Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 693 posts
  • 133 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Azmodeus
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    VFW 2018 Teaser (resized).JPG
    2018_vfwshow2_v2 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    111111111111111111 (resized).jpg
    brainbleach (resized).jpg
    far-side-cartoon-blah-blah-ginger (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170518_183905_752 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2017-05-17-14-20-43-1 (resized).png
    baby legs (resized).jpg
    20170505_165938_resized (resized).jpg
    20170507_114908 (resized).jpg
    20170507_101558 (resized).jpg
    terrific (resized).jpg
    p3 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kingbw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 7 years ago

The show was great this last May and "in the neighborhood" which makes it even better. My wife and I went for 2 FULL days last year, had a blast ... and a little carpal tunnel afterwards. We played many machines that we never played before and was a good time. Looking forward to it again in 2017!

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from PiscisMagnus:

Yes, the VFW has about 50 trained monkeys.

One of the best shows because of it. I like that there are lots of "chaperone monkeys" to make sure the machines are not abused and are right there and handy if a ball gets stuck somewhere. Very helpful. Wish all the expos had half as many of those monkeys walking around and keeping an eye on things.

3 months later
    #34 7 years ago

My wife & I are in! This was a great show last year. Add 50 more pins this year ... 350 or more total ... oh, yes! Something you have to experience if you never have.

2 weeks later
    #70 7 years ago

Hopefully some distributors show up with a Dialed-In and a Aerosmith that are up-to-date with code and features. This show last year had a Hobbit that sold my wife on what our next pin would be at the time. We are looking at options for our next NIB pin and would like to try those two.

Our main reason to go is to have fun and play about 200 of the 350 other pins that Clay has though.

3 weeks later
    #90 7 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I thought I would post some good places to eat around the VFW for those of you looking to dine in the brighton / ann arbor area

For something "different" go West from the VFW location. The night doesn't have to end after pinball ...

Zukely Lake Tavern - nice large sports bar/grill, about 5 minutes West on M36, usually has live bands of a Blues or Country genre on Friday and Saturday.

Pinckney Pub - bar/grill, about 10 minutes West just off of M36, almost always has live bands mostly of Country genre, sometimes Classic Rock on Friday and Saturday.

Hell Saloon - in Hell! Ya gotta go to Hell! About 15 minutes West, always has lives bands usually of Classic Rock genre, rarely Country on Friday and Saturday. Nice smaller sports bar with good Pizza and some spicy food items (like chili) to go with the Hell theme.

I'll update what genre of bands will be at these locations when the time gets closer. No "cover charge" at any of these locations.

#99 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

is it that Close?
    Been seeing the shirts my whole life, haven't gotten there yet

Yes - Zukey Lake Tavern is not far away at all.

1 month later
    #174 6 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

we have glass for sale at the show (usually)

PDI? Invisiglass?

1 week later
    #207 6 years ago

I talked to the Abel guy that was at the Ohio Show today. I asked if he would give us a price break if I could get a group of people together to make a group purchase of JJP Invisiglass and have him bring the Invisiglass to the VFW show. He said that we could negotiate something. I'm guessing it would just be the normal JJP discount for multiple sheets. The shipping costs are the killer. Shoot me a PM within the next couple of days if you are seriously interested so that I can give him a approximate count for determining cost. Include number of sheets of which size - standard or wide body. We would then need to commit with a payment.

#210 6 years ago

Earlier in this thread i asked if anyone was interested in going in on a group buy of JJP Invisiglass for the VFW show. If interested, PM me with size (standard or wide body) and number of sheets by Thursday and I will give the count to Gary at Abel (JJP distributor) on Friday to see what kind of cost we can work out. So far we have interested parties for a total of 4-5 sheets.

