.
    Just an idea if the magnet by the flippers is too drainy,
    maybe convert the kirk post into a little demon post (ala Fireball II) to even things out;
    though I know you probably want to keep design as orignal as possible.
    Wish I could be there at the unveiling,
    but hope to see soon it at some other venue (Pacific Pinball Museum?)
    or Harry Williams lost PF designs tour.

#722 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Just an idea if the magnet by the flippers is too drainy,
    maybe convert the kirk post into a little demon post (ala Fireball II) to even things out;
    though I know you probably want to keep design as orignal as possible.

Yeah, even ignoring the anachronism of an 80s Bally linear slingshot mech to move the post in a 70s Williams game, there's simply nowhere there to put that or any other mech.

firefly_bottom_20180415_01_edit (resized).jpgfirefly_bottom_20180415_01_edit (resized).jpg

#723 5 years ago

Bump again to see if anyone has a Friday EM tourney ticket they won't be able to use. Please don't let my streak of mediocrity die!

#724 5 years ago

I have e-mail to show I payed for tickets, is this what I show at the gate? I think clay has answered this before but I can’t seem to find it. Thank you

#725 5 years ago
    Quoted from Beyndtstng:

I have e-mail to show I payed for tickets, is this what I show at the gate? I think clay has answered this before but I can’t seem to find it. Thank you

Sure bring the email confirmation for sure. If you gave Clay your name(s) when you ordered you can tell them your name at the entrance also.

#726 5 years ago

Bring a copy of the PayPal receipt for the tickets, it the easiest way for the staff to check off folks.

#727 5 years ago

I guy just contacted me with 4 saturday tickets. he has a funeral and can't come. email him if anyone can use them.
    busterjg7199 at gmail dot come

#728 5 years ago

in addition to bringing your paypal receipt, it helps to know the name associated with that account. yes, this sounds like a basic thing, but its a huge time savings for echovictor when he's attempting to look up the transaction

(surprisingly, more than a few people have more than one paypal account)

#729 5 years ago

Two days to go!

The new tile has been set

Screenshot_20180430-003023 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180430-003023 (resized).png

#730 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

or take 5 seconds and search for last year's thread [here] and filter down to clay's replies
    or this (last years thread posts 311 and 312):
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-arbor-mi-vfw-pinball-show-2017/page/7#post-3742592

....but it only takes 3 seconds to ask about it and have you be their bitch.

#731 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

So for the beer drinkers that are going to meet up in the parking lot. what time do we want to meet up in the parking lot? I'm going to pull out a camping chair and have a breakfast beer before going in. I will probably start at 9:30

Set up by the bee hives so we can smoke out

#732 5 years ago

Best deal of the day for me is always the price of gasoline compared to Ontario.

Still looking for some wall hanger arcade marquees.
    If you have a wall hanger NGS pf available PM me.

#733 5 years ago
    Quoted from Puffdanny:

Set up by the bee hives so we can smoke out

NICE!!!!!

#734 5 years ago
    Quoted from newmantjn:

....but it only takes 3 seconds to ask about it and have you be their bitch.

nope, I'm not running the door this year. apparently, I've been demoted to a club member level lower than "rust". (something about the fact that I was smiling too much which made it appear as if I wasn't doing any "actual" work

at least I'm not boag (aka "bathroom stall boy"

#735 5 years ago

j_m_ I heard you are working security in the woodrail section

#736 5 years ago
    Quoted from Puffdanny:

j_m_ I heard you are working security in the woodrail section

All wrong as he is the guest beekeeper for the weekend.

#737 5 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

All wrong as he is the guest beekeeper for the weekend.

Then he bether bring some top shelf medical grade "honey"

#738 5 years ago
    Quoted from BMHouze:

Best deal of the day for me is always the price of gasoline compared to Ontario.
    Still looking for some wall hanger arcade marquees.
    If you have a wall hanger NGS pf available PM me.

