Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 693 posts
  • 133 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Azmodeus
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    VFW 2018 Teaser (resized).JPG
    2018_vfwshow2_v2 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    111111111111111111 (resized).jpg
    brainbleach (resized).jpg
    far-side-cartoon-blah-blah-ginger (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170518_183905_752 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2017-05-17-14-20-43-1 (resized).png
    baby legs (resized).jpg
    20170505_165938_resized (resized).jpg
    20170507_114908 (resized).jpg
    20170507_101558 (resized).jpg
    terrific (resized).jpg
    p3 (resized).jpg

There are 693 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 14.
    #101 7 years ago

Hi

I am looking for copies of "This old pinball" 7 and 4, I have mailed posted and begged everywhere. I was pointed in this direction to do the same

#102 7 years ago
    Quoted from alistaircg:

Hi
    I am looking for copies of "This old pinball" 7 and 4, I have mailed posted and begged everywhere. I was pointed in this direction to do the same

Send CFh a message.

#103 7 years ago
    Quoted from alistaircg:

Hi

http://www.pinrepair.com/topcast/past.php

#104 7 years ago
    Quoted from alistaircg:

http://pinrepair.com/top/

#105 7 years ago

I've been left with the impression that alistaircg has tried the website and has not heard back... I recommended he drop into this thread as I know cfh has been active here.

#106 7 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

I've been left with the impression that alistaircg has tried the website and has not heard back... I recommended he drop into this thread as I know cfh has been active here.

Have you seen the pinball ninja site? Way better than a VHS tape. I don't even have a VHS player anymore...

#107 7 years ago

Had a chance to visit these games over the weekend; incredible collection.
    Terry.

#108 7 years ago

Pinball Ninja does not work, it goes to a wordpress setup login, I mailed CFH and dropped him a message and mailed him on here... heard nothing yet

#109 7 years ago

Pinball Ninja requires a subscription for a nominal one time fee to gain login access.

#110 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Pinball Ninja requires a subscription for a nominal one time fee to gain login access.

and worth EVERY cent of that fee!

#111 7 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

no not a problem. if you want to send me an email i can add them. it's some problem i've been going around with paypal on and can't seem to get it fixed. [email protected]

E Mail sent to add names. Thanks Clay.

#112 7 years ago

If saturday is the day you want to come to the show, my suggestion is you get your ticket soon, numbers are getting low for saturday (and friday and sunday too!)

#113 7 years ago

I hear whysnow might have his for sale.

#114 7 years ago

If anyone bought a Friday 10:30am EM tournament ticket and can no longer make it/doesn't want it please PM me I will buy it off you!

#115 7 years ago

Can someone explain the "unique format" of the "pinball poker" tournament Saturday?

#116 7 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Can someone explain the "unique format" of the "pinball poker" tournament Saturday?

if it's like what we played at the club a few months ago, it was played like this:
    each round, you are randomly paired against someone on a random game and you play "best out of 3 games", the winner of the match gets a playing card. each round that you "win", you collect another playing card to use to form your best poker hand (royal flush, straight flush, 4 of a kind, full house, etc..)
    after the 1st and subsequent rounds, winners are paired with winners and the loser of the round goes into a 2nd pile to keep the matches interesting and from becoming one-sided. the more rounds that you win, the better (or equal) quality player you will be matched against

when either all of the cards have been dispensed or a set number of rounds played, the person with the best poker hand wins

given that there will probably be somewhere in the neighborhood of 64 players competing, my guess is that 5-6 decks of cards will be used

#117 7 years ago

Thanks, that sounds alright. During that tournament are there only match games going on, or are you also able to continue to enjoy playing other machines as well when you aren't having a match? The description kind of sounded like this was a way to get extended hours access, but it's not clear if it means for tournament play only. It's my first visit, and flying in, I'm thinking about maximizing my time.

Also, as long as I'm flying all that way, I thought I'd stay a few extra days as I've never been in the area. Are there any must-do's pinball or otherwise I should consider? I'm thinking about doing a drive around Lake Erie and making a few overnight stops. Anyone else doing similar? Any other PNW'ers coming? Might be fun to meet up.

#118 7 years ago

in past years, the EM tournament has been run "outside" of the regular open house hours on friday. the EM classic tournament starts before the doors open at 6pm and usually finishes up right around the time that the doors open for the regular patrons.

from the vfwpinball.com website:
    Pinball Tournament (Dominos Pizza sponsored.)
    Our tournament will be the “3RD ANNUAL EM WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS”, on Friday morning of the show at 10:30am. Note this is *before* the show opens, so there’s no problems with games being used in the tournament while the show is open. The tourney will be a match play, three strikes style event (note could be two strikes, depends on the number of participants.) That is, no qualifying, rounds start right at 10:30am sharp (please get to the show a early to sign in), and each round is about 15 minutes. It’s a best 2 out of 3 style rounds (two names and a game are randomly drawn from a hat, you play best 2 out of 3 games to determine a winner.) If you loose a round, that’s a strike. Three strikes and you’re out (due to time, this may be modified to two strikes.) We keep going until there’s just two people left, and that’s the finals. All play is on EM machines (perhaps some early solidstate chime machines too). Note there is no money to be won, just gift cards and trophies. Dominos Pizza will be providing lunch at noon, and Dominos Pizza gift cards. The winners (first and second place) get completely goofy trophies, and the ability to brag they are the EM World Champs Champs, and pizza gift cards. In addition to the tournament, those that strike out also gain access to the main pinball hall early on Friday! (The show officially opens at 4pm.) For the $20 cost of the tournament, you get tournament play plus lunch plus early entry to the Friday showcase. (Note you must also buy a ticket for the Friday showcase too to get into the show early, though you don’t need a show ticket to compete in the tournament.) Tickets for the Friday tournament (limited to 64 players) are available on the ticket page.

There is also another tournament Saturday night, our “Poker/Pinball Tourney”, at 8pm. This tournament is a unique format and is played on EM and early solid state pinball machines. The show itself closes at 8pm, so this tournament does not interfere the show. No cash prizes, just trophies. Tickets for the Saturday tournament (limited to 64 players) are available on the ticket page. Note a show ticket is not needed to compete. Cost of this tournament is $20

#119 7 years ago

Yes, I read all that, and although tournament does not interfere with the show, it's not really clear if joining the tournament gives you access to continue enjoying the show machines as well as playing in the tournament. But I assume it's probably tournament matches only after 8.

#120 7 years ago

that's probably a correct assumption, especially considering that the format of that tournament does not "kick out" players after 3 losses

#121 7 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Also, as long as I'm flying all that way, I thought I'd stay a few extra days as I've never been in the area. Are there any must-do's pinball or otherwise I should consider?

You must do Marvin's for sure...whom knows how long it will be there.
    http://www.marvin3m.com/
    Watch out when ordering a Greek salad here...they all come with Beets on them here.

#122 7 years ago

The tournaments are run outside the main building. Though the friday tournament (sold out) gives access to the main hall early, the saturday tournament does not give access. (Because the main building will be closed for game maintenance for the next day's show, we'll be working on the games to correct any issues for sunday.)

#123 7 years ago

I should also mention that if you want to come to the show saturday (or to saturday's tourney), you should get tickets NOW. the numbers of available tickets is getting small.

#124 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

You must do Marvin's for sure...whom knows how long it will be there.
    http://www.marvin3m.com/
    Watch out when ordering a Greek salad here...they all come with Beets on them here.

Heard of it, but for some reason I assumed it was in California... Going to hit that place for sure, thanks.

Food recommendations also welcome!

#125 7 years ago

Signed up for the Saturday tournament.
    I have no real chance to win, but it should be really fun.

#126 7 years ago

Is there a place to get food and drink at the show, beer preferably

#127 7 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Heard of it, but for some reason I assumed it was in California... Going to hit that place for sure, thanks.
    Food recommendations also welcome!

one page back
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-arbor-mi-vfw-pinball-show-2017/page/2#post-3601940

#128 7 years ago

Got tickets for Friday and Saturday's tournaments. Looking forward to it. Always a great time.

#129 7 years ago
    Quoted from thewool:

Is there a place to get food and drink at the show, beer preferably

Yes.

#131 7 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

The tournaments are run outside the main building. Though the friday tournament (sold out) gives access to the main hall early, the saturday tournament does not give access. (Because the main building will be closed for game maintenance for the next day's show, we'll be working on the games to correct any issues for sunday.)

So if you end up getting eliminated in the Saturday tournament are there games available to continue play on?

#132 7 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

So if you end up getting eliminated in the Saturday tournament are there games available to continue play on?

Yes.

#133 7 years ago

Excited to come to VFW. Got my Saturday ticket and the poker ticket tourney ticket.

Hope I can make good time in traffic that morning. Likely not leaving the day before .

#134 7 years ago

^ Come across in Sarnia then. Ever since they split off the semis at the new border crossing, it's much easier for cars now...

Later,
    EV

#135 7 years ago

Never been to a big pinball event. Just local stuff. Hoping to meet new people and make some connections...

We Canadians can be a helpful hand

#136 7 years ago

Just bought tickets for myself and a friend TBD.

Saturday + Tournament + Camping + Sunday!

#137 7 years ago

Sweet.

For those that don't know, mot was the very first (and only) camper when we started the idea 2 years ago...

Thanks,
    EV

#138 7 years ago

You remembered!

#139 7 years ago

Purchased tickets for me and my four brothers. Looking forward to the road trip!

#140 7 years ago

Hey, all. There seems to be some confusion about the nature of the Saturday Pinball Poker Tournament.

First, no one will be eliminated. Some may earn a few cards, others will earn more. No one will have more than five cards in their hand....... ever...... everyone will start with two cards....... best poker hand at the end wins.

Winners will be seeded against winners, losers against losers, and as rounds progress we will continue to reseed.

We plan on running the tournament for 9 rounds...... and we will keep things moving........ there is also a way for someone to win before that, and it is possible (but very unlikely) a winner could happen after the third round, but if that happens we will continue for other placings.

All participants will receive a printed copy of the rules.

I'll be happy to answer any other questions you may have, and thanks for your interest and participation, I'm sure we will have some fun.

#141 7 years ago

Seed/reseed

#142 7 years ago
    Quoted from Meegis:

Never been to a big pinball event. Just local stuff. Hoping to meet new people and make some connections...
    We Canadians can be a helpful hand

Here's a food connection in my town (imlay city) 1hr west of Sarnia off I69+M53 we have a place called Lucky's steakhouse great for lunch or dinner with good food and reasonable prices

#143 7 years ago
    Quoted from dhard:

Here's a food connection in my town (imlay city) 1hr east of Sarnia off I69+M53 we have a place called Lucky's steakhouse great for lunch or dinner with good food and reasonable prices

Do you mean west? East of Sarnia is more Ontario lol

#144 7 years ago

Guys and girls Ann arbor is so diverse in food and culture there is no other town to eat in that is better spent around there. Unless you drive to slows. (Slows bbq in detriot is I think rated best in the world). Maybe worth the long drive.

Ann Arbor is one of the coolest towns on earth. Enjoy!

#145 7 years ago
    Quoted from Meegis:

Do you mean west? East of Sarnia is more Ontario lol

Oops west

#146 7 years ago

Looks like Im staying in Farmington Hills... Gonna visit Marvins while Im out there.

#147 7 years ago

last i checked there's only a handful of saturday tickets left till it's sold out for saturday.

#148 7 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

last i checked there's only a handful of saturday tickets left till it's sold out for saturday.

Just purchased two tickets. Will be my first time time attending. Looking forward to it.

#149 7 years ago

I just looked, only 6 tickets left for Saturday!

#150 7 years ago

Watch out for the vomiting guy arcade at marvins.

Brutal. Pay ten cents and watch a guy vomit over and over.

Really though marvins is amazing. And he kept a clean line of pins always. I Really hope that doesn't go away.

There are 693 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-arbor-mi-vfw-pinball-show-2017/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.