1 week later
    #243 6 years ago

**** JJP Invisiglass Sale at the VFW and PATZ Show ****

I received the prices that Gary from Abel worked out with JJP for a Invisiglass sale at the shows. He is going to include the PATZ show if we can quickly get a count in time for that. It all depends on how many will actually firmly commit. The more sheets that are purchased by this group buy, the cheaper it will be. Gary's cash payment prices are as follows:

10 total group sheets or more = $255 each
    8 total group sheets or more = $265 each
    6 total group sheets or more = $275 each

Gary said that the price includes tax and his delivery to the shows for your pickup. He needs at least a weeks notice, so for the group discount to be in time for the PATZ event, we need a definite committed count by Friday. Gary will disclose how he will accept the group cash payment (the logistics of how we can get this done) once we get the count.

PM me with your committed count of sheets and what size - Standard or Wide Body, and which show you would pick the glass up at (VFW or PATZ). Give me your "real" name and phone number too to pass along to Gary. We will likely use your phone number as your password to acquire your sheets at the show (or something similar). More updates will follow as Gary feeds me the info/directions. Let's at least get 10 sheets as a group for the best discount.

#244 6 years ago

Last call for the Invisiglass sale (see post above this one ^^^). PM me by 5pm and I'll give the total count to Gary at Abel to bring to the show.

2 weeks later
    #296 6 years ago

This was the line-up in the first building 6 months ago ... in case you want a sneak peak at which row things are "probably" still in.

#305 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

To handle the increasing traffic to the annual VFW/Ann Arbor Pinball Shows and charity events; the Michigan Department of Transportation is reconstructing and widening US 23 from the M-14 interchange to the M-36 / VFW interchange. Construction is underway and is expected to be completed for the 2018 show. Attendees of the 2017 show are asked to use caution in the construction zone, obey posted speed limits and be alert for lane shifts and closures.

There were 15-20 minute delays this weekend at peak times of the day because of lane closures, so plan on adding some travel time. On second thought ... the crowds would be a little lighter at the start of the show for some of us locals if you forget to plan for this.

#332 6 years ago
    Quoted from steviechs:

. If anyone wants to check it out and provide feedback on what you'd want to see, let me know

Being able to sort by game name (to find it in the list) or by "don't forget" first. Is this an app we can download and use ourselves? I know this isn't possible now, but maybe add the pinside rating, maybe at least for the top 100 solid states. I missed a few of the top 20 last year. But i guess i would just check those off as the "don't forgets" ahead of time. Man, homework before the show ... really?

Something like this would be cool to have setup and ready on your phone when you walk in the door.

#336 6 years ago

I got a deal for people attending the VFW show from fellow Pinsider @kirboturbo. Recently he posted a pic in a game room thread of his "Pinball Rules" plaque. I wanted one of those but it was too costly just for one of them. We worked out making a more generic list of rules (not personalized) and a economical rigid material that will not break if it falls off of the wall. We decided on a 16x20 size so that people could frame it if they wanted to (but really not necessary). I wanted to try to setup a group buy on this for the VFW show, but it is too late. Instead I bought a lot of 12 of these to bring the price per piece down. I will be at the show on Saturday and Sunday and will have these available for $25 cash ... by gracious pricing from Kirby. I'm not making anything off of these ... just passing along some good pricing with Kirby "for the good of pinball" for those that are interested. He had said that a few other people contacted him about it. I do not have a booth, so find me. On Saturday, I will be wearing a shirt that looks like a skeleton is tearing it's way out of my shirt with a Heighway Pinball baseball hat. If people are interested that are just going Friday, PM me and I'll likely go up to the VFW at maybe 7:30PM for you (I live 15 minutes away.) It is first come, first serve on the first batch of 12. We will see where it goes from there. If there are any left over after the show I will post them for sale in a separate thread.

Note that the watermark would be removed on the final copy. Kirby will have these mailed to me prior to the show.

16x20 PinballRules (resized).jpg16x20 PinballRules (resized).jpg

#359 6 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

it's "chimp flipping" not "monkey flipping". otherwise looks good.

Kirby says that must be a "Michigan thing" as their part of the country call it "Monkey Flipping". I caught him just in time and he will change it to "Chimp Flipping" just for our group that buys this batch. They are being printed today.

