Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 693 posts
  • 133 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Azmodeus
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    VFW 2018 Teaser (resized).JPG
    2018_vfwshow2_v2 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    111111111111111111 (resized).jpg
    brainbleach (resized).jpg
    far-side-cartoon-blah-blah-ginger (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170518_183905_752 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2017-05-17-14-20-43-1 (resized).png
    baby legs (resized).jpg
    20170505_165938_resized (resized).jpg
    20170507_114908 (resized).jpg
    20170507_101558 (resized).jpg
    terrific (resized).jpg
    p3 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrbally.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Cannot wait! My favorite show!

Even more Machines next show!

3 months later
    #42 7 years ago
    Quoted from spiroagnew:

Still disappointed that the show conflicts with Allentown, but I guess those are the breaks. I just can't miss picking through the junk piles at the Pinfest swapmeet and the great food at the farmer's market. I've been to the first three VFW shows and had a blast...a top tier show for sure. Hopefully next year!

I'm happy that this year's VFW Pinball Show will finally not conflict with Pin-a-Go-Go. I work the VFW all three days and have been unable to go West. Until this year........

1 month later
    #92 7 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

I really wish I could go I am from Michigan originally.
    Anyways I hope that I get to come to what sounds to be an amazing show, Someday from California now, I hope to get there.
    My old favorite restaurants in the general area:
    Hercs prime rib Ypsilanti.
    Forbidden city Chinese -Ypsilanti
    Cottage inn pizza-Ann arbor
    Bells pizza open all friggin night really open til like 4 am.

All of the Herc's in the Detroit area are long gone. Dearborn Heights, Livonia, Waterford, Farmington and Ypsi. That said, Knight's on the West side of Ann Arbor has great roast beef on their lunch menu.

#93 7 years ago

Also note a major road construction (CONstruction?) project is underway on US 23 from M-14 in Ann Arbor to both of the VFW Pinball exits which could cause problems during the expected heavy traffic for the VFW Pinball Show.

Plan alternate routes in advance and use Google Maps or the Waze App to get you to the show without delays.

http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,4616,7-151-9621_11058-316825--,00.html

#96 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlife:

VFW has what I consider to be the best pinball collection on the planet. If you haven't been then there then you really should make it a point to attend. It's a bit jaw dropping in its scope; all manufacturers and eras are well represented.
    Ticket sales are limited, so if you have a ticket you will not have to fight for game space. Very refreshing.
    Terry.

And even you have been there before, a 3rd building has added bringing the game count to 350. Year one was 200 games. An Annex was added for year two bringing the count to 250. the Annex was added onto for year three allowing 300 games. Now, a second Annex is on the site to allow 350 machines.

Tickets are going fast. Order now at www.vfwpinball.com

4 weeks later
    #129 7 years ago
    Quoted from thewool:

Is there a place to get food and drink at the show, beer preferably

Yes.

#132 7 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

So if you end up getting eliminated in the Saturday tournament are there games available to continue play on?

Yes.

#158 7 years ago
    Quoted from Backyardace:

How many tickets did you sell for Saturday or is that top secret?

We can't disclose that at this time.

#192 7 years ago
    Quoted from nsduprr:

No. Just standard size. Limited quantities. Don't expect to be able pick up a dozen sheets.
    Doug D.

TheLaw had an issue picking up three sheets last year. I helped clean up the issue.

#193 7 years ago

For BBQ, Rudy's in the DFW Metroplex is the best I've ever tasted. I've been to hundreds as I've traveled a lot for my job over the past 30+ years.

1 week later
    #209 7 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

that would be gary monarch

It could be his brother Mark as well....

1 week later
    #225 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

3 weeks from now, i will be back here, asking for the latest updates on road construction
    coming from DTW to the VFW and the best way to go and what roads to avoid.

What time, on what day do you plan to drive from DTW to VFW?

#231 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

I arrive into DTW about 6AM Friday morning (taking a red-eye from Portland)
    renting a car and driving, so not too worried about getting to show on time
    as that leaves me with about 4 hrs to get some grub on the way
    and still arrive in time for EM tourney start and show checkin at 10AM.
    Just want to avoid (stop and go) traffic jams. I am bringing my TomTom GPS.
    More worried about trip back to DTW airport on Sunday AM
    as my plane leaves Detroit at 7:20AM
    So probably will get up early (4AM) ,
    (assuming I am not too drunk and pass out and oversleep)
    to insure i have time to return rental car
    and get thru security at airport in time to get to gate on time.
    Assume traffic will not be too bad on sunday AM,
    but that might be when construction obstacles/detours are at their peak.
    I am willing to take the (in direct) long way around
    as long as it is not too far off the beaten path.
    I was planning to take the I-275 to I-96 to Brighton then hiway23 south to the show,
    unless that route is in direct path of major construction.
    Try to avoid driving thru Ann Arbor all together.
    I figure it should take 60 minutes max (either direction).

