Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 693 posts
  • 133 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Azmodeus
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    VFW 2018 Teaser (resized).JPG
    2018_vfwshow2_v2 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    111111111111111111 (resized).jpg
    brainbleach (resized).jpg
    far-side-cartoon-blah-blah-ginger (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170518_183905_752 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2017-05-17-14-20-43-1 (resized).png
    baby legs (resized).jpg
    20170505_165938_resized (resized).jpg
    20170507_114908 (resized).jpg
    20170507_101558 (resized).jpg
    terrific (resized).jpg
    p3 (resized).jpg

There are 693 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 14.
    #51 7 years ago

no not a problem. if you want to send me an email i can add them. it's some problem i've been going around with paypal on and can't seem to get it fixed. [email protected]

#52 7 years ago

Email sent, thanks clay

#53 7 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

It's difficult to not conflict with another show if you're doing a show in the spring. Note that we had our May 2017 dates set a year ahead (announced in may 2016.) So technically it was Allentown that decided to be the same weekend as us (they just announced their dates.) In our case there were some west coast people asking that we not be the same weekend as PinAgogo, so we made the change for them. I wish Allentown just did the weekend before (or after, since they aren't open on sunday, it would not conflict with mothers day.)

The problem with shows like Allentown - in rented building - is they have to work around the schedule for the building. So sometimes promoters need to wait to get dates finalized.

Scheduling shows isn't easy and I don't blame anyone when conflicts happen but it really makes me sad this year because I am a dealer at Allentown and I really wanted to get out to VFW for the first time to enjoy the show and maybe even bring some parts along for sale. Maybe next year!

#54 7 years ago

So... whats going to be for sale?

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

So... whats going to be for sale?

At VFW - good question! I know there are a ton of nice machines to play at VFW but are there many machines that are for sale?

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

At VFW - good question! I know there are a ton of nice machines to play at VFW but are there many machines that are for sale?

I bought 2 last year, 1 the year before and came back the week after for another 1. But these were deals in place prior to the show. Only 1 game was set up to play. Good spot for parking lot deals with other people going.

#57 7 years ago

I see VFW as a great place to go play pinball but from what I have seen posted about the "show" I wouldn't really call it a show - it is more like someone showcasing their collection and allowing the general public to play that collection.

I am not saying this being negative about VFW - I love what Clay & his gang have done - I just don't see it as a "show" in the sense there just are not that many machines for sale. With that said I can't wait to attend some day just to play that collection - it sounds fantastic! Keep up the great work guys!

With the above said - if people are traveling to this "show" looking to buy machines are there typically some machines for sale that are not in the collection? And if so about how many typically show up? How about other vendors with stuff for sale, etc? THANKS!

#58 7 years ago

There are definitely games for sale at the VFW. usually 10 to 20. but they sell fast and people tend to remove them quickly. It's nothing like Allentown. If you want games for sale Allentown is probably the best show in the country. In the midwest it's hard to complete with Allentown for game sale numbers. East coast is a much larger population center, hence more games for sale.

There's really aren't any shows that compete with Allentown for "games for sale". But that's OK. We don't try and compete with them on that level! Instead we concentrate on restored games for play. And at 350 unique restored titles, there probably isn't a show in the country at that level. Texas and Replay have more numbers, but probably not unique titles (they have several of any one title.) Banning is there too, but they have a lot of games that need work. PPM's new facility is probably the closest, but their very heavy on woodrails and very low on solidstates (not a very balanced collection.)

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

There are definitely games for sale at the VFW. usually 10 to 20. but they sell fast and people tend to remove them quickly. It's nothing like Allentown. If you want games for sale Allentown is probably the best show in the country. In the midwest it's hard to complete with Allentown for game sale numbers. East coast is a much larger population center, hence more games for sale.
    There's really aren't any shows that compete with Allentown for "games for sale". But that's OK. We don't try and compete with them on that level! Instead we concentrate on restored games for play. And at 350 unique restored titles, there probably isn't a show in the country at that level.

Good Morning Clay - I love what you have done with VFW and can't wait to get out to see you some day. Your "show" sounds like one of the best - if not the best - places in the country to play some pinball and I love that idea. But I was just curious about machines for sale, parts vendors, etc.

