2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 693 posts
  • 133 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Azmodeus
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 64 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    VFW 2018 Teaser (resized).JPG
    2018_vfwshow2_v2 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    111111111111111111 (resized).jpg
    brainbleach (resized).jpg
    far-side-cartoon-blah-blah-ginger (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170518_183905_752 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2017-05-17-14-20-43-1 (resized).png
    baby legs (resized).jpg
    20170505_165938_resized (resized).jpg
    20170507_114908 (resized).jpg
    20170507_101558 (resized).jpg
    terrific (resized).jpg
    p3 (resized).jpg

There are 693 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 14.
    #501 2 years ago

Does anyone have a link to the lights that were on the side rails on TWD, looked similar to the lights in MET. I think I need those and a shaker for my own game now. Was funny watching dudes head nod to the custom music (Tool I think?). That game played good.

Was cool to see LCD and LED colorDMDs next to each other, although I'm still undecided on what to get they both looked great.

The Dialed In needed the rubbers changed Friday, no idea how it was holding up by Sunday. Didn't play as good as the game I played in SF (the theater exit would go to the left flipper 95% of the time on that machine, it was straight down the center 95% on the machine at VFW) it also didn't play as fast as the SF machine. People still seemed to like it, wonder what the show special was. Didn't get to play dominos, I guess that's all I missed out on.

Great show as always, only complaint is I wish it was more than once a year. Also saw someone leaving the show almost side swipe some body pulling onto the service drive Friday night. Drive safe y'all.

#502 2 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

We saw a few people banging on the glass of pins loudly in frustration, a few people moving machines better than 6 inches for a nudge.

The broken glass I saw was when taken off by staff for repairs. Concrete floors are hard!

Walked up on a few unfinished games, but you get that at a show. Especially with kids around. No problem, play ball 3 of the leftover game, then start a new full game. Also saw staff clearing abandonded games when not busy with repairs or stuck balls.

#503 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pale_Purple:

Does anyone have a link to the lights that were on the side rails on TWD, looked similar to the lights in MET.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pin-stadium-lights-official-announcement

#504 2 years ago

Great show as always. I only smelled a couple farts and there wasn't enough dank herb to cover them unfortunately.

I brought my parents. My dad is a pin-head but the experience was new for mom. She had fun. They reminisced about playing certain games back in the day.

#thank

#505 2 years ago

Definitely a we'll run show. The best.
    Tournaments.....well...umm...it's for fun, right?

#506 2 years ago

Trying to find flaws in this show is like trying to find a needle in a haystack; hard to find, and even if you find it it's just a damn needle.

Great show as always. Staff was spectacular, the games looked and played great, and Clay was the host with the most.

I look forward to this show all year and it always exceeds my expectations.

Terry.

#507 2 years ago

First time for me and kids to vfw show and we were amazed. Due to scheduling conflict we only made it to the last few hrs before the tournament sat evening, but it was well worth it! Next year I hope to make a whole day out of it.

My highlight was playing some EM games I haven't played in 30+ yrs and getting to play the zaccaria games. My son's (15) was WCS; daughter's (13) was TWD.

As mentioned already, odors were interesting and a few folks didn't finish their games (not my kids to blame for this!), but in my case at least the occasional bumps down aisles were apologized for and folks were nice and friendly. About the only wait was for Dialed In and Hobbit. Staff were excellent!

Thanks so much for all!

#508 2 years ago

Dialed in was still great fun, even with the annoying sdtm drains from the theatre.. which was causing some pretty heavy nudging-- those machines move easy on the concrete!

Fantastic show!! Had such a great time - made my way thru a lot of ems which I don't normally do and was surprised by how fun some were and also the mechs and ideas on some.. very cool!

Side question -- anybody have ideas on best thing to do in Detroit (have car) tmrw before flying home in evening?