If someone can read the sign after drinking and pronounce that one correctly, they are probably still ok ... or don't need to be cut-off yet. Dual purpose sign.

#389 6 years ago

I told a few people that I would post area pubs/bars that had entertainment (bands). You may need a break if you are there multiple days. I scouted out places in my area (West of US23) and have the following info:

Zukey Lake Tavern is a nice large sports bar that has a lot of different draft beers. They will have a blues band on Friday night and a Country/Classic Rock band on Saturday night. Less than 5 miles West, about 12 min drive.
    http://zukeylaketavern.com/Directions_frameset.htm

Pinckney Pub & Grill is a little smaller than Zukey Lake Tavern, has some TVs for watching sports. They will have a Country/Classic Rock band on Friday night, and a Country band on Saturday night. About 10 miles away, about 19 min drive
    http://www.pinckneypubandgrill.com/

Hell Saloon ... Ya gotta go to Hell while you're near it. A nice sports bar with good chili. On Friday they will have a Classic Rock band there that also touts guitar solos and riffs. On Saturday night they will have a different Classic Rock band. About 14 miles West, and about a 23 min drive.
    http://www.hellsaloon.com/hours-location/

#412 6 years ago

The "Pinball Rules" plaques arrived today! I will be heading up to VFW to sell them in the parking lot at 7:30PM-8PM for the Friday only people that PM'd me. Meet me at the concession stand outside the main enterence door. If the concession stand is not there, I'll be outside the main door someplace. I'll be wearing a Heighway Pinball black hat, carrying a large box. Maybe a brown/tan golf umbrella if needed.

#418 6 years ago

There are 9 "Pinball Rules" plaques remaining. They turned out great! "Monkey Flipping" was changed to "Chimp Flipping". See the thread gallery for a image of the plaque. If you want to buy one, find me tomorrow. I will be wearing a black shirt with a skeleton on the back tearing it's way out of me.

#466 6 years ago

For anyone that wants the "Pinball Rules" plaque, find me at the show. On Sunday I will be wearing a dark blue Jersey Jack T-Shirt and a blue Kapow Batman baseball hat.

#499 6 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Saw two pieces of playfield glass get broken at different times near the Zac machines. Careful guys!

We saw a few people banging on the glass of pins loudly in frustration, a few people moving machines better than 6 inches for a nudge. No respect for other people's property. Some of the volunteers were keeping an eye on them. We spoke out a few times to people playing more players than they had people, and playing more games when people are waiting in line. My wife also caught someone walking away from a game and not finishing it , starting a different game close by ... it just got to her seeing that a few times and he got a lecture from her! They all had "excuses", but the way they played, they weren't newbies.

The show itself was fantastic as usual. Great chaperons helping out and getting right on the glitches that were reported. The pins were running and in great shape. Quick turn-a-round on fixing switch and solenoid issues. Clay (and VFW members) can't control the few people that stunk, or that don't obey proper pinball etiquette. With that in mind, it is THE best pinball show for playing pinball both from a hosting stand point, and an execution stand point.

1 week later
    #598 6 years ago

I got High Score #3 on AS while I was there. That was really fun to play. DI was fun and my with got almost 700k on that one. Nothing like her turning around smiling with a little hop. That's what it is all about. Great venue/show for playing lots of pinball.

1 week later
    #650 6 years ago

Dup

#651 6 years ago

Saturday was a little crowded (more than usual), but not nearly as bad as other shows. We were there the entire day on Saturday from open until close (before the tournament) and it was plenty of time for us. The Sunday hours were a little shorter ... maybe lengthen Sunday a couple of hours. The games were in great shape - the best of any show.

I live 15 minutes away and I'm a addicted pinhead. If you need some extra help with the show next year, even for a late night shindig shift, look me up. I'd be glad to help.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kingbw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-arbor-mi-vfw-pinball-show-2017?tu=kingbw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.