Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 693 posts
  • 133 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Azmodeus
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    VFW 2018 Teaser (resized).JPG
    2018_vfwshow2_v2 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    111111111111111111 (resized).jpg
    brainbleach (resized).jpg
    far-side-cartoon-blah-blah-ginger (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170518_183905_752 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2017-05-17-14-20-43-1 (resized).png
    baby legs (resized).jpg
    20170505_165938_resized (resized).jpg
    20170507_114908 (resized).jpg
    20170507_101558 (resized).jpg
    terrific (resized).jpg
    p3 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robotron911.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#170 7 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

Guys and girls Ann arbor is so diverse in food and culture there is no other town to eat in that is better spent around there. Unless you drive to slows. (Slows bbq in detriot is I think rated best in the world). Maybe worth the long drive.
    Ann Arbor is one of the coolest towns on earth. Enjoy!

Whoa....you might wanna slow your roll on "the best in the world" barbecue claim. It might be the best in Michigan (which is like being the smartest person in the Appalachians) but the best BBQ resides in KC, Memphis or Texas, depending on what style you like.

1 month later
    #329 6 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

There were 15-20 minute delays this weekend at peak times of the day because of lane closures, so plan on adding some travel time. On second thought ... the crowds would be a little lighter at the start of the show for some of us locals if you forget to plan for this.

I think you are being a bit optimistic on the delay. I had to take this route twice to get my son's stuff home from the University of Michigan. The drive for me is normally about 45 minutes total. One trip took 1:20 and the other 1:40. Any time before 10:00am or after about 3pm are exponentially worse with commuters.

And a secondary warning, I saw 4-5 police cruisers (about half unmarked) giving out tickets in the traffic zones for what I am assuming for speeding.

Please give yourself LOTS of extra time and drive within 5 miles of construction speed limit! Getting a ticket is a terrible way to start what should be an awesome day. Now, if the weather report will improve. It's looking to be unseasonably cold this weekend.

#330 6 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

Regarding the work on 23, are you saying it is congested south of the VFW exit? Have you seen it easier to come in from the north?
    We're flying in Friday afternoon and get into DTW about 3:00pm. I figure it will be at least 3:30 before we are on the road and wonder if we shoud take 275 up to 96 and then come in from the north on 23. Obviously we'll look at traffic on Friday and see what looks best.

Yes, come from the north, if at all possible.

#376 6 years ago

Counting down....t-minus 2 days and counting! I used to get this way about Christmas when I was a kid.

Great event (year 3 for me) and getting to talk to some of the folks on here is just as much fun as the pinball. BTW, if anyone needs an original version of the Swinks snack bar mod, I have one I never installed that I can bring to the VFW to sell.

#454 6 years ago

The new building.

#468 6 years ago
    Quoted from finman2000:

Agreed. Someone was crop dusting pretty bad too. Really people?? Walk outside for a minute. No one wants to smell you.

Thank God you posted this. I was going to post this but was having second thoughts. Seriously, there was some serious crop dusting going on and it wasn't just the fellas. It's packed pretty tight in there on a Saturday, so getting a whiff of someone's rancid ass while in the middle of a game is an unwelcome jolt.

1. Pinball courtesy was the lowest I have seen in the three years I have been coming. Lots of instances where a person was playing 3-4 players on a game, even more instances of people walking away from games before they were over and if I had a dollar from getting hit, not a bump but damn running into me, while playing I could have paid for both days admission and couple of nice meals.
    2. The photography and selfies were getting a little out of hand at times. I played games where I would have someone stick their hand right over me with the cell phone during a game to take a picture of the playfield.
    3. The space between rows is pretty tight. Some you guys need to be aware that you aren't exactly petite flowers.

Positives:
    1. This is still by and far the best experience to play literally every game you can imagine in a clean environment with a huge dedicated staff of member volunteers that kept the games running and addressed any play issue damn near immediately.
    2. The folks at VFW are friendly and unabashedly enthusiastic during this weekend.
    3. Even on a busy Saturday, I don't think I waited more than 5 minutes to play a game and that was for the Aerosmith, Hobbit and Dialed In. Everything else was far less and most of the time a quick walk found a game I wanted to play open. Folks were very good about looking if someone was waiting.
    4. The food shack is a great amenity to grab a quick bite if you don't want to miss time driving to a restaurant and the free pastries and Dominoes pizza for the EM tournament was awesome guys.
    5. There were games and merchandise for sale. Prestige brought a truckload of some really rough games (neglected, incomplete) and playfields (alot of rare Zachs) in equally rough shape, but if you were looking for a project (or just wall art) they were wheeling and dealing. My whole event was made by the fact that I was able to buy a NOS set of BTTF plastics!

Lot's of Pinsiders there and all were super friendly and it was great to put names to faces. Thanks to all who make this event happen. I can't wait for next years (less some of the flatulence).

#478 6 years ago
    Quoted from redman822:

Also was smelling not just BO, but also the scent of wacky weed on some people. My daughter noticed it last year too, although the number of people smelling of it was less than last year. I used the opportunity last year as a teaching moment to let her know if she ever tried it I WILL know.
    Regardless, it was another awesome day/event and I'm already looking forward to next year! Thanks to everyone who runs this, you all do an awesome job and are amazing how fast you get games repaired when they happen to go down!

This close to Ann Arbor, I didn't give the smell of pot a second thought.

2 weeks later
    #663 6 years ago

Crap, are we giving ourselves out titles now?!? Well then, I'm appointing myself the Count of Commerce Township.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robotron911.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-arbor-mi-vfw-pinball-show-2017?tu=robotron911 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.