#509 2 years ago

Thanks to all the volunteers, and of course to Clay, for putting on such a fantastic show. You all really make this show the best! Any time there are an issue on a machine, volunteers were easy to flag down and very helpful, but for the most part, the machines were in immaculate shape and awesome to play. I split my time between playing pins I never see anywhere, and pins that I see lots of places, but always in crappy shape. And maybe spent a bunch of time playing Grand Prix.

Also really nice to meet a bunch of Pinsiders and other new friends. It's a no brainer for me to attend every year, since I live so close by, but if it weren't so awesome, I wouldn't be constantly trying to convince out of town friends to come too. Great show, already looking forward to next year!

#510 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Side question -- anybody have ideas on best thing to do in Detroit (have car) tmrw before flying home in evening?

Must make a visit to Marvelous Marvin's Mechanical Museum. http://marvin3m.com/

#511 2 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Must make a visit to Marvelous Marvin's Mechanical Museum. http://marvin3m.com/

We jumped the gun and did it today need something for tomorrow.. thinking about ford museum, but starting to look at more pinball lol -- pinball Petes in Ann Arbor or sparks up north of Detroit. Wanted to do cedar point but it's closed till next weekend

#512 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

thinking about ford museum,

Greenfield village/Ford is a classic attraction.

If you wanted some flatulent revenge, you could hit up both Lafyette/American coney islands to see which coney you prefer.
    You'll basically turn your plane on the VFW on the way back

#513 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Greenfield village/Ford is a classic attraction.
    If you wanted some flatulent revenge, you could hit up both Lafyette/American coney islands to see which coney you prefer.
    You'll basically turn your plane on the VFW on the way back

Lol hahaha. Yeah- have a feeling that's where will end up for a few hours. thelaw how is pinball petes and have you been to sparks? Wondering if games are in good condition at either/both? Price?

#514 2 years ago

I had a fantastic time at the VFW show on Friday I also played in the Friday tournament for the first time. It was very well run and I had a blast. This show continues to amaze me every year,Clay and the guys put on a first class operation. Truly an amazing collection.

#515 2 years ago

I seem to remember playing shuffleboard next to someone who had the worst gas of the evening

#516 2 years ago

Fun looking show. Thanks for all the pics. Hope to make this show one day...adding to my bucket list.

#517 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

thelaw how is pinball petes and have you been to sparks? Wondering if games are in good condition at either/both? Price?

Haven't been to Sparks. Pete's is nice with a lot of machines there...The newer ones I'm sure are all working great...don;t know aboot the older ones. If you go down there say hello to my old Metallica for me *sniffle*

#518 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Haven't been to Sparks. Pete's is nice with a lot of machines there...The newer ones I'm sure are all working great...don;t know aboot the older ones. If you go down there say hello to my old Metallica for me *sniffle*

Thanks!

#519 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Pictured next to a fucking Data East...the final insult

They got your trademark gloves, but not the hair!

#520 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Lol hahaha. Yeah- have a feeling that's where will end up for a few hours. thelaw how is pinball petes and have you been to sparks? Wondering if games are in good condition at either/both? Price?

Haven't been to pinball pete's but I've heard complaints that the machines are in rough shape.

Sparks is amazing. Tons of machines, they're in excellent shape. Probably the best location in the Detroit area (other than VFW!)

#521 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dewey68:

They got your trademark gloves, but not the hair!

Time...I remember when I had time for things like that before that baby!

#522 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Time...I remember when I had time for things like that before that baby!

Just make sure you bring that kid up right and teach her the evils of chimp flipping.

#523 2 years ago

I go to pinball petes all the time.all the new sterns are in excellent shape but the older ones can vary.rfm,mb,mm,af and some others played good a few weeks ago as a few others but you'll definitely find a few that need work.

#524 2 years ago

About 24 hrs since i left DTW for home; it has taken that long for the swelling in my ankles
    to calm down after standing up playing pinball for so many hours,
    in future I will definitely need to look for a stool, from the start.
    The VFW show was every thing that I had hoped and more, and I am pretty jaded
    being in the hobby for 25 yrs.
    First I want to thank Clay and Debbie and all the other VFW volunteers, as you all made the show
    a very pleasant experience for me. All the games were in very playable condition, with very few exceptions.
    Any problems that did develop on a particular game, were corrected or fixed quickly
    as soon as you notified the tech team of such.
    With 350 games, there are always going to be a few that are not 100%,
    but I have to say this show compared to all the others that i have attended,
    had the best playing condition pins over the whole weekend, really no comparison.
    Highlight of the show for me was getting to play all the Zaccaria pins,
    about the only ZAC S/S pin I did not see there was Earth, Wind & Fire.
    Also I liked seeing and playing all those somewhat rare Bally EMs,
    like Wiggler, Capersville, Cosmos, Mad World and Dogies.
    Also where else can one see nearly all of those classic Stern Solid state pins in a single row,
    at least all the desirable collectible ones.
    At this show I actually played more pinball than I have by a large margin compared to other shows,
    that is in part because when i attend local west coast shows
    I spend more time chatting and hanging with my pin buddies.
    Though I did meet and chat to a few pinheads during the EM tourneys,
    including Ryan Claytor and Puff Danny.
    And i had a tailgate lunch on SAT with Mike and his crew of Canadians.
    I stuck mainly to the Woodrails, EMs and Pre 1986 Solid State pins,
    probably only played about a half dozen games on any of the DMD pins or more modern pins.
    Thanks again to all responsible, and i hope to attend again soon.
    Anyone within a 200 mile radius of the VFW is not a true believer
    if they do not attend at least once every 2-3 yrs.

#525 2 years ago
    Quoted from alec_p:

Haven't been to pinball pete's but I've heard complaints that the machines are in rough shape

I was in there about a month ago. Some games needed love. About 20 or so were in fantastic shape, including Whoa Nellie and a lot of new Sterns. There is plenty to keep you occupied.

#526 2 years ago

I thought about the stool as I have feet problems already but I cant play my best sitting.I think next year I'll go all 3 days and take extra breaks throughout the day.

#527 2 years ago
    Quoted from Puffdanny:

I thought about the stool as I have feet problems already but I cant play my best sitting.I think next year I'll go all 3 days and take extra breaks throughout the day.

Next time we meet and play, i think i'll demand you use a stool
    to at least give me a better chance of besting you.

Taking more sitting breaks will be a must for me
    for all future pin shows, otherwize i may not be able to walk again.

#528 2 years ago

Well we ended up going to the ford museum first and the village, with a backup pinball plan. As it turned out, that place is massive and pretty amazing!! We didn't make it to pinball but thanks for the info on Pete's and sparkys!

thelaw -- trademark gloves and hair -- were you a volunteer with the black gloves with (skeletons?) and the sort of spikey Mohawkish hair by any chance?

#529 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

thelaw -- trademark gloves and hair -- were you a volunteer with the black gloves with (skeletons?) and the sort of spikey Mohawkish hair by any chance?

Yep, that's him.

#530 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Well we ended up going to the ford museum first and the village, with a backup pinball plan. As it turned out, that place is massive and pretty amazing!!

Yeah Ford sure did collect of cool some shit and stash it away.

I used to be skinny...I swear.

#531 2 years ago

Haha - me too

Nice to put a name to a face. Thanks for volunteering -- I saw you taking care of business and flipping s lot of switches on machines that people left on ball 2 or 3. Amazing how many people do that

#532 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Amazing how many people do that

RAMPANT this year! A lot more of that this year, but a lot less major-ish game break downs so it worked out nice.

#533 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Well we ended up going to the ford museum first and the village, with a backup pinball plan. As it turned out, that place is massive and pretty amazing!! We didn't make it to pinball but thanks for the info on Pete's and sparkys!

Quoted from Rum-Z:

Yep, that's him.

Bastard made me hold the glass of a woodrail as he 'worked' on it.

J/k

At least we had a good final few minutes Saturday playing Bones! I almost took it home with me.

#534 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

in future I will definitely need to look for a stool

Funny - one of the cutest things my wife and I watched was two different little boys carrying around their own stools or steps. One had a white step stool and the other had the equivalent of a small bar stool. It was awesome to see - they both were with different families. So... if they belong to fellow pinsider's, I can guarantee we saw future world champs!

#535 2 years ago
    Quoted from Asylum:

Funny - one of the cutest things my wife and I watched was two different little boys carrying around their own stools or steps. One had a white step stool and the other had the equivalent of a small bar stool. It was awesome to see - they both were with different families. So... if they belong to fellow pinsider's, I can guarantee we saw future world champs!

the unpublished VFW pi9nball rule

Unattended childern will be given a double espresso and a free puppy.

es (resized).jpg

lab (resized).jpg

puppies (resized).jpg

p3 (resized).jpg

#536 2 years ago

I'm still a child inside, can I get the free puppy and espresso too?

#537 2 years ago

bring some air freshener with you. spray it when a bad scent is in the air. problem solved. if you smell a person who has pot or another smell on them, spray them. easy enough. you should not be forced to smell pot or other. gross.

#538 2 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

bring some air freshener with you. spray it when a bad scent is in the air. problem solved. if you smell a person who has pot or another smell on them, spray them. easy enough. you should not be forced to smell pot or other. gross.

Holy shit are you kidding me?? Folks crop dusting, BO etc.....absolutely agree. But if someone wants to partake in weed, cigarettes etc, that's their perogitive. You can't live life in a bubble, and expect everyone to abide by your likes/dislikes. As long as they aren't smoking it beside you, who gives a f**k

#539 2 years ago

who has pot or another smell on them, spray them.

yeah, that one is going to go over real well...

#540 2 years ago

I’m assuming you are trying to be funny. Spraying someone with an unknown substance without their permission can be considered assault. Under some circumstances, if the person was extremely allergic to cologne, you could end up being charged with manslaughter.

#541 2 years ago
    Quoted from nsduprr:

you could end up being charged with manslaughter.

Yes, but you would smell great!

terrific (resized).jpg

#542 2 years ago

All I have to say is Great Show!

Wish it were open more often, but extremely happy that it is available.

When do tickets go on sale for 2018?

#543 2 years ago

Did anyone manage to play all of the games over the three days?

#544 2 years ago
    Quoted from hlaj78:

Did anyone manage to play all of the games over the three days?

I managed to play nearly all the non DMD and Non Alpha/Numeric Pins (i think)
    in the 2 days i was there.
    Basically everything pre 1986.

#545 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Though I did meet and chat to a few pinheads during the EM tourneys,
    including Ryan Claytor

Tom, it was great meeting you and chatting about your collection history. Really glad you made the trek out here and we got a chance to chat.

Quoted from pinwiztom:

I managed to play nearly all the non DMD and Non Alpha/Numeric Pins (i think)
    in the 2 days i was there.
    Basically everything pre 1986.

No wonder your feet were tired!

#546 2 years ago

did anyone notice the software modifications to Flash, Trizone, Time Warp, Gulfstream and Nitro Ground Shaker? that is, did you get multi-ball?

#547 2 years ago

Thx again clay had great time. Our car broke down on way home. 2 nights in hotel and a 650 bill to fix car but can't wait till next year. I think we will rent car next year lol.

#548 2 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

did anyone notice the software modifications to Flash, Trizone, Time Warp, Gulfstream and Nitro Ground Shaker? that is, did you get multi-ball?

Only was aware of it on GulfStream.
    Guess I was not paying much attention
    on the others.

#549 2 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Flash with a multi-ball mod? Really? That sounds awesome!

Please share more info!

#550 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rapzilch:

I seem to remember playing shuffleboard next to someone who had the worst gas of the evening

He who smelt it, dealt it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 1,200.00
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Siegecraft Electronics
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 269.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 229.99
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 140.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 269.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    £ 89.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    There are 693 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 14.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside