IMG_9891 (resized).JPG
AFM_Bomb.gif
AFM - Game Play.gif
AFM - Launch Ball.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
spooky button wiring (resized).jpg
changetext (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mr_tantrum.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 2 years ago

Awesome. Would love to see an AFMr (CGC) version. Also, availability to customize/personalize animation would be really cool (maybe a must for me). Of course price is a consideration as others have mentioned.

#18 2 years ago

Okay, I'm really chomping at the bit on more info about this. I know you probably can't commit to an availability, price, ability to customize video, and other details yet, but can you please let us know what platforms this would work with? Selfishly, I'm interested in the CGC games (AFMr in particular).

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from Calfdemon:

I am just scared of what I would imagine the price might be.

Why, did you just drop $2200 on a 24K gold leaf Indy topper?

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from Calfdemon:

I'm sure there is a joke in there somewhere, but I obviously missed something somewhere. Now I am off to search threads on Pinside for gold Indy toppers... lol

I'll make it easy for you . . .

Thread | https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-topper-from-elite-pinball-topper

Video Review | https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-topper-from-elite-pinball-topper#post-6335720

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from Calfdemon:

I like toppers, but come on... that's fricken ridiculous and crazy money.

I agree, but it is pretty awesome, IMO.

Sorry @vimtoman, didn't mean to stray off topic of your great animated launch button mod.

#43 2 years ago
Quoted from miracleman:

I wouldn't go overkill on the start button version, it's something you only look at once to start a game.
Simple animations with same game-font "Start/etc" wording is fine.

I would tend to agree, but really I think the mod is more for the observers than the player as personally I don't stand so close to the start button to actually see/read the front of it while playing. However, I love the idea of animating it with theme integrated eye candy.

BTW, this sort of reminds me of a Nest thermostat. Function isn't really changed by having the screen, but offers more visual feedback (mesmerizing for those of us attracted to shiny objects).

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
1 week later
#57 2 years ago
Quoted from Vimtoman:

Here's a test for AFM launch button. Just the background loop animation so far.

Love it!

Will have to see the rest of the animation, but bottom arc might look good as Mars (similar to my backboard decal).

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#65 2 years ago

I think others would have interest in the 3rd CGC pin that also uses a large launch button - Monster Bash.

#70 2 years ago

While a cool animation, doesn't that title have a traditional plunger assembly and not a launch button?

@vimtoman, I'm I correct and thinking this mode will only be for pins that natively utilize the 2" launch button, or do you have other plans?

Potential games I can think of that utilize a 2" launch button (by no means comprehensive):

- Attack from Mars (original & remakes)
- Medieval Madness (original & remakes)
- Monster Bash (original & remakes)
- Rick & Morty
- Alice Cooper
- Indy 500
- X-Files
- Dr. Who
- Harley Davidson
- Demolition Man
- Dracula
- Johnny Mnemonic
- DE Star Trek
- Maverick
- Popeye
- Champion Pub

#72 2 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Yes but I guess I was thinking the start button would work too

Might be worth it to Vimtoman to explore if start buttons have correct hole size or if they would require additional boring. Also, there may be an issue of how close to the edge of the front face of the pin, graphics, and other obstacles it might be on certain titles. Either way, I'm sure he has his hands full now with his initial mod.

#75 2 years ago
Quoted from Vimtoman:

Test for beaming up of cow. looks like I need to magnify that part up.

Looking really good. I would suggest having the UFO travel up and to the center of the foreground (thus you can make it grow), then it can beam up a larger cow in a larger beam.

1 week later
#85 2 years ago
Quoted from pins4u:

I can't see the videos (won't play on my browser I assume?) but if these are animated, LCD buttons be very careful selling them commercially as Suzo-Happ has a patent on exactly this product.
They have the patent for use in gambling/pokie machines but you can bet it will also cover pinball machines. I would be doing some research before selling these to avoid a C&D and possibly worse.
https://oem.suzohapp.com/products/buttons-decks-and-dps/buttons/lcd-pushbuttons/
If they are NOT animated LCD buttons disregard all of my post.

What is the patent number? Patents are only as good as the claims within them, and variants can exist without being in violation. To deem that SH has some patent without actually referencing the specific patent doesn’t really do much for anyone.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
3 months later
#100 2 years ago

Did you hit a wall with this project?

#105 2 years ago
Quoted from Vimtoman:

Well I have a working model.
Switch input works
Lamp PWM sense works
But I'm not happy with the complexity of the build.
Just too much to go wrong.
So have decided that the mod is not going to be released at this time.
I will make a few up for friends that have helped.
Project closed.

We appreciate the creativity and effort. Unfortunately, not every idea can come to fruition.

1 year later
#110 11 months ago
Quoted from ballzach1:

Oh my god, just discovered this, pleeeeease make one of these for The Big Lebowski!!! All of the aftermarket mod shooter buttons are not lighted, so our only option is the generic lighted "shoot Ball" button that comes factory installed, or an opaque non-lighted half bowling ball. This would be great to have in attract mode, these buttons you are making look sweet!!! I think you could sell a shitload of them for any game that has a button instead of the traditional knob, I know I would buy one immediately!!! Keep up the good work!

OP discontinued the mod (actually, never released it), but I'll let him comment on the reasons why.

3 months later
1 month later
#150 6 months ago

I just received my animated AFM launch button, and it is pretty awesome . . . Vimtoman delivers again! Installation with the included instructions was a breeze, took me less than 10 minutes, and no cabinet modifications were required. The only thing to be aware of when installing is to mount the controller pack high enough to where the cable extending from the button will reach its port. As far as the mod itself goes, the parts are all high quality, everything fits perfectly, all connectors came pre-installed, and the installation is really clean. There is one really long cable that goes to the shooter lane switch, and it is long enough to allow for cable management and full playfield movement.

In addition to the animations, the button also flashes around the perimeter (red in my case) signifying to push the button to launch ball. Below are the three animation sequences on the button.

Here is the animation when the ball is in the trough awaiting launch.
AFM - Launch Ball.gifAFM - Launch Ball.gif

Here is part of the animation during game play. Basically, all the search lights going, saucers come into view, center saucer's tractor beam is searching, then a cow is beamed up.
AFM - Game Play.gifAFM - Game Play.gif

This is what it looks like when a Martian Bomb is ready to use.
AFM_Bomb.gifAFM_Bomb.gif

Here's a look at the front of the cabinet with the button installed.
IMG_9891 (resized).JPGIMG_9891 (resized).JPG

1 month later
#191 4 months ago
Quoted from jeffpin64:

Just installed my AFMR Video Launch Button from Vimtoman. This is a fantastic mod, works great, easy to install in 15 minutes and really adds to the game. By far the best mod for my game! Thanks Andrew!

It only took me 14 minutes to install mine

2 months later
#214 75 days ago

Just realized that two of your first buttons are alien themed.

#221 75 days ago
Quoted from cookpins:

Might have to get that alien. Good work!
Would you consider providing instructions for how to customize these, if anyone was ever inclined to?

That is what I was initially thinking too, but once I received mine for AFM I realized all of the engineering that has been put into this mod. It is quite a complex system, and doesn’t lend itself to modding/hacking. Besides, the animations included along with how they are triggered are top notch.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 13,500.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 165.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods

14,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 12.95
$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mr_tantrum.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/animated-launch-ball-button?tu=mr_tantrum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.