But don't you have "metric" aka Imperial gallons? those are bigger no?

#739 5 years ago

Anyone have a extra ticket for Saturday and me a message

#740 5 years ago

Anyone have an em racing arcade game for sale?

#741 5 years ago

Was bringing 7 Eskimoes with me from the Great White North. One has backed out, he has to maintain the igloo now that Spring has sprung. So I've got a single available for Friday and Saturday. PM if interested.

#742 5 years ago

I've got some dragonmilk reserve 4-pk's that I will probably never drink and would like to unload
    I can bring the following with me if people are interested in purchasing them:
    dragonmilk reserve (I have one 4-pk of each) - $20 per 4-pk
    - salted caramel
    - mocha mint
    DKML - $25 for the 4-pk

and for the rich among you, I have a sealed bottle of sam adam's utopias 2017 - $350

#743 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I've got some dragonmilk reserve 4-pk's that I will probably never drink and would like to unload
    I can bring the following with me if people are interested in purchasing them:
    dragonmilk reserve (I have one 4-pk of each) - $20 per 4-pk
    - salted caramel
    - mocha mint
    DKML - $25 for the 4-pk
    and for the rich among you, I have a sealed bottle of sam adam's utopias 2017 - $350

I'll be happy to find some fresh M-43 or Boss Tweed in the store while in for the show.

#744 5 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

I'll be happy to find some fresh M-43 or Boss Tweed in the store while in for the show.

I have 2-3 in my fridge. At least one has your name on it..

#745 5 years ago
    Quoted from swillie:

Sure bring the email confirmation for sure. If you gave Clay your name(s) when you ordered you can tell them your name at the entrance also.

Email confirmation it is! For those folks coming in on Thursday, where is the best place to go for a wide selection of games with a full liquor bar within 10-15 minutes of VFW? I saw the recommendation earlier of the available places but need to know which should be my long stop? We should get into town around 4. Thank you

#746 5 years ago

BACKGLASSES

Playboy - I had it sold, but the guy forgot to pick it up at Kzoo. $25 (SOLD)
    Contest- Now mounted in it's cut down back box, suitable for a wall hanging. $25
    Spot 'Em - Bingo. Great shape, but...its a Bingo. $15 (SOLD)
    Eight Ball - A hanger for sure. $15

Or make me an offer on the lot.

Can bring to the VFW Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

Todd Newman

IMG_2374 (resized).jpgIMG_2374 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2375 (resized).jpgIMG_2375 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2376 (resized).jpgIMG_2376 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2378 (resized).jpgIMG_2378 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2380 (resized).jpgIMG_2380 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2386 (resized).jpgIMG_2386 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2387 (resized).jpgIMG_2387 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2388 (resized).jpgIMG_2388 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2502 (resized).jpgIMG_2502 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2503 (resized).jpgIMG_2503 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2504 (resized).jpgIMG_2504 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2505 (resized).jpgIMG_2505 (resized).jpg

#747 5 years ago
    Quoted from newmantjn:

BACKGLASSES
    Playboy - I had it sold, but the guy forgot to pick it up at Kzoo. $25
    Contest- Now mounted in it's cut down back box, suitable for a wall hanging. $25
    Spot 'Em - Bingo. Great shape, but...its a Bingo. $15
    Todd Newman

I will take the playboy Glass
    Bob E.

#748 5 years ago

I have two tickets for Saturday. PM me, or gmail busterjg7199

#749 5 years ago

I have one ticket available for Saturday. PM me if interested.

#750 5 years ago
    Quoted from newmantjn:

BACKGLASSES
    Playboy - I had it sold, but the guy forgot to pick it up at Kzoo. $25
    Spot 'Em - Bingo. Great shape, but...its a Bingo. $15
    Todd Newman

wtf?!? that basement is a pigsty. get it organized!!!
    -cfh

There are 944 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 19.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-arbor-mi-vfw-pinball-show-2018/page/15?hl=frobozz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.