Being very honest - I would love to come out this year with some project machines for sale & some parts for sale just to have the chance to experience your place. Typically I set up at the indoor flea market at Allentown and I love it but I really want to check out your show at some point and I have not reserved my spaces at Allentown yet so I am torn.

What is the deal with setting up as a vendor at your show & also what is the deal with camping on site? I know you have had this information posted in the past but it might be good to post it again for anyone else that is interested.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK - you are a true asset to the pinball hobby!

#60 7 years ago

Good Morning Clay - I love what you have done with VFW and can't wait to get out to see you some day. Your "show" sounds like one of the best - if not the best - places in the country to play some pinball and I love that idea. But I was just curious about machines for sale, parts vendors, etc.
    Being very honest - I would love to come out this year with some project machines for sale & some parts for sale just to have the chance to experience your place. Typically I set up at the indoor flea market at Allentown and I love it but I really want to check out your show at some point and I have not reserved my spaces at Allentown yet so I am torn.
    What is the deal with setting up as a vendor at your show & also what is the deal with camping on site? I know you have had this information posted in the past but it might be good to post it again for anyone else that is interested.
    KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK - you are a true asset to the pinball hobby!

Clay - I feel very dumb right now - I never even thought to look at your web site for that info. Great job with web site also!

But I do have one quick question for you. The covered outdoor vendor area - can a truck be backed right up to that? I am considering renting a big U-Haul truck and bringing a full load of project machines and parts out with me. If I do that I would likely bring my travel trailer along towing it with the U-haul. When I got to your place I could then just drop camper in camping area and put truck over by the covered vending area if that would work. I should probably just PM you but I figure some of this info might help others considering the show also. THANKS!

#61 7 years ago

I'm coming!!!!

#62 7 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

And at 350 unique restored titles, there probably isn't a show in the country at that level.

The years that MGC has access to Tom Taylor's collection (which is most years but unfortunately not this one) it tops that number. Tom muct be back over 350 game, then you throw on MGC which is often some of the best and most diverse collection of largely restored games (another 150-200) and total pinball machines is probably in the 500+ range.

That said, there is nothing quite like the experience of playing on your private collection on Friday before everyone else is allowed in to the show! Such a blast

#63 7 years ago

If anyone going to VFW has a machine they are considering selling please send me a PM. Would love to bring another pin back to canada.
    I can give a deposit in advance and cash at the show.

Thanks
    Mitch

#64 7 years ago

Someone bring an Alien Poker for me to play.
    I was nicely suprised by the WNBJM last year. It even had the fruit crate bottom.
    Fun game to play that is not worth buying (for me).
    I didn't bother with the new release pins as they always had lineups.

#65 7 years ago

Clay - I feel very dumb right now - I never even thought to look at your web site for that info. Great job with web site also!
    But I do have one quick question for you. The covered outdoor vendor area - can a truck be backed right up to that? I am considering renting a big U-Haul truck and bringing a full load of project machines and parts out with me. If I do that I would likely bring my travel trailer along towing it with the U-haul. When I got to your place I could then just drop camper in camping area and put truck over by the covered vending area if that would work. I should probably just PM you but I figure some of this info might help others considering the show also. THANKS!

I can answer that for Clay. We have a new 2K sqft building right next to the parking lot for ANYONE wanting to bring games or parts for sale. The building is heated and will be 100% secure at night. Super easy to roll games in or out. It is currently being populated with VFW games but there's still lots of room left. Anyone wanting to sell out of a truck or trailer in the parking lot is also welcome. Space in the new building is first come first served and a reservation would be nice if your bringing more then a couple of game.

Doug D.
    VFW Member

#66 7 years ago

Toomanypins, if you bring projects, post ehat youre bringing and youll probably have them sold or spoken for prior to the show. Id be interested i know

#67 7 years ago

ya what he said I'm looking for an 8ball and 8ball deluxe or other pool themed pins

#68 7 years ago
    Quoted from dhard:

ya what he said I'm looking for an 8ball and 8ball deluxe or other pool themed pins

How about a non project pool theme.

