New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 147070)

"Animated Spinners" can we talk?

By cody_chunn

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Yoko2una
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20151202_142602158_(resized).jpg
IMG_20151202_142611365_(resized).jpg
IMG_20151202_142714679_(resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

So I'm fixing up this King Rock for a customer. I'm working my way down the playfield, cleaning it up. He just wanted it working, but I can't let it go back in the shape it's in now.

Anyway, I'm to the double-spinner area, and the game has blank white spinners. How milquetoast is that? So I check the IPDB and it looks like factory was just blue lines on either side. Not much better than blank, IMO. I have always wondered about "animated" spinners. These are the ones like in Kiss that have Gene's face on the front and his tongue on the back, so that when it spins, Gene is "animated" into sticking his tongue out.

Are there any other games with spinners like that? With a card theme? I have basically resigned to creating something myself. So does anyone have any advice about what you can do with a 2-frame sequence that provides the player with some action for hitting the spinner?

My first thought was having the suicide king push the blade further into/behind his head, so it looks like he's stabbing himself in the temple over and over.

What do you think?

#2 4 years ago

Sounds cool, I would like to see that when done.

#3 4 years ago

Honestly I don't think you really see it. I did it with the flames on my Helen spinner decals, but I doubt anyone ever goes "look at the flames dance!" It's just not like a flip book when it's spinning.

#4 4 years ago

Actually, as I recall, the factory spinners have a 10 in red to appear while spinning. Not just the blank blue border.

I think a number of gottlieb spinners had dual art. Just maybe not animation so to speak.

#5 4 years ago

Vic camp has a good shot from above on the king kool page on ipbd.

#6 4 years ago

Surfer has a girl on one side and a surf board on the other, pretty cool.

#7 4 years ago

I think Top Score / 300 had cool double-sided spinner art.

Pretty sure some classic Bally games have that too

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Actually, as I recall, the factory spinners have a 10 in red to appear while spinning. Not just the blank blue border.
I think a number of gottlieb spinners had dual art. Just maybe not animation so to speak.

Ah, didn't think about the backside of the spinners in the pics I researched. Dummy! So I might go back to blank fronts and red 10s on the back....but I'm still gonna experiment with a couple of 2-frame animations.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Honestly I don't think you really see it. I did it with the flames on my Helen spinner decals, but I doubt anyone ever goes "look at the flames dance!" It's just not like a flip book when it's spinning.

Is it because the image is 'too busy' to notice the change? Some youtube vids show some neat action with two frames, but the image can't be too busy or it gets lots.

Can you take a video of your work? I would like to see it.

#10 4 years ago

not sure if its a viable idea but:

What if the spinners were the type of image that can change with viewing perspective, therefore incorporating a few more frames of animation. Maybe you would see something at least when they spun slower or were coming to a rest. The name of the technology is escaping me at the moment. In the haunted industry they are referred to as changing portraits. Different images from different angles.

#11 4 years ago

I have wondered if the spinners on metallica are supposed to look like something while spinning. It just looks like a mess to me.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

not sure if its a viable idea but:
What if the spinners were the type of image that can change with viewing perspective, therefore incorporating a few more frames of animation. Maybe you would see something at least when they spun slower or were coming to a rest. The name of the technology is escaping me at the moment. In the haunted industry they are referred to as changing portraits. Different images from different angles.

Lenticular? I think they would be moving to fast for that to work right. It would be interesting to try, though.

#13 4 years ago

Here's the thing...nobody looks at the spinner after nailing it. You're too busy tracking the ball!

#14 4 years ago

MrWizzo was telling me that on his F14 he put LED spotlights with a snoot on the end so they only illuminates the spinners for max effect.

I'm trying that next.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

MrWizzo was telling me that on his F14 he put LED spotlights with a snoot on the end so they only illuminates the spinners for max effect.
I'm trying that next.

I wonder if you couldn't hook up the spotlight to the switch on the spinner, so that the LEDs only came on with the switch, and you could "strobe" the animation?

#16 4 years ago

Hi
My Gtb Orbit has a rocket on one side - an Astronaut in space one the other side.
My Gtb Surf Champ has the Girl - and the Surf Board.
My Gtb Sinbad has a Sword - and a Sword.
My Wms Space Mission has a Rocket - and two clouds of "exhaust".

You could ask in "EM-Hangout": https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/forum/electro-mechanical-hangout (?)

The advanced search for (EM) spinning targets: http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?gtype=EM&ft=spinning+target&sortby=mfg&searchtype=advanced
Greetings Rolf

P.S.: I believe: Most spinning Targets are animated (Flicker Book) - we still are children ?

#17 4 years ago

Stern Mustang. One side is the Running Horse, the other is the Red, White, & Blue, Tri-bar. When it spins it creates the combined logo.

#18 4 years ago

i think my Williams Laser Ball has different images on each side, like a ball then a ball with an explosion ring, or maybe just the explosion ring on one side and the ball on the other

#19 4 years ago

I thought most spinners were animated?

#20 4 years ago

it's more of an overlaid 2nd image than an animation, but they are cool.

would be cool to have a bunch of .gifs so we could see and share them.

#21 4 years ago

The only way I can see it would be cool is if you created a 4D lenticular sticker with at least 4 different frames on one side and another 4 different frames (continuous from the last side) on the other side that way when it spins you get a full 8 frames of animation. someone would have to design it so that all full 8 frames look good when the thing spins like crazy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenticular_printing

#22 4 years ago

Fun Land is an old Gottlieb with a shooting-gallery theme. One side of the spinners was a sitting duck and the other side was the duck squawking when it gets blasted.

Also, I think some Zaccaria games had "ZCAI" on one side and "ACRA" on the other, completing the logo when they spun.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I wonder if you couldn't hook up the spotlight to the switch on the spinner, so that the LEDs only came on with the switch, and you could "strobe" the animation?

Like a stroboscope - Cool idea. Anyone who has seen rotational timing with a stroboscope knows how compelling the effect can be.

#24 4 years ago

by the way, this illusion is referred to as a thaumatrope.

https://www.google.com/search?q=thaumatrope

1 week later
#26 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'm trying that next.

Vid, here are some pics.

View of the light with the snoot is looking left to right along the ramp to the right side lock.

The unlit spinner and the lit spinner. Difference is more evident when it spins.

Dan

IMG_20151202_142714679_(resized).jpg

IMG_20151202_142611365_(resized).jpg

IMG_20151202_142602158_(resized).jpg

#27 4 years ago

an old RGP post where someone I think made a program to flip between two gif images and you could vary the speed. May help you if trying to make your own.

5 months later
#28 4 years ago

My big guns- wait my big guns has no spinners! Or pop bumpers!! No, it's funny I found this post, right after I got my Firepower up and running!

Who says you wouldn't notice this spinner? You might not stare at it, but I though it was so cool the first time I noticed it, I did a double-take!

Looking at that page about Thaumatropes, it's easy to see the origins of the spinner, and the animation on it!!

I'm considering doing a Heavy Metal (movie, '81) retheme idea and maybe the loc-nar on one side and pinball on the other.

Oh, attached is the movie of the spinner on my firepower.. Okay take my word for it! Haha. It's a world getting blown up by th firepowerv

#29 4 years ago

Just saw this thread....We have some new Matrix Micro Spot Lights coming, that will make it a snap to get a light just on the Spinning target, either always on, or attached to an insert light...coming soon in Matrix, it looks like something that will have lots of creative use, as it can be tucked between a sling, and a round protector, or tacked about anywhere to create light needed.
Should help spinning targets as well as many other uses!

Art

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

... How milquetoast is that? So I check ...

I am still try to figure out what "milquetoast" means.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

I am still try to figure out what "milquetoast" means.

Usually served with alongside a nice milk steak.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
£ 59.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 109.99
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
B & K Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 999.00
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
€ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
€ 60.00
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 19.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 39.95
Playfield - Protection
Little Shop Of Games

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside