(Topic ID: 215112)

Anemic flippers - even after rebuild

By jaybird5619

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Still working on my first project -- a Gottlieb Target Alpha -- and have really weak flippers, especially the upper ones (and especially the upper right). I've just replaced the plunger assemblies, bushings and coil tubes on all 4 flippers with brand-new parts.

The bottom flippers are fair -- they generally get the ball to the top of the playfield (but not always).

The real problem is the top mini-flippers, and especially the upper right. The upper right barely moves the ball at all - it just seems to die when it hits a ball. (Which is strange, because when I test the flipper with my hand, it feels fairly strong and then goes into "hold" mode just fine.) I've checked and there is absolutely no flipper drag, and everything beneath the playfield seems loose and free, with no binding. The return spring is snappy but with only enough tension to return the flipper. I've tried adjusting the EOS switch so that it breaks at the very end of the stoke, but that hasn't seemed to make any difference.

FYI, the flipper coils are all Gottlieb A-5141, which is spec.

Any ideas?

#2 6 years ago

What's the voltage at the coils?

#3 6 years ago

14v and 28v (low/high) on all 4.

#4 6 years ago

Is it possible the coil is only operating on the lower, "hold" phase? Is there any easy way to test for this?

#5 6 years ago

Can you post pictures of your wiring?

If you disconnect the eos and it doesn't get any weaker, then it may be only the hold

#6 6 years ago

Did you clean your cabinet and end of stroke switches and make sure they were adjusted properly?

#7 6 years ago

Gentlemen - I found the problem with the upper-right flipper (which was the one that was clearly not working right). The fishpaper between the leaves had split and was resting against the contact -- so while the switch looked closed, it was actually holding the switch open (low power). I think the other flippers are all operating correctly and that I just need to upgrade to the more powerful 5141 'orange' coils.

I appreciate the help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anemic-flippers-even-after-rebuild and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.