#69 7 years ago

BTW: At the first show we did have a “covered outside vendor area” however that has since been converted to a secure climate controlled building. So the parking lot will be available for trucks, trailers pop up tents etc. but it is not “covered”

Doug D.
    VFW Member

#70 7 years ago

Hopefully some distributors show up with a Dialed-In and a Aerosmith that are up-to-date with code and features. This show last year had a Hobbit that sold my wife on what our next pin would be at the time. We are looking at options for our next NIB pin and would like to try those two.

Our main reason to go is to have fun and play about 200 of the 350 other pins that Clay has though.

#71 7 years ago
    Quoted from BMHouze:

Someone bring an Alien Poker for me to play.
    I was nicely suprised by the WNBJM last year. It even had the fruit crate bottom.
    Fun game to play that is not worth buying (for me).
    I didn't bother with the new release pins as they always had lineups.

Alien Poker is now in the VFW line up.

Doug D.
    VFW Member

#72 7 years ago

the facebook site shows recently added games to the facility. if you "like" the page you'll get facebook notifications on new games and other news. https://www.facebook.com/vfwpinball

#73 7 years ago

This will be my second VFW show, can't wait to see what has been added in the last couple of years.
    Excited to play in the tournaments, there were no tournys last time I attended, and they'll be a welcome addition.
    WTB: If anyone is thinking about selling their Walking Dead Pro in the near future, I would like to buy one. Let me know if you want to sell one during VFW weekend. Cash/carry.

Added over 7 years ago: Edit: Found. No longer looking. Thanks.

1 week later
    #74 7 years ago

Just bought 4 tickets and a campsite for our third year in a row. Can't wait!!

1 week later
    #75 7 years ago

with the show getting closer, I thought I would post some good places to eat around the VFW for those of you looking to dine in the brighton / ann arbor area as well as a few arcade points of interest

Downtown Brighton eateries
    Brighton bar & grill
    400 W Main St, Brighton, MI 48116
    brightonbarandgrill.com
    www.google.com/maps/place/Brighton+Bar+%26+Grill/@42.5297704,-83.7840125,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xe5a12536206a6d9!8m2!3d42.5297704!4d-83.7840125

The POUND! bar & grill
    139 W Main St, Brighton, MI 48116
    thepoundbar.com
    www.google.com/maps/place/The+POUND!+Bar+%26+Grill/@42.5294507,-83.781466,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x784952b1d28c6fd1!8m2!3d42.5294507!4d-83.781466

Stillwater gill
    503 W Grand River Ave, Brighton, MI 48116
    stillwatergrill.com
    www.google.com/maps/place/Stillwater+Grill/@42.532663,-83.782905,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xf8bb7e1853199f50?sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwis4NXbz5TSAhWm5oMKHcHYBgIQ_BIIeDAK

Stout Irish pub
    125 E Grand River Ave, Brighton, MI 48116
    stoutpub.com
    www.google.com/maps/place/Stout+Irish+Pub/@42.5292283,-83.7795686,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x76fdba09b247799e!8m2!3d42.5292283!4d-83.7795686

Downtown Ann Arbor eateries
    Real Seafood Company
    341 S Main St, Ann Arbor, MI 48104
    realseafoodcoannarbor.com
    www.google.com/maps/place/Real+Seafood+Company+Ann+Arbor/@42.278402,-83.748448,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x37e8f27a17d0499e?sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwidj_iz0JTSAhUo_IMKHQhnBBsQ_BIIdTAM

Zingerman's deli
    422 Detroit St, Ann Arbor, MI 48104
    zingermansdeli.com
    www.google.com/maps/place/Zingerman's+Delicatessen/@42.2846822,-83.7450713,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x501e005b87064778!8m2!3d42.2846822!4d-83.7450713

pinball / arcades
    The Arcade
    10816 Grand River Road, Brighton, MI 48116
    facebook.com/thearcadebrighton/
    groupon.com/deals/the-arcade
    www.google.com/maps/place/The+Arcade/@42.5162579,-83.738643,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xd399af9da38be7d?sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiD4__f0JTSAhXMy4MKHbchBJ0Q_BIIdjAK

Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum
    31005 Orchard Lake Rd, Farmington Hills, MI 48334
    marvin3m.com
    groupon.com/deals/marvin-s-marvelous-mechanical-museum-1
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Marvin's+Marvelous+Mechanical+Museum/@42.5252619,-83.3624877,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x665cdb3203fcb3ba?sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjOi-Ct0ZTSAhVG04MKHbMUA7AQ_BIIdTAK

Pinball Pete's
    South University Galleria Shopping Center, 1214 S University Ave S101, Ann Arbor, MI 48104
    pinballpetes.net
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pinball+Pete's/@42.2747556,-83.7338835,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xe09aecd80923ca86?sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjAwYSH0pTSAhXF6IMKHZIAC6wQ_BIIdTAK

#76 7 years ago

I really wish I could go I am from Michigan originally.

Anyways I hope that I get to come to what sounds to be an amazing show, Someday from California now, I hope to get there.

My old favorite restaurants in the general area:

Hercs prime rib Ypsilanti.
    Forbidden city Chinese -Ypsilanti
    Cottage inn pizza-Ann arbor
    Bells pizza open all friggin night really open til like 4 am.

#77 7 years ago

Hoping to make it this year with some player's condition games for possible trades.

#78 7 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

Depending on when you were here last there have been some changes.
    Cottage Inn no longer puts the toppings under the cheese (I heard tale the original E. Williams location still does)
    Bell's Pizza closed in the last years and is now....sad to say....a Dominoes.

#79 7 years ago

Anyone know where I can pick up some skeleton gloves near by?

#80 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Anyone know where I can pick up some skeleton gloves near by?

I have, literally, like 90 pairs at my house.

#81 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I have, literally, like 90 pairs at my house.

sweet! Should be a tournament on just bonebusters and everyone has to wear the gloves.

#82 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

sweet! Should be a tournament on just bonebusters and everyone has to wear the gloves.

Sounds aboot accurate for his picks of "EM world Championship"

#83 7 years ago

Sad to hear about bells, I was there in a Monday night football night when the lions were on, a few years ago.

It was a very stormy night and seriously anyone in Ann Arbor was from there because they lived there except for us, a magic night that had pinball at whisky Petes, drinking at a nearby bar that was packed/ shoulder to shoulder. ended at bells pizza at about 4 am. Another one bites the dust.

#84 7 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

Another one bites the dust.

Tell me aboot it. Worked across the street from Bells for years and ate it all the time.

#85 7 years ago

Tix purchased and skeleton gloves on order

#86 7 years ago

I don't know about this year, but I was very happy with the BBQ that they had at the event last year. It was damn tasty, and not badly priced. Now I have to figure out what skeleton gloves are...hey google....

#88 7 years ago

The EM world championships will be quite different this year, as a lot of new EMs have been added. By the way, there's only like 5 tickets left for that...

#89 7 years ago

Already only 5 tickets (out of 64) left almost 3 months beforehand. Guessing that'll move to zero before the weekend. A testament to the great fun of this tourney. Love that there's no cash prizes; definitely adds to the positive vibe.

I had the honor of being knocked out last year on Chicago by Nate Shivers, Coast 2 Coast Pinball host. AND got to play with Tyler Blakslee, frontman for indy band favorite The Fencemen (AND I was ironically wearing one of their concert t-shirts at the time).

Looking forward to the "unique" tourney rules for Saturday night. Only slightly disappointed that RZ won't be there.

#90 7 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I thought I would post some good places to eat around the VFW for those of you looking to dine in the brighton / ann arbor area

For something "different" go West from the VFW location. The night doesn't have to end after pinball ...

Zukely Lake Tavern - nice large sports bar/grill, about 5 minutes West on M36, usually has live bands of a Blues or Country genre on Friday and Saturday.

Pinckney Pub - bar/grill, about 10 minutes West just off of M36, almost always has live bands mostly of Country genre, sometimes Classic Rock on Friday and Saturday.

Hell Saloon - in Hell! Ya gotta go to Hell! About 15 minutes West, always has lives bands usually of Classic Rock genre, rarely Country on Friday and Saturday. Nice smaller sports bar with good Pizza and some spicy food items (like chili) to go with the Hell theme.

I'll update what genre of bands will be at these locations when the time gets closer. No "cover charge" at any of these locations.

#91 7 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

Zukely Lake Tavern - nice large sports bar/grill, about 5 minutes West on M36,.....

is it that Close?
    Been seeing the shirts my whole life, haven't gotten there yet

#92 7 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

I really wish I could go I am from Michigan originally.
    Anyways I hope that I get to come to what sounds to be an amazing show, Someday from California now, I hope to get there.
    My old favorite restaurants in the general area:
    Hercs prime rib Ypsilanti.
    Forbidden city Chinese -Ypsilanti

All of the Herc's in the Detroit area are long gone. Dearborn Heights, Livonia, Waterford, Farmington and Ypsi. That said, Knight's on the West side of Ann Arbor has great roast beef on their lunch menu.

#93 7 years ago

Also note a major road construction (CONstruction?) project is underway on US 23 from M-14 in Ann Arbor to both of the VFW Pinball exits which could cause problems during the expected heavy traffic for the VFW Pinball Show.

Plan alternate routes in advance and use Google Maps or the Waze App to get you to the show without delays.

http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,4616,7-151-9621_11058-316825--,00.html

#94 7 years ago

Major construction...shocker!!!

#95 7 years ago

VFW has what I consider to be the best pinball collection on the planet. If you haven't been there then you really should make it a point to attend. It's a bit jaw dropping in its scope; all manufacturers and eras are well represented.

Ticket sales are limited, so if you have a ticket you will not have to fight for game space. Very refreshing.

Terry.

#96 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlife:

VFW has what I consider to be the best pinball collection on the planet. If you haven't been then there then you really should make it a point to attend. It's a bit jaw dropping in its scope; all manufacturers and eras are well represented.
    Ticket sales are limited, so if you have a ticket you will not have to fight for game space. Very refreshing.
    Terry.

And even you have been there before, a 3rd building has added bringing the game count to 350. Year one was 200 games. An Annex was added for year two bringing the count to 250. the Annex was added onto for year three allowing 300 games. Now, a second Annex is on the site to allow 350 machines.

Tickets are going fast. Order now at www.vfwpinball.com

#97 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

And even you have been there before, a 3rd building has added bringing the game count to 350. Year one was 200 games. An Annex was added for year two bringing the count to 250. the Annex was added onto for year three allowing 300 games. Now, a second Annex is on the site to allow 350 machines.
    Tickets are going fast. Order now at http://www.vfwpinball.com

Yes, I go every year. Life is short, and this is a *don't miss* show.
    Terry.

#98 7 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

For something "different" go West from the VFW location. The night doesn't have to end after pinball ...
    Zukely Lake Tavern - nice large sports bar/grill, about 5 minutes West on M36, usually has live bands of a Blues or Country genre on Friday and Saturday.
    Pinckney Pub - bar/grill, about 10 minutes West just off of M36, almost always has live bands mostly of Country genre, sometimes Classic Rock on Friday and Saturday.
    Hell Saloon - in Hell! Ya gotta go to Hell! About 15 minutes West, always has lives bands usually of Classic Rock genre, rarely Country on Friday and Saturday. Nice smaller sports bar with good Pizza and some spicy food items (like chili) to go with the Hell theme.
    I'll update what genre of bands will be at these locations when the time gets closer. No "cover charge" at any of these locations.

my cousin owns the ZLT (but I haven't been out that way in so long that I completely forgot about it

#99 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

is it that Close?
    Been seeing the shirts my whole life, haven't gotten there yet

Yes - Zukey Lake Tavern is not far away at all.

#100 7 years ago

2017-02-17 08_59_39-8891 Spicer Road, Brighton, MI to Zukey Lake Tavern - Google Maps (resized).jpg2017-02-17 08_59_39-8891 Spicer Road, Brighton, MI to Zukey Lake Tavern - Google Maps (resized).jpg

There are 693 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-arbor-mi-vfw-pinball-show-2017/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.