That's a good route to take to avoid the US 23 construction in progress from Ann Arbor to the Northernmost VFW exit. Only thing is that I-275 North can back up due to commuter traffic or worse if an accident occurs between 6:30 & 7:30 am. Since a lot of Red-Eyes get in early with tailwinds, check traffic on Waze or Google maps. If you're hungry for breakfast either go to the Cracker Barrel on I-94 & Belleville Road (two miles west of I-275 on I-94) or Scrambler Marie's in Canton (use waze to get there). Then resume your drive to VFW. If traffic seems clear, there's the Lil Chef in Brighton just West of US-23 on I-96 that also has good breakfast.

See you at the show!

#234 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Also any strange traffic laws i should be aware of in Michigan.
    What is policy on U-turns and school zones
    and right turns on red stop lights and pedestrian right of way.
    In Oregon all U-Turns are illegal
    (unless specifically allowed by signage, only 2 places in SalemOR)
    and school zones are 20MPH instead of 25.
    And how stringent and stealth are State police on Speeding on interstate or Hiway?.

Traffic flows at 15-20 over the posted limits on Detroit area freeways when traffic allows. Cops usually write you at 13 over.

#237 7 years ago
    Quoted from dhard:

For speeding use 10% rule example 70mph x 10%=7 so 77 in a 70 and you shouldn't get bothered

You will get bothered by other drivers though on I-275 & I-696 during morning & afternoon drive times. Flipped off, cut off & brakes slammed on, High beams and riding your ass by pick-up trucks etc. Been doing the commute on those highways for over 35 years ( soon after 275 opened and prior to the completion of I-696.

1 week later
    #247 7 years ago

And in three weeks, another one will be for the books......

1 week later
    #299 6 years ago

Final preparations are underway.... Ballykid & I left there around 1 am after a crew worked on lots of games and getting the site ready for next weekend......

20170429_011633 (resized).jpg20170429_011633 (resized).jpg

#300 6 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

This was the line-up in the first building 6 months ago ... in case you want a sneak peak at which row things are "probably" still in.
    » YouTube video

With the addition of the 2nd Annex this year, lineup changes in the main building have taken place.

#304 6 years ago

To handle the increasing traffic to the annual VFW/Ann Arbor Pinball Shows and charity events; the Michigan Department of Transportation is reconstructing and widening US 23 from the M-14 interchange to the M-36 / VFW interchange. Construction is underway and is expected to be completed for the 2018 show. Attendees of the 2017 show are asked to use caution in the construction zone, obey posted speed limits and be alert for lane shifts and closures.

20170421_183649 (resized).jpg20170421_183649 (resized).jpg

#307 6 years ago

The for sale machines can be dropped off any time. Remember, this is posted on the website so Pinside is not the only Media involved.
    I believe there were already three there this past Friday as we are preparing for the show.

#311 6 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

Regarding the work on 23, are you saying it is congested south of the VFW exit? Have you seen it easier to come in from the north?
    We're flying in Friday afternoon and get into DTW about 3:00pm. I figure it will be at least 3:30 before we are on the road and wonder if we shoud take 275 up to 96 and then come in from the north on 23. Obviously we'll look at traffic on Friday and see what looks best.

Approaching from the North, heading South on US 23 to Exit #55 is best. HOWEVER, at 3:30 on Fridays, I-275 Northbound can be really heavy from the I-96 Junction about seven miles North of I-94. Plus, I-96 West from the I-275/M-5 interchange will be a parking lot. Between 3:30 and 4:00pm, best to take I-94 West to US-23 North and deal with traffic.
    If your flight is delayed and you get out of DTW after 4:00, use the Waze or Google Maps app to find the best route timing wise. There are surface streets Northward from the West side of Ann Arbor that may be faster.

Have a safe trip and we'll see you Friday in the late afternoon.

#314 6 years ago
    Quoted from trufflepiggy:

There was about 30 minutes delay for southbound US 23 traffic on Sunday just after noon. That could be avoided by exiting at Lee Rd and using Whitmore Lake Rd. Southbound. As for getting from the airport to the VFW at rush hour, there are several alternatives from the east. Even Merriman to 8 mile, joggle north to 9 mile on Pontiac Trail (South Lyon) and continue west past US 23 to Whitmore Lake rd. works well, considering there are no expressways used. Please do not be late for the start of the Friday AM tournament, last year we had to start with several people missing out due to their tardiness. It can take some time to register, so please make sure you arrive early.

Keep in mind that one lane was closed on Southbound US-23 from 8pm Friday until 5am Monday which caused the backup. It won't be closed this Friday until after the evening rush if at all.

#316 6 years ago
    Quoted from BMHouze:

I got 100 usd for saturday. Only ran me 140 cdn....
    Was par not that long ago....

We welcome visitors from the home of Titan Trailers to the Ann Arbor Michigan/ VFW Pinball show. Travel safe.

#322 6 years ago
    Quoted from Lefman:

Is there an updated list of pins that will be for sale?? Still looking

No.

#344 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Pictured next to a fucking Data East...the final insult

With the hipster skeleton gloves. Only thing missing is a can of PBR....

#366 6 years ago

Sounds like a trick question/statement....

#368 6 years ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

I'm just very stoked to see the place finally and come out to the show, coming Friday night to hang and chill then to the show in the AM Saturday and through the EM Saturday night tournament. Really excited, taking a road trip with a long time friend who also likes to play pins so should be a real fun trip and show! Happy to here about Gary and Abel bringing Dialed in and some other JJPs. See ya all there looking forward to meeting a lot of great folks! Oh and I heard there will be Pinball too!!!

I'd like to meet you. Look me up. I'll be one of the red shirt techs all three days. Ask for Bruce

#371 6 years ago

Wow, I'm a pig and never thought of anything remotely along those lines.

Just wanted to say hello and talk pinball for a minute before the boss yells at me for goofing off....

#377 6 years ago
    Quoted from BMHouze:

Only thong to top this would be having Ted Nugent show up with his namesake autographed by the motor city madman.

I think two tickets are registered to an "Amboy Duke". Not sure which day though. If Uncle Ted shows up with one of the Wangettes, I'm sure the door thugs will let them in as long as they have a copy of their PayPal receipt.

#385 6 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

Any chance of a Batman 66, Aerosmith or Alien being there?

Yes, there is a chance.

#393 6 years ago
    Quoted from Sarge:

WHO CARES
    WE GOT BIG JUICY MELONS!
    And thats all that really matters...

What really matters is that there's a 4 Queens and Gay '90's in that building. Great stuff.

#394 6 years ago
    Quoted from thewool:

Hey for those that have been before does it get hot in there with all the pins and humans, is it shorts and tshirts?
    Cheers!

We are having this show two weeks earlier than in prior years. Air conditioning is usually required due to the heat from the equipment & people. This year it is very cold & damp. Shorts & T-Shirts may not be the most comfortable outfit.

#400 6 years ago

Well, this is the day it starts for the 2017 show.

Travel safe everyone.....

#404 6 years ago

Northbound US 23 is very congested just North of the Ann Arbor area due to VFW traffic.....

20170505_113258 (resized).jpg20170505_113258 (resized).jpg

#426 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Good first day; no major issues.

Demo Man is down again.....

#445 6 years ago

Northbound US-23 is getting CONgested before M-36/9 mile road. Exit prior and get to 8 Mile Road and take it West to Lemen Road to M36 west. Follow to Spicer to the show.

20170506_092624 (resized).jpg20170506_092624 (resized).jpg

#452 6 years ago
    Quoted from thewool:

My first US show now I'm at the airport heading back to the UK... Amazing couple of days, great place, excellent staff, fantastic pinheads, oh and some very nice machines...
    Enjoy Sunday to those who are there! Cheers!

Glad you enjoyed yourself....

#456 6 years ago

East end of the property.
    Main building.
    Annex 1 is North of main building, Annex 2 is east of main building. You can easily access it from the door out of the "VIP" room of the main building.

Photo is looking South. On the right is the "back" of the main building. On the left is a partial view of "the new building/Annex 2"

20170324_181924 (resized).jpg20170324_181924 (resized).jpg

#552 6 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

did anyone notice the software modifications to Flash, Trizone, Time Warp, Gulfstream and Nitro Ground Shaker? that is, did you get multi-ball?

Yes. But some purists will call those modifications "hacks".

#562 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

Was there a poker tournament at this show?

20170507_101558 (resized).jpg20170507_101558 (resized).jpg

20170507_114908 (resized).jpg20170507_114908 (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #643 6 years ago

FYI, This was the fourth year of the show. Year one had no annex. There was a storage garage with part of it used for limited food sales.

5 months later
    #671 6 years ago

For the 2018 show (I'll let Clay start the thread when he wishes) the US 23 FlexRoute supplemental lanes will be available to handle the traffic congestion.

They are getting ready to open.

http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,4616,7-151-9621_11008_78923---,00.html

1 month later
    #678 6 years ago
    Quoted from BMHouze:

Can I preorder a poster with my tix?

As of now, no.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrbally.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-arbor-mi-vfw-pinball-show-2017?tu=mrbally and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.