(Topic ID: 25396)

Animated Inserts?

By Bowman9

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

spaulding.jpg
    Cyclone_PlayfieldMid.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

Has anyone thought about making animated playfield inserts?

I was thinking about using one of those Keychain LCD Digital Photo Frames, they have a screen size of about 1.5" which would be a good size for an insert.

I bought one off ebay for $6 just to see how they work, the picture quality was decent for its size.
    But unfortunately when it first turns on it has a welcome screen - this would have to go, but that is beyond me.

Second it only displays still images like bitmaps and jpegs, but you can increase the slideshow mode timing to display one image for one second this would need to be sped up to produce an animated effect, maybe 2 to 4 images a second. Again this is beyond me.

Third when in slideshow mode it has horrible screen transitions (aka wipes) that would ruin the animated affect. Again beyond me.

Do we have any hackers on here that could make these work as animated inserts?
    Sounds like an opportunity to create a whole new mode.

#2 11 years ago

great idea. cyclone got 4 huge blank inserts that would benifit from this. they basically look empty. now you got me thinking.

Cyclone_PlayfieldMid.jpgCyclone_PlayfieldMid.jpg

#3 11 years ago

adding digital pics like capt spaulding would be cool.

spaulding.jpgspaulding.jpg

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

great idea. cyclone got 4 huge blank inserts that would benifit from this. they basically look empty. now you got me thinking.

Wait, seriously? You hate all this type of stuff normally.

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

adding digital pics like capt spaulding would be cool.

Just sent that photo to my roommate who is afraid of clowns... he was not pleased.

Cool idea btw

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Wait, seriously? You hate all this type of stuff normally.

i do, i really hate mods, but my inserts look bad in those places. very bright, empty and crackly. trying to hide the flaws as much as possible. i'm going to experiement with the "fight fire, with fire" method on this one. the rest of the game cleaned up nicely. i really don't want to do a playfield swap because the rest of it is pretty nice. i think this mod might work out really well. plus, it will add a twisted carnival feel.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

i do, i really hate mods, but my inserts look bad in those places. very bright, empty and crackly. trying to hide the flaws as much as possible. i'm going to experiement with the "fight fire, with fire" method on this one. the rest of the game cleaned up nicely. i really don't want to do a playfield swap because the rest of it is pretty nice. i think this mod might work out really well. plus, it will add a twisted carnival feel.

cool. Let us know how it turns out.

#8 11 years ago

Definitely keep us (me) in the loop.
    If is not hard to do, I might add one or two to my project pin.

6 months later
    #13 11 years ago

^ spam ^ Mods....

MacKichan1986, JackKramer1989, Richard1991, all bot generated names. They are posting on any thread mentioning frames.

Ref: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/framing-a-back-glass-for-wall-artany-tips

#14 11 years ago

Thanks, I removed them and marked their accounts as Spammers.

#15 11 years ago

Lets see the product!

#16 11 years ago

use 4dsystems oled displays instead of hacking an lcd anything.....they have gpio and can display graphics and movies from a microsd card.

#17 11 years ago

When was Tommi_Gunn retired as a Pinsider?

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from Bowman9:

Second it only displays still images like bitmaps and jpegs, but you can increase the slideshow mode timing to display one image for one second this would need to be sped up to produce an animated effect, maybe 2 to 4 images a second. Again this is beyond me.

In order to produce animation that looked more or less realistic you need at least 15 frames per second. For real animation ideally 24 fps (movie theatre) or TV at 30fps.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/animated